• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

Am I missing something or is being able to beat the campaign in
2-3 hours
, according to Giant Bomb, and being full price sort of crazy?

I think I'm on the sidelines for this for a bit. Seems like a game that will become one of their $20 classics fairly quickly.
A typical run of Star Fox 64 should last about 45 minutes.

I don't know much about Zero's campaign layout but I assure you short campaigns are the norm for these kinds of games. They are meant to be replayed to find alternate routes and achieve high scores.

sfried

2-3 hours

I think I'm on the sidelines for this for a bit. Seems like a game that will become one of their $20 classics fairly quickly.
If you've played prior games like 64 and the original, it's meant to be replayed to access different paths.
Considering that Nintendo fans buy Nintendo games at any price as long as an old Nintendo IP is tacked on, the price is reasonable from a business POV. It's not as if anyone's gonna buy a Wii U for this game, so they can just exploit their existing customer base. Simple business reasoning.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

SCChappy

Banned
2-3 hours

its meant to be replayable like 64 was

it all kinda stems from the desire to make as close to 64 as possible so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2-3 hours

It is not as crazy as it was when Shadow the Hedgehog did it or Zero Escape:VLR. You can only do 1/3 to 1/4 of the game in one playthrough.
It is around 10 hours for all planets, 15 to get every objective.

Honestly the length seems to be the least of the issues.

aBarreras

Considering that Nintendo fans buy Nintendo games at any price as long as an old Nintendo IP is tacked on, the price is reasonable from a business POV. It's not as if anyone's gonna buy a Wii U for this game, so they can just exploit their existing customer base. Simple business reasoning.

all my wii u purches are mostly new or semi-new ips, havent bought, mario 3d world, mario maker, and wont buy Star Fox Zero at launch, stop generalizing

A 70-75 metascore was already expected, but I thought SFZ would get a few 10s from hardcore reviewers. The fact that even people who enjoyed the game don't seem very excited about it has me worried. That said, co-op mode looks really, really fun.

I would give this a try eventually but I guess I can't, since my gamepad left analogue stick is behaving erratically and SFZ single player mode won't work with a Pro Controller :(

Eager to hear what some of you gaffers think about the game.

Instro

I'm gathering that the alternate routes are pretty shitty in this game though, so the quick completion time seems a little more of an issue.

TheJoRu

The reviews are pretty expected, I perhaps thought it'd get a little, little better. Am not planning on getting Zero, though I'm very interested in Guard. Looks like a fun, cheap game.

Wait for the review thread for UC4 when a site gives the game an 8 or, hell, even a 9! People will declare the game a Naugthy God failure and wish Amy Hennig back.

Well, some people will. The rest will spite the reviewer for daring to not have an orgasmic reaction to playing a Naughty God game, likely calling the reviewer fat in the process. I'm looking forward to it.

I see, a bit disappointing then because the train alternate route is one of my favorite levels of all time.
I will buy and play this. Honestly it cannot be worse than Command, can it?
For what it's worth, I hated Command and loved this. I also had only 1 week to play it and never had problems with the controls. But the game is divisive.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wtf are you on about

Loris146

kj3gFME.jpg

Obligatory. Hope i'm not late.

BiggNife

i can open that link, but this is true?

It's not that Star Fox Zero is hard, really. It's often bizarrely easy, until it suddenly isn't, in part because twitch shooting or action is so dependent on motion control with the GamePad. It is, to be blunt, a miserable experience, and the idea of playing more fills me with the kind of deep, existential dread I can't really justify. The game itself actually seems fairly short, but it has the standard Platinum complement of challenges within each mission, collectibles to find, and more to pad out its length. There's also a co-op mode that allows two players to share control of an Arwing, before, I assume, they commit intense physical violence against each other.

In many ways, Star Fox Zero actually feels like a launch title for the Wii U console, full of half-fleshed out ideas that don't quite stick. But the Wii U has been out for almost four years now, and I can't help but wonder what happened.

This isn't a review of Star Fox Zero. Save for very rare, extreme circumstances, Polygon reviews require that a game be completed, or at least a good faith effort be made to complete it.

I am not playing any more Star Fox Zero.

It is pretty fucking savage.

For what it's worth, I hated Command and loved this. I also had only 1 week to play it and never had problems with the controls. But the game is divisive.
That is good to hear. I can adapt to the controls if the game behind them is good. I made it work for Kid Icarus.

Isn't the game like 3-5 hours? Damn, that's how I felt with W101. Gave up because it wasn't fun for me
I hope for a W101 situation where I am on the positive side. I could not handle W101 touch controls myself.

Boogiepop

Cool, the big knocks seem to be people not adapting to controls, the short length to go through the campaign, and similarity to past Star Fox games. Expected those going in, and I have a good past history with unorthodox control schemes (Kid Icarus: Uprising and Wonderful 101 are straight up in my top 10 games of all time, and not for lack of breadth in what I've played), so I'm definitely down to give it a shot (especially since the controls seem to fall into "controversial" rather than "unquestionably bad", which was my big potential concern in waiting for reviews).

Gonna give this a pickup, especially since I have a group to play games with in person, which should make for ideal Guard conditions based on what was shown at E3...

oakenhild

Star Fox is a franchise built around replayability, score-attacks and alternate routes. The IGN review even says that they've played the game for 15 hours without having unlocked everything the game has to offer.

Good to know. I haven't played Star Fox since the original and don't even remember how long that was, so that makes sense!

I'm gathering that the alternate routes are pretty shitty in this game though, so the quick completion time seems a little more of an issue.
There is one meh asteroid level and another one that is a recycled boss with an awesome thing you get to do. The rest has been very good for me, even one level that you do in a different way.

Wait for the review thread for UC4 when a site gives the game an 8 or, hell, even a 9! People will declare the game a Naugthy God failure and wish Amy Hennig back.
why is it that every review thread for an exclusibe since the game got announced keeps talking about the future potential meltdown for this game

it feels like whataboutism before it even happens

No surprise about the review scores it basically what I expected. Its a true star fox game but with an incredibly steep learning curve and somewhat light on content if you're not willing to do tons of replays for high scores.

Shiggy

If you've played prior games like 64 and the original, it's meant to be replayed to access different paths.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

Where am I hating? It's simple business. Nintendo knows there's a die hard fanbases, which buys it's games regardless of quality and price. Stop being oversensitive to reality.

Ogodei

About expected? They took a few risks here, and there's a large brigade of reviewers who just never adapted to motion controls (which is fair, since they represent many gamers who have not as well). Still seems to me like the core experience is good and the branching paths look like they were well-thought-out.

It'll be an interesting play for a couple weeks, at least, then i can start getting the other Fire Emblem Fates versions (was waiting because i didn't want SFZero to interrupt a Birthright run).

I'm surprised how low it's reviewing. What I played at wondercon was wonderful and felt like something star fox fans would want.
Yeah Star Fox fans. This genre done became niche a lot of people dont care about it no more.

Im buying this on Friday..shit the review scores low though but thats what I thought people was gonna give it.

breakfuss

Ugh. I'm done with this series. Such a shame. 64 remains one of my all time favorites. Hell, i even loved Adventures. But Command is where they began to deviate from what I loved about this. Now they shoehorn in the gyro-controls foolishness. PASS.

BriGuy

I wonder why they can't or won't make a new Starfox without tacking on gimmicky controls.

At least there's still the 3DS remaster of SF64.

Nah, I fall in line with Dan. This game could have brought rail shooting into 2016, but instead it just kind of did 64 again, but here's some weird controls!

I say this as a fan of Sin & Punishment, Kid Icarus, and even the rail shooting sections of Assault.

Okay, honest question: what the hell does "bringing rail shooting into 2016" even mean? If you mean evolving the genre, I can't really comprehend how any game designer is supposed to do anything other games haven't done without discarding the 'rail' part of the equation entirely, and we already have space sims, even arcadey ones (hello, Strike Suit Zero!).

Seriously, 360-degree aiming is kind of a huge innovation in and of itself, what the hell more do you want to change things up? Serious question.

whelp

Arthur Gies hated Star Fox Zero so much he didn't finish it so he can't give it a review score

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/20/11...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Is there a reason they can't give the game to, you know, someone who CAN finish it?

I respect the honesty really. Professional movie critics tell you when they walk out of movies, too. Life is too short for bad entertainment products.

The difference is he's had the game for a month; movie critics can't swap in another the same way

I respect the honesty really. Professional movie critics tell you when they walk out of movies, too. Life is too short for bad entertainment products.

NateDrake

why is it that every review thread for an exclusibe since the game got announced keeps talking about the future potential meltdown for this game

it feels like whataboutism before it even happens

Mostly because people went crazy and people flipped over an 8/10 UC3 review from Eurogamer, I think.

So, the polygon score is completely lacking in professionalism. How droll.

None of these reviews are appealing to what I'm looking for (A super detailed Matthewmatosis type review) so that leaves me an opportunity to fill in that gap in a months time.

I figured this game would have some divisive opinions regarding it, I will agree with some of the reviews that...a game like SF64 just doesn't cut it nowadays.

You can talk about the replayability and "the skill" or whatever, but $60 for a game you can beat on your first run in 2-3 hours, and then you're told "do it again, and again, and again, and again" is going to undergo some criticism or distaste.

I fully expected it would not score more than high-70s on MC to be fair (seems everyone's using opencritic, but the score seems to be close to what I imagined regardless).

Top Bottom