• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
For people who have an Avenger, how are you enjoying it?

The guns suck and it handles like a DOG on the race track, but it takes a good beating and is generally fun to fly.

Once I'm in the PU, I'm swapping the wingtip ion cannons for actual guns that do actual damage, and I'm going to try to find a way to get more missiles on that thing.

Geist-

The guns suck and it handles like a DOG on the race track, but it takes a good beating and is generally fun to fly.

Once I'm in the PU, I'm swapping the wingtip ion cannons for actual guns that do actual damage, and I'm going to try to find a way to get more missiles on that thing.

I would make any judgments about the quality of guns based on what's currently in AC, it's a safe bet that most of them will be getting major changes way before the PU is released.

Personally, I'm waiting until REC comes out then outfitting the weapon of the week until some semblance of balance is maintained.

To be fair we have had threeAvengers so far. 1st was a light and nimble fighter, 2nd a boat with engines not working so it slid and slid across space. Currently it feels more in line with the 300i but less smooth. The "intercept" part of it is also lacking because the main thruster feels severely underpowered for the size. Distortion cannons were useless in their current form so it was removed for a pair of Panther repeaters in the latest patch. Main gun is still pretty bad with a long spooling time and lack of punch.

KKRT00

Do they have any more milestone goals whenever they reach a certain amount of money or what do they spent all that money on?

They stopped with stretch goals, but every few millions they generally talk were they want to expand or what are they doing with money, like recently they opened studio in Frankfurt focused on rendering technology and CryEngine enhancements.

Daedardus

There aren't new stretch goals because all the extra money is going to new sports cars for Chris Roberts. Glassdoor only confirmed what we knew.

Shy

But just to balance out that enthusiasm, check out their Glassdoor Reviews. As always, take everything posted there with a grain of salt.
*gasps* nooo......... :(
As someone already suggested, take everything at that Glassdoor site with a grain of salt. More specifically, it would seem the harsh messages that appear there were written by what seems to be one very disgruntled and obsessive SC fan who goes by the handle: jcrg99

He has multiple accounts at multiple gaming sites, and additional sock puppet accounts to make it appear that there are others in agreement with his claims. A Google search on his handle will lead you to the rabbit hole if you wish to go down it, but there is this thread over at the RSI forums where some of the members there started to piece together the bread crumb trail that leads to rather compelling evidence that the Glassdoor stuff was all written by the same person... so, yeah. (the evidence starts to be revealed on page 4)

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/197262/i-m-skeptical-but-this-disturbs-me
phew. ok everyone back on board.
4DpXuUr.gif

so, i've been poop-socking the new season of house of cards. and seeing the inside of air force one, reminds me how shit the constellation phoenix interior is.

i know constellation's are getting redesign, but i'm worried that it won't include the phoenix.

also i've been playing the mining mini game. i kinda like it.

Keasar

so, i've been poop-socking the new season of house of cards. and seeing the inside of air force one, reminds me how shit the constellation phoenix interior is.

i know constellation's are getting redesign, but i'm worried that it won't include the phoenix.
Didn't they already get a redesign? I remember seeing a update where they for instance moved all the sleeping compartments forward in the ship or are we talking about another one?

Would hope so, personally I would like to see the interior split into smaller rooms. Looks so incredibly dangerous having everything split off by a single door. Would be better if the bridge was a separate room as well.

Didn't they already get a redesign? I remember seeing a update where they for instance moved all the sleeping compartments forward in the ship or are we talking about another one?

Would hope so, personally I would like to see the interior split into smaller rooms. Looks so incredibly dangerous having everything split off by a single door. Would be better if the bridge was a separate room as well.

It did get reupdated for PBR and the constellation commercial.. but they are redesigning the interor again for modularity purposes and increasing detail. Same as they are doing with the cutlass.

Keasar

It did get reupdated for PBR and the constellation commercial.. but they are redesigning the interor again for modularity purposes and increasing detail. Same as they are doing with the cutlass.

Ah, that is good. Looking forward to seeing the results then.

The latest 104TC was just great.

The next update will contain all of the 64bit physics, world transforms, etc... and the rendering will be done all in 32 bit precision (instead of the mixed 32 / 24 bit that it currently is).

Saweeet.

Kabouter

The next update will contain all of the 64bit physics, world transforms, etc... and the rendering will be done all in 32 bit precision (instead of the mixed 32 / 24 bit that it currently is).

Saweeet.

So when do I get to fly my Freelancer? Probably not for a few more months right?

So when do I get to fly my Freelancer? Probably not for a few more months right?

They still have to implement the sparse rendering and multiple physics grids into the Arena commander build. So... I would imagine sometime in the summer.

Both of those things are something games have really never had... so I think it taking time is quite reasonable.

Daedardus

Saweeet.

So this means the maps can be bigger?

Kabouter

They still have to implement the sparse rendering and multiple physics grids into the Arena commander build. So... I would imagine sometime in the summer.

Both of those things are something games have really never had... so I think it taking time is quite reasonable.

I have no idea what those things are, but summer it is, thanks :p

I have no idea what those things are, but summer it is, thanks :p

Hah yeah. The one allows for efficient rendering of highly detailed objects (with internal spaces, like ships).. and the other allows the ship to fly around at massive speeds with characters being able to walk around inside of it (as well as having its own internal gravity). Pretty big stuff for multi-crew ships! :D
They are implementing even advanced melee combat :O

Yeah, that should be great.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Saweeet.

My 2.8ghz i5-760 is gonna melt after the next update, isn't it? I can run the game on High at about 30 fps right now, but I fear for my CPU's safety once this game really ramps up the features.

mkenyon

Banned
My 2.8ghz i5-760 is gonna melt after the next update, isn't it? I can run the game on High at about 30 fps right now, but I fear for my CPU's safety once this game really ramps up the features.
Yeah, you're gonna need an upgrade.

Maybe it'll hang on until Skylake and DDR4 though. At least overclock it to get some extra life out of it though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, you're gonna need an upgrade.

Maybe it'll hang on until Skylake and DDR4 though. At least overclock it to get some extra life out of it though.

That's what I'm hoping to do. Damn technology isn't advancing fast enough

I have a stock fan in there, so I'm not too keen on OCing it. Maybe I'll set a big box fan right up against the tower, haha

But yes, I've known that I need to upgrade my computer by the time SC is somewhat finalized. I just hope I won't need to do that just because of Arena Commander 1.1's 64-bit larger map stuff.

mkenyon

Banned
Just go buy an aftermarket heatsink. You'll be able to bring it over to whatever new PC you buy. They're still using the same socket layout. 1156/1155/1150 are all the same.

Zabojnik

God, I wish we'd get a new sneak peak of S42. I know performance capture has yet to happen, but still. Shubin station + mining spiders featurette was GOAT.

Geist-

They are implementing even advanced melee combat :O

I would have been happy with just punch and block honestly with knockout mechanics, so I can beat people up in the streets. If this project wasn't already overly ambitious, I think this might push it into a certainty.

Besides that, this really was a fantastic 10FTC. Lots of great information, good stuff to think about. My favorite part was the first question:

1. “Will player organizations be able to recruit NPCs into their ranks? If not, what other mechanics might be put in place to allow organizations without 24-hour activity to protect organization-focused content like captureable space stations and capital ships?”
a. “The concept we have with NPCs is that you can absolutely hire them to do jobs for you. So while organizations won’t recruit NPCs, you can hire NPCs. So can individual players. These NPCs can fulfill roles like on a spaceship or standing guard over an asteroid base, and the like. There will be a fair amount of NPCs – CIG is looking at SQ42 and the Idris (which doesn’t even feel like a frigate anymore – it’s massive), and it has 71 NPCs in the “Intersticial” – which is when you’re on board the ship and running around in between combat. During those times, you can talk to people and form relationships – there’s still a lot to do. Thus, there are 71 NPCs in the ship to really fill it out. There will always be a balance of NPCs and players, so if you have a bigger ship with like eight of your friends, and you’re all on the Idris, then you’d have NPCs that you’d hire for security and other roles.”

This makes me so happy, soooooooo happy. My biggest fear was that the largest ships (which I intend to own one day) were going to feel pretty empty. I mean, 10 crew for the Idris, which is 240m long and has multiple decks, doesn't seem like it would be very full. But add 71 NPCs? That's when it starts feeling like you're flying around in the fucking Enterprise.

Maybe I'll dress them in red shirts and send wave after wave of them at the enemy, Zapp Brannigan style.

Daedardus

The local news here is saying that Pebble has become the most succesful crowdfunding project ever. Guess they never heard of Star Citizen.

God, I wish we'd get a new sneak peak of S42. I know performance capture has yet to happen, but still. Shubin station + mining spiders featurette was GOAT.

No spoilery sneak peaks, just release the first episode already!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The local news here is saying that Pebble has become the most succesful crowdfunding project ever. Guess they never heard of Star Citizen.

Did they add "on Kickstarter"? Because then that sentence would be true. (Star Citizen doesn't even make the top 10 most successful Kickstarters.)

KKRT00

Did they add "on Kickstarter"? Because then that sentence would be true. (Star Citizen doesn't even make the top 10 most successful Kickstarters.)

Which is pretty funny considering that when the campaign first started without Kickstarter support people where screaming that it will fail, that it needs to be on Kickstarter to take off :)

So what are the major changes in 1.1? Does it actually add new ships or anything like that, or is it mostly balancing, refinement, bug fixes and the like?

i heard of the REC system which allows the rental of ships in Arena Commander with some tutorial missions.. 64-bit conversion and maybe some new weapons and shields along with some flight ready ships.

So what are the major changes in 1.1? Does it actually add new ships or anything like that, or is it mostly balancing, refinement, bug fixes and the like?

New ship, new damage modelling being introduced with the new ship, new attachement system / hardpoint system... 64 bit world and physics (no more jitter). new game modes, and probably tons of bug fixes.

Quite a bit! Also, the new FPS rigging I imagine.

EDIT: And REC!!!! :D

on top of what everybody else said;
Retaliator in Hangar
Gladius and maybe Gladiator flight ready
new landing system with possible asteroid hangar to practice in

Kabouter

New ship, new damage modelling being introduced with the new ship, new attachement system / hardpoint system... 64 bit world and physics (no more jitter). new game modes, and probably tons of bug fixes.

Quite a bit! Also, the new FPS rigging I imagine.

EDIT: And REC!!!! :D
on top of what everybody else said;
Retaliator in Hangar
Gladius and maybe Gladiator flight ready

Nice! Looking forward to that :)

Daedardus

Man those screens and art look so good, it even makes me sad that I can't play those parts yet :(.

Nope, I checked that because I knew that SC had only like, what, $3 million?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Nope, I checked that because I knew that SC had only like, what, $3 million?

Not even. Just $2.1 million. But still, whoever wrote that story was dumb.

Which is pretty funny considering that when the campaign first started without Kickstarter support people where screaming that it will fail, that it needs to be on Kickstarter to take off :)

I guess, but to be fair, they got a third of their initial funds from Kickstarter pledges, and pledging through the website was dismal for several months after the initial campaign. So for almost all of the first year, adding Kickstarter looked like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom