• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws' Director: 'Bad Faith' Discourse About Protagonist's Appearance 'Not Worth Engaging In'

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
You weren't interested in having a discussion in the first place
Sir, in the last several post, all you've done is just name call and argue.
Several users on here even stated they think this person is hot, several game many examples of works where the model does not look like the final version and even provided reasons why such a thing might occur, narrative, theme of the story, character direction, plot etc.
provided many examples as well as myself that its not uncommon for a model for a game or even an actor to not look like they normally do for the role.

This is the topic being talked about.^ The actual discussion

Unless you are going to talk about the actual topic, you'll just be ignored man, most of your post are just name calling and attacking people that disagree with you, not the actual topic of the thread.

You seem just too triggered to hold any logical or rational conversation.

EDMIX

My guess is you’ll not get that either
lol I agree and I'm buying the game.

I never really cared much for the Star Wars stories and I like the general idea, concept, theme etc. The actual stories and plot....nah lol Something about that fantasy, good guy always makes it, hero saves the day, good triumphs etc has always bored me with this IP, so with this I'm just interested in the concept of a smuggler stealing, going from planet to planet and black markets and the small stories that come along the way. So I feel the side quest might tell a better story then the big picture stuff.

but thats just me.

I played Witcher 3 this way as I like the side story stuff of just going town to town killing some big monster, then the overall story itself (as I found looking for Ciri a complete fucking bore and only cared about the "WILD HUNT" parts lol)

Last edited:
Is there any female gaffer here? Give us your insights. It's boring us men talk about this.

I'm female 👀

Gay Pride GIF by skillshare

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Okay? What if one person made a reply to a post you made in bad faith, do you suddenly shut down all conversation completely? To be frank, this is a bad faith question lol

You would only think it's a bad-faith question, if you don't believe it's worth engaging in.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What would make a dissenting opinion bad faith? People voicing their displeasure at a character's appearance could be characterized as shallow or irrelevent, but that doesn't make them bad faith arguments if appearance is something that genuinely matters to them.

And typically, appearance or attractiveness is something that matters to consumers whether consciously or unconsciously (not "fuckability" which is much more subjective). Ironically, a bad faith argument might ignore this paradigm or simply handwave all criticism away with blanket statements ...like "bad faith."

(EDITED FOR CLARITY)

Ultimately I think it's bad to respond too much to "dissenting" opinions on things like this to be honest. No creative should allow the internet to push them too far from what they wanted to create. This not a free to play online game. Creatives should stick to their approach that they've internally designed and respectfully disagree with these "opposing" views.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ultimately I think it's bad to respond too much to "dissenting" opinions on things like this to be honest. No creative should allow the internet to push them too far from what they wanted to create. This not a free to play online game. Creatives should stick to their approach that they've internally designed and respectfully disagree with these "opposing" views.
Creatives and the company can make what they want.

But they should also put some business hats on and figure out what will sell and what wont. Just like any other industry does.

EDMIX

Creatives and the company can make what they want.

But they should also put some business hats on and figure out what will sell and what wont. Just like any other industry does.

True, it is after all their game.

I believe in a situation like this where the idea is subjective, they should merely ignore them. Changing the appearance for something like this will just get some other group crying about some other shit and it just goes in this cycle of circus tears. You cannot please everyone and based on something subjective like appearance, I feel they should just ignore them.

When you have a group seeking to go after a company for issues that may have nothing to actually do with the core game in terms of any real legitimate concern trying to act as if they are the majority, its best to ignore.

Look at Far Cry 5, look at the fake outrage, review bombs, petitions and over reactions....the game went on to be come the best selling Far Cry in history. So...yea, maybe they should just release the game they are making, shit look at Hogwarts Legacy, never gave in to petitions, crying, fake ass outrage annnnnnd records broken.

No company needs to change their game cause someone is fucking crying over some shit, go play another game... To change the game now, is to keep changing it once some other person cries about said changes. You cannot please everyone.

Is there any female gaffer here? Give us your insights. It's boring us men talk about this.

I don't see the problem with the characters appearance and I think it fits their personality/job and how other characters seem to perceive them in the game. If Ubisoft wanted to make an ugly character just to be "woke", they'd have her be overweight, big nose, short hair and a body like a fridge.

Characters should be designed based on the games story and their role in it. An example of this is Trails of Cold Steel. The main character was supposed to be Alisa, but changed to Rean and had him redesigned to fit the story. The same applies here, the Stars Wars protagonist design should be criticized based on whether or not the design fits their role.

Last edited:
I don't think it's bad Faith. It's genuinely confusing. The majority of people who play these types of games are men. They only say its 50% women, because they include mobile and stuff like Candy Crush. I don't understand the economics of it. If you look at products that are primarily consumed by women, they are all designed to appeal to women because it makes sense. The company I work for designs cosmetics for women and everytime we have made the products more masculine to try and get some male customers they have all massively failed because our customer base is about 90% women. I would never say that our customers are sexist or hate men. It just makes sense. Why does the gaming industry think it can operate outside the economic paradigm. Even if you like this, you still have to accept that's how markets function.

feynoob

Banned
I don't think it's bad Faith. It's genuinely confusing. The majority of people who play these types of games are men. They only say its 50% women, because they include mobile and stuff like Candy Crush. I don't understand the economics of it. If you look at products that are primarily consumed by women, they are all designed to appeal to women because it makes sense. The company I work for designs cosmetics for women and everytime we have made the products more masculine to try and get some male customers they have all massively failed because our customer base is about 90% women. I would never say that our customers are sexist or hate men. It just makes sense. Why does the gaming industry think it can operate outside the economic paradigm. Even if you like this, you still have to accept that's how markets function.
Very simple. Females like character's with handsome face. While men are more in to boobs and butts.
For example, in this comic, the guy with shovel is us, the MC of the story. His knight is the guy every women wants. Through out the story, the knight is mistaken as the Lord, while our MC is the servant (Knight). So our knight gets a lot of love letter due to his face.
7zTg6HA.jpeg

That is why alot of Hollywood movies have guys with bare chest and six packs. Not someone that looks like your or me. We are called the goblins.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I don’t get why the discussion always goes to extreme of equating a wish for aesthetically pleasing characters to being a horny teenager.

There is a big difference between the two. As to this particular use case, what kills me is facial bone structure, especially lower face/chin, it’s just extremely strange for a female face.

Also, character running skeletal animation looks off for some reason as well as arm swing when punching/hitting enemies, like that head bonk, lol. 😂

As far as the hair and outfit, I kind of get what they are trying to go for here with 80s vibe. They just aren’t doing a great job, but that’s IMO and all that.
Its really baffling how some folks are bent on reducing the argument to being a sexless virgin or some shit. Apparently, wanting to see cool and sexy characters means you strictly weigh everything in how many women you've laid.

Honestly, speaks volumes about the optics of these people and where their minds are at more than anything. They got zero nuance.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Well who give a shit about ugly people . Especially ugly people with a un-likable face .

Imaging adult ciri look like her childhood portrait . The emotional scene wouldnt be so emotional because again, who give a shit about ugly people .

PaintTinJr

That's a little like a football manager and club owners telling fans for a whole season their opinions about the style of football don't matter IMO - as a United fan I feel ETH has been doing that :) - because just like United, SW isn't owned by this director, and isn't even really owned by Disney. The popularity and personal investment of the fans to raise SW to such stratospheric heights means the ownership is really with the fans...if they abandoned SW for just 6months Disney would probably go bust, same at United, if all the fans walked away.

So despite generally agreeing with the creative process you described, and would have defended Lucas himself in this same scenario because he earnt that right as the creator, some random game director with no portfolio that compares to SW to discuss, while appearing to be copying the industry trend of uglifying women characters out of ideology doesn't get that support from me; especially not with my SW., let them go do with their own new IP and see where that gets their career.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Abby build makes alot of men look toddler.
Those muscles 💪 💪 💪 💪.
frank-tzeng-abby-main-outfit-1.jpg

Looks like his daughter.
380c1a824d68d008aba8f2f7a0e36332
I never had a problem with abby's build, on steroids women can reach even twice that size and its implied she was few years on it, just she is voiced by womanly sound voice actress which is super unrealistic, even bikini fitness competitors(most weight around 90-120 lbs depending on height) with barely any musclemass lose that high pitch womenly sounding voice not even after a year of taking ped's, so her voice actress should have deep manly voice too.

Bernardougf

I don't see the problem with the characters appearance and I think it fits their personality/job and how other characters seem to perceive them in the game. If Ubisoft wanted to make an ugly character just to be "woke", they'd have her be overweight, big nose, short hair and a body like a fridge.

Characters should be designed based on the games story and their role in it. An example of this is Trails of Cold Steel. The main character was supposed to be Alisa, but changed to Rean and had him redesigned to fit the story. The same applies here, the Stars Wars protagonist design should be criticized based on whether or not the design fits their role.
So what you are saying is, as long as that the ugliness of the character fits with the narrative of the game the reasons behind making her this ugly and changing characteristics of the model maybe justified and has nothing to do with inner "wokeness" of the dev team, if fits the story is OK. ? Well.. couldn't agree more.

But.. when the game cames out and not a single line of dialog or story involves her looks whatsoever and the narrative would be exactly the same with freaking Gisele Bundshen as the protagonist... will you then consider that they made her ugly just to appease the freak in their purple heads ? Or move the goal post ?

PeteBull

Gold Member
So what you are saying is, as long as that the ugliness of the character fits with the narrative of the game the reasons behind making her this ugly and changing characteristics of the model maybe justified and has nothing to do with inner "wokeness" of the dev team, if fits the story is OK. ? Well.. couldn't agree more.

But.. when the game cames out and not a single line of dialog or story involves her looks whatsoever and the narrative would be exactly the same with freaking Gisele Bundshen as the protagonist... will you then consider that they made her ugly just to appease the freak in their purple heads ? Or move the goal post ?
Exactly, it will affect sales in negative way 4sure.
Just look at that croocked nose

I had few hundred fist fights in my teenage years(poor hood etc, changing towns/schools etc) and even tho dad took me to hospital after some more brutal ones to check if i got some stuff broken(luckily nothing, avg teenage boys hit lightly ;p) my nose is more straight than hers.
Her nose literally looks like she just came back from paris woke olimpics boxing match against that algerian transformer lol

Wasnt ez to find clip of that boxing match btw, woke yt makes sure we cant see it, most vids only got still shots so ppl dont see actual power where male punches female in the face :p

feynoob

Banned
Exactly, it will affect sales in negative way 4sure.
Just look at that croocked nose

I had few hundred fist fights in my teenage years(poor hood etc, changing towns/schools etc) and even tho dad took me to hospital after some more brutal ones to check if i got some stuff broken(luckily nothing, avg teenage boys hit lightly ;p) my nose is more straight than hers.
Her nose literally looks like she just came back from paris woke olimpics boxing match against that algerian transformer lol

Wasnt ez to find clip of that boxing match btw, woke yt makes sure we cant see it, most vids only got still shots so ppl dont see actual power where male punches female in the face :p

This is why Internet makes people lose brain cells.
The person in question is a female. But that is given, considering these people don't really understand that certain females can have advantage over other females. Just like how certain males have advantage over other males.

Next thing you know, his daughter will be called a male by the same mobs.

TALKSPORT-Lesnar-Daughter.jpg

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
The person in question is a female. But that is given, considering these people don't really understand that certain females can have advantage over other females. Just like how certain males have advantage over other males.

When biological male fights female ofc he has huge unfair advantage, the guy was banned from boxing championship year prior btw https://www.theguardian.com/sport/a...-championships-cleared-to-compete-at-olympics
There are no women with XY chromosomes :)
Edit:
If some wokesters diseagree i can only point them to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman
A woman is an adult female human.[a][2][3] Before adulthood, a woman is referred to as a girl (a female child or adolescent)
and
Typically, women are of the female sex and inherit a pair of X chromosomes, one from each parent, and fertile women are capable of pregnancy and giving birth from puberty until menopause. More generally, sex differentiation of the female fetus is governed by the lack of a present, or functioning, SRY gene on either one of the respective sex chromosomes.[5] Female anatomy is distinguished from male anatomy by the female reproductive system, which includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, and vulva. An adult woman generally has a wider pelvis, broader hips, and larger breasts than an adult man. These characteristics facilitate childbirth and breastfeeding. Women typically have less facial and other body hair, have a higher body fat composition, and are on average shorter and less muscular than men.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

TALKSPORT-Lesnar-Daughter.jpg
Are you talking about the algerian boxer ? Because its a biological male ... its a transwoman fighting and punching a real woman

feynoob

Banned
Are you talking about the algerian boxer ? Because its a biological male ... its a transwoman fighting and punching a real woman
That is fking female.
Geez you people got some brain damage with all these takes.
When biological male fights female ofc he has huge unfair advantage, the guy was banned from boxing championship year prior btw https://www.theguardian.com/sport/a...-championships-cleared-to-compete-at-olympics
There are no women with XY chromosomes :)
Because the one who made her banned was a Russian, because she defeated a Russian fighter. You know the same shitty people that cheat in those games.

The same person got defeated by other females before, but no one is talking about it, because it doesn't fit the agenda.

In any case, certain people from either sides have genetic advantages. Long arms, long legs, high testosterone, etc. that is just how nature is.

Bernardougf

That is fking female.
Geez you people got some brain damage with all these takes.

Because the one who made her banned was a Russian, because she defeated a Russian fighter. You know the same shitty people that cheat in those games.

The same person got defeated by other females before, but no one is talking about it, because it doesn't fit the agenda.

In any case, certain people from either sides have genetic advantages. Long arms, long legs, high testosterone, etc. that is just how nature is.
You are saying that he is not a transwoman ? But an actual female ?

And take it easy with the insults ok.. try to be an adult

Last edited:

BlackTron

But what if some of the dissenting opinions are in bad faith?
Okay? What if one person made a reply to a post you made in bad faith, do you suddenly shut down all conversation completely? To be frank, this is a bad faith question lol
You would only think it's a bad-faith question, if you don't believe it's worth engaging in.

You people are so unbelievably deft at missing the point it's impressive. Is there some sort of traffic controller that directs them all to whoosh right over your heads?

1) Just because Mr. Ubisoft said he won't engage with bad-faith dissenters, don't put words in my mouth or ideas in my head. Sometimes I see bad-faith arguments and choose to point it out just to make them look as ridiculous as they are. Ubisoft is not some new dictionary standard of what conditions must be met to find an argument in bad faith.

2) You said "what if some dissenting opinions are in bad faith", implying that some dissenting opinions are not in bad faith. Again I ask you, if you think one person replied to your post in bad faith, do you suddenly shut down all conversation? Wait...you won't answer you'll just misdirect by acting intentionally ignorant.

Maybe you guys have been strawmanning for so long, doing it as subtly as possible has become an art form. What you said could be true, from a certain point of view, therefore we'll use it as a snarky answer to something else.

Edit: written at the same time as during DGrayson's warning above, bye everyone lol

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
You are saying that he is not a transwoman ? But an actual female ?

And take it easy with the insults ok.. try to be an adult
It was a female. Some times genetics go under mutation.

For example in this case, the women here gave birth to her kids, but she wasn't the biological mother of her kids.

Samples were taken from all over Keegan, who they suspected of having tetragametic chimerism. Tetragametic chimerism occurs when two separate eggs are fertilized by two different sperms, and then one of the embryos absorbs the other during the early stages of development. People with this type of chimerism may have two blood types, different eye colors, or other physical signs such as birthmarks down their center.

Bernardougf

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Im willing to bet that people here crying about her face and nothing else will buy the game and most likely preordered it, especially if "critics" overrate it.

:)

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Im willing to bet that people here crying about her face and nothing else will buy the game and most likely preordered it, especially if "critics" overrate it.

:)
Last game i preordered was d4, i knew it wont be as good as d2 but couldnt help myself, before that persona5 and ff15 but those 2 i didnt regret actually, lesson learned tho- waiting for legit reviews and more gameplay.
Not gonna lie ofc im big star wars fan here, i even liked episodes 1-3 and 7-9(not as much, only watched those once, but still) rofl :)

Bernardougf

Last game i preordered was d4, i knew it wont be as good as d2 but couldnt help myself, before that persona5 and ff15 but those 2 i didnt regret actually, lesson learned tho- waiting for legit reviews and more gameplay.
Not gonna lie ofc im big star wars fan here, i even liked episodes 1-3 and 7-9(not as much, only watched those once, but still) rofl :)
Off topic but the biggest 7-9 episodes achievement were making 1-3 look better in comparison.. suddenly shit had a new whole meaning 😅

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Not gonna lie ofc im big star wars fan here,

So youll buy it and you know very well Ubisoft will not change her appearance just as they wont remove Yasuke from AC. Complaining once is fine, but whats the point going on a manhunt if youre still going to buy it anyway? Vote with your wallets if you want them to "learn".

PeteBull

Gold Member
So youll buy it and you know very well Ubisoft will not change her appearance just as they wont remove Yasuke from AC. Complaining once is fine, but whats the point going on a manhunt if youre still going to buy it anyway? Vote with your wallets if you want them to "learn".
Yup, simply instead of buying at launch/preordering i will buy it used or at some deep sale, but i will play it 4sure at one point or another xD

Bernardougf

What man hunt bro ? We are discussing something in a forum ... no one here is rioting or promoting a harassment campaign

feynoob

Banned
Off topic but the biggest 7-9 episodes achievement were making 1-3 look better in comparison.. suddenly shit had a new whole meaning 😅
Episode 7-9 is why you don't hire different directors. Episode 8 should have been stand alone movie.

As for Rey, she should have been palpatine daughter. It would be have poetic end to the series.

Bernardougf

Episode 7-9 is why you don't hire different directors. Episode 8 should have been stand alone movie.

As for Rey, she should have been palpatine daughter. It would be have poetic end to the series.
The OT had different directors but the mind behind was keeping all together... the mind behind disney star wars is rotten to her core.

But offtopic.. so moving on.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

For fuck's sake.
10 pages of this shit..
Every time there's a new game, the most important thing is if the characters are hot enough.. it's quite corny and weird that grown ups actually care so much about this stuff.

Just go play some hentai games in between the "terror" of having to deal with these "unfuckable" videogame characters.

PeteBull

Gold Member
For fuck's sake.
10 pages of this shit..
Every time there's a new game, the most important thing is if the characters are hot enough.. it's quite corny and weird that grown ups actually care so much about this stuff.

Just go play some hentai games in between the "terror" of having to deal with these "unfuckable" videogame characters.
So u are upset players/customers voice their valid opinion about once again western studio uglyfing female characters, and what gives u right to tell us what games we wanna play, its our money, we spend it however we want, simple as that :)

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I’m not feeling much for this game so far. Still looks a bit rough and i don’t get the Star Wars vibe from it. I will wait for the reviews this time. Normally, i never wait or really read reviews from games, but this game…a lot of mixed conversations about it that i still don’t know what to think.

Bernardougf

For fuck's sake.
10 pages of this shit..

Oh is so nice for you to decide what is ok to be discussed and what should we play ... I hope you do this for every discussion since you are obviously enlightened

Bernardougf

I’m not feeling much for this game so far. Still looks a bit rough and i don’t get the Star Wars vibe from it. I will wait for the reviews this time. Normally, i never wait or really read reviews from games, but this game…a lot of mixed conversations about it that i still don’t know what to think.
I think that with all the controversy and specially what it involves.. the very not bias at all reviewers will be very gentle with this game.

PaintTinJr

A fair point being made, but unlike AC where they'll do as they please, and probably move regions and time periods for the next game, AFAIK games like Outlaws need at least 2 or 3 games made to recoup first game development costs - and licensing in this case -and risk of people voting with their wallets on Outlaws 2, or the license holder hearing the valid complaint and either forcing Ubi's hand to change things or withdraw the license means an ongoing campaign that Disney hears can bring about change IMO.

Top Bottom