• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws' Director: 'Bad Faith' Discourse About Protagonist's Appearance 'Not Worth Engaging In'

PaintTinJr

I saw Endor and enjoy it very much.. but I gave up on disney star wars until KK is gone and whoever takes over shows signs of changing things, beginning with firing the whole ridiculous feminist "story group". Until then we have Marvel to hope for, some insiders are claiming Feige has admitted his mistakes with phase 4 and will heavily correct course through the new avengers movie, its time to hope I guess.
Andor feels like it is possibly Lucas SW with everything down to the casting and production quality and story telling. It spinning out of Rogue One's main character backstory, and even though that film in the finale still came off more like a Disney Thunderbirds than Lucas SW, Andor's character/performance didn't, and the overlap with characters out of Lucas' clone wars series certainly gave decent structures that prequel-ly intersect with Andor nicely.

The Clone Wars/Bad Batch and Andor(so far) are all good enough tier content - with good enough continuity - to live with Lucas' 6 mainline films and well worth your time, even if I would jettison 7-9 into the sun, given the missteps, lack of judgement and garbage retconning of Palpatine's story. The standout lack of judgement being taking some Clone wars mechanical horse on a Starship hull nonsense - that doesn't matter in animation - and recreating that travesty for a motion picture, like WT....

But I digress. My point being don't miss out for the sake of a rubbish person like KK, as there's still excellent and acceptable/watchable SW stuff that isn't 7-9 bad, which is what I'm still hopeful is the possibility with this game, that it could be acceptable in the wider SW universe, if they could just ditch the ideology nonsense.

I'd hate to think there was something as brilliant as the finish to the Clone Wars in there that I'd miss by skipping it ...which even gave a brand new perspective on the biggest event in RotS and the opening of Empire.

That is what is all this outrage is about.
fable.jpg

would.png

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
who doesnt lool? just compare her to actress from first game

Its like alloy gained 20 pounds, all of it on her face between acress and how aloy looks in the sequel :D
Those memes were made for a reason

I even remember one with DF's richard leadbetter that was shown i think in one of DF weekly podcasts by i think one of their coworkers, cant find it anymore but its out there in DF weekly podcasts vids somewhere :)

Why do yall keep using "THAT" picture for the 2nd game?

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
who doesnt lool? just compare her to actress from first game

Its like alloy gained 20 pounds, all of it on her face between acress and how aloy looks in the sequel :D
Those memes were made for a reason

I even remember one with DF's richard leadbetter that was shown i think in one of DF weekly podcasts by i think one of their coworkers, cant find it anymore but its out there in DF weekly podcasts vids somewhere :)

Sure, but thats like asking why from her being a kid to an adult is different.

dpvp2BCjNNXxskLsYk7yob.jpg

If they game is showing some passage of time, yes, she will look different over the years as she gets older and I'm sure in Horizon 3 she'll look different too depending on how many years will pass.

Thats up to the developer the story they are seeking to tell.

So yea, she does look different from kid, to teen in HDZ to adult in FW, but i feel that should be expected if that is what they are going for with the world, IP etc.

00_Zer0

Explains why Black Myth Wukong is so high up
There in Steam Wishlists. Main character looks like this:

0gKVutI.jpeg

Ironically, Daisy Ridley from the newest Star Wars movies doesn’t seem to have the super tapered chin people here have been yammering about

J1Rqy8h.jpeg
The Chinese Monkey King type aesthetics or Chinese Mythology in a videogame doesn't excite me either, and neither does Princess Daisy Ridley Skywalker pixie look, nor how they wrote her character in the new trilogies. Can't stand the writing in those movies.

To each their own I suppose. I love strong female character leads in games and movies, and they never have to be drop dead gorgeous if done right. Sigourney Weaver in Alien and Aliens is written well in both movies, and there's nothing sexually pleasing about her look in either movie and those are some of the best Sci Fi movies ever filmed.

My favorite female led game series is Metroid, including the 2D games as well as the Prime games, but the female underneath the suit is rarely seen, yet it doesn't take away from the fact that she is a bad ass character aesthetically, and for the most part she is written well and not overly sexualized(excluding Other M).

I suppose Monkey King is more aesthetically pleasing than a manly looking/plain looking woman in today's games though. I believe that game has more going for it than Star Wars Outlaws. Maybe if you get a few things right in a video game like Wukong people will buy it; however, when you're as wrong as Ubisoft is on multiple fronts with the direction they are taking Outlaws, then no wonder gamers are dogging on that game hard.

Btw, I think the writing in most video games are cringe worthy, and so if you couple that with shitty company practices towards consumers, shitty derivative gameplay, and a shitty looking character, then most of the time people are going to turn their nose up to it and say no thank you. That would definitely be me.

Last edited:

Winter John

The Chinese Monkey King type aesthetics or Chinese Mythology in a videogame doesn't excite me either, and neither does Princess Daisy Ridley Skywalker pixie look, nor how they wrote her character in the new trilogies. Can't stand the writing in those movies.

To each their own I suppose. I love strong female character leads in games and movies, and they never have to be drop dead gorgeous if done right. Sigourney Weaver in Alien and Aliens is written well in both movies, and there's nothing sexually pleasing about her look in either movie and those are some of the best Sci Fi movies ever filmed.

My favorite female led game series is Metroid, including the 2D games as well as the Prime games, but the female underneath the suit is rarely seen, yet it doesn't take away from the fact that she is a bad ass character aesthetically, and for the most part she is written well and not overly sexualized(excluding Other M).

I suppose Monkey King is more aesthetically pleasing than a manly looking/plain looking woman in today's games though. I believe that game has more going for it than Star Wars Outlaws. Maybe if you get a few things right in a video game like Wukong people will buy it; however, when you're as wrong as Ubisoft is on multiple fronts with the direction they are taking Outlaws, then no wonder gamers are dogging on that game hard.

Btw, I think the writing in most video games are cringe worthy, and so if you couple that with shitty company practices towards consumers, shitty derivative gameplay, and a shitty looking character, then most of the time people are going to turn their nose up to it and say no thank you. That would definitely be me.

The reason they got Sigourney instead of a hawt chick is because it wouldn't have worked with a hawt chick. You couldn't have Goldie Hawn fighting a xenomorph. Everyone woulda been concentrating on her tits instead of the alien.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
The reason they got Sigourney instead of a hawt chick is because it wouldn't have worked with a hawt chick. You couldn't have Goldie Hawn fighting a xenomorph. Everyone woulda been concentrating on her tits instead of the alien.
This

strike-strike_memes.gif

CGNoire

You can tell just by their twitter profile they are weird. And you dont even have to see a pic of them or their tweets.

Just read their two sentence profile which is usually odd things like: their profile name is based on a video game character or nickname / emotes / pronouns / angry liberal / or cheeky odd sayings like they are master boss of board games or expert bike tire pumper

Their profiles are pretty peculiar compared to non-gaming people. But one thing that holds true..... always looking for attention with egotistical and self motivation bios.
Nailed it.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Sure, but thats like asking why from her being a kid to an adult is different.

dpvp2BCjNNXxskLsYk7yob.jpg

If they game is showing some passage of time, yes, she will look different over the years as she gets older and I'm sure in Horizon 3 she'll look different too depending on how many years will pass.

Thats up to the developer the story they are seeking to tell.

So yea, she does look different from kid, to teen in HDZ to adult in FW, but i feel that should be expected if that is what they are going for with the world, IP etc.
Whem woman gainst 20lbs of weight, all of it on her face, its not passage of time, its a sign her hormones are fucked up, women tend to gain fat on their butt/hips/tights first, and usually face/stomach last, unless again- their hormones are in shambles, and thats a sign thats very offputing for guys :)

PeteBull

Gold Member

In first alien movie she was young and still quite attractive, actually :)

From a narrative standpoint, Star Wars not only is impeccable in its structure but also revolutionary in subverting expectations:

- Starts in "Chapter 4", no context or further explanation given.

- The typical fantasy tale (farmer turned into a knight that must rescue girl from the dark lord's castle) is given a twist when the princess becomes an action heroine more competent than the two guys who came to rescue her, while not diminishing the importance of them.

- The is not the romantic interest of the main female character.

- The "MacGuffin" is an actual character (R2D2), not an object.

I could tell a few more, but calling SW "simplistic" in 2024 is revisionism. Nowadays very few stories could do what SW did back in the day.

If Ubisoft came up with something that brilliant they would be praised, no matter how ugly or "rough" the protagonist. But they can't because they suck at telling stories.

Ok, George.

Bernardougf

Cmon who never fapped for ninpho Sigourmey possessed in ghost busters ??
Just kidding but in this movie she was hot imho.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Based on your posts in this thread, you havent seen a real woman that wasnt filled with filters or anime chicks.
Bro, i was repling to the guy who posted " would" to that masculine protagonist of new fable. SW Outlaws girl has crooked nose but isnt ugly, she is mid/avg, but with crooked nose, she still looks womanly ofc.
Edit:
Oh and "real woman" has xx chromosomes, same like real men have xy chromosomes, other than that only feminists use those terms, and in very negative way, are u one of the feminists maybe? If yes then lol at u, bro, women dont even like guy feminists so gl :)

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I guess the alternative reasoning for Ubi hiring the actor and then not having the model look like her in any way was that new generated AI performances of recognisable actors from prior paid performances hit a legal snag, and by changing her appearance to completely diverge from the look of the actor, Ubi can make another two games with generated AI performances without needing to pay the actor again

PeteBull

Gold Member
Shes more woman than what ull ever have.
Bro are ur family devolopping fable or something? No need to be so upset, im nobody, just ur avg joe who loves videogames and hates feminism/wokeism, thats why i cant be canceled tho so can give my honest opinions :)

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Bro are ur family devolopping fable or something? No need to be so upset, im nobody, just ur avg joe who loves videogames and hates feminism/wokeism, thats why i cant be canceled tho so can give my honest opinions :)

Nah, I just like to bring in facts. Big jawlines are not male only nor are male exclusive jaws or female exclusive jaws. Same with nose, and whatever nonsense you came up with. Perhaps I should've said go back to school and study anatomy?

MV5BYzUwOTA2ZmQtZGI1Ni00NjQ5LWE4MDktODk0YmVjMTQ2MGFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQWpoZWZ0bGVy._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpgp

PeteBull

Gold Member
Nah, I just like to bring in facts. Big jawlines are not male only nor are male exclusive jaws or female exclusive jaws. Same with nose, and whatever nonsense you came up with. Perhaps I should've said go back to school and study anatomy?

MV5BYzUwOTA2ZmQtZGI1Ni00NjQ5LWE4MDktODk0YmVjMTQ2MGFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQWpoZWZ0bGVy._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpgp
Come on, bro, we all got eyes here, dont compare that hot chick to that atrocity with masculine face rofl. That fable protagonist is perfect to scare small kids with :)
Edit:
As u can see, ppl have eyes, its not just me, reddit users see it too, every1 does

few quotes:

She should sue lol. I mean WTF did they do to her face?!

The hell happened? It's like they she quit half way through and got replaced by the great Khali

She’s absolutely gorgeous IRL. What in god’s name did they do to her bone structure?

Wtf happened lol. The guy playing the giant was able to get an accurate in game model, why did this lady get screwed?

Last edited:
Whem woman gainst 20lbs of weight, all of it on her face, its not passage of time, its a sign her hormones are fucked up, women tend to gain fat on their butt/hips/tights first, and usually face/stomach last, unless again- their hormones are in shambles, and thats a sign thats very offputing for guys :)
You sound like the spokesperson for "Forever Alone". Stack up on them tissue boxes.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Come on, bro, we all got eyes here, dont compare that hot chick to that atrocity with masculine face rofl. That fable protagonist is perfect to scare small kids with :)

You do realize they cant scan the make up and filters right? Could they have "ehnanced" her post production? Yeah sure, but who cares if the actress is fine with it how she looks "raw". You also do realize just like the Velma show, that the more you promote it, whether negatively or positively, theyll still get sales right? If ppl shut up about it and avoid it and dont buy it, then things will change. Velma is getting a new season thanks to all the hate views.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Character model is fine. The problem is that it doesnt look great at all times due to poor lighting. Every game needs hero lighting like they use in Horizon. Aloy's character model looks amazing at all times despite them doing their best to make her a bit puffy. Capcom's RE games have the same issue. It was fixed by the path tracing mod. Jill, Leon and Ashley all look great now at all times.

F90Ry5lXQAAfB_u

FbvfiNUXoAIi3ij

It's interesting to see that Aloy's face is different and actually more attractive on the cover of the complete edition of Horizon Forbidden West. That's a much better looking Aloy than we got in the actual game.

RVAdaMF.jpeg

Kabelly

Edit:
As u can see, ppl have eyes, its not just me, reddit users see it too, every1 does

few quotes:

people don't have eyes. that screenshot is a meme at this point but here's the newest trailer and she looks exactly like the irl photo you posted.

yehk9bk.png

It’s one thing if your character is unattractive, but it’s another thing if she looks like the woman who wasn’t picked up during the night in an 80s disco…

Kabelly

Judging by this current photo they redid her face model... still not as the actress but much better ... I think is not out of the realm of possibility that they saw the criticism and made better... who knows.
Here's the first trailer

4qEsCfa.png

She has the same exact face. Just more finer details and way better lighting. It looks like they scanned her face pretty much 1:1. She has the same freckle pattern as the model. The one thing is she doesn't have the straightest of teeth, but that seems like an intentional design.

That screenshot of her appearance that people love to bring up and criticize don't even mention the context of that scene. She gets called a "wanker" so she turns around and makes a frumpy face.

Star Wars Outlaws main character looks bad though. She just doesn't look like a real person.

Ozriel

M$FT
Edit:

few quotes:

Conveniently missed out on comments like this, eh?

MtiQFdl.jpeg

See recent posts from Kabelly Kabelly that proves that point.

Some internet grifter made a collage of one still from a trailer, combined with a (likely) retouched press photo with full makeup just to bait people like you into outrage and you swallowed that up.

Woopah

I think that when people say political, they are talking mostly about the political spectrum (left) usually associated with woke/dei practices... not something literally political in its meaning ... i also dont like the term political, in this case I think Ideology its more accurate
Fully agreed about thepolitical".

In this instance I guess their idealogy is something along the lines of "male protagonists don't have to be sexy, so female protagonists don't have to be sexy either"

You also do realize just like the Velma show, that the more you promote it, whether negatively or positively, theyll still get sales right? If ppl shut up about it and avoid it and dont buy it, then things will change. Velma is getting a new season thanks to all the hate views.
Except no one is spending 70 dollars to "hate play" a video game. If that were true, the numbers for Concord would be a lot higher. People didn't even spend zero dollars to hate play that beta. That said, there are much better reasons to avoid this game than the appearance of the protagonist.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Fully agreed about thepolitical".

In this instance I guess their idealogy is something along the lines of "male protagonists don't have to be sexy, so female protagonists don't have to be sexy either"
Yeah if you want to barry your head on the sand and/put your fingers in your years and sing lalaalal.. and ignore all the signs of their ideology in the last 10 years.. be my guest

Bernardougf

Here's the first trailer

4qEsCfa.png

She has the same exact face. Just more finer details and way better lighting. It looks like they scanned her face pretty much 1:1. She has the same freckle pattern as the model. The one thing is she doesn't have the straightest of teeth, but that seems like an intentional design.

That screenshot of her appearance that people love to bring up and criticize don't even mention the context of that scene. She gets called a "wanker" so she turns around and makes a frumpy face.

Star Wars Outlaws main character looks bad though. She just doesn't look like a real person.
Not with this jaw mate.

PeteBull

Gold Member
You sound like the spokesperson for "Forever Alone". Stack up on them tissue boxes.
Im just from eastern europe, here woman who has fat face isnt desirable even for one night stand, u guys(some, like those masculine/fat face defenders in this very thread) in the west have for some reason lowered ur standards so much it gives even cave trolls confidence they are special/desired, no need to lie to them imho but u do u bro, just dont make me have same terrible standars coz its never gonna happen, all ugos are urs for the taking, no worries :)

Here for comparision, 55yo polish tv host back in 1992, u can check her wiki she was born in 1937 so 2 years before start of WW2, no filters/no plastic surgery, just natural beauty (it was 1992 after all ;)

Even at that age she looks miles ahead of many female protagonists in AAA western studio developped games who are supposed to be in their 20s :)

Last edited:
This is going to sell well because it's Star Wars, but that will be mostly name recognition. The people who hate the direction of the game (forced stealth, limited weapons, ubisoft outposts) will mostly experience it through you tubers complaining about it / warning people about it. That isn't going to lead to increased sales. Sales of this game will be mostly uninformed people impressed by the things it gets right that are easy to show off in a trailer.

It's a shame the gameplay looks so bad, because I think they've absolutely nailed the source material. This is the most star wars looking star wars game in years. The many copies that do sell will largely be due to that fact. People can hate watch a TV show for no extra cost, and they can hate watch a video game for free on you tube, but again, people aren't going to be spending 70 dollars on this who dislike the game. It's just not a good comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom