• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

My Mustang Beta still cannot mount wing size 1 type 1 weapons correctly :(

They can fire for about 10 shots until they run out of energy and power due to not bering correctly connected to the heat pipe system.

I'm studying an advanced heat transfer course right now. It has left me wondering, how do ships manage all that heat anyway? Is it all pumped back to the hydrogen exhaust, do they have a way of turning it into electricity or does a ship radiate so much energy that it would kill hundreds of people who've been in the vicinity of the ship?

Accumulation of heat is actually one of the biggest problems space ship building faces, and I'm rather curious towars hearing their ingame explanation.

Zabojnik

I'm studying an advanced heat transfer course right now. It has left me wondering, how do ships manage all that heat anyway? Is it all pumped back to the hydrogen exhaust, do they have a way of turning it into electricity or does a ship radiate so much energy that it would kill hundreds of people who've been in the vicinity of the ship?

Accumulation of heat is actually one of the biggest problems space ship building faces, and I'm rather curious towars hearing their ingame explanation.

The correct answer is always nanomachines, m8.

Zalusithix

You're better off not looking too deeply at the physics aspects of the game. Star Citizen does a decent job at allowing the suspension of disbelief with its systems and lore, but if you really start analyzing things, it all falls apart. Nothing in SC would hold up to real life scrutiny. On the other hand, real life space combat wouldn't be much fun at all. Given it's a game we're aiming for and not a simulator for NASA, fun is more important.

injurai

Banned
I didnt know they are aiming at such a crazy concepts with aliens :eek:

75hYJAF.jpg

38LgcTD.jpg

CqKdB6N.jpg

when did this become a thing?

oh my goodness

btw: I'm amazed that they are now above 60 million. This games funding has no end in sight.

You're better off not looking too deeply at the physics aspects of the game. Star Citizen does a decent job at allowing the suspension of disbelief with its systems and lore, but if you really start analyzing things, it all falls apart. Nothing in SC would hold up to real life scrutiny. On the other hand, real life space combat wouldn't be much fun at all. Given it's a game we're aiming for and not a simulator for NASA, fun is more important.

Are you telling me you do not want to fly 1 million KM from one another at relativistic speeds and kill each other with beams and missiles, whilst a targeting computer calculates trajectories?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opMGRIpUbO8

Wow, at this video. Best gameplay Star Citizen video i've seen so far.
It shows exactly why its not really matter if spend thousands or just 35 dollars on this game.

God, this video got me so hyped :(

Right at the beginning he does this little half turn as he's strafing around the asteroid, really slick flying. See this is why gimbal control should be separated from flight. Maneuvering and piloting to aim is more fun than aiming to fly.

Geist-

Right at the beginning he does this little half turn as he's strafing around the asteroid, really slick flying. See this is why gimbal control should be separated from flight. Maneuvering and piloting to aim is more fun than aiming to fly.

Press Ctrl-C to lock flight to mouse.

Geist-

I use a stick. I mean overall, to let piloting the ship be the key of space combat. Not "space turrets."
My mistake. Here's a tidbit from the 10 for the Designers video last week concerning that.

Tboneman Asks: Are you guys planning on doing anything with gimballed weapons (class 2 weapons and the like) in regards to using the joystick? Right now it seems like the weapons that are considered class 2 or class 4 are stuck just straight ahead for joystick users.
CR: Yeah, we're definitely looking at this one, I've actually been looking for quite a while, even back at 0.9 I was working on a system where joystick users are given control over the gimballed weapons using a hat on the top of the stick to guide the aim around. Rather than a mouse control where you'd aim within a grid, the hat would be more of a radial system. I actually got it working, but not in a reasonable time for release. It didn't feel right though, and in AC you want to feel like your actions are directly translated to actions in the ship, not that they're being interpreted somehow. Since then we've been looking at alternatives, like the look ahead mode, hooking up look-mode to those controls etc.
DT: Really the basic implementation of that is trivial, hooking those controls up, but it's something that we'd need to provide customisation for etc etc, so really the question is when will the producers have enough time to schedule something like this for the designers/coders etc to tackle. Controls is a big concern of ours, and we're addressing each one at a time. There's just an incredible amount of work that we need to put in to other parts first.

KKRT00

Save that money and get a rift. The consumer version is probably going to be out by the time SC is released.

Rift require additional computing power, like a lot and it probably wont be really viable for longer gameplay sessions.
Its not really that great alternative.

Still i think that TrackIR seems to worth the price in Star Citizen.

mkenyon

Banned
Rift require additional computing power, like a lot and it probably wont be really viable for longer gameplay sessions.
Its not really that great alternative.

Still i think that TrackIR seems to worth the price in Star Citizen.
Do you mean because of the higher refresh rate? Because, duplicating displays doesn't require much power.

KKRT00

If you aren't playing Star Citizen at 60 fps, 1080p+ and some AA you're doing it wrong anyway ;).

But Rift is stable 75hz and higher 1080p :) And i wont have higher res monitor than 1080p, i'll use higher resolution for downsampling :)

With Ryse's AA solution i would not even need downsampling for normal play though.

About VR in starcitizen

Interview with AMD graphics guy

he VR stuff comes about 10 minutes in to the interview. Highlights:

Freesync is not applicable to VR as you want steady frames in VR and not a variable.
AMD has asynchronous computing. It uses the CPU to allow the GPU to remain consistent. Sounds like asynchronous time warp, essentially.
Mantle can be used with dual GPUs to cut latency in half. Star Citizen was used as an example, as apparently it was a developer on that game who first tried it out.

A wootwoot to that CIG programmer for implementing one-gpu-per-eye via Mantle. To me that's a very big deal. SC is the most demanding game I am looking forward to for VR. Whoevers got the edge there has a good chance he will get my money.

Asynchrounous computing is much broader than Asynchronous time warp. The latter is just one application scenario of the former. As far as I understand it. It just means the hardware allows you to go in at any stage and get priority schedule over the rendering pipeline to do additional stuff on a very tight deadline. Carmack mentioned such as being very important quite a few times....

I logged in and got a strange bug happening: missiles are missing from my Superhornet and I can't track or lock vanduul. They just show up as un-tracked friendlies. I tried using a Superhornet with two weapon swaps, and a F7-C stock to see if the outfitting was causing an issue. Still happening. Hopefully a patch comes soon.

I logged in and got a strange bug happening: missiles are missing from my Superhornet and I can't track or lock vanduul. They just show up as un-tracked friendlies. I tried using a Superhornet with two weapon swaps, and a F7-C stock to see if the outfitting was causing an issue. Still happening. Hopefully a patch comes soon.

Delete your user folder.

Tommyhawk

This is what the box art will most likely look like:

box-art1uzke8.png

box-art6zkw6.png

The 300i is just a placeholder. There will be a community voting on the fourth ship.

Zalusithix

box-art1uzke8.png

box-art6zkw6.png

The 300i is just a placeholder. There will be a community voting on the fourth ship.

I think that regardless of the ships chosen, the hull variants should be chosen to represent the different aspects of the PU. For instance, the Hornet only has one, so that would be combat. Let the Connie be a Taurus for trade. Then have the Freelancer be the DUR for exploration. Cap it off with a 300R for racing if we're going with the 300 series. Different ships, different manufacturers, different purposes, one game.

Daedardus

Man, due to university I'm getting such a big information backlog on this game. And with all this Order 1886 rampage I'm too afraid to go on GAF anymore :p. Gonna take this weekend and catch up on all the important news, does anyone have a link where I can read about the biggest recent events?

Votings for the boxart seems to have opened just now, too. Picked the 890 Jump obviously. Seems a bit early in my opinion to have a box art right now, the game isn't even around the corner yet. My guess is that they'll redesign it at least five times before it's released :p.

Zalusithix

Man, due to university I'm getting such a big information backlog on this game. And with all this Order 1886 rampage I'm too afraid to go on GAF anymore :p. Gonna take this weekend and catch up on all the important news, does anyone have a link where I can read about the biggest recent events?

Votings for the boxart seems to have opened just now, too. Picked the 890 Jump obviously. Seems a bit early in my opinion to have a box art right now, the game isn't even around the corner yet. My guess is that they'll redesign it at least five times before it's released :p.
It's ridiculously easy to get backlogged on SC news. The amount of information pushed out every week is immense. Granted a lot of it is of minor importance, but the fact that we have it at all is a testament to the features afforded by the subscribers. Star Citizen probably has more backer communication than every other crowd-sourced game put together.

As for the voting on the box art... I'm just going to hold my vote until later and see what I can influence. At this point I'll take anything over the Bengal which has the lead. That box design just wont work when the scales are that out of whack. Putting a carrier side by side with the hornet which is dozens of times smaller, but scaled to be the same size on the artwork.... Do people even think when they vote?

epmode

For Star Citizen. I get the impression Squadron 42... which is sold separately when the game goes retail...

Wait, what? I paid close attention to this game for the first year+ and I don't remember anything about the persistent universe and single player mode being sold separately, retail or no.

Do you have a link?

MrBig

Wait, what? I paid close attention to this game for the first year+ and I don't remember anything about the persistent universe and single player mode being sold separately, retail or no.

Do you have a link?

The PU has been sold separately from SQ42 in the past (with the aurora sale, specifically), but I'm not aware of any plans to make them a separate product.

Zalusithix

It really doesn't really matter as this is for the box that backers will be getting. Personally, I like its simplicity. The use of the Star Citizen logo at each corner is overkill, and they should be removed, but the 4 ships with the central logo concept is nice. And really that's what it is at this point - a concept. It would be cool if it was like some old school PC boxes where the cover folds out for further wide aspect artwork on the inside. In this case pulling it open could reveal a space action scene (here's where the Bengal would fit nicely).

Zalusithix

I can attest that TrackIR is pretty awesome for SC :)

TrackIR is pretty awesome for just about any sim-ish type game. Being able to look around easily without changing the direction of the vehicle is a godsend. In the case of SC, the gimballed weapon benefit is just icing on the cake. Pretty sweet icing I will admit though.

box-art1uzke8.png

box-art6zkw6.png

For anyone getting confused about this the image of all four ships is not the box art, it's what you could stack it up like if you bought all 4 different collectors editions of the game. Each section is a box itself, hence the logo in every corner.

Zalusithix

For anyone getting confused about this the image of all four ships is not the box art, it's what you could stack it up like if you bought all 4 different collectors editions of the game. Each section is a box itself, hence the logo in every corner.

That is definitely not how I'm reading it.

Transmission said:
As Sandi announced on Around the Verse today, we’re in the process of designing the collector box art for Star Citizen! The artwork is being developed by Chris Olivia, and there will be four separate pieces which combine to form a larger image. Since early Hornet, Freelancer and Constellation packages included boxes, we’ve included those ships on three of the options… and now we’d like to let the community pick the fourth! You can see the early WIP version of the box here, with a 300i standing in for the fourth box. If you’d rather see a different ship, you can pick it from the list of already-revealed Star Citizen ship options below. Polls close at midnight Pacific time on Friday, February 27th and the winner will be announced on the following Around the Verse.

Everything is singular when in reference to the box. The only plural is 'pieces' which represents the fact that the final art is composed of individual pieces in tiled fashion, and 'packages included boxes' which is in reference to the only ways you could get a box. The only contradiction to this is the 'the fourth box' part where 'box' probably should have been 'piece'. Even the caption for the 4 pieces together says "WIP concept for the Star Citizen box"

If there are indeed four boxes, very few will ever have all four, so what you could do with a full set means nothing.

That is definitely not how I'm reading it.

Everything is singular when in reference to the box. The only plural is 'pieces' which represents the fact that the final art is composed of individual pieces in tiled fashion, and 'packages included boxes' which is in reference to the only ways you could get a box. The only contradiction to this is the 'the fourth box' part where 'box' probably should have been 'piece'. Even the caption for the 4 pieces together says "WIP concept for the Star Citizen box"

If there are indeed four boxes, very few will ever have all four, so what you could do with a full set means nothing.

http://youtu.be/_t0ZSV6CJQ8?t=4m28s

Sandi states that you only get that image by putting them all together, saying its particularly for collectors. It's about 10 seconds from where I linked it for you but that's the start of her breakdown of the box art design. It's definitely 4 separate boxes and you can even see it in the first image.

Zalusithix

http://youtu.be/_t0ZSV6CJQ8?t=4m28s

Sandi states that you only get that image by putting them all together, saying its particularly for collectors. It's about 10 seconds from where I linked it for you but that's the start of her breakdown of the box art design. It's definitely 4 separate boxes and you can even see it in the first image.

Indeed, she does say that. So much for an accurate and clear summary on the actual voting page.

So I'm apparently wrong, and as such, no longer care what ship is chosen. Seriously, how many people are going to have 4 physical copies with no duplicates? Especially given the fact that they stopped giving physical boxes and goods to package pledges some time back. Heck, many people melted their package with physical goods for a digital one without realizing it and had to buy physical goods back when they were offered in the limited time sale. Even then, they couldn't buy the actual box without a whole new package pledge which was also time limited. Now we have a situation where you need no less than 4 package pledges old enough to have physical goods to get a design effect for the cover.

Designing a cover around a concept that extremely few people are going to be able to actually realize is silly. It's not even good as a money grab since there's no way for people to spend money now to achieve the outcome.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Designing a cover around a concept that extremely few people are going to be able to actually realize is silly. It's not even good as a money grab since there's no way for people to spend money now to achieve the outcome.

There probably will be boxed copies of this game in retail stores. But yeah, buying three more copies of the game (or four if you didn't pledge for a physical copy already) is ridiculous. Hopefully the community can convince them to just make one good-looking boxart.

Zalusithix

There probably will be boxed copies of this game in retail stores. But yeah, buying three more copies of the game (or four if you didn't pledge for a physical copy already) is ridiculous. Hopefully the community can convince them to just make one good-looking boxart.

These are supposed to be "collectors" boxes and only came with the more expensive ships, so I don't think they are what you'll see in the store.

epmode

There probably will be boxed copies of this game in retail stores. But yeah, buying three more copies of the game (or four if you didn't pledge for a physical copy already) is ridiculous.

And yet a significant number of people will. You know the fanbase as well as I do.

I'm concerned that CIG will continue to design the game around the whales even after release. Stuff like this isn't helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom