• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Blizzard

Banned
I got a Thrustmaster T.16000M joystick per the recommendation, thanks to whomever mentioned it. Of course, it may be another 6 months before Facebook buys Star Citizen, and another 6 months after that before a flyable build is out, but until then at least I'll have the stick ready. :p

Zabojnik

The X-Wing series taught me to love it and I now can't even imagine playing a space sim with a static power grid.

Same here, except for me it was Tie Fighter. I was so glad when CR first started talking about shield & energy management, engine tuning, etc. While I don't necessarily think SC is going for the 'hardcore simulation' space-sim, it's good to know that they'll let us tinker with a lot of (sub)systems. Should make for some interesting and diverse flying.

MrBig

March Monthly Report is up, just as long as the last one
Cockpitmockup2.jpg

(mockup of hornet UI)

I adore the simple visuals of this UI, everything is cleanly presented. Hard to tell how it feels since we don't know what info is important yet, but my hopes are high. Bad UI/UX can really kill my interest in a game.

Other art is posted with the report as well

Blizzard

Banned
The UI looks cool, but those tiny letters and numbers seem like they would be 90% unreadable with the Rift. And for conveying visual information, why a numerical percentage indicator of repair and no progress bar?

The pictures on the left are also big and don't seem to provide any useful information, while the actual important information like ammo/item counts are ultra tiny (and thus unreadable in the Rift).

For comparison:
tumblr_mx15ojeyut1qzksnuub.gif

Note how the important information like shield levels, energy/laser mix and so forth are all presented near the center of the display, in visual rather than numerical form. Some information is in numerical form, but even then most of it is pretty close to the center of the screen, so you don't have to move your eyes far. This has the added benefit of giving you the least blurry, highest resolution area at the middle of the Rift display.

MrBig

The UI looks cool, but those tiny letters and numbers seem like they would be 90% unreadable with the Rift. And for conveying visual information, why a numerical percentage indicator of repair and no progress bar?

The pictures on the left are also big and don't seem to provide any useful information, while the actual important information like ammo/item counts are ultra tiny (and thus unreadable in the Rift).

Rift specs are up in the air in the moment, so while that should be taken into consideration it may be fine, but font size is a thing that could and should be user customizable.

They've talked before about wanting the UI to be very modular, so that you could turn off anything you don't need to see, and move it to where it makes the most sense to you. Edge UI may be difficult to use in the rift as well. Star Citizen is Oculus's biggest supported/announced game atm, I'm sure they know a general spec to shoot for as well as already having access to higher fidelity kits for practical testing.

e: for your edit, non numerical UI elements are something I despise in games, they should never be used without accompanying metrics. They're ok for glancing at, but you can never gain any more information from staring at them than you can from glancing.

Blizzard

Banned
Rift specs are up in the air in the moment, so while that should be taken into consideration it may be fine, but font size is a thing that could and should be user customizable.

They've talked before about wanting the UI to be very modular, so that you could turn off anything you don't need to see, and move it to where it makes the most sense to you. Edge UI may be difficult to use in the rift as well. Star Citizen is Oculus's biggest supported/announced game atm, I'm sure they know a general spec to shoot for as well as already having access to higher fidelity kits for practical testing.

e: for your edit, non numerical UI elements are something I despise in games, they should never be used without accompanying metrics. They're ok for glancing at, but you can never gain any more information from staring at them than you can from glancing.
Font size being customizable is something I agree with, whether it's Rift or PC. Being able to customize the UI was something that was mentioned, good point.

In a real aircraft lots of pure numerical or text information might be presented, but it's also very compact and real life is very high resolution.

In a fast-paced game, I would say you want to be able to quickly see everything without having to spend a bunch of time staring at (or even worse turning your head to see) certain controls while trying to dogfight. Having numerical information in addition, or supporting, is good -- and even in the example screen I posted that also exists. But for clarity and ease of use, having things larger and simpler is great.

For a vaguely similar comparison, the holographic ship configuration user interface was INCREDIBLY frustrating to use, even moreso if you are wearing the Rift since you seemed to need to find a proper distance to lock yourself in at, and then you try to manipulate things. It's a situation where you could have a weird holographic interface, with snapping slide rotation that may jump back unexpectedly, or you could have a 2D ingame menu (HUD or monitor or whatever). If you had a menu, you could instantly pick ship, weapons, test station, select. Even if no one had used it before, they could still do that.

I'm a bit concerned that trying to make something like that futuristic and 3D both costs a ton of effort in creating it, AND makes it practically orders of magnitude less efficient, less clear, and more frustrating whether it was real life or a game.

I still think the Hornet's cockpit doesn't provide enough visibility. Why do entry-level general-purpose ships have better sight lines than a state-of-the-art single-purpose dogfighter?

MrBig

I still think the Hornet's cockpit doesn't provide enough visibility. Why do entry-level general-purpose ships have better sight lines than a state-of-the-art single-purpose dogfighter?

Major information in dogfighting will come from the 3D radar and HUD, with you really only looking out the cockpit for lining up shots; things like the aurora are for looking at pretty images outside, and lacks the radar found in the Hornet.

injurai

Banned
March Monthly Report is up, just as long as the last one
Cockpitmockup2.jpg

(mockup of hornet UI)

I adore the simple visuals of this UI, everything is cleanly presented. Hard to tell how it feels since we don't know what info is important yet, but my hopes are high. Bad UI/UX can really kill my interest in a game.

Other art is posted with the report as well

7ZpBz.gif

I really wasn't liking the first pass cockpit mock ups. This looks amazing.

Zabojnik

... and Gavin Rothery, production designer on the movie “Moon”, has started work on the UEE Gladius.

Dem Chris Roberts' Hollywood connections. Would be really great if they managed to sign someone like Ron Perlman for motion/body capture.

epmode

For a vaguely similar comparison, the holographic ship configuration user interface was INCREDIBLY frustrating to use, even moreso if you are wearing the Rift since you seemed to need to find a proper distance to lock yourself in at, and then you try to manipulate things. It's a situation where you could have a weird holographic interface, with snapping slide rotation that may jump back unexpectedly, or you could have a 2D ingame menu (HUD or monitor or whatever). If you had a menu, you could instantly pick ship, weapons, test station, select. Even if no one had used it before, they could still do that.

I would be shocked if the final version of the mobiglass thing is anywhere near as hard to use as the holotable. They're almost certainly holding off on fixing the table until they settle on a mobiglass interface since the PDA will probably replace the table.

Dead Man

For comparison:
http://abload.de/img/tumblr_mx15ojeyut1qzksnuub.gif[img]

Note how the important information like shield levels, energy/laser mix and so forth are all presented near the center of the display, in visual rather than numerical form. Some information is in numerical form, but even then most of it is pretty close to the center of the screen, so you don't have to move your eyes far. This has the added benefit of giving you the least blurry, highest resolution area at the middle of the Rift display.[/QUOTE]
Completely agree.

d0g_bear

They seem to have removed most of the actual screens that were built into the dashboard in the original Hornet:
qUVXvGY.png

Which means more info on the helmet visor, less in the environment. Too bad, I really preferred the grounded-in-reality style of information display.

Having said that - I think CR mentioned that other less combat-oriented ships would have more info on mounted screens since the pilot would be less likely to wear a helmet.

Tommyhawk

They seem to have removed most of the actual screens that were built into the dashboard in the original Hornet:
qUVXvGY.png

Which means more info on the helmet visor, less in the environment. Too bad, I really preferred the grounded-in-reality style of information display.

Having said that - I think CR mentioned that other less combat-oriented ships would have more info on mounted screens since the pilot would be less likely to wear a helmet.

They didn't remove them completely, the information displayed on them just won't be very important:

I can't ABSOLUTELY guarantee they'll be implemented in V1, but Zane has been working on functional displays for the hornet panels lately. They're more or less at the bottom of the priority list as the information there is less important by design, and since we already have an older working fixed HUD we're focusing all effort on the visor display.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2217278/#Comment_2217278

injurai

Banned
qUVXvGY.png

I'm not against physical displays, but come on... that design was a clusterfuck. I wouldn't want to use an interface was weird irregular screens jammed into my flight up all over while these moving spindled screens wizz by my face.

Love the new stuff, It also makes more sense with Oculus VR integration to do it this new way. Though I guess it's also just as cool to need to turn your head to stair right at a display... actually that would be really nice instead of daring your eyes around. For all I know the holograms are actually static.

injurai

Banned
Actually I'm pretty sure it is both. The system is a hybrid of screens and holograms. You can see in the updated UI how everything is being generated off the same cockpit. Just most of it isn't illuminated like previous renders.

MrBig

They are still doing the in-cockpit panels. In that hornet image there are 5 + the radar, and then there are alert lights up at the very top for oxygen, pressure, etc. HUD panels are stuff you always want to be able to see, cockpit panels are things that don't need to be plastered to your face at all times.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Still can't get the HM to run :(
Stuck on the loading screen forever...hope they'll fix this once the DFM modul is released

I've joined the ranks... it's too bad I missed the LTI, but better late than never.

I applied for the NeoGaf Social Community

My ship is the

RSI Constellation
rsiconstellation.jpg

I will only call the Constellation a Conny if everyone calls my Hornet a Horny.

Also what's the deal with their shows today? Is it a TNGS today, or a dogfighting thing again?

MrBig

Also what's the deal with their shows today? Is it a TNGS today, or a dogfighting thing again?

Some sort of filler. Dogfighting stuff will be shown at pax (4/10?), TNGS will be returning the week after next.

Isn't the DFM getting the official moniker of "Arena Commander?"

Should we use that in the new thread title?

I can use it as a subtitle but it's not descriptive enough to use on its own. It's still the DFM, but within SC as a whole the DFM systems will constitute Arena Commander.

P3P5I

The new UI concept does look so much better than what was presented before. When CR posted a video on the "Iron Man" UI, the forums raged hard. I can't imagine what people's reactions would be if that UI went into the DFM.

Zabojnik

The new UI concept does look so much better than what was presented before. When CR posted a video on the "Iron Man" UI, the forums raged hard. I can't imagine what people's reactions would be if that UI went into the DFM.

I liked it. And who's to say they're not going with a refined version of it, since what was shown then was very obviously still in the concepting stage of things. Maybe for another ship/manufacturer?

P3P5I

I liked it. And who's to say they're not going with a refined version of it, since what was shown then was very obviously still in the concepting stage of things. Maybe for another ship/manufacturer?
eh, to each is own:
tumblr_mx01a5X2lm1rlmcw3o1_r1_500.gif

Personally, I didn't like the clutter and apparent absolute uselessness of a majority of that HUD. I don't know how I would be able to track someone with a crosshair as large and obtrusive as that. I don't know how I'd be able to interpret a spherical radar on my 2-D screen. I don't like that radio chatter instrument thing on the bottom left. Also are those lines of code being displayed on the right? Why is that graph on the bottom right doing the worm? Even if all those instruments served some sort of important role, nobody could keep up with that information overload.

I guess my concerns stem from the belief that the military hornet should only have absolutely necessary displays on the HUD.

Zabojnik

Personally, I didn't like the clutter and apparent absolute uselessness of a majority of that HUD. I don't know how I would be able to track someone with a crosshair as large and obtrusive as that. I don't know how I'd be able to interpret a spherical radar on my 2-D screen. I don't like that radio chatter instrument thing on the bottom left. Also are those lines of code being displayed on the right? Why is that graph on the bottom right doing the worm? Even if all those instruments served some sort of important role, nobody could keep up with that information overload.

I guess my concerns stem from the belief that the military hornet should only have absolutely necessary displays on the HUD.

I don't disagree, but I still liked the core style of it. What we saw was clearly a very early prototype and, well, we already know that the HUDs are supposed to be flexible / personalizable to a point, have dynamic states, etc.

skGLlOM.gif

I just want them to keep pushing the envelope and try different approaches. Then again, I'm not exactly what you would call a competitive gamer, so I can live with a bit of style over substance. :p I expect this shit will look spectacular with a hi-res VR headset. Oculus/Facebook pls.

I agree that a 3D radar is a bad idea on a monitor (I would prefer an X-Wing style disc radar, with 2 discs). But with an Oculus Rift on...you'd be able to actually sense the depth of the dots on the 3D radar.

GeoGonzo

I agree that a 3D radar is a bad idea on a monitor (I would prefer an X-Wing style disc radar, with 2 discs). But with an Oculus Rift on...you'd be able to actually sense the depth of the dots on the 3D radar.
Never thought about that... I'd love to see them do this.

Top Bottom