• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

Shiggy

It was also light years behind in fun compared to assault and 64.

We agree to disagree. The ground missions in Assault were terrible. And after SFA, I expected them to follow up on the story and presentation, but it was pretty mediocre. Think the general opinion sides with me here, if I recall reviews correctly.

Edit: yeah, assault is by far the lowest scoring, though Zero is in the same range.

Geg

"There’s fantastic boss battles. There’s on-foot segments (kind of) that don’t ruin the game’s pacing. There’s a wide variety of vehicles that can transform on-the-fly."

There is boss battles? There is on foot segments? There is vehicles?

If you can't write properly, your review shouldn't be included in the mix. Garbage.

The last sentence's grammar is correct. "There is a variety" ;)

I didn't interpret it like this actually. And he's right. Rodea the Sky Soldier, Sin and Punishment 2, Resident Evil chronicles, Kid Icarus Uprising. There are way better rail shooters out there.
Honestly I really want a KI:Uprising port if only because I bet the game would be fantastic with two analog sticks.

SerTapTap

Lots of 7-to-10 reviews, yet it's supposed to be a disaster? Is there a reward of some sort for irrationally hating on this game?

It's not game of the year material and, without surprise, it's a niche game that doesn't appeal to everyone, but so far it looks to be far from a disaster. I really don't get why this game is so hated on.

I think it's a result of Metacritic TBH. The early 40 from Giantbomb makes the average look really bad...for now. It's already trending up. IMO, no way it stays below a 7 when all is said and done. Which isn't great, but it isn't bad.

Length of the game was always going to be a concern in 2016 where everyone wants 20 hour fetch quests.

maxcriden

This is a bad explanation!

This is a better explanation!

I'll use OpenCirtic more. Looks slick. Is it just for games? What about film?

Sorry. I was being lazy. My fingers were tired after making the OP. :p

(I like OC a lot and I'm glad you got a better explanation of what it is -- but yep, it's just for games.)

Axass

Score is lower than I expected. Don't care though, StarFox 64 is in my top 20 favourite games ever. I'm totally buying it.

Kinsei

Banned
I didn't interpret it like this actually. And he's right. Rodea the Sky Soldier, Sin and Punishment 2, Resident Evil chronicles, Kid Icarus Uprising. There are way better rail shooters out there.

You'll get a Star Fox Adventures port for NX and you will like it.

I don't really think RE and KI are really comparable to SF. It's like comparing Mario to Mirror's Edge, they're both platformers but are still completely different.

We agree to disagree. The ground missions in Assault were terrible. And after SFA, I expected them to follow up on the story and presentation, but it was pretty mediocre. Think the general opinion sides with me here, if I recall reviews correctly.
Un fair comparison in my opinion since it wasn't suppose to be a Star Fox game if I remember correctly. I think SF Adventures was a one and done type of game for the series.

ys45

This is something I will never understand, why force players to play with gimmick controls when the game is perfectly playable with normal controller .

There is no harm giving the players some choices of controls -_-

Regiruler

Honestly I really want a KI:Uprising port if only because I bet the game would be fantastic with two analog sticks.
It wouldn't be. You need the more controllable variable speed.

Try to imagine the original sin and punishment with a 360 camera. It would be a nightmare.

sfried

I think Dan's quote is being taken out of context. What I think he means is that the genre has evolved since 2002 and this game doesn't feel like it has evolved with it. For example, games like Sin and Punishment 2 exist. Feels like a very modern take on the Star Fox template. A lot of those games have aged well since 2002 - in his eyes, Star Fox hasn't.

Wait, wat genre are we compairing Star Fox again with? A hitbox/shmup rail shooter with platform elements like S&P? An arcadey simulator like Rogue Squadron? I always felt the series was like a merger between the two, or better yet, like games like Novastorm and Microcosm (behind-the-vehicle rail shooters, which...haven't really gone anywhere to be frank).

Schnozberry

This is something I will never understand, why force players to play with gimmick controls when the game is perfectly playable with normal controller .

There is no harm giving the players some choices of controls -_-

There is an alternate control scheme where the Gyro aiming is only engaged when you hold down the ZR button.

maxcriden

Well, I now look like a fanboy with my 9/10. No regrets.

635572355320181723-1690830193_7tt5PLw.gif

It wouldn't be. You need the more controllable variable speed.

Try to imagine the original sin and punishment with a 360 camera. It would be a nightmare.
At least on Wii U you could prop the gamepad on your knees so you would not have to hold it.
Holding a 3DS with one hand hurts.

Pretty much the only issue I had with Uprising was the controls, everything else was fantastic.

So you're saying you want... a Kid Icarus Upressing?
The art would be amazing in HD.

Anth0ny

A 1-2 hour experience that I can replay in different ways if I want to is exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for. And I'm getting this for $45 CAD, so the "value" shit is a non-factor.

I've been waiting for a good Star Fox since 64. I'm hoping this lower budget effort is a test, and the next Star Fox for NX has some higher production values and can come close to blowing us away the same way 64 did back in the day.

GoNintendo Review

StarFox Zero is the most immersive StarFox game to date. This game really makes you feel like you're piloting an Arwing. You're out there in the explosions and insanity of it all, and it's so much fun. Take the time to learn the controls and you'll be in for one hell of an adventure. Good luck!

But people have been asking for a new proper Star Fox for ages so surely being the Star Fox people wanted in 2002, 2012 or 2016 is all the same. Unless he's saying people have been asking for a 2/5 quality game for over ten years which is rather illogical.

Tried to get a pot shot in and missed the target.
You're criticism of the GB criticism doesn't address a fundamental issue of the game's quality apart from it being a SF game. If it's not even as good as 64 then it'll have a tough time surviving as a full priced game in today's saturated market. Not saying that's the case, but you can't make an argument of, "but this is the game everyone has been asking for" when it still may not be that game and seems like it is not for a lot of people.

papo

WTH at that Game Informer review.

Star Fox Zero is like visiting a place you remember fondly, but have outgrown

I loved Star Fox when it came out, and I’ll even defend Star Fox Adventures (to a reasonable degree). For now, I’ll stick to Super Smash Bros. when I feel like reuniting with Fox.

It reads as if they did everything in their power to not like the game for what it is. The rest seem good, not as good a 64( possibly because it came first and was great), but still a good fund game.

Lunar15

Games were good in 2002. Games are good now.

That's a bit of a misinterpretation of what he said. I'll agree, it's not the best way to word it.

Basically, the game had me wondering if Star Fox was ever fun. For some, the game won't have aged well, and Zero doesn't do much to liven it up. That's what he means, and if you read the review, it does a good job of explaining this.

It's a phenomena that won't hit everyone equally, though.

sfried

Star Fox, and 64 for that matter, were neither like the games you mentioned.

My main problem with Zero isn't the controls but the fact that most of the alternate routes feel really barebones.

For example: the second mission has multiple phases in which you use different vehicles and fight different types of enemies in different locaties. None of the alternate routes are as complex as this. They all feel really basic which wasn't the case in Star Fox 64. Furthermore, I feel like the way you find these routes are really stripped down. In 64 you had to actually be good, here you can just go left or right to trigger it or you just need to lock on a member of Star Wolf passing by. Comparing that to how detailed some missions in Star Fox 64 were and you can understand why parts of the game are pretty disappointing to me.

Nintendo finally released the Star Fox game that I thought I wanted, but it leaves me wondering what place Fox McCloud has in today’s gaming landscape.

Come on Dan, you know the answer to this.

It's Smash.

redcrayon

Games were good in 2002. Games are good now.
Hell, I still play games from 1992 on a regular basis, and Shovel Knight would have fitted in well then. These days an arcade shooter that feels like it's from 2002 sounds refreshing rather than dated to me, at least it's not an open world shooter with RPG mechanics for a change. Sometimes a blast from the past makes a nice change as long as it's done well.

I'm ok with gyro-assist shooting after Uncharted GA and Splatoon, but the stealth/helicopter/mini robot section sounds slow and tedious and a bit out of place.

WTH at that Game Informer review.

It reads as if they did everything in their power to not like the game for what it is. The rest seem good, not as good a 64( possibly because it came first and was great), but still a good fund game.

I thought it was a perfectly reasonable review.

SCChappy

Banned
My main problem with Zero isn't the controls but the fact that most of the alternate routes feel really barebones.

For example: the second mission has multiple phases in which you use different vehicles and fight different types of enemies in different locaties. None of the alternate routes are as complex as this. They all feel really basic which wasn't the case in Star Fox 64. Furthermore, I feel like the way you find these routes are really stripped down. In 64 you had to actually be good, here you can just go left or right to trigger it or you just need to lock on a member of Star Wolf passing by. Comparing that to how detailed some missions in Star Fox 64 were and you can understand why parts of the game are pretty disappointing to me.

im pretty sure this is because the alternate routes werent originally in the game, and the delay gave them time to add them

might be wrong though but thats what i remember reading

GhostBed

Reading some of these reviews makes this game sound right up my alley. I don't mind the tough control scheme, still sounds fun.

Lunar15

The alternate routes were absolutely tacked on. There's alternate route that takes you back to the big ring colony, and has you doing a rail shooting section while following Andrew. The level design doesn't seem made for this kind of challenge, and you're just weirdly floating through the city with some odd placement. It's not the worst kind of level in the game, but you can tell they realized they had to add on some alternate levels to make it more like 64 and did so very quickly.

Sagittal

Banned
I am mostly just hoping this is the final nail in the coffin for gyro controls being the primary method instead of an optional control scheme.

Agreed, Nintendo really needs to take a step back and reevaluate what people find enjoyable about their older titles. You can tell Miyamoto threw every disjointed idea he had at this game in a final effort to validate the Wii U gamepad. This was an important failure for the direction of Nintendo Hardware, likely a positive one. Can't help but feel the string of duds they have released will hurt the NX launch though.

Top Bottom