• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

Jazzem

Absolutely loving this so far, the control scheme has a learning curve but I found I adapted very quickly, at least for the on rails segments; I still feel I need to catch it up a bit for the all range mode, but that feels like it's on me more than the game.

I wasn't sure on the gyrocopter stuff at first, but I ended up liking it in a Pilotwings sort of way, nice way to break up the faster action. Same for the walker stuff.

The game has buckets of charm and feels fresh just for being the first traditional Star Fox in years, and honestly how many on rails 3D shooters are there like this in recent times? It helps that it's my first 60fps Star Fox experience (having skipped Assault), which more than makes up for the simple geometry.

After many concerns over the mixed reaction, I'm relieved to say I'm loving this :D

Camjo-Z

Only reason I ask is because I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile posting impressit be of the game here — if anything negative is going to get met with defensive drivel on mere principle.

If you don't like the game and wanna say so, then go ahead. If people deem your criticism as unwarranted or premature they'll feel free to respond, and you can feel free to respond back or just write their complaints off as defensive drivel. It's how a forum works, it's not that hard to get.

Red Devil

Have you ever played MMX6 with the Nightmare effects or NSMB with Nabbit? That is how alternate exits are handled. Instead of doing a task to do it, it just triggers a signal as you play.

It is an issue for some people.

MMX6 I didn't play it but for what I've seen I don't think I would've enjoyed the game much, NSMBU I was fine with it, in fact a secret exit for that feels like a good reward compared to a P-Acorn.

MMX6 I didn't play it but for what I've seen I don't think I would've enjoyed the game much, NSMBU I was fine with it, in fact a secret exit for that feels like a good reward compared to a P-Acorn.
Fair enough, I don't know how I feel about it one way or another. Some reviewers hate it though.

YN12

Banned
Got the game this morning, been playing for 2 hours.

I have just played in the training mode to acclimatise myself with the controls. I am the kind of person who would rather play well, rather than stumble through the game, racing to finish it.

The controls definitely have a learning curve, because there is so much that you can do. It feels really sophisticated. The training mode is like a game unto itself in a sense.

I am really impressed so far. It feels like you are controlling a mech. I feel like its armored core 4. In a sense, it feels like robotech, the ability to swap from flying to a walking bipedal is pretty cool.

I am slowly savouring the game. I feel a bit sorry for the reviewers who didnt get it; perhaps this is not the game for them - its a far cry from a dual stick shooters.

It also kind of reminds me of GunValkyrie, that way the chicken can hover for long bursts, and the ability to fly at the press of a button.

Really happy with my purchase!

Regiruler

I think Gies is a knob but also think there's nothing wrong with his article on the game. It's basically a review without a score. I'd be shocked if most reviewers completed the majority of the games they've ever reviewed.
That's fine for RPGs or other games that are 20+ hours long. But you should really be able to finish a 4 hour game.

maxcriden

No. Co-op is the only way to bring in a different controller, as the pilot can play with a Pro Controller or a Wiimote/nunchuk combo.

Ah, gotcha. Thank you. And can motion aiming be replaced with analog stick aiming a la Splatoon, or do you need to use motion throughout?

YN12

Banned
That's fine for RPGs or other games that are 20+ hours long. But you should really be able to finish a 4 hour game.

Having tried the game for myself, I am of the opinion that it has nothing to do with 4 hours or even 1 hour.

The game has a learning curve. Unless you spend some time getting used the the controls, you wont be able to play it.

Its like when people try dual stick FPS for the first time and they spend all their time looking at the floor. They cannot complete it, regardless of lenght.

Having tried the game for myself, I am of the opinion that it has nothing to do with 4 hours or even 1 hour.

The game has a learning curve. Unless you spend some time getting used the the controls, you wont be able to play it.

Its like when people try dual stick FPS for the first time and they spend all their time looking at the floor. They cannot play it, regardless of lenght.
Then get someone that can to write the article or review as part of the job you get paid to do. Doesn't mean the person will like the scheme but get someone qualified to be able to adapt to it and see it through. Too many games writers and reviewers seem to either suck at actually playing games or they don't have the patience to learn different controls. There were reviewers of The Wonderful 101 that couldn't even draw a line for the chain or a circle for the fist. Basically, get a second opinion if you can't manage the controls.

YN12

Banned
Then get someone that can to write the article or review as part of the job you get paid to do. Doesn't mean the person will like the scheme but get someone qualified to be able to adapt to it and see it through. Too many games writers and reviewers seem to either suck at actually playing games or they don't have the patience to learn different controls. There were reviewers of The Wonderful 101 that couldn't even draw a line for the chain or a circle for the fist. Basically, get a second opinion if you can't manage the controls.

I dont disagree. I was just explaining. The game is like W101 or GunValkyrie. It has a unique control method, that allows the game to try new things.

Mainstream game sites are not good with this kind of games. But it doesent mean its bad. I think people like me who are after a sophisticated shooter will be happy.

In short: a Platinum game, through and through. Think God Hand or Viewtiful Joe.

Well so far the Gyrowing was pretty naff as feared but otherwise I'm enjoying the game enough.
Actually I'm surprised that the whole dual screen angle is kind of neat in its own way, being able to still blast down some enemies that have just scraped out of view on the main screen is satisfying.

I can however easily see this as one of the games where the initially unwieldy control scheme (coupled with it shifting gears on the regular with the different vehicles) could cause those going in without any real interest in the game or who are particularly perturbed by control quirks to immediately think "Fuuuuuuck thiiiiiis".
Much like other Nintendo games like W101, Kid Icarus Uprising and Skyward Sword I'm fully expecting the control based opinions to fluctuate wildly.

Lunar15

Reposting this because I don't know if it was ever answered....

You know what, I could have sworn I talked to someone else who reviewed it and they suggested I use the nunchuk/wii remote to alleviate some of the control issues, but I've been looking myself now and I can't find anything. I don't have the game anymore, so I can't follow up on this.

The gamepad screen being theoretically crucial, I'm going to err towards the side of "you can't". Sorry for the misinformation. Good thing I wasn't the person who reviewed the game!

I mastered the controls, I just didn't like them. Sorry!

Believe me, I'm one of those people who were upset that people dumped on W101's control scheme. I'm the weird guy that likes Phantom Hourglass because I appreciated all the weird touch control versions of Link's items. I master things. I just don't think SF0 does anything interesting with it. It's pretty half assed in a lot of areas. It's one foot in the past, and one half step into doing something new, while committing to neither. Even if the controls were traditional, I'd still have a lot of issues with the game. But as you can see, a lot of people are just fine with it, so I'm just one opinion among many.

I dont disagree. I was just explaining. The game is like W101 or GunValkyrie. It has a unique control method, that allows the game to try new things.

Mainstream game sites are not good with this kind of games. But it doesent mean its bad. I think people like me who are after a sophisticated shooter will be happy.

In short: a Platinum game, through and through. Think God Hand or Viewtiful Joe.
I just hope developers don't abandon "learning curve" schemes because of this because I like pick-up-and-play games as well as more complex control ideas. I think there's room for both.

YN12

Banned
Pretty much what I expected. Hopefully there will be less time between now and the next Star Fox and they just build on this.

One thing I want to add: I normally use inverted controls, but recently have been playing SF64 on the WiiuVC and got used to play with its control scheme (press down to go up).

SFZ gives you the opion to invert the controls, so I used it, as I prefer the consistency with all other on-rail shooters. But I struggled a bit! I got so used to SF64 that my brain could not process the change!

Took me about 1 hour to get it back.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
One thing I want to add: I normally use inverted controls, but recently have been playing SF64 on the WiiuVC and got used to play with its control scheme (press down to go up).

SFZ gives you the opion to invert the controls, so I used it, as I prefer the consistency with all other on-rail shooters. But I struggled a bit! I got so used to SF64 that my brain could not process the change!

Took me about 1 hour to get it back.
Can you answer the question above about the nessecity of using the Gamepad to aim during normal play? And if it can be turned off, etc? Thank you

Red Devil

Pretty much what I expected. Hopefully there will be less time between now and the next Star Fox and they just build on this.

Eh, we'll see although I'm excited about the game if they look too much at the general reception they might realize that games like Star Fox in its purest form don't really have a place in the modern gaming landscape.

Scrawnton

I think the controls for this game is what has me most interested. Every review I read says the controls are great and fun after you spend time and really learn them. I like the idea of playing this game in a completely new style. It reminds me why I was excited for Prime 3 and Red Steel 2.

Hey one review I read says it takes under 3 hours to beat the game. This one reviewer played and beat the game twice. Is his true? I don't see the value in that asking price for a under 5 hour experience

The idea for these types of games is to chase scores and go for perfect runs and have fun redoing things to better yourself. This is not the type of game for people who want endless content to work through like a check list.

maxcriden

You know what, I could have sworn I talked to someone else who reviewed it and they suggested I use the nunchuk/wii remote to alleviate some of the control issues, but I've been looking myself now and I can't find anything. I don't have the game anymore, so I can't follow up on this.

The gamepad screen being theoretically crucial, I'm going to err towards the side of "you can't". Sorry for the misinformation. Good thing I wasn't the person who reviewed the game!

Oh, no sweat. Thanks for the clarification. The game isn't of great interest to me so I don't plan to pick it up at full price, maybe will just GameFly it. What did you think of Guard?

(BTW, I'm a few huge fan of the DS Zelda touch controls.)

AntMurda

So the reason the game is good is because Miyamoto and Nintendo programmers gave it a unique control method?

YN12

Banned
Can you answer the question above about the nessecity of using the Gamepad to aim during normal play? And if it can be turned off, etc? Thank you

So, you can play the game as SF64 if you want. You can move and aim with the left stick, and ignore everything else.

However, the game also allows you to shoot directly below you. So, if you want, you can tilt the pad and shoot enemies that have weak spots on their top.

Thing is, the chicken has its own control method, sort of similar to Armored Core. So there's essentially 2 (that I know, didnt try the others yet) control methods.

Hey one review I read says it takes under 3 hours to beat the game. This one reviewer played and beat the game twice. Is his true? I don't see the value in that asking price for a under 5 hour experience

I always see these games as a repeat and improve experiance, they are score attack shooters more then story romps.

Sadly a lot of people prefer to have a single play that is longer then a shorter experiance, it's all personal taste.

YN12

Banned
So the reason the game is good is because Miyamoto and Nintendo programmers gave it a unique control method?

So far I only spent time in the lab, training, and I can confidently say that the game is build around the new controls. Even in an empty room, its fun to use. There's nothing quite like it.

Feels like piloting a mech.

YN12

Banned

First time you play its not going to be pretty. It may take a few hours just for it to click. It will take some years before we start seeing people really mastering the game.

Scrawnton

So does the game seem like there could be DLC added to the game?

Has Nintendo said anything regarding DLC?

That could really depend on how well the game sells. Dlc missions could easily be implemented I imagine.

Didn't Miyamoto say when the game was revealed that they wanted to go an episodic route? Obviously they didn't do that and are releasing the game as a whole, but that makes it sound like it has hooks for DLC.

That's not a very good excuse though. People expect more from games nowadays, the standard has been raised since 2002.

Then don't buy the game. You're not going to convince anyone that buys the game that they aren't getting their money's worth because you don't see the value in it.

If you don't like the game and wanna say so, then go ahead. If people deem your criticism as unwarranted or premature they'll feel free to respond, and you can feel free to respond back or just write their complaints off as defensive drivel. It's how a forum works, it's not that hard to get.

if the general mechanics of a forum was what I was asking about, this would be a helpful

But I was asking that one dude what he thought would constitute legitimate criticism of the controls after he wrote off a review saying the controls were a bad idea. Just trying to get a read on whether people who enjoy the controls can accept seeing criticism of the game, since there's been a lot of rejection of negative reviews and impressions so far.

I guess we'll found out once it officially comes out though

YN12

Banned
That's not a very good excuse though. People expect more from games nowadays, the standard has been raised since 2002.

Well, it depends on the kind of player you are. If you play through a game like SFZ once and think 'I finished it', then its very short.

If you think 'I want to get better, let me try again' then it's very long, potentially endless. The game has depth, but its not like, say, GTA, where you spend an hour driving to a location and then another hour driving back to where you came from.

AdanVC

Yikes! And here in Mexico the game is around $80 dollars... Reading that makes me feel a bit better of skipping the game : /

aBarreras

Some stores claim they'll sell it at 1,399 pesos, which is almost exactly 80 USD. Adan's right.

why would anyone on their right mind buy a game for 1400 pesos,for Wii U no less, when xbox one and ps4 games are at 1200 pesos, find a better store

edit: also, star fox 64 was also like 1000 pesos back in the day, and is even shorter than Zero, the meat of the game is replayability, but yeah, the game lacking mp and online doesnt help that much

Played the first few stages, and so far it's bloody brilliant. Switching between the screen and the TV isn't as awkward as some had made it out to be in my opinion, and with auto-centering the reticule on the left control stick click any potential frustration I would've had with the controls are aleviated. Tried the tank, the arwing, and the walker so far and they've all been fantastic. The two alternative ways to take down the games very first boss was awesome too.

Much like Splatoon, the gyro aiming feels natural and responsive. So far, it's a blast. I think the 8/10 reviews seem to reflect my opinion of the game so far. Can't wait to delve into more stages.

Teknoman

I have to say, my impressions fall closer in line to Game Informer and Giant Bomb: Playing it made me wonder if I ever really liked Star Fox at all.

In some ways, I guess it just didn't age well with me, and Zero doesn't really do much outside of that original formula to make it feel fresh or interesting.

My recommendation is to only get this game if Star Fox is by far your most cherished franchise and would like a romp through the original 64 with some slightly different controls and some uninteresting side missions.

If you can go back and play the snes or n64 game and have fun, then you did like them.

My only question is if the main flight segments have forced gyro.

YN12

Banned
is the game running at 30 fps?

Apparently is more or less 60 on the main screen and another 60 on the gamepad. The reviews said its not stable, occasionally dips to 40?

But I can say it feels really polished. I love the way the chicken moves, and the way it boosts. Even smaller details are so polished, it makes it fun just to use it.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So, you can play the game as SF64 if you want . You can move and aim with the left stick, and ignore everything else.

However, the game also allows you to shoot directly below you. So, if you want, you can tilt the pad and shoot enemies that have weak spots on their top.

Thing is, the chicken has its own control method, sort of similar to Armored Core. So there's essentially 2 (that I know, didnt try the others yet) control methods.
That's amazing news. Is it something you do in the options or is it just defaulted that way? So tilting the Gamepad around only affects what you see on the second screen, like precision aiming?

TrueBlue

That's a perfectly fine response. Just something that has been percolating with me. Nintendo has just been missing it's mark with me more recently. Early Wii U and 3DS were fantastic and now I'm having a hard time getting through what the media perceives to be good to excellent games which makes it harder for me to justify a purchase in a genre I'm not huge on when the reviews are all the way from poor to good. And it's not that I've suddenly stopped liking that Nintendo style of game, I'm digging Ratchet and Clank right now and loved Ori and the Blind Forest (essentially a homage to Nintendo game design).

Maybe you're burnt out? It might be best for you to stay off Nintendo stuff for a while. See what the NX offers while you recharge your batteries.

YN12

Banned
That's amazing news. Is it something you do in the options or is it just defaulted that way? So tilting the Gamepad around only affects what you see on the second screen, like precision aiming?

Yes. But for example, when you use the chicken you may want to stand still, or hoover vertically, while still aiming around. In that situation you can tilt the gamepad like a mouse.

Edit: What I mean is that you move with the sticks, but if you are high above and dont want to move, as moving may mean that you are going to fall off the ledge, in that situation its better to use the gyro to aim directly above or below you. It feels natural, like having three sticks.

Top Bottom