• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
That's not SC, but yes SC will utilize streaming tech to eliminate loading screens. At least in its initial release there won't be free form interaction with planets, as they're sticking with hand crafted cities/settlements/areas rather than fully generating the hundred or so planets that will be in the first wave. For settled planets you will be forced into a computer guided (on rails) landing sequence, but will still be free to walk about ship and such while it's landing.

They're researching procedural tech to make this feasible at some point down the line, though.

Q : On the topic of procedural generation planetside, when and if this technology comes to fruition post release, what can we expect to see included besides exploration and atmospheric flight? Will we see some new procedurally generated planets in addition to the ones already in the verse that are just barren? Is it also possible that this procedural generation will extend into jump points as well and actually facilitate the creation of new planets and areas.

A : We're doing the R&D right now. Actually the first thing we're doing with the PG is researching asteroid generation, asteroid field generation, the ability to mine asteroids using voxel technology, so finding the seams of minerals inside the asteroids. Then the plan is to extend it to system generation so we can generate different star systems using the PG tech and then move on to celestial bodies like planets in terms of the generation of them from the exterior. The later stages will be procedural work for the environments you'll land in, we would have certain areas we would design and then flesh out the background city or landscape beyond the area you can explore. And then very very very long term if we can actually figure out a way to make the planet actually interesting, we would try to make a planet you can fly around in. THAT'S SORT OF LIKE A PIPE DREAM AT THE MOMENT. because even with PG you have to do a lot of other things like build cities, what happening on the planet and having all that simulated, and that's uh......we're already doing trying to do a whole universe and have an economy and all that work so.... *CR visibly grimaces*. I wouldn't promise anything on that yet. We certainly are going to research on could we extend the areas on the planet, could you fly down onto a planet. If we can do all that, that would be great. I know that there's a couple of demos and games out there that are showing/promising it, but it's one thing to show it as a general concept, it's sort of empty, and it's another to have it be interesting and feel like its properly living, breathing, realistic planet.

I wouldnt hold my breath till 2020 ;)

masterkajo

Stop throwing all those dates around. Star Citizen is the game of the forever!

Indeed, I was just fightins some Vanduul right now when suddenly my engine and main thrusters were flying past my window. A sight to behold. No wonder, the ship wasn't maneuverable anymore. I cannot wait for my Cutlass to be flyable.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/16/w...-and-the-new-way-to-fund-aaa-games-interview/

GamesBeat: Which elements of the game are going to finish first? What targets are you looking at right now?

Roberts: It’s hard to say. This year we’re going to show the first-person combat. We have a couple of big iterations on the Arena Commander, with things like multi-crew ships and some other functionality. Next year we’re going to be showing the planetside stuff. We’re starting Squadron 42, the first set of episodes there. Then we’ll have the persistent universe. We’ll start with a smaller elements, like one system, and then we’ll add more systems and keep on adding until the content’s complete.

The backers should be able to fly around in a small version of a persistent universe toward the end of next year. By the end of next year, the beginning of the following year, everything will be feature and content complete. All along the way, though, they’ll be playing. They can play this, go head to head against other people. That’s kind of the content curve.

I guess the fully playable game is coming around mid 2016... Ugh...

I love how the planetside module has been quietly delayed by a year (it was supposed to be playable three months ago, according to last year's schedule). The timeline he discusses above jives with a more specific one he gave to a German magazine in April. I don't have a link available right now ... I can post it when I get home from work tonight if anyone wants to see that.

Most of that is him simply turning decoupled mode on and off rapidly to drift around things (along with the ai control thing and g-safe). However, the one part I can't explain is around 2:28 when he literally just drifts left, right, up and down without moving his ship. How the hell is he doing that? He goes from moving straight forward to sideways drift without moving his aim at all.

Lumicide

Banned
Most of that is him simply turning decoupled mode on and off rapidly to drift around things (along with the ai control thing and g-safe). However, the one part I can't explain is around 2:28 when he literally just drifts left, right, up and down without moving his ship. How the hell is he doing that? He goes from moving straight forward to sideways drift without moving his aim at all.
That's the "decoupled" mode, you can press Caps Lock to toggle. 'A' and 'D' strafe, 'Q' and 'E' translate up/down. It'll probably be put into the standard flight model, and decoupled will be an uncorrected Newtonian mode.

I didn't watch the whole video, but I'd imagine he's probably just flipping between Comstab/G-Safe otherwise.

That's the "decoupled" mode, you can press Caps Lock to toggle. 'A' and 'D' strafe, 'Q' and 'E' translate up/down. It'll probably be put into the standard flight model, and decoupled will be an uncorrected Newtonian mode.

I didn't watch the whole video, but I'd imagine he's probably just flipping between Comstab/G-Safe otherwise.

Ah, okay. So there is no way to strafe with a joystick in decoupled mode? When I use it with my joystick I can yaw/roll/pitch, but I can't actually make my ship move up or to the side. It turns me into a rotating turret more than anything else.

Lumicide

Banned
Ah, okay. So there is no way to strafe with a joystick in decoupled mode? When I use it with my joystick I can yaw/roll/pitch, but I can't actually make my ship move up or to the side. It turns me into a rotating turret more than anything else.
I think the strafe default bind is oddly to the rudder in decoupled mode, so if you have a twisty stick, it may be that. There are some XML's floating around, or you can edit them yourself, to rebind your stuff as you see fit.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...454/guide-actionmap-and-controller-mapping/p1

I think the strafe default bind is oddly to the rudder in decoupled mode, so if you have a twisty stick, it may be that. There are some XML's floating around, or you can edit them yourself, to rebind your stuff as you see fit.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...454/guide-actionmap-and-controller-mapping/p1

Hmm. I've rebound my joystick so the twist is now roll (as it should be!!), and tilting the stick to the side is yaw (since it's a slower action that is used less often). But when I go into decoupled it stays the same, oddly, where the default bindings seem to change depending on the mode.

Hopefully they allow us to fix the bindings soon.

The patch was only like ~700 megs or so, it just goes through all the gigses when applying the updates to the files (if you're looking at the 10 gigs remaining thing).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Damn! They're still 11,454 away from me!

How do I know which number I have?

Uee Citizen Record #234996

Is it that? Oh come on :(

Yep, that's your citizen number. They'll get to you eventually. =P At least you're not No. 450,000 or something!

Around the Verse Episode 02 is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHBBOoZy-w&list=PLVct2QDhDrB290jDIeV9fTTq-X8Kt49nX&index=2

Surprise ship sale tomorrow! X'ian Scout!

Announcement in video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHBBOoZy-w#t=24m27s

qiNLE0H.jpg

I haven't watched episode 2 yet, but I didn't really enjoy episode 1. I much preferred Wingman's Hangar. There's something about Sandi and Ben I just don't enjoy. He's not as disarming as Eric, and she is just extremely awkward in everything she does. And have they brought back that "Community Rep" that no one likes because he is so fake?

Are they at least doing questions from readers? F-f-f-forum feedback was my favourite part of WH.

masterkajo

Wow, dare I ask how much? No, don't tell me. I don't want to know. With the steam sale going on right now...

But it looks really sexy. Do we have any info on the ship? It does look very light and nimble (it is a scout after all) but are there any stats to compare to exisiting ships? I couldn't find any info the ship specs page. Or is it the "qhire khartu-al"?

"Wow, dare I ask how much? No, don't tell me. I don't want to know. With the steam sale going on right now..."

Wasn't the Scythe like 300? I'd imagine about the same.

friday

So is the FPS point of view ever going to not have that strange movement to it? Walking around the hangar makes my head feel strange. Anyone else have this issue? It is like a strange input lag or something.

MrBig

So is the FPS point of view ever going to not have that strange movement to it? Walking around the hangar makes my head feel strange. Anyone else have this issue? It is like a strange input lag or something.

Yes, it's due the in-progress first person body/animation system. They're working on it.

CTLance

A Xi'An scout? Looks ridiculously fragile. Maybe I'll melt my Aurora LX or LN for it though, if it's affordable enough.

Which I doubt.

Very much so.

In other news, my second card is on its way. Yay! Soon I'll have two cards for maximum card-age! Kneel before me, mono-card-peasants!
Did anyone here upgrade their freelancer? The DUR upgrade (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/431-freelancer-dur-upgrade) seems very nice...
I did. My Durrship shall blot out the sun
with its wreckage
!

I figure a Freelancer makes a pretty good exploration vessel. High fuel efficiency, loads of storage for extra fuel and loot, moderate weapons loadout and focus on durability, if the ads are to be believed - sounds perfectly suited for exploration. After all, the initial jump will be a rather dangerous one, according to the Roberts. ( ...and when I get blown to bits I'd rather have a large metal sarcophagus instead of a tiny tin can like the 315p)

Irobot82

Hey joystick and HOTAS fellow....and M+KB I suppose. Have you guys tried out VoiceAttack yet? It's freaking awesome. Check this out. VoiceAttack

I picked it up with this ARK pack. It works sell most of the time but you cannot talk in sentences and then try a command it gets confused. I also couldn't get decouple to work I had to change it to "D couple" lol

It's an awesome way to change shield and weapon powers on the fly though.

Edit: It a pain if you want it to enter text string in the macro. You have to enter each key separately. That being said. I created one I voice as "Initialize control systems" and it will ~ pp_rebindkeys (then go to the path of my custom .xml file for my T-Flight. I'll test it tonight to see if it actually works.

MrBig

Hey joystick and HOTAS fellow....and M+KB I suppose. Have you guys tried out VoiceAttack yet? It's freaking awesome. Check this out. VoiceAttack

I picked it up with this ARK pack. It works sell most of the time but you cannot talk in sentences and then try a command it gets confused. I also couldn't get decouple to work I had to change it to "D couple" lol

It's an awesome way to change shield and weapon powers on the fly though.

Edit: It a pain if you want it to enter text string in the macro. You have to enter each key separately. That being said. I created one I voice as "Initialize control systems" and it will ~ pp_rebindkeys (then go to the path of my custom .xml file for my T-Flight. I'll test it tonight to see if it actually works.

I haven't tried the function yet, but you should be able to use the record macro then just do whatever with the keyboard to do complex text entry.

I've been using VA for a while and found it quite useful since there's not a whole lot of the commands bound to the 360 controller, and many of those that are require you to take your fingers off the sticks.

I've set up a command list that has all the keybinds and commands separated to make the command building/editing process easier, anyone's welcome to take a look at it or build off of it - http://honklr.com/pub/gaf/starcitizen/voiceattack/

Voice attack will be fantastic when used with an Oculus Rift and HOTAS. Mmmm. Probably won't be happening until 2018 or so, when I expect the full game to come out/be finished, but it will be awesome.

Daedardus

A Xi'An scout? Looks ridiculously fragile. Maybe I'll melt my Aurora LX or LN for it though, if it's affordable enough.

Which I doubt.

Well, the ship weighs less than a 300i but features four TR3 thrusters and all manoeuvring thrusters are TR2. The ship will be quite agile, if you ask me. It's also fully stocked with alien technology and should provide a different player experience. I'm betting this will be the same price as the Scythe was.

Dries

Laughing here. Just went into free flight for the first time and it's like my character is completely drunk. All I'm doing is spinning uncontrollably lol.

Any beginner tips?

Irobot82

I haven't tried the function yet, but you should be able to use the record macro then just do whatever with the keyboard to do complex text entry.

I've been using VA for a while and found it quite useful since there's not a whole lot of the commands bound to the 360 controller, and many of those that are require you to take your fingers off the sticks.

I've set up a command list that has all the keybinds and commands separated to make the command building/editing process easier, anyone's welcome to take a look at it or build off of it - http://honklr.com/pub/gaf/starcitizen/voiceattack/

Nice I may end up pinching a few of yours.

Durante

It's smart to do a "holographic viewer", so you don't have to transfer any textures. Makes stuff rather immediate and still cool looking.

Daedardus

The new video is even better! I'm seriously considering to pledge for one, but it seems like there's no mention of insurance whatsoever. And if they release the 890 Jump and it's awesome, I can always melt down this one to soothen the big spending.

Decisions, decisions...

metalshade

Reminds me of the door burst scene from Equilibrium.
Also, turrets in space is a non-issue in my opinion, I mean, when the full 6dof flight is enabled as we are promised it will be, turreting will just be something one does momentarily, mixing it in with other manoeuvres.

Anywho, damn that Xi'an scout looks SO damned awesome, and I am glad to see a design that uses an enclosed cockpit for once. Shame it will probably be very difficult to get a hold of in-game, cos I WANT ONE! In racer red too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom