• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
FPS update: It still doesn't work

Monthly report: All our 30 studios are working hard on content you'll see in 2019. Also man these Ferraris sure are fast.

^_^

Edit: Only *slightly* less jokey addendum to monthly report: We are also working to hastily jerry-rig a demo for Gamescom that isn't even remotely representative of any functional/prototyped systems as they are all still theoretical at this point, but hey it sure looks cool. And so would hitting 100 mil before the end of the year go team!

epmode

Monthly report: All our 30 studios are working hard on content you'll see in 2019. Also man these Ferraris sure are fast.

^_^

Edit: Only *slightly* less jokey addendum to monthly report: We are also working to hastily jerry-rig a demo for Gamescom that isn't even remotely representative of any functional/prototyped systems as they are all still theoretical at this point, but hey it sure looks cool. And so would hitting 100 mil before the end of the year go team!

I don't even need to read it now. Thanks!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Maybe they can show it on Hololens!

(joking, the display mostly works as described other than the FOV)

^_^

I don't even need to read it now. Thanks!
Oh Damn! Disco Lando accidentally leaked the next monthly report!

leak06ugp.png

It bothers me that a lot of people don't understand that if this game weren't being crowd funded, you probably wouldn't even know it was in development yet.
I mean, even if it gets delayed to 2017, it's still a ~5 year development, which is very short considering the scale.

tuxfool

Banned
I think everyone here is being very tongue in cheek with their "disappointment".

Quite. It was somewhat obvious from their tone that the netcode they were working with was a pile of crap.

What does make me somewhat curious is how the fps sections in sq42 will work. There is no point in releasing the fps module on account of the netcode but I was also under the impression that the fps system was being integrated to sq42.

Zalusithix

I think everyone here is being very tongue in cheek with their "disappointment".

Well, we do have some people that are rather disappointed with the delays and/or direction the game has gone in. Still, for the most part, we don't have much of the doom and gloom here. Compared to the official forums, it's sunshine and roses around these parts. (Though to be fair, the subscriber's forums are much less toxic.)

tuxfool

Banned
I'm about half serious at this point. The occasional sale of $400 concept art + incredibly slow progress in the public branch isn't helping.

Think about it this way. I'm pretty ok with this but I didn't dump any more money other than the basic package. If more people did the same as me, then the game wouldn't be anywhere near as ambitious and might have progressed further.

So all those people with much more investment in the game that might be displeased have in part contributed to slow progress.

I'm in the half serious boat too. I don't think there's any real doom/gloom/scam/whatever, and I do think we'll all be playing Star Citizen happily sooner rather than later, but the lack of any real tangible content from the other aspects of the game is a bit annoying. I know the S42 stuff is very spoiler sensitive, so there's that, but all the other guys? I don't mind roughness. Show me some grayboxes. Show me concept art/sketches. Show me models in progress. The monthly report updates go into incredible detail about all the work Austin, for examaple, is doing building the PU. Throw us a few bones Chris! Not just a single concept pic with each monthly report.

KKRT00

I'm in the half serious boat too. I don't think there's any real doom/gloom/scam/whatever, and I do think we'll all be playing Star Citizen happily sooner rather than later, but the lack of any real tangible content from the other aspects of the game is a bit annoying. I know the S42 stuff is very spoiler sensitive, so there's that, but all the other guys? I don't mind roughness. Show me some grayboxes. Show me concept art/sketches. Show me models in progress. The monthly report updates go into incredible detail about all the work Austin, for examaple, is doing building the PU. Throw us a few bones Chris! Not just a single concept pic with each monthly report.

This one is in-engine:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/glr2lqjpgfd81r/source/Starliner_actionshot2_compFlat.jpg

Geist-

This game for sure will not completed till 2017 at the absolute earliest.

As long as we can get some real, visible progress soon, I'm totally fine with this. I'd rather have some proof that it will eventually meet expectations then them trying to rush it out because of impatient fans.

Burny

As long as we can get some real, visible progress soon, I'm totally fine with this. I'd rather have some proof that it will eventually meet expectations then them trying to rush it out because of impatient fans.

At this point it's probably impossible to meet expectations. Just looking at the insane amount of features they're promising, we'll be lucky if no more than half of them will be noticeably bugged at "release". I'm keeping my expectations in check at least.

Zalusithix

Pomerlaw

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...1-1-1-xml-added-acceleration-based-speeds/p25

My current balance pass has one ship capable of hitting 14G's (with boost, y+). That's still a lot, but the majority of ships cap out at 10G's, if they even get that high. Also, I've increased the gap between acceleration performance (mains) and deceleration performance (retro/maneuver).

Someone mentioned limiting boost with heat - yes, we've started doing this. The biggest hangups for this are getting the HUD to communicate thruster heat/damage/imbalance, tuning the damaged thruster behaviors to be interesting and observable, and providing the player with the tools to do something about that. That's all in the works, but in the meantime, I can change boost rates. 320% is the current peak, with most engines getting closer to 150%. I'm sure there will be a lot to adjust to when these changes go public, But I think it refines the live game towards the things that people are interested in seeing.

I like the sound of that! Maybe a first step in making AC better.

Game's launcher still updates really slow for me.

I have absolutely no hope when updating or re-downloading the game.

Any fixes for this yet?

The game's launcher updates by maxing out my bandwidth. Not sure what is happening.

Make a post on their feedback forum so they can collect the bug.
----------
Anyone watch today's atV? Some great stuff. New character pipeline finalised a few weeks ago and the first character has been produced (the SATA ball character model), FPS animations being tamed and perfected, etc...

And that ultra pretty sneak peak.
http://webm.host/31384/vid.webm

injurai

Banned
I keep seeing them "add things" but where is the gameplay. Other than moving around and playing sims with your onboard coffee machine and rotating turrets around. This game seems pretty limited beyond gunplay and dogfighting. The racing they showed really didn't seem like much. I have no sense of any larger economy and what various other gameplay facets will be hooked into.

It doesn't seem that they have been transparent in this regard.

I keep seeing them "add things" but where is the gameplay. Other than moving around and playing sims with your onboard coffee machine and rotating turrets around. This game seems pretty limited beyond gunplay and dogfighting. The racing they showed really didn't seem like much. I have no sense of any larger economy and what various other gameplay facets will be hooked into.

It doesn't seem that they have been transparent in this regard.

Have you read the design posts regarding these things? They definitely have discussed the non-combat careers and even how the larger population/economy simulation is going to be.

While watching AtV, I paused it, and blurted out a nice loud "hah!"
Is a very nice looking ship. Fantastic materials and covers.

injurai

Banned
Have you read the design posts regarding these things? They definitely have discussed the non-combat careers and even how the larger population/economy simulation is going to be.

I mean do they have anything to show. It seems all so esoteric right now. Or if they don't do they have a roadmap to developing those things?

I mean do they have anything to show. It seems all so esoteric right now. Or if they don't do they have a roadmap to developing those things?

They have an entire studio making the larger grande scheme persistent universe stuff in Austin, TX.
I am positive they have a very long roadmap.

In terms of stuff to show? Gamescom will show off the PU module again (which we hopefully have not too long after in our hands...) which is the starting test bed for NPC interaction, and large player interaction on worlds. It is also one of the landing hubs/zones in the persistent universe.

Mr.Mike

I do hope that they release the whole open world, persistent universe thing sooner rather than later, even before it's "finished". The modules are cool and all, but what I really want to play is the persistent universe. I can imagine a situation where they finish all of the modules but then the persistent universe would still take a while to come out after that, especially given the insane amount of things they've promised for it. Some basic economy (mining, trading) and piracy with a few planets to start off with and I'll be happy, then they can over time add of the rest of the stuff, like this civilian transport, exploration and more planets and stuff.

injurai

Banned
They have an entire studio making the larger grande scheme persistent universe stuff in Austin, TX.
I am positive they have a very long roadmap.

In terms of stuff to show? Gamescom will show off the PU module again (which we hopefully have not too long after in our hands...) which is the starting test bed for NPC interaction, and large player interaction on worlds. It is also one of the landing hubs/zones in the persistent universe.

Alright, I guess it had just been too early to show off. Usually games brew for 2-3 years before becoming public knowledge. Knowing about this game before development is making the wait very long.

epmode

Honestly, none of that is really hard to implement. A few mini games tied with a lot of RNG situations that can pop up. Compared to the engineering challenges that cargo movement and whatnot would represent, it seems rather tame.

While the other systems are obviously more complicated, it still won't be easy to get all of that stuff up and running. But really, It sounds utterly miserable to play. It takes all kinds I guess.

More than a 1000 people have already purchased the star liner? That's > $400,000 o_O

If this game has any chance of actually existing as described, they're going to have to milk the whales for all they're worth. Imaginary imaginary ships for everyone!

This game for sure will not completed till 2017 at the absolute earliest.

This plus Amy Hennig's Star Wars game. 2017 should be an amazing year.

I'm ok with that.

So, the Freelancer is getting a redesign that's bigger? Have the devs confirmed this? I personally can't afford to spend $150 on a "virtual" ship right now (building my rig) but it's on my Christmas list for this year.

Zalusithix

While the other systems are obviously more complicated, it still won't be easy to get all of that stuff up and running. But really, It sounds utterly miserable to play. It takes all kinds I guess.

That much I will agree with. Playing the manservant to NPCs doesn't exactly thrill me as a concept. And lets face it, that's 99.9% of what you'll be seeing - NPCs. Players will have their own craft, or will be passengers on ships with more to do than sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

It'd be more fun to take the NPC passengers and go rogue. Ship takes off, and your crew comes out of the back room as armed pirates instead of flight attendants. Then proceed to the nearest pirate outpost and sell them off as slaves. =P

viveks86

It'd be more fun to take the NPC passengers and go rogue. Ship takes off, and your crew comes out of the back room as armed pirates instead of flight attendants. Then proceed to the nearest pirate outpost and sell them off as slaves. =P

LOL

If this game has any chance of actually existing as described, they're going to have to milk the whales for all they're worth. Imaginary imaginary ships for everyone!

Haha. Really hope all this shit comes together at some point. I'm not spending a dollar on this game until I see a cohesive demo, trailer and final release date. Until then, it does manage to keep me interested at least.

KKRT00

I do hope that they release the whole open world, persistent universe thing sooner rather than later, even before it's "finished". The modules are cool and all, but what I really want to play is the persistent universe. I can imagine a situation where they finish all of the modules but then the persistent universe would still take a while to come out after that, especially given the insane amount of things they've promised for it. Some basic economy (mining, trading) and piracy with a few planets to start off with and I'll be happy, then they can over time add of the rest of the stuff, like this civilian transport, exploration and more planets and stuff.

Thats exactly the plan. First alpha of PU will contain one solar system and then it will expand to few systems, then more systems etc.\

----
Haha. Really hope all this shit comes together at some point. I'm not spending a dollar on this game until I see a cohesive demo, trailer and final release date. Until then, it does manage to keep me interested at least.
If You already bought the game, dont spend any more money on it.

Obviously I don't know the specifics, but taking things at face value, leaving Star Citizen to go and work on WoW seems like a bit of a step backwards. Interesting [Edit: I said interesting, I actually mean weird] choice.

Zabojnik

Obviously I don't know the specifics, but taking things at face value, leaving Star Citizen to go and work on WoW seems like a bit of a step backwards. Interesting [Edit: I said interesting, I actually mean weird] choice.

Eh, I don't know about that. If you look at what SC is trying to achieve, then sure. As for everything else ... Blizzard is the bigger company, he's likely getting a pay raise and a lighter workload. I'm guessing here, but it wouldn't surprise me if the latter was the why.

May Ganesha preserve Tony Zurovec.

Eh, I don't know about that. If you look at what SC is trying to achieve, then sure. As for everything else ... Blizzard is the bigger company, he's likely getting a pay raise and a lighter workload. I'm guessing here, but it wouldn't surprise me if the latter was the why.

May Ganesha preserve Tony Zurovec.

True, true. It's been a long time since I played WoW and because I don't fall in the MMO circles these days I kinda discount it as a relic of an older era (that I associate with my past), but I forget that it's still going as strong as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom