• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Snazzy. Would be sweet if you could customize it, like change color, add a skin, hang a small dangler on it or something. Just for fun. Still looks great in any case.

I think you can - that is a concept art of the backer-exclusive skin they are making for it, so by extension I guess that means there will at the least be different styles you can have.

elyetis

Don't get your hopes up. I don't wont it to be a poor experience, but if you go in expecting it to be great, or even to have any fun at all you'll be setting yourself up for a bad time - and that would be the users own fault.
Before the delay I would have said the same. But you can't have them say that it was delayed because it has to be good and more polished than a typical "Alpha"; and say that we shouldn't even expect it to be fun.

Blizzard

Banned
I am starting to get concerned this may not live up to people's expectations.

Before the delay I would have said the same. But you can't have them say that it was delayed because it has to be good and more polished than a typical "Alpha"; and say that we shouldn't even expect it to be fun.

I rather agree with this. I'm all for keeping lowered expectations in general, but 40 MILLION DOLLARS is a huge amount of money, and if people are throwing money at something of that magnitude, I think the company should have a degree of accountability.

I know "eye candy" of some sort is nice to look at, but I strongly suspect that there are people who contributed to the $40 million who DO know something about programming, or games, or engines, who would be happy to see some of the other details as well. It's a bit insulting to everyone's intelligence otherwise. :p

In particular, the thing to think about is if $10 million gets you XYZ stuff, and maybe it's buggy and has bad performance and maybe that's ok because it's beta...haven't there been quite a few indie developers who have produced more polished things for far less money, possibly even in less time? Granted, maybe a lot of the funds are going to producing assets which will not apply to early builds. Still, my opinion is that people should be careful about excusing too much unless there is a high degree of transparency about the internal development and priority process.

I don't think it not being fun will be a problem, I think what will cause people to be disappointed will be the scope of it. The DFM is intended to be rather arcadish: complete with getting points for killing ships and rapid respawns. Meanwhile, the community is all about making the game as realistic and immersive as possible. You can bet that there will be a torrent of threads on the forum (as with any new news...) complaining about how the DFM is pretty much an arcade game and that's not what they pledged for etc etc. Hopefully that'll be nothing more than a vocal minority.

MrBig

I don't think it not being fun will be a problem, I think what will cause people to be disappointed will be the scope of it. The DFM is intended to be rather arcadish: complete with getting points for killing ships and rapid respawns. Meanwhile, the community is all about making the game as realistic and immersive as possible. You can bet that there will be a torrent of threads on the forum (as with any new news...) complaining about how the DFM is pretty much an arcade game and that's not what they pledged for etc etc. Hopefully that'll be nothing more than a vocal minority.

Sure, the experience in its current stage could be great fun, I just don't see the appeal of letting your hopes wander: if it's great then enjoy it, if not then listen to what CIG has said about it, tell them what you think about it in its current state, and how you think it could be better. It's my feelings most people's expectations (for anything, not just SC really) are ridiculous, and when I look at the official forums I see those feelings holding true. While such people are the vocal minority, it's the loudest voices that everyone hears in any situation.

Also the DFM really is an arcade experience, its system is to be a sort of VR/arena mode for the PU.

aY227

I rather agree with this. I'm all for keeping lowered expectations in general, but 40 MILLION DOLLARS is a huge amount of money, and if people are throwing money at something of that magnitude, I think the company should have a degree of accountability.

I know "eye candy" of some sort is nice to look at, but I strongly suspect that there are people who contributed to the $40 million who DO know something about programming, or games, or engines, who would be happy to see some of the other details as well. It's a bit insulting to everyone's intelligence otherwise. :p

In particular, the thing to think about is if $10 million gets you XYZ stuff, and maybe it's buggy and has bad performance and maybe that's ok because it's beta...haven't there been quite a few indie developers who have produced more polished things for far less money, possibly even in less time? Granted, maybe a lot of the funds are going to producing assets which will not apply to early builds. Still, my opinion is that people should be careful about excusing too much unless there is a high degree of transparency about the internal development and priority process.
I think that anyone who is sensible and follows 10 to the chairman, most streams and news knows where the money are going and what they've already done.
People who dont and could be disappointed with DFM, should not even try it and just wait for Squadron 42 release. But i also think that the same people will be blown away at the end of the day, because they did know that they even planned of features they will release.

The reason why we dont have more hangar updates and DFM was delayed is because
people are expecting polish, which is the exactly opposite of the first Chris Robert premise of releasing tons of pre-alpha i alpha content for gamers to review.
Its a little shame that CR cant release more now, but at the end of the day, its all about final product, not the journey of making it.

But it's also the core gameplay loop for a big portion of the players. So it really, really has to be fun and engaging. Even on its own.

It should be, but it probably won't be right off the bat. Most alphas are not that fun for long periods of time because they lack important features.

When dogfighting launches I expect it to have lasers/machine guns and maybe simply heatseeking missiles. But I don't expect ECM or electronic warfare in general, manned turrets, shared targeting intel for a squadron (in fact I don't even expect team play at first), etc.

Basically it's going to be between 2-8 single-pilot fighters with machine guns and lasers in a small area, at least at first. Then as the months go on they will most likely add team play, more weapons, more ships, larger battles, etc. Exactly what you'd expect in an alpha.

So does anyone know when the dogfighting is available? I spent 75 without even thinking about it as I know I'm going to want this game but I'm ready for some actual gameplay.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Looks like SC will be using an AI System developed by a company named Kythera:

http://www.kythera.ai/case-studies/star-citizen

It seems to be a pretty good system, there are also videos with brand new footage on their site (follow the "read more" links), so watch them!

Wow, great videos.

And this is the press release:

Moon Collider and Cloud Imperium Announce Partnership to Supply New Kythera AI Technology for Chris Roberts’ Star Citizen Space Sim

Los Angeles, March 12, 2014 – Moon Collider™, the company behind the ground breaking artificial intelligence (AI) system, Kythera®, announced today a partnership with Cloud Imperium™ Games, the makers of the PC space sim, Star Citizen™, from legendary developer Chris Roberts. Today the two companies drew back the curtain on the artificial intelligence underpinning in Star Citizen’s immersive universe. Kythera will be the guiding hand for computer-controlled characters and spacecraft throughout Star Citizen.

Speaking from their offices in Edinburgh, Scotland, Moon Collider officials said they were thrilled to see their hitherto-secret licensee unveiled. “You’ll soon find Kythera in a range of titles, from an indie hack-and-slash to a point-and-click adventure, but we couldn’t have a better showcase than Star Citizen,” said founder and CEO Matthew Jack. “We call Kythera the dynamic AI, and our ambition for it is to step up to the next level of creative gameplay and immersive worlds. So it’s a perfect match for Star Citizen – this generation’s most dynamic and immersive PC game.”

Star Citizen’s eager backers will get their first glimpse of Kythera in the upcoming Dogfighting Module, which will see players jump in their spacecraft for life-and-death battles against each other and the AI. Thanks to Kythera, would-be top guns will meet computer-controlled opponents with individual, recognizable flying styles – each with weaknesses to be exploited and strengths to be feared.

“Kythera’s AI is exactly what we need for a game like Star Citizen,” said Cloud Imperium’s Chris Roberts. “The dynamic nature of the technology allows for more realistic dogfights, but at the same time it delivers a very true-to-life universe where planetside environments will be able to display very large scale city simulations all going on at once. Kythera will give Star Citizen a true world AI rather than a less dynamic scripted AI which you may find in other games.”

And according to Moon Collider’s CEO, Star Citizen’s success is good news for the whole industry. “Star Citizen’s breadth of vision is stunning, and because we’ve been working so closely together, a lot of that vision is reflected in Kythera,” he observed. “So to everyone who’s backed the crowd funder, a big thank-you. You’re not only making Star Citizen the breathtaking experience we all know it will be, you’re also driving technologies which will shape the future of gaming for years to come.”

High-quality images and other media resources are available for immediate download at https://www.hightail.com/download/elNLak84NDJLVlZMWE5Vag.

Cloud Imperium Games Corporation and its subsidiary Roberts Space Industries was founded in April 2012 by renowned game developer Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer) and his business partner and long-time international media attorney Ortwin Freyermuth. Under Roberts’ leadership using his long-standing relationships in the game space, Cloud Imperium quickly assembled a top tier development team for the creation of art assets, story elements, and an extensive prototype for its first game Star Citizen. Star Citizen is being marketed and launched via www.robertsspaceindustries.com. Cloud Imperium’s strategy is about customer acquisition through established game designer fan bases. More information about the company, including jobs and contact information can be found at www.cloudimperiumgames.com.

Moon Collider is an established artificial intelligence consultancy headquartered in Edinburgh, Scotland. Its groundbreaking AI middleware platform, Kythera, aims to shorten development cycles and unlock new styles of gameplay by responding dynamically to changes to the in-game world. The company is funded by private investment and is privately held. For more information on Moon Collider and Kythera, see www.kythera.ai.

Daedardus

Cool vids.

Apparantly the company is founded by a previous Crytek employee who's worked on the Crysis 1&2 AI. Take that as you wish.

Also, they do seem to love splines. I hope I never see them again.

epmode

What was wrong with fan videos and showing em?

Nothing, so long as they're good. See Valve's community for examples of good fan videos. The stuff on Wingman's Hangar was the very definition of waja.

Anyway, fan videos will still be shown. The quality bar has gone way up is all.

Nothing, so long as they're good. See Valve's community for examples of good fan videos. The stuff on Wingman's Hangar was the very definition of waja.

Anyway, fan videos will still be shown. The quality bar has gone way up is all.

ha. I prefer the german word :D

fremdschämen

Deadstar

Can anyone tell me when the next big update is? I haven't really been following. I mess around with the hanger every few months but it all seems the same. Is there a date for the alpha yet?

Tommyhawk

Can anyone tell me when the next big update is? I haven't really been following. I mess around with the hanger every few months but it all seems the same. Is there a date for the alpha yet?

The dogfighting module should be out in April and will be unveiled on the 10th of April at the PAX East.

I wonder if the 50 Million Funding Goal will be something particularly massive. That would be such an impressive milestone for a crowd-funding product, I hope they would properly celebrate it.

I voted Eris as I feel like most people are going to vote 3Dingo (my favorite, though the thrusters are too tiny) so I may as well vote for my second favorite instead to ensure it moves on.

I voted Eris, with Tallon being my second choice. What held me back from Tallon was that the back end of the ship felt too flimsy, it needed stronger connectors.

I am not a fan of 3Dingo's redesign, the back end doesn't match the front at all. The front is big and blocky and strong, and the back is intricate and smaller. It needs to be re-weighted in terms of where things are. It's better than the first phase, but I don't like it.

I am so ridiculously excited for this game, I am thinking of getting a joystick for the upcoming dogfighting module. I may even play back through Wing Commander 2 and 4...

Looking at this one: Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 Stick
5Hk2JLY.png

Any feedback?

Tommyhawk

I am so ridiculously excited for this game, I am thinking of getting a joystick for the upcoming dogfighting module. I may even play back through Wing Commander 2 and 4...

Looking at this one: Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 Stick
5Hk2JLY.png

Any feedback?

It's a cool looking stick but alas not a good one.
I've also did some search since I needed one and the Mad Catz stick had a lot negative reviews.

There is a good thread on the official forum, where they compare different sticks and HOTAS:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...ist-of-fan-recommended-joysticks-and-hotas/p1

The consensus is that the Thrustmaster T16000M is the best flight stick which you can get for little money. I have bought that stick because of that recommendation and I couldn't be happier.

It's a cool looking stick but alas not a good one.
I've also did some search since I needed one and the Mad Catz stick had a lot negative reviews.

There is a good thread on the official forum, where they compare different sticks and HOTAS:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...ist-of-fan-recommended-joysticks-and-hotas/p1

The consensus is that the Thrustmaster T16000M is the best flight stick which you can get for little money. I have bought that stick because of that recommendation and I couldn't be happier.

Great, thanks for the feedback! I will check it out. I had the Thrustmaster classic stick (3000 maybe?) back in my Tie Fighter / Wing Commander prime. Great product but I would wear out the springs. Those sticks costed something like $90, which was a lot to a 13 year old kid.

Great, thanks for the feedback! I will check it out. I had the Thrustmaster classic stick (3000 maybe?) back in my Tie Fighter / Wing Commander prime. Great product but I would wear out the springs. Those sticks costed something like $90, which was a lot to a 13 year old kid.

Forgot to say too that the Thrustmaster stick will definitely result in less ridicule from my wife for owning such a ridiculous stick like that Mad Catz. ;)

Tommyhawk

Well, you won't have problems with the strings with this one.
This stick also uses the Hall sensors which are very precise and you normally see them only in such pricey HOTAS sets as the Warthog.

MrBig

Apparently there's actually about 20k slots left. Alpha slots are reportedly disappearing at more the than the observable ~150/day as CIG has been feeding back unused slots, as instead of considering each package to take up a slot, now each account with an alpha access package takes up a slot.

At the current rate they should run out just before the DFM is shown off at PAX, but they'll probably add more slots a bit after the DFM goes live, because why not if it's all working? Perhaps even removing the slots system would be a good move post DFM.

Zabojnik

So I guess we'll be seeing a bit of the DM before PAX, nice. They'll be running a 'behind the (DM) scenes' feature on TNGS for the next three Fridays, while the teams continue to work on their ships.

Al13n

Neo Member
Maybe a really really dumb question, but what will be the best way to play this game competitive? Mouse or joystick?

epmode

Maybe a really really dumb question, but what will be the best way to play this game competitive? Mouse or joystick?

No one has played the game yet. Give it a few months.

I'd be surprised if mouse/keyboard ended up with a competitive advantage, though.

MrBig

Considering mouse control would be emulating a joystick instead of raw mouse movement translating to ship movement, there shouldn't be an advantage, which I'm pretty sure is what CIG wants for any control system - to not have being successful in combat tied to control schemes alone. Exception may be the Rift and TrackIR which frees up needing headlook from a stick/mouse and makes that aspect a lot easier to control.

I don't think anyone can really comment on what control scheme will be the BEST yet (though many insist it'll be HOTAS), but I wouldn't worry about kb/m or gamepad being terrible compared to joysticks since they want to reach as large an audience as possible. It is safe to say that TrackIR, Oculus Rift, or something else that gives headtracking will give a significant advantage over not having it though.

one of the devs said this months jump point will focus on the retaliator and from the sound of it, really increased in size to be a lot larger than the stella. Can't wait to read it!

Keasar

one of the devs said this months jump point will focus on the retaliator and from the sound of it, really increased in size to be a lot larger than the stella. Can't wait to read it!

If you become a subscriber now, will previous issues of Jump Point be available to you as well?

If you become a subscriber now, will previous issues of Jump Point be available to you as well?

Yes, subscribers have access to all previous jump point issues and all the exclusive art in the vault. Been considering re-subscribing at the Centurion level after I ended my year-long Imperator subscription, but I just can't decide if it'd be worth it to me now. I guess I did just get a small raise...

Keasar

Yes, subscribers have access to all previous jump point issues and all the exclusive art in the vault. Been considering re-subscribing at the Centurion level after I ended my year-long Imperator subscription, but I just can't decide if it'd be worth it to me now. I guess I did just get a small raise...

I believe so. It gives full accress to Jump Point and the art archives.

Sweet, might do that later then. :)

Top Bottom