• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Irobot82

What shit? Even the forum post he made he made it clear they are worrying about the PC version first and foremost and will release that. After that, anything is possible.

Him and Sony just have to come to an agreement on the whole patching process. That seems to be the only roadblock and it would be dumb of Sony to allow something as small as the patching process ruin the chances of such a massive game hitting the console.

Anyway, I know I will be buying the PC version anyway, so whatever.

Except that the PS4 would run this at like 5 FPS if they wanted to keep anything close to the same kinds of image quality they want to do with the PC.

If they would do one more weekend of LTI ships, I would probably pick up another ship or two.

As it is, I think I'm done buying.

I'm actually tempted to pick up an LTI ship or two from the gray market.

phoenixyz

Except that the PS4 would run this at like 5 FPS if they wanted to keep anything close to the same kinds of image quality they want to do with the PC.
Console gamers will probably get a dumbed down version of the main game, done by another team, like with Minecraft and Minecraft Mobile Edition.

Zabojnik

The fact that you'll be able to get out of your ship and perform EVA in zero G still gives me chills when I think about it. It's what I've always missed in space sims.

geetec

Neo Member
I have a crew I'm going to be playing with so I ended up getting the Constellation for our larger operations. I'm completely happy with it. Will end up buying other ships with in-game money, losing that Avenger really hurt.

Hm, sounds good man. Well all the best.

...oh wait shit! You can lose ships?!

Console gamers will probably get a dumbed down version of the main game, done by another team, like with Minecraft and Minecraft Mobile Edition.

A number of things have to occur before that is even technically possible. According to all things chris has said (peripheral support, money from the companies, open patching, etc...).

What shit? Even the forum post he made he made it clear they are worrying about the PC version first and foremost and will release that. After that, anything is possible.

Him and Sony just have to come to an agreement on the whole patching process.
That seems to be the only roadblock and it would be dumb of Sony to allow something as small as the patching process ruin the chances of such a massive game hitting the console.

Anyway, I know I will be buying the PC version anyway, so whatever.

Believe, that is not the only thing getting in the way of a console release. Reread chris' post.

Irobot82

10 For the Chairmen just keep getting better. I love hearing how his thoughts are for the game and what some of the deeper mechanics are planned to be.

10 For the Chairmen just keep getting better. I love hearing how his thoughts are for the game and what some of the deeper mechanics are planned to be.

That stuff about the information runner really got me excited because it's clear they want to take this as far as it can go now that they have the means.

Zabojnik

Yep. At the same time though, it really shows how far away the PU release is, since they're still dealing with the design of fairly basic mechanics. It doesn't bother me, since we'll be getting S42 (chunks of it anyway), which is why I pledged in the first place, way sooner, but still. 2019 ftw.

BTW, if you follow forum posts at all at RSI then you may have noticed some posting regarding PBR, the Hangar, and the dog fighting module. We are two patches from PBR in the hangar and it looks as if the dog fighting module may come with PBR.

Rift support looked quite rough from the episode today but glad they are releasing it early to iron out the bugs. Interested to hear feedback from those that own it

CTLance

Theeere we go. Now, can anybody with an OR try out how the Hangar module works in Oculus Rift mode?

patch notes (excerpt) said:
[...]
KNOWN ISSUE – To enable Oculus Rift mode create a file named ‘user.cfg’ in your ‘StarCitizen/CitizenClient’ folder and add the lines ‘sys_currentHMDtype=1’ and ‘r_stereostrength=-8’
KNOWN ISSUE – You may be able to get a better picture by setting the resolution to the native Oculus Rift resolution (1200×800)
[...]

Seems to be pretty damn buggy still.

Zabojnik

Crytek need to get their shit together and add proper support for Oculus. From the way CIG's guys have been talking about it, they seem to be waiting on them to do just that.

MrBig

Crytek need to get their shit together and add proper support for Oculus. From the way CIG's guys have been talking about it, they seem to be waiting on them to do just that.

They've probably got about a year to get support for it right, that's what OVR is putting dev kits out now for...

Blizzard

Banned
They've probably got about a year to get support for it right, that's what OVR is putting dev kits out now for...
Perhaps, but Unity and the UDK have had support for MANY months now, I believe? I am not sure if Oculus found anyone to keep working on the UDK support, but there is at least some level of support there.

I am wondering if lag is a big problem with CE3. I feel like the engine is weirdly laggy, though part of it may be the performance, and part may be obnoxious processing effects like temporal AA in Crysis 2.

d0g_bear

I am wondering if lag is a big problem with CE3. I feel like the engine is weirdly laggy, though part of it may be the performance, and part may be obnoxious processing effects like temporal AA in Crysis 2.

I've been thinking the same thing. Does any CE game have decent OR support?

Blizzard

Banned
I've been thinking the same thing. Does any CE game have decent OR support?
As far as I know, Star Citizen would be the first "game" to provide support (not sure if anyone released demos).

Googling around, it looks like there were some fan attempts to add Oculus Rift support to CryEngine 3, and some official claims of support, but it looks like there are also multiple comments saying that head tracking and/or rendering do not work properly, things are not documented correctly, and basically it looks like everyone has been waiting on CryTek.

CE has a lot of screen base effects and deferred tricks built into it (how it does decals, all the post processing, the reflections, everything).

Getting these to work in a dual rendering scenario is not easy and requires a lot of shader rewriting and manipulation. I can imagine that is one of the many reasons that CE does not currently support it out of the box.
You can trick the game into using dual rendering by turning off most all of the game's effects, then entering the console command for dual rendering. At which point it looks similar to a Unity title in many ways but has proper depth.

Perhaps, but Unity and the UDK have had support for MANY months now, I believe? I am not sure if Oculus found anyone to keep working on the UDK support, but there is at least some level of support there.

I agree about the performance issues I've felt before. This is something they mentioned in Wingman's Hangar today too. Currently the lag is around 40ms measured using Oculus' latency tester.

I wonder, with today's patch do you feel it's any different than before? I wonder if CIG was able to do any work to improve this on their side. Otherwise, they probably just have to wait for Crytek to add official Rift support, which will have to include input optimizations.

Blizzard

Banned
I agree about the performance issues I've felt before. This is something they mentioned in Wingman's Hangar today too. Currently the lag is around 40ms measured using Oculus' latency tester.

I wonder, with today's patch do you feel it's any different than before? I wonder if CIG was able to do any work to improve this on their side. Otherwise, they probably just have to wait for Crytek to add official Rift support, which will have to include input optimizations.
Thanks for reminding me about the latency tester. I have one of those sitting around as well, so I will have to see if it works with the hangar.

Blizzard

Banned
It took ages to get the last few months of patches. I should have started that earlier but I guess I hadn't heard Rift support was coming. :p

Is there any weapon included in the $70 pack? I guess I will have to look up what it's called. I see the shooting gallery but no guns to attach to the mount point.

*edit* Also, that 99% CPU load just running at 1280x720, 60 FPS, on a GTX 770...70C seems way too hot to me for just that. D:

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It took ages to get the last few months of patches. I should have started that earlier but I guess I hadn't heard Rift support was coming. :p

Is there any weapon included in the $70 pack? I guess I will have to look up what it's called. I see the shooting gallery but no guns to attach to the mount point.

You have to mount the guns yourself. Take them off your ships and put them on the mount using the holotable near the entrance.

Blizzard

Banned
Star Citizen with the Rift is laggy, some better if you disable vsync with a config file change. Floor lights further away than 10 feet or so constantly flash/flicker, which is really irritating. I messed around trying to find a setting that would fix it, but failed.

Seeing HUD stuff is kind of cool, but most of it is broken with split cursors in 3D mode, and even if you get the mouse near a hotspot, the hotspots are frustratingly small. Either the laser with the firing range is broken, or the default 316P (I think that's the ship model?) lasers are very random in whether they hit targets. The firing range has no crosshair which also makes it really difficult to aim.

It is a good example of how a 3D holographic interface is very annoying and impractical compared to a simple list of things, or buttons you can press. :p If you have to drag things with the mouse, the hotspots should be HUGE, and snaps should be easy. There should also be no need to move your head way to one side just to look at, for example, weapon selection. And because of the horrible resolution, if you try to move further back to get a wider field of view, you will not be able to see anything.

The Oculus latency tester does not seem to work with Star Citizen at all, so I could not measure the actual latency. I did try the latency tester with the virtual cinema demo, and got about 40 ms with vsync on, 9-23 ms with vsync off.

With 4.5 Ghz 3570k and a 2GB GTX 770, I got 60-70 fps with high settings and 1280x800 or 1680x1050. If I recall correctly, high versus very low settings make little difference in the hangar demo, however. The graphics card usage is pretty much always 99% and hot.

jblank83

Using gifs from KKRT (PBUH). They are much higher quality.
ibmeIrvXd7un7c.gif

1_2.gif

ibttDBCLL0oZkN.gif

Return of the Dralthi... =)

Daedardus

I'm wondering when they'll put up some new ships/models up for sale and to be released in the hangar.

They've been talking a lot about ideas and concepts but it seems like all the concrete stuff is still way off. My interest is slight waning until they release something tangible. I've been avoiding reading/watching too much the past few months as I have the feeling it will all change anyway. The Planetside module was originally planned for April/May but I'm doubting it will even reach us before September, if this year.

A new commercial would cure me from this sickness. Please Chris, I crave for the Freelancer.

Tommyhawk

CIG released a very substantial update on what the different teams have been working on:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13610-Monthly-Report-February-2014

Sounds like they've been doing some really great work.
Can't wait to get my hands on the DFM, although I'm pretty sure that the servers will be brought down by the community in a manner of seconds. ^^

There is a new episode of 10 for the chairman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pxlhEUFUPw

And they've also released the last Foundry 42 update (that with the impressive mining drone) as a separate video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaq7LUOZIkI

CIG released a very substantial update on what the different teams have been working on:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13610-Monthly-Report-February-2014

Sounds like they've been doing some really great work.
Can't wait to get my hands on the DFM, although I'm pretty sure that the servers will be brought down by the community in a manner of seconds. ^^

There is a new episode of 10 for the chairman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pxlhEUFUPw

And they've also released the last Foundry 42 update (that with the impressive mining drone) as a separate video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaq7LUOZIkI

Great stuff! CIG has really increased the pace and quality of information. I love that they're going to have monthly updates now.

Also, 212 people are working on the game. Holy moly!

SmartBase

...We are constantly reminded that providing work that would easily meet expectations on titles like Star Wars The Old Republic or Mass Effect doesn’t reach the high-quality demands of Chris Roberts et al...

Hehe.

I hope they'll have servers outside the states as well for the dogfighting module.

the forums are speculating that Illfonic maker of Nexuiz are doing the FPS part of the game as that studio was redacted in the update. Makes sense as they have experience with cryengine and already have a FPS out already, though I wonder why CIG is keeping the lid on the studio developing it.

Top Bottom