• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdornan

Sounds like JJ played it safe. But can you honestly blame him? He had all the pressure of the franchise on his shoulders.

So the formula sounds like Star Wars. I am cool with that. Can't wait!
That's what it sounds like. Can you imagine how pissed Disney would be if it bombed critically? Would put their huge investment in the franchise into jeopardy.

scoobs

I do enjoy how all the focus is on the lone reviewer who disliked it, and not the now 70 (22 top critics) who did. Happens every time a blockbuster releases.

Meowster

Episode VIII with Rian Johnson is the time for experimentation and off the walls craziness!

Glad JJ gave us some order and structure before the next film!

AxeMan

Just curious, do you mean that in a negative, positive, or mixed way?

Depends on your position

For ST he breathed new life into the series and I believe he'll do it again for SW. But it comes at a cost. In the case of the new ST movies they are more 'summer blockbuster' than ST and it'll be the same with the new SW I believe.
Whether that's a bad thing or not depends on your perspective.

For what it's worth, I always liked ST and I like the new ST movies as well. I never liked SW but I reckon I'll like the new SW movies.

To be fair, you can do that with any reviewer, I imagine.

True but still, he's one of those edgy small time reviewers.

"I'm not going to like what ever body else like's, but i'm still not going to really put much effort into this review"

"Fuck in depth analysis, to much like the originals."

Looking at Metacritic's scores for the previous Star Wars movies.. holy hell, didn't know they had ROTJ so low.

ANH - 92
ESB - 79
ROTS - 68
AOTC - 54
ROTJ - 52
TPM - 51

Blasphemy, I say!

ESB thirteen points below ANH and only eleven points above ROTS is shocking to me..

And ROTJ below AOTC is simply a joke...

AOTC is not only the worst SW movie, it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen in a cinema..

Nodnol

This is kinda the general tone I expected. Safe, familiar, but given where the franchise was when George Lucas sold Lucasfilm's, also necessary.

Will obviously wait until I've seen it before properly committing to an opinion, but when looking at what the film had to accomplish to lay the foundations for 8 and 9, I was always expecting it to be a solid film, critically, and a joy-ride through what makes Star Wars Star Wars for the fans. You have to tie together the PT generation, the OT generation and a new generation entirely, all the while ensuring you try to capture the "feel".

As long as I leave the cinema with a smile, and didn't roll my eyes at any point, I'll be happy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Looking at Metacritic's scores for the previous Star Wars movies.. holy hell, didn't know they had ROTJ so low.

ANH - 92
ESB - 79
ROTS - 68
AOTC - 54
ROTJ - 52
TPM - 51

Blasphemy, I say!

I dunno... feel like RT scores that are made up of pre-internet reviews can't be compared to modern ones. A bunch of curmudgeonly newspaper reviews can't compare to the vast modern review-verse that is far more kind to genre films today.

HariKari

RT added a consensus:
Critics Consensus: Packed with action and populated by both familiar faces and fresh blood, The Force Awakens successfully recalls the series' former glory while injecting it with renewed energy.

ANH - 92
ESB - 79
ROTS - 68
AOTC - 54
ROTJ - 52
TPM - 51

Blasphemy, I say!
52 for rotj is fair. It drops the ball so hard after The Empire Strikes Back.

That's great. We're not in for another Phantom Menace, folks. This is the real deal. Avoid spoilers if you can, and get ready for a fun night at the movies.

Right now I'm imagining me in that red chair, with my cheese nachos in hand and a big tub of buttery popcorn and a hotdog ready to go.

Bullshit. This score is stupid compared with Phantom Menace and AOTC

Exactly like what the fuck.

Tabris

It's very hard to enjoy half of ROTJ (Tantoinne, Dagobah, and Death Star are amazing - everything in between is brutal) if you aren't 10 years old or can't look at the movie through the eyes of your 10 year old self.

It's very hard to enjoy any of AOTC and TPM but I bet if I was 10 years old I could enjoy some of it like I did ROTJ when I was 10.

The only amazing Star Wars movies are ESB, ROTS, and ANH. The only classic undeniably great movie is ESB.

Meowster

Episode IX with Trevorrow is the time for?
A nice wholesome family adventure that makes a ton of money!
52 for rotj is fair. It drops the ball so hard after The Empire Strikes Back.
It's a huge drop off, for sure, but there aren't any segments or dialogue as bad as Anakin and Padme's courting scenes in AOTC. But I think Phantom Menace actually above both of them at one point. The 3D rerelease really hurt it's scores.

Bullshit. This score is stupid compared with Phantom Menace and AOTC
The ewoks really are unique in all of Star Wars. They're worse than the Gungans. The Gungans may have beaten some stupid robots but the Ewoks beat the Empire, and the Ewoks were even more backwards than the Gungans.

Tabris

It's a huge drop off, for sure, but there aren't any segments or dialogue as bad as Anakin and Padme's courting scenes in AOTC. But I think Phantom Menace actually above both of them at one point. The 3D rerelease really hurt it's scores.

Oh come on, most of Endor is full of cheese as bad as Anakin and Padme's courting. You just can't see it as you originally saw it as a child.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh come on, most of Endor is full of cheese as bad as Anakin and Padme's courting. You just can't see it as you originally saw it as a child.

Laughable. And funny thing is I saw booth movies for the first time around the same age. That Nostalgia-Argument is not always fitting for everything.

Tabris

But with characters we care about.

You cared about the Ewoks? You did because you thought they were cute and funny as a kid.

If you hadn't seen that movie when you were a kid and watched it as an adult, it's full of cringe. The actors are also phoning it in during a lot of those scenes, especially Harrison Ford.

ROTJ Endor is as bad as TPM and AOTC.

zsynqx

You cared about the Ewoks? You did because you thought they were cute and funny as a kid.

If you hadn't seen that movie when you were a kid and watched it again as an adult, it's full of cringe. The actors are also phoning it in during a lot of those scenes, especially Harrison Ford.

I was born in 94. I wasn't talking about the Ewoks btw :p

My point was that however bad Endor was, it is automatically above the Anakin/Padme stuff because it involved characters we actualy cared about.

munchie64

If you hadn't seen that movie when you were a kid and watched it again as an adult, it's full of cringe. The actors are also phoning it in during a lot of those scenes, especially Harrison Ford.

No fricken way. Only real cringe is the sister scene. The ewoks are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom