• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws' Director: 'Bad Faith' Discourse About Protagonist's Appearance 'Not Worth Engaging In'

Agreed. It's and out of stye hairdo, sure. But whatever they did to produce it in the game is not working at all.
it's that 'solid mass' look of a couple generations ago. it's just overly, unnecessarily dense & not 'flowing' in the way hair can be in games now. for me, including a mass of hair like kay's, that has no independent movement whatsoever, is at least as immersion breaking as having her bopping shock troopers...

edit: just realized, when i said 'bopping storm troopers', i meant 'bopping them on the head', & not bopping them in any other way...

Last edited:

lmimmfn

it's that 'solid mass' look of a couple generations ago. it's just overly, unnecessarily dense & not 'flowing' in the way hair can be in games now. for me, including a mass of hair like kay's, that has no independent movement whatsoever, is at least as immersion breaking as having her bopping shock troopers...
So to sum it up, the hair looks shit is what you mean?

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
no matter what social/race/gender subject he is advocating for
? Who said I'm advocating for anything? So....I'm sorry man, anyone who fucking disagrees with you is either woke or SJW or some fucking shit cause you can't prove a point apparently.

When have you ever heard me advocate for any "social/race/gender" or anything even remotely like that?

But shit, you are talking about arguing over a point people definitely didn't make?

Stop fucking putting words in people's mouths and trying to force this fake fucking point of view cause someone disagrees with you

Do you even have 1 quote of me ever advocating for anything you stated?
- You cant proove anything because you cant know what were the motives behind
Well, if you can't actually prove this, fuck are we suppose to do? Its a claim and assumption you are making

Sorry bud, I need more to go on to ever make some claim of intent behind someone's design, not merely your assumptions on something. Its almost as if you are fucking pissed that you don't really have the lead artist just coming out and making some bold statement that they love ugly and hate pretty and made it this way for some SJW reason or something lol

Sooo until you have that statement, this is merely your assumption, suspicion, belief etc That isn't a fact or anything objective to go off of

mdkirby

agree, tho it's actually worse. she has terrible '80's hair, that's been even more terribly graphically reproduced. it's dumb & unnecessary, as in i'm kinda amazed that no one at massive said 'whoa! the hair looks awful! like a mop! re-do!', but, hey, here we are...
Yeah it’s an egregiously terrible choice, it is an RPG-lite, it could be easily fixed simply by adding a barber mechanic. I imagine they won’t, as it’s imo an intentional choice to desexualise the character….which is dumb, but here we are. I’ll never understand how such things have become so important for big game studios, like you don’t see instagramers or marketing billboards or even tv to go to such lengths to make otherwise hot people look weird, it’s just so counter to every other form of entertainment/media.

Grown ups getting mad over jpeg pictures. Get a life man. It's a pixelated art. You won't fk those characters.
It's nothing to do with that at all, it's a principle and people like you who just let things go well we see where that leads. Some people need to stand up. It's been a trend. Some think western devs do this to make non passing trans people more included. Which is ridiculous if true. Anesthetics doesn't mean we want to jerk off and that line gets tiring. You don't want a bad ass sexy character to play as? Skyrim modding was all about it for many. A femme fatal is a thing. Uglifying is also only ever done to the women.

EDMIX

imo an intentional choice to desexualise the character….which is dumb,
maybe, maybe not. If it was intent to do this, the character is an outlaw, they are a smuggler, they are not a model or anything like this in the concept of the game

So I don't know if i'd go as far as to say its "dumb" as sorta see why they might, she is suppose to just look like some rough and tough outlaw type or something.

So I have nothing against a developer wanting to make a character look sexy or wanting them to look less sexy or something, as its their game, their choice. If it fits the concept, i'm fine. In this situation, I'm not sure why she would need to look sexy and what anyone things that is would always be subjective anyway, you have some on here you think she is "hot"

even tv to go to such lengths to make otherwise hot people look weird, it’s just so counter to every other form of entertainment/media.
Depends on what they are going for, so I don't think its dumb or weird.

What example would you mean? Like what show or film did this? cause more context would help, as clearly in the film Monster, the character isn't some hot model or Jamie Foxx in that Spiderman Film, he is suppose to be a nobody, a nerd or something, not some sexy model

foxx-2.jpg
vs
aafca-special-achievement-awards-luncheon---inside.jpg

or

EB20040101REVIEWS40310032AR.jpg
vs
d0dcf4f95025cf8de89d509bf8fad72bf9-11-charlize-theron-look-book.2x.h473.w710.jpg

So...there is a reason I'm saying this.

We need context. We need actual intent vs assumption. Can someone make someone look sex or unsexy for some purpose other then the work itself? absolutely, that is 100% feasible, but before I call it "dumb" or "weird" i need to the know the context, evidence, examples etc that surround that choice first.

Games, just like the film medium need that space to creatively make those choices to convey those characters. So there is a logical reason why someone can be made sexy in a work and a logical reason why they could be made ugly in a work that make sense to the thing they are seeking to convey. As an illustrator, those are not weird or dumb things to me.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
It's nothing to do with that at all, it's a principle and people like you who just let things go well we see where that leads. Some people need to stand up. It's been a trend. Some think western devs do this to make non passing trans people more included. Which is ridiculous if true. Anesthetics doesn't mean we want to jerk off and that line gets tiring. You don't want a bad ass sexy character to play as? Skyrim modding was all about it for many. A femme fatal is a thing. Uglifying is also only ever done to the women.
Expecting unrealistic beauty, while cheering for korean devs output has everything to do with that.

People who scream about this only want specific art.

feynoob

Banned
So to sum it up, the hair looks shit is what you mean?
That is what is all this outrage is about.
fable.jpg

If her hair was fixed, they wouldnt have called her ugly.
Most of these people dont realize that the position of the hair makes alot of people beautiful. For example, front hair will block the view of that big forhead and the area near the ear.

lmimmfn

That is what is all this outrage is about.
fable.jpg

If her hair was fixed, they wouldnt have called her ugly.
Most of these people dont realize that the position of the hair makes alot of people beautiful. For example, front hair will block the view of that big forhead and the area near the ear.
Sorry man but no amount of beautiful hair could fix that Fable guys "beauty"

Polishing a turd is well known to fail.

Last edited:
okay, so i'm attempting once again to get into fallen order, &, within the first 15 minutes, i notice 2 things:
1) when cal's little droid pal gives him a health injectable, he proceeds to slam it into his hard shell chest armor, which's obviously moronic, &
2) when cal runs around, his hair moves...
so, basically, respawn, like massive, felt that unbelievable actions were just fine. but, unlike massive, that unbelievable hair helmets were not. just sayin'...

EDMIX

Sorry man but no amount of beautiful hair could fix that Fable guys "beauty"

Polishing a turd is well known to fail.

I mean, how do we even know this is a "fail"? For all we know, she is suppose to be ugly cause the narrative or something.

Until we hear more about Fable and this character or something like that, its hard to say what they are going for tbh.

Watch the game come out and she's like some village idiot that finds some magical thing in the game or something and she is suppose to be boring, unassuming etc. I need a bit more context before leaping to some conclustion that this is Fable's idea of "beauty" as this sounds like what many are simply saying with little information

If this is suppose to be the main character, shit that is even more irrelevant cause you can customize the character (at least if its like the old Fables that is)

Pimpbaa

7 pages about the character's face when instead you should focus on the garbage AI, horrible animations/takedowns, shoddy performance, uninspiring gameplay, etc. When did gaf turn into twitter? Some of you should just hang out with Grumzz and the other twitter dumbasses who focus on the wrong things. Abbey was also not very pretty in TLOU2 but at least that game played and looked awesome.

Yup, people sure did love playing as Abbey in TLOU2. Not s a single complaint here on neogaf.

feynoob

Banned
7 pages about the character's face when instead you should focus on the garbage AI, horrible animations/takedowns, shoddy performance, uninspiring gameplay, etc. When did gaf turn into twitter? Some of you should just hang out with Grumzz and the other twitter dumbasses who focus on the wrong things. Abbey was also not very pretty in TLOU2 but at least that game played and looked awesome.
People went ham with yasuke when assasin creed shadow announced. They didnt care about the mtx and other horrible practices.
Same thing with this game, even though the game has tons of issues. Some gamers these days dont really care about the real issues sadly.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Well neither is your game so maybe don't spend extra time and resources on changing the MC to be less attractive rather than scan the faces like Kojima did in DS next time

You should know checkin edmix post history that he have only two lines of argumentation no matter what social/race/gender subject he is advocating for, 1- You cant proove anything because you cant know what were the motives behind 2 - strawmaning some point you definitely didnt make .. and he cicles between 1 and 2 until you give up.

Its really a waist of time
having a honest conversation with him, but you tried your best, congrats.
I mean, that's his goal at the end of the day. His typical procedure goes something like this:
  1. Wall of word salad with the expectation of you replying to him "point" by "point"
  2. "If X were true then I would know it. But since I do not know X, therefore X cannot be true"
  3. "Proposition X is false because it has yet to been proven true [in a specifically unrealistic way I want it to be proven true]"
  4. Proceed to, as you said, strawman you to poison the well
  5. Laugh emojis
At the end of the day, an unserious person shouldn't be taken seriously.

Bodom78

Your main character is an eyesore, why would I play a game where I'm subjected to that for X hours? Oh, not worth discussing, fair enough. Games not worth playing.

Thats very fair.. I personally consider Princess Leia and Padame very beautiful and sexy characters but also strong and important/pivotal to the plots... Empire Strikes back is between my 10 best movies of all time, it transcended mere sci-fi sword fight to a very meaningful movie, the whole OT trilogy is beloved because of its story and good developed characters, swoed fights and star fights were always secondary to a good overall plot (the third movie is ok at best but with a nice ending).
We can agree on disagree on the importance and quality of the story of the OT.. but your points are more than fair.. have a nice game mate, hope you enjoy

The plot and script in the Star Wars films are very simple and you take out the special effects and I doubt they would have anywhere near the impact they did and let's face it even the likes of Harrison Ford took the piss out of the script. I would agree with you mind on having a nice set of characters.

If this game was an RPG then yeah... I would be hoping for a fabulous story and script and would care what the characters looked like, but given this is a 3rd person adventure game. I care more about fun gameplay and level design

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Your main character is an eyesore, why would I play a game where I'm subjected to that for X hours? Oh, not worth discussing, fair enough. Games not worth playing.
Exactly.

TV and movies are different because there's only so many actual good looking people. TV shows and movies are short. And pending the content, you dont need great looking people. I dont think people expect mafia movies, documentaries, crime and hospital shows etc... to neccesarily have cast that are all 8, 9, and 10/10 hotness. You might get a couple, but the rest are normal looking people who can still make a good show.

Gaming is different as artists create the content. And they are even gifted good starting data if they hire or mocap a good looking actor. But some studios purposely make ugly characters or dumb down a real actress which is odd. Understandably political but still odd.

And as you said, gamers play the game. As opposed to watching a crime drama a fat donut eating police chief who has a receding hairline. If youre going to control a powerful character to beat a game all month, might as well look good doing it. They got control to make it look good. There is no human restriction like hiring actors with their real looks to do a TV show.

It's no different than equipment. The best gear is almost always the pimpest looking guns, shiny platemail armour or fancy race car. And the shittiest is a rusty dagger and cheap looking pistol.

Western game artists are trying to make the rusty dagger act like Excalibur.

Woopah

Sure, the company who is more worried about integrate their agenda in the game than making a good game is right.

This looks lately like retardera, so many woketards here.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you believe that games have to have a sexy protagonist to be apolitical.

And if your protagonist is not sexy, that means the developer has an agenda that they value more than quality.

Is that your view?

Bernardougf

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you believe that games have to have a sexy protagonist to be apolitical.

And if your protagonist is not sexy, that means the developer has an agenda that they value more than quality.

Is that your view?
Instead of driving into strawmaning... lets talk.

Do you agree that the devs made what they could to make the character completely different from the model they hired ?

and even if their game asked for a more "hardened" looking lead, wich they could have done it by giving her scars among other things but they went out of their way to give her features that made her much less feminine and just plain ugly ? ...

If you agree ... why did you think they had all this trouble ? If you do not agree please show the similarities between the model and the game character and why they are not that different.

Honest questions.

Woopah

Do you agree that the devs made what they could to make the character completely different from the model they hired ?

and even if their game asked for a more "hardened" looking lead, wich they could have done it by giving her scars among other things but they went out of their way to give her features that made her much less feminine and just plain ugly ? ...

If you agree ... why did you think they had all this trouble ? If you do not agree please show the similarities between the model and the game character and why they are not that different.

Honest questions.
I was asking the person to clarify / help me understand their position. That's not what "strawmaning" means.

In answer to your question, I believe it is not uncommon for characters to look different to their face models:

I1UytPh.png

nk5Ot9p.png

56Eic1y.png

When I look at Kay Vess I see a character who looks like a woman, not someone manly or ugly.

57iyMCK.png

Last edited:

Bernardougf

I was asking the person to clarify / help me understand their position. That's not what "strawmaning" means.

In answer to your question, I believe it is not uncommon for characters to look different to their face models:

I1UytPh.png

nk5Ot9p.png

56Eic1y.png

When I look at Kay Vess I see a character who looks like a woman, not someone manly or ugly.

57iyMCK.png
First and second pictures you posted the faces are pretty accurate and some changes were made to make alignments with the character probably, such as hair and skin color, the third is a scifi computer character but if you check the jawline and overall shape of the head/face is accurate also.

The not ugly and femine character of outlaws dosent have one characteristic of the model used, the thin jawline was changed to a more square and wide one, the eyebrows were changed from elevated/curve to straight and the thin slightly pronounced chin was made bigger tchicker and with a huge dimple, all of which are predominantly male characteristics.

Thrust me when I say that what they did is deliberately make her face more masculine removing/changing femine traits without making her a full male character. I speak from a strictly professional point of view.

So if you dont mind what they are doing, thats fine, but trying to deny it its just factually incorrect.

If its beautiful or not, thats quasi-subjective, in my profession beauty definitely isn't subjective and feminine/masculine traits of beauty are pretty well estabilshed.

The plot and script in the Star Wars films are very simple and you take out the special effects and I doubt they would have anywhere near the impact they did and let's face it even the likes of Harrison Ford took the piss out of the script. I would agree with you mind on having a nice set of characters.

If this game was an RPG then yeah... I would be hoping for a fabulous story and script and would care what the characters looked like, but given this is a 3rd person adventure game. I care more about fun gameplay and level design

From a narrative standpoint, Star Wars not only is impeccable in its structure but also revolutionary in subverting expectations:

- Starts in "Chapter 4", no context or further explanation given.

- The typical fantasy tale (farmer turned into a knight that must rescue girl from the dark lord's castle) is given a twist when the princess becomes an action heroine more competent than the two guys who came to rescue her, while not diminishing the importance of them.

- The protagonist is not the romantic interest of the main female character.

- The "MacGuffin" is an actual character (R2D2), not an object.

I could tell a few more, but calling SW "simplistic" in 2024 is revisionism. Nowadays very few stories could do what SW did back in the day.

If Ubisoft came up with something that brilliant they would be praised, no matter how ugly or "rough" the protagonist. But they can't because they suck at telling stories.

laynelane

From a narrative standpoint, Star Wars not only is impeccable in its structure but also revolutionary in subverting expectations:

- Starts in "Chapter 4", no context or further explanation given.

- The typical fantasy tale (farmer turned into a knight that must rescue girl from the dark lord's castle) is given a twist when the princess becomes an action heroine more competent than the two guys who came to rescue her, while not diminishing the importance of them.

- The protagonist is not the romantic interest of the main female character.

- The "MacGuffin" is an actual character (R2D2), not an object.

I could tell a few more, but calling SW "simplistic" in 2024 is revisionism. Nowadays very few stories could do what SW did back in the day.

If Ubisoft came up with something that brilliant they would be praised, no matter how ugly or "rough" the protagonist. But they can't because they suck at telling stories.

The world building was amazing too. There's so many terms that are common knowledge today that stemmed from the original movies - eg. the Force. Your post reminded me of just how much the original Star Wars amazed and delighted me. I was just a kid and saw it in the theatres. Couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks afterward.

I can't believe some people need this explained to them ...now THAT is bad faith

EDMIX

I mean, that's his goal at the end of the day. His typical procedure goes something like this:
  1. Wall of word salad with the expectation of you replying to him "point" by "point"
  2. "If X were true then I would know it. But since I do not know X, therefore X cannot be true"
  3. "Proposition X is false because it has yet to been proven true [in a specifically unrealistic way I want it to be proven true]"
  4. Proceed to, as you said, strawman you to poison the well
  5. Laugh emojis
At the end of the day, an unserious person shouldn't be taken seriously.

lolz, sure..

I'm sorry man, you guys are not trying to have any real discussion, you are seeking to force a narrative to argue for some circus lol

Even this whole claim "social/race/gender subject he is advocating for" , you guys are just making up someone is advocating for this or that cause someone fucking disagrees with you.

That isn't a discussion man, that is a witch hunt of trying to argue someone is "advocating" for this or that cause they disagreed with you as if everyone MUST agree with you all or they are SJW.

Several users on here even stated they think this person is hot, several game many examples of works where the model does not look like the final version and even provided reasons why such a thing might occur, narrative, theme of the story, character direction, plot etc.

You are not looking for a discussion.

You are looking to fight for some circus.
lol nah, you are not trying to have an real discussion man, you are looking to hurl accusations and argue some culture war thing.

Woopah Woopah provided many examples as well as myself that its not uncommon for a model for a game or even an actor to not look like they normally do for the role.

You don't want to except that such a thing has occurred before and still does.

You need all paths to lead to some agenda or culture war thing

Sooooo this means, it is feasible for someone to clearly look different in a work then in real life.

foxx-2.jpg

Thrust me when I say that what they did is deliberately make her face more masculine

I "thrust" that you believe that, do you have evidence to support this is the intent of what the artist is actually seeking? =)

lolz, sure..

I'm sorry man, you guys are not trying to have any real discussion, you are seeking to force a narrative to argue for some circus lol

Even this whole claim "social/race/gender subject he is advocating for" , you guys are just making up someone is advocating for this or that cause someone fucking disagrees with you.

That isn't a discussion man, that is a witch hunt of trying to argue someone is "advocating" for this or that cause they disagreed with you as if everyone MUST agree with you all or they are SJW.

Several users on here even stated they think this person is hot, several game many examples of works where the model does not look like the final version and even provided reasons why such a thing might occur, narrative, theme of the story, character direction, plot etc.

You are not looking for a discussion.

You are looking to fight for some circus.

lol nah, you are not trying to have an real discussion man, you are looking to hurl accusations and argue some culture war thing.

Woopah Woopah provided many examples as well as myself that its not uncommon for a model for a game or even an actor to not look like they normally do for the role.

You don't want to except that such a thing has occurred before and still does.

You need all paths to lead to some agenda or culture war thing

Sooooo this means, it is feasible for someone to clearly look different in a work then in real life.

foxx-2.jpg

I "thrust" that you believe that, do you have evidence to support this is the intent of what the artist is actually seeking? =)
#1 off the bat. Too predictable and the projection is way too obvious.

EDMIX

And you were? Must be opposite day.

Well yes, I stated several examples made in post prior and showed several points where many brought up why such a thing might be different from the model to the final character.

You merely ignored all of that to rage post man.

provided many examples as well as myself that its not uncommon for a model for a game or even an actor to not look like they normally do for the role.
^ so....

You are not looking to discuss anything, you are looking to fight, attack users on here etc.

Well yes, I stated several examples made in post prior and showed several points where many brought up why such a thing might be different from the model to the final character.

You merely ignored all of that to rage post man.

^ so....

You are not looking to discuss anything, you are looking to fight, attack users on here etc.
Uh huh... and it's just a bunch of bad faith, strawmanning garbage. But hey, make yourself the victim of being "attacked".

Anyways, I look forward to your next "Omg, I can't stop laughing so hard".

EDMIX

Uh huh... and it's just a bunch of bad faith, strawmanning garbage. But hey, make yourself the victim of being "attacked".

Anyways, I look forward to your next "Omg, I can't stop laughing so hard".
Yea, let me guess, no actual evidence of any of this and everyone is a SJW, woke, shill, simp etc that disagrees with you and blah blah blah.

So anyone providing examples is "strawmanning" anyone that says something you don't like is "garbage" etc. Sir, you are the one making these statements....

What do you call this?
Ubisoft in a nutshell. No wonder why EDMIX simps for them super hard...
you are not actually looking for any discussion, simply to attack users on here that disagree with you.

Good luck with that circus culture war shit man.

Yea, let me guess, no actual evidence of any of this and everyone is a SJW, woke, shill, simp etc that disagrees with you and blah blah blah.

So anyone providing examples is "strawmanning" anyone that says something you don't like is "garbage" etc. Sir, you are the one making these statements....

What do you call this?

you are not actually looking for any discussion, simply to attack users on here that disagree with you.

Good luck with that circus culture war shit man.
#1 off the bat. Too predictable and the projection is way too obvious.
NPC logic, everyone.

yea...just like this

That isn't some discussion. Its merely trying to bully people off of the thread or something.
You weren't interested in having a discussion in the first place with exhibiting this sort of behavior.
Are you intentionally acting like you didn't read my post or are you really that inept?

When you quoted my post, did you just intentionally remove the parts that address the entire basis of your response?
But hey, continue on with the "Wah, I'm being bullied" victimhood. Here, I'll throw in a little something for you.

Top Bottom