• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

I really need to fall asleep but I just love watching that RT meter get larger and larger.

So close to being certified..

nib95

Banned
Speaking of Campea and Jedi, guess what his favorite Star Wars movie is? Yes that's right it is Return of the Jedi.

I love RotJ lol. Just watched it earlier today too. It's definitely campy and a bit frivolous in areas, but it's still great fun.

Side note, in their review, it's cool how each of them have a different favourite acting role in the film. Looks like all the cast absolutely nailed it, old and new.

zsynqx

You don't find a bunch of Teddie Ruxpins beating "an entire legion of my best troops" cringe worthy?

"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."

That is a million times worse.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."

I almost puked reading that.

I'm so hyped for this movie now. It's ridiculous.

I mean, it is a pretty shitty review. Of course, he's entitled to his own opinion, but that doesn't excuse the poor writing of the review.

Have you read the positive ones?

Calling this stuff "reviews" is embarrassing. Rotten or not. You could aggregate gaf opinions and the value to the discussion of the movie would be more or less the same.

Tabris

Definitely not. They are both bad. You just have your nostalgia glasses on.

Also people have blinders on regarding this as he was so good in ANH and ESB, but Harrison Ford was not good in this movie (ROTJ that is). His delivery of lines was bad. It's like you could tell he was "done with this star wars shit" as you saw over the next couple of decades from him in interviews.

Listen to some of this dialogue and watch this acting, it's quite bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giASrSW_tl8

Mark Hamill is what saved that movie. Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford were checked out.

nib95

Banned
I stopped when I heard that the new additions "really shined in this film," and he mentioned Oscar Isaac. Fucken A. I didn't know he was in this, but he's undoubtedly one of my favorite actors around.

Yeap. One of mine too. A seriously rising star who I wouldn't be surprised to hear gets an Oscar at some point in the future.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You don't find a bunch of Teddie Ruxpins beating "an entire legion of my best troops" cringe worthy?

Not much more than a farmer boy who never flew a big ass military starfighter blowing up the biggest weapon of the all domination evil space empire.

Meowster

Also people have blinders on regarding this as he was so good in ANH and ESB, but Harrison Ford was not good in this movie (ROTJ that is). His delivery of lines was bad. It's like you could tell he was "done with this star wars shit" as you saw over the next couple of decades from him in interviews.
He was a waste and clearly wasn't trying but he had the charisma to keep it going.

Thought Hamill and Fisher were both good even if they gave up on her character.

PopeReal

As for Daisy Ridley being a diva on set I am going to need multiple sources on that. I have not seen anything yet.

And remember we had Anthony Daniels saying she was a wooden actor but apparently she steals the show so you got to have more than one opinion on something for it to have any real meaning.

Tabris

Not much more than a farmer boy who never flew a big ass military starfighter blowing up the biggest weapon of the all domination evil space empire.

But you can buy into the whole force attuned / perception thing.

He also flew plenty of times. He used to bullseye womp rats in his T-16. Jeez :p

zsynqx

Listen to some of this dialogue and watch this acting, it's quite bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giASrSW_tl8

Mark Hamill is what saved that movie. Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford were checked out.

I have no nostalgia for the originals. I saw the prequels first.

munchie64

It ain't the most logical plot point, but works well for the movie and it's fun to see an underdog story. I'll admit the Luke stuff and the space battle elevates the movie a whole lot, but there's so much worse in the prequels than Endor taken by itself.
The ewoks are fine???

At least concede that they should have been Wookies lol.
Absolutely. They'd be more technologically capable and we'd probably see some arms ripped off. But if we can't get that, Ewoks are fine.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh come on, most of Endor is full of cheese as bad as Anakin and Padme's courting. You just can't see it as you originally saw it as a child.
Really? No way in hell.

One is a kids adventure setting. Take it or leave it, but it has its place for a certain audience. It's hardly cringeworthy to most viewers, even if it's not meant for them.

One is the courtship between a pretty normal (though bland) woman and a truly creepy and awkward young man with issues. It is one of the most tone-deaf "romances" ever committed to film, and would never have passed muster in a traditional Hollywood setting (the prequels are actually big budget indie flicks, and no one checked its leader with common sense critiques). This filmic romance is truly bizzare by mainstream standards.

munchie64

Have you read the positive ones?

Calling this stuff "reviews" is embarrassing. Rotten or not. You could aggregate gaf opinions and the value to the discussion of the movie would be more or less the same.
If you care about that, just read Top Critics - which is even higher rated than the regular ones.

It ain't the most logical plot point, but works well for the movie and it's fun to see an underdog story. I'll admit the Luke stuff and the space battle elevates the movie a whole lot, but there's so much worse in the prequels than Endor taken by itself.

Absolutely. They'd be more technologically capable and we'd probably see some arms ripped off. But if we can't get that, Ewoks are fine.

Exactly..

It's an underdog story...

Plus, everything in this movie has so much more charm and character than anything in AOTC.

Harrison Ford in his prime doing a lousy acting job is still ten times above anybody in the prequels imo.

1 rotten review has appeared

It's Roger Moore

latest

Oh come on, most of Endor is full of cheese as bad as Anakin and Padme's courting. You just can't see it as you originally saw it as a child.

'It's only because I'm so in love'

'No, it's because I'm so in love with you'

You are fighting a losing battle if you think that is not the worst and most cringe-worthy writing/acting of the movies

gdt

99?

Gotta say I'm incredibly impressed. I know it will go down,,,,but it should settle in the mid 90s.

Can't wait for Saturday.

Tabris

You are fighting a losing battle if you think that is not the worst and most cringe-worthy writing/acting of the movies

I do think that's some of the most cringe-worthy writing/acting. And Endor is on par with it. That's how bad Endor is.

What I'm saying is not a compliment to TPM/AOTC, it's an insult to ROTJ.

BocoDragon

'It's only because I'm so in love'

'No, it's because I'm so in love with you'

That's certainly the low point of ROTS.

But id say AOTC was a movie that devoted 50% of its runtime to such bizzare and creepy pseudo-romantic sentiment.

BocoDragon

I do think that's some of the most cringe-worthy writing/acting. And Endor is on par with it. That's how bad Endor is.

What I'm saying is not a compliment to TPM/AOTC, it's an insult to ROTJ.
Your comparison is not working.

Let's say for the sake of argument that ROTJ has issues:

Describing them as issues on the level of the romance in AOTC is so alarming that it obscures your point.

Erevador

That 99 is a beautiful number to see.

There is some cheesy stuff on Endor, but the actors have fun with it and and keep the tone light and breezy. It's a good time.

The deadly romance in the prequels is rendered with dire solemnity and self-seriousness. It's so humorless and overwrought that when it doesn't work it completely falls to pieces.

BUT, let's not hijack the thread with this old argument. Let's focus on Force Awakens.

Tabris

Your comparison is not working.

Let's say for the sake of argument that ROTJ has issues:

Describing them as issues on the level of the romance in AOTC is so alarming that it obscures your point.

How is it not working? You may disagree with it, but I think the Endor sequence of ROTJ is as bad as TPM and AOTC. It's just not good movie making.

I would say ROTJ is an even bigger disappointment as I can ignore TPM and AOTC quite easily (I just now watch ROTS onward for my showings) but ROTJ is following up one of the greatest movies of all time (ESB) and it disappoints heavily.

Much like the prequels, George Lucas had too much influence and impact on the movie. ESB is amazing as it takes Lucas' fantastic story outline and gave it to better creative people to make something.

but the actors have fun with it and and keep the tone light and breezy.

What you think is "having fun with it" seems more to me like they just phoned in their performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom