• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzeentch

890Ship-Po-02.jpg

heavybreathing.jpg
This is the first ship I've seen in SC that made me say "Wow!"

That is a sexy beast.

Tommyhawk

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
They're doubling the Arena Commander maps' size and improving the assets and lighting. How can you make them look better

Arttemis

Okay. So much of this game is associated with HUGE price tags...

Is this just a crowdsourcing method to bring in a nearly endless amount of development money? Or is the game going to be legitimately INSANELY expensive?

This game looks like it'll be phenomenal, but I have absolutely no interest in giving a penny to a developer that's going to charge hundreds of dollars for a single freaking ship and artificially limit the number and inflate the cost of accessing digital content.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Is this just a crowdsourcing method to bring in a nearly endless amount of development money? Or is the game going to be legitimately INSANELY expensive?

This game looks like it'll be phenomenal, but I have absolutely no interest in giving a penny to a developer that's going to charge hundreds of dollars for a single freaking ship and artificially limit the number and inflate the cost of some digital ships.

it's just a method of fundraising. once the game comes out, every ship will be obtainable in the game for free (besides the cost of the base game).

Zabojnik

If we had a dollar for everytime we answered this question in this thread, we could start working on the first mission pack for Star Citizen.

Long story short: the first thing you said.

This game looks like it'll be phenomenal, but I have absolutely no interest in giving a penny to a developer that's going to charge hundreds of dollars for a single freaking ship and artificially limit the number and inflate the cost of some digital ships.

It's purely for crowdfunding. When the game goes live you will no longer be able to buy ships with money.

All you need is the $30 package and you're set.

*Edit* Also, I got myself a Cutlass Red! Space ambulance here to save your asses. Downloading the patch now and can't wait to also see the asteroid hangar too. :D

Arttemis

it's just a method of fundraising. once the game comes out, every ship will be obtainable in the game for free (besides the cost of the base game).

If we had a dollar for everytime we answered this question in this thread, we could start working on the first mission pack for Star Citizen.

Long story short: the first thing you said.

THANK YOU! Great to hear! I browsed the official website for at least five minutes and that answer wasn't readily available, so I really appreciate the quick response. Maybe it should be included in every OP?

I can totally support this kind of development! Looks gorgeous, and some of the concept art is giving me huge Battlestar Galactica vibes, which makes me uncontrollably want to jump into a viper or raptor lookalike and fly around.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I can't get over how fucking beautiful that ship is. I said it before but that'll definitely be the first ship I'll try to get ingame. Must... resist... wallet... urges...

MrBig

Maybe it should be included in every OP?

I did trim down this OP a lot and don't plan to expand it much in the future, but this is what I included in the OP about that, in attempt to stress that the game itself is $30, and that anything additional is optional while requiring people to put in their own effort to understand what it is they would be paying for with the more expensive packages.
The base game is currently the $30 Aurora MR, which acts as a pre-order for digitally delivering the game to you after the testing phases. If you wish to take part in pre-release testing, and are willing to appreciate the open development process, during which there will likely be many tribulations, there's the $40 Aurora MR+ package. There are other packages available, so if you want to research the game and decide to donate more money you are welcome to do so.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I don't follow SC so sorry for the dumb question but that was another one of those concept sales right? For ships that don't have in game models yet?

Is there a reason they don't wait for the in game stuff to be done before selling them or is the model not expected to be complete forever or something.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't follow SC so sorry for the dumb question but that was another one of those concept sales right? For ships that don't have in game models yet?

Is there a reason they don't wait for the in game stuff to be done before selling them or is the model not expected to be complete forever or something.

mayweather-money.gif

Zabojnik

A combination of the things you said, but I'd say mostly to maximaze sales / crowdfunding and keep the ball rolling.

Zabojnik

Welp mission complete if they just made $534,000. Is the demand for new ships always like this (re-selling out that fast) or is it just the LTI ones?

There's no stopping this train. New ship / variants comes out, people start throwing money at the screen. Endless cycle. :)

Just as well, since it's pretty clear that this is the most ambitous game ever. They'll need every dollar.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Welp mission complete if they just made $534,000. Is the demand for new ships always like this (re-selling out that fast) or is it just the LTI ones?

The demand for these is especially high because they're limited. They're only selling so many of them right now. Usually when a ship goes on sale, it's an unlimited number of them for a limited amount of time (like a week), so the demand isn't as immediately insane.

Zabojnik

Good news for you lowly Aurora plebs.
:p
You'll be able to test/fly all five currently available Arena Commander ships for the next seven days.

EDIT: beaten

Life time insurance I would guess. And the sheer fact that they have basically made the ships they said they were going to make before. No reason to believe that they won't continue the the job.

Personally if the Carrack has the specs and the looks as speculated, I might actually get that concept. I believe because I actually can see the other 3 ships I own and fly one of them.

Was the anything else on the Avenger?

No. :-(

However, IIRC, it will be a part of AC 1.0, so we will be able to fly it by the end of the year at least.

2015 is going to be a great year for SC. It always felt so impossible before that they could do all of this work and actually get things out the door (somewhat) on time, but it's finally starting to look like they'll get it done. It's great being able to see how their progress from so many teams is starting to come to fruition. Multi-crew demo, planetside demo, FPS demo this month, SQ42 is surely coming along well and of course, continued releases of AC. They've been doing a great job on the production front, and I can't wait to see how it all starts coming together next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom