• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

The alternate routes were absolutely tacked on. There's alternate route that takes you back to the big ring colony, and has you doing a rail shooting section while following Andrew. The level design doesn't seem made for this kind of challenge, and you're just weirdly floating through the city with some odd placement. It's not the worst kind of level in the game, but you can tell they realized they had to add on some alternate levels to make it more like 64 and did so very quickly.
Honestly I remember most of the alternate routes in 64 were kind of basic, except the one where you had to hit all the switches and Corneria which you had to fly under the rocks.
Are there any like those in this game? Otherwise that is a bit disappointing.

SCChappy

Banned
The alternate routes were absolutely tacked on. There's alternate route that takes you back to the big ring colony, and has you doing a rail shooting section while following Andrew. The level design doesn't seem made for this kind of challenge, and you're just weirdly floating through the city with some odd placement. It's not the worst kind of level in the game, but you can tell they realized they had to add on some alternate levels to make it more like 64 and did so very quickly.

it really does feel to me as if zero was intended to be a smaller type game as miyamoto said way back at e3 2014, and they decided to ramp it up late in development and thats why the game is in the weird place that it is

Pyrokai

I'm still VERY pumped to play this game. Don't even care. I know I'll still love it.

Not exactly the same type of game, but check out Sin and Punishment: Star Successor if you haven't already.

There's not a lot of games like this. I think what he means is that the formula needed to evolve more than it did, not that this genre can't exist today.

Kid Icarus Uprising.

Rogue Squadron 2 is pretty good likely my favorite arcade space shooter.

Kid Icarus Uprsing and Zero have very little in common aside from rail shooting segements.

Ah, okay thanks, guys! I've only played Kid Icarus Uprising from this list and I LOVED it. I have Sin and Punishment but for some reason have never played it. Time to change that!

Lunar15

Honestly I remember most of the alternate routes in 64 were kind of basic, except the one where you had to hit all the switches and Corneria which you had to fly under the rocks.

In 64, the alternate routes would take you to entirely different planets, not different parts of the same planet. While that definitely does happen here (it's possible to not go to Fortuna or the Asteroid Belt on your first playthrough) some of the alternate paths just take you to a different version of a planet. While this is hardly a bad thing, it definitely feels a little rushed.

it really does feel to me as if zero was intended to be a smaller type game as miyamoto said way back at e3 2014, and they decided to ramp it up late in development and thats why the game is in the weird place that it is

Yep. I think they realized that this was their flagship Wii U title for the year and needed to flesh it out a bit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's developed by Platinum. How is a 78 for W101 with positive and negative reviews that different from Zero's 70ish with positive and negative reviews? If you took the time to actually read you'd see that Bayo is the outlier. Platinum typically gets around 70-80 for their games.

It's developed by Nintendo with some parts outsourced to Platinum. But if you can't see the difference between an average of 78 and an average of 70, probably is difficult to see the difference between developed by Platinum and supported by Platinum too.

According to gamexplain's review, not really. They're all pretty basic sounding and can't even find them your first time through

Not exactly surprising. Still gonna buy it, though, gyro controls are my jam.

It wouldn't be. You need the more controllable variable speed.

Try to imagine the original sin and punishment with a 360 camera. It would be a nightmare.

Yep. The only way Uprising could work without stylus aiming would be either with a Steam Controller or a mouse and keyboard. AKA, not on a console. Then again, dual-stick aiming in general is a fucking travesty, I avoid it where possible.

I feel like that one is one of the better alternate routes too. There's two alternate missions where you just float through an Asteroid field protecting the Great Fox. One reuses a boss from another mission. It's by far my least favorite part of the game.

You have to defeat Star Wolf members in time to trigger some new ways, otherwise it's mostly you trying a different approach. I don't think it was simpler than SF 64 on that side, definitely less spectacular since, as some said, sometimes you get to see a level that's not really the best they could do.
Unlocking medals is what actually asks you to do particular things like hitting a switch before the game tells you, saving friends, etc.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
72 Metascore is honestly better than I expected.

There's a bunch of low-70s games on Metacritic I like way more than 85-90-games. Using metacritic score as the be-all-end-all number to determine if a game is good or not, especially in the case of niche or divisive games, just doesn't work. Look at the reviews themselves, read them, and find the reviewers that seems to resonate most with your gaming tastes.

But if you can't see the difference between an average of 78 and an average of 70, probably is difficult to see the difference between developed by Platinum and supported by Platinum too.
Oh god.

JobenNC

It's developed by Nintendo with some parts outsourced to Platinum. But if you can't see the difference between an average of 78 and an average of 70, probably is difficult to see the difference between developed by Platinum and supported by Platinum too.

Truly they are both 8.

Tain

I'm generally okay with adapting to weird control schemes, hopefully I'll pick this up quickly. It doesn't sound like it's unreasonable to control or anything like that.

GB review reads like distaste in the genre, for sure.

SCChappy

Banned

The developer is listed as Platinum. Even on metacritic it's listed as Platinum. 78 and 70 is a small difference. That's still a 7/10 average for both. Maybe you need to look harder.

Lunar15

I'm generally okay with adapting to weird control schemes, hopefully I'll pick this up quickly. It doesn't sound like it's unreasonable to control or anything like that.

GB review reads like distaste in the genre, for sure.

Nah, I fall in line with Dan. This game could have brought rail shooting into 2016, but instead it just kind of did 64 again, but here's some weird controls!

I say this as a fan of Sin & Punishment, Kid Icarus, and even the rail shooting sections of Assault.

Housh

So...is this game good for kids? Is it just the 30 year old Dark Souls players that are hating on it?

Ampsicora

I didn't interpret it like this actually. And he's right. Rodea the Sky Soldier, Sin and Punishment 2, Resident Evil chronicles, Kid Icarus Uprising. There are way better rail shooters out there.

To be fair even back then when star fox was new there were better shooter. I mean if you have played Galaxy Force II you see the game has aged better than the first star fox. And Panzer Dragoon Zwei and the first Sin and Punishment were incredible compared to 64

Hilarion

Pumped for this game. Platinum games are something you connect with on a visceral gut level or you don't. I'm not about to let the people who tried to tell me to avoid Wonderful 101 tell me not to play this.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Good enough for me. Will be a nice palette cleanser between DS3 (I'm nearing the end) and Uncharted 4.

Lunar15

So...is this game good for kids? Is it just the 30 year old Dark Souls players that are hating on it?

I could see kids having fun, but I could also see them having difficulty with the controls. Depends on how young we're talking.

Instro

I think that is pretty clear given the original quotes from Miyamoto about the game. They wanted it done as quickly as possible. The ramp up probably due to the quality of the game and the poor reception it was receiving every time it was shown, which in turn delayed the game.

Too bad they were more focused on making a gamepad demo than actually making a good game.

72 Metascore is honestly better than I expected.

Me too. I always thought the game looked pretty poor, and the control (having to look at the controller and the TV at the same time) seemed like a bad idea. Plus the fact that the game is really short AND the $60 price. I haven't played it, so it might be lots of fun for some, but it had so much to overcome I kind of thought it would get slaughtered.

I really dont give a shit as a Star Fox fan that has already have been multiple times given mediocre games.
Im pumped about the game and what Ive seen from videos is great.

Lunar15

Pumped for this game. Platinum games are something you connect with on a visceral gut level or you don't. I'm not about to let the people who tried to tell me to avoid Wonderful 101 tell me not to play this.

W101 is easily one of my favorite Wii U games, and one of my all time favorite Platinum games.

Star Fox Zero though... ehhh. It's not really a Platinum Game.

AGoodODST

Reviews are honestly better than anyone would have expected considering the games first reveal and obvious development issues.

Glad it worked out decent enough in the end. Super hyped to pick this up on Friday.

Eek!

1kRi0wC.gif

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Pretty sure the 30 year old Dark Souls-players (like me) is going to love this. Dark Souls-players know how to adapt :)

Balb

Shame that they can't seem to figure out how to make Star Fox work in the modern era. Star Fox 64 is one of the greatest games of all time (no, not just "for a game released in 1997") and the original Star Fox is really good as well.

You have to defeat Star Wolf members in time to trigger some new ways, otherwise it's mostly you trying a different approach. I don't think it was simpler than SF 64 on that side, definitely less spectacular since, as some said, sometimes you get to see a level that's not really the best they could do.
Unlocking medals is what actually asks you to do particular things like hitting a switch before the game tells you, saving friends, etc.
I see, a bit disappointing then because the train alternate route is one of my favorite levels of all time.
I will buy and play this. Honestly it cannot be worse than Command, can it?

oakenhild

Am I missing something or is being able to beat the campaign in
2-3 hours
, according to Giant Bomb, and being full price sort of crazy?

I think I'm on the sidelines for this for a bit. Seems like a game that will become one of their $20 classics fairly quickly.

NateDrake

2-3 hours

I think I'm on the sidelines for this for a bit. Seems like a game that will become one of their $20 classics fairly quickly.

You can beat Star Fox 64 in about an hr. The game is designed to be replayed a lot. Unlock new paths, earn all the medals. If you aren't going to replay the game at all, then it won't be worth the asking price.

NotLiquid

2-3 hours

Star Fox is a franchise built around replayability, score-attacks and alternate routes. The IGN review even says that they've played the game for 15 hours without having unlocked everything the game has to offer.

2-3 hours

That's Star Fox. You have to find different routes (there's plenty) and play it many times.

Shiggy

2-3 hours

Considering that Nintendo fans buy Nintendo games at any price as long as an old Nintendo IP is tacked on, the price is reasonable from a business POV. It's not as if anyone's gonna buy a Wii U for this game, so they can just exploit their existing customer base. Simple business reasoning.

Top Bottom