• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws has sold around 800,000 copies according to Games Industry

Star Wars hasn't been "untouchable" ever since Solo bombed way back in 2018. People want good content, not just content. If this shit had a 90+ Metacritic no one would care that the main character was ugly or whatever else, you'd have to check it out. But it's just another bland, forgettable AAA game. There's too much actual good stuff to check out to bother shelling out a premium price.

peek

Is that good?? I dont know whats good numbers anymore when it comes to sales. Also wonder if the game got them more subs for their shit monthly game service thing.

Thebonehead

Exclusive footage of the Ubi Game Director for Outlaws fending off criticism

star wars kid GIF

NickFire

Yeah I'm surprised people are acting like this means anything. It's only 2 days of data!!!
Doesn't it include all pre-orders as well as early access purchases though?

I can agree all day long that there's ample time to turn it around, especially with Xmas being over 3 months away. But on the other hand, when was the last time someone said "it was just the opening weekend" when a movie underperformed?

BigBeauford

I think we already learned that Astrobot and NBA2K5 were the top 2 sellers first week of September so yeah probably not great.

Doggyred

Neo Member
I'm not trying to be political here, but why have a female protagonist in a high budget project when countless marketing studies have shown that games with female leads simply don't sell? If I was selling a product I would want it to appeal to the demographic that makes up the majority of customers in the market I'm selling it in.

I'm not trying to be political here, but why have a female protagonist in a high budget project when countless marketing studies have shown that games with female leads simply don't sell? If I was selling a product I would want it to appeal to the demographic that makes up the majority of customers in the market I'm selling it in.

What the f* is this s* ?!

Is that good?? I dont know whats good numbers anymore when it comes to sales. Also wonder if the game got them more subs for their shit monthly game service thing.

I guess if we want to gauge interest, we would need to know how many people signed up to Ubi Gamepass to play it.

Mortisfacio

I'm just burned out on Star Wars and Marvel. It'd have to be a game of the year candidate that actually looks good (Spider-Man scored an 87 then 90 meta, for example, but I played the first and I didn't enjoy it - too generic) to make me spend money and time on it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There's no way. As much as I dislike Ubisoft and basically everything about this game, I can't imagine it selling that poorly with the IP attached. That's an absolutely shocking figure if it's remotely true.

MacReady13

Since when do sales matter? I wanna see how many hours people have been playing. How many times people have snuck by a retard AI character. These are the REAL figures that make these companies money, not fucking sales! No one works off sales numbers anymore! Where are in the days of Netflix/subscriptions. Ubisoft+ is what it's all about for the mighty Ubisoft!!! YAY!

Bkdk

Assassin's creed shadows probably will sell even poorer, ubisoft is done for, cost to develop is higher than ever and sales lower than ever for their biggest releases. Massive layoffs incoming. Anyone working in ubisoft here? Is it pretty gloomy right now?

Romulus

I feel like the main character design cost them a few hundred thousand sales at least. She's uninteresting visually and shallow as a character. Not to mention generally ugly design in many angles like she has a disease. The actor she was modeled after is beautiful. Not sure what happened but it was a colossal letdown.

Alebrije

AC Mirage
Skulls and Bones
SW Outlaws

Sales for each of those games are below expectations so for a company the size of UBI its pretty Bad, Noe Even a good Shadows sales can save this year.

As far as I know UBI is the developer with more workers , like 15-20 thousand. You cant maintain afloat that boat with just average games.

Wonder when was the last time we saw a UBI Game as GOTY contener?

MiguelItUp

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it had to do with it being Ubisoft. I know a lot of the Jabba DLC stuff that was making rounds didn't really make a lot of people happy either. I highly doubt the protagonist's looks had anything to do with the game's performance. Never understood the outrage, I think she looks fine, you can find plenty of pictures like this. Not like I'm only playing games with protags that I'd wanna bang, lmao.

If the games good, that's all I care about. But all I've really heard is that the game is fine/mediocre, or good. Though I'm sure being a Star Wars fan and the level of one affects the outcome.
hq720.jpg

Last edited:

simpatico

I was told on good authority that people will buy anything with star wars slapped on it regardless of quality. Anything with star wars is guaranteed to have incredibly high sales. That's an internet fact and not in debate.

Have I been lied to?
DIsney worked that golden goose to death within a year of getting her. It's amazing how people can fuck up literal ATM machines just by trying to go too fast.

Woopah

Because it's not true. Horizon and TLoU2 for example both sold well.

ZehDon

I'll be curious if this or Avatar ends up selling more. For as generic as both games are, I think the Star Wars IP having been run into the ground has more impact here. I'll pick up the Avatar Ultimate Edition or whatever they call it when its on sale. I wouldn't even install this game it was given to me for free.

Woopah

Yeah, at the end of the day it's not really about male/female protags. If the game is good then most of the time it'll sell well.
Somewhat true, but I would also say other factors like IP, platform choice and quality also affect sales.

But this myth of "women won't sell" is something what used to stop some female-led games getting made.

Last edited:

Ridicululzz

Somewhat true, but I would also say other factors like IP, platform choice and quality also affect sales.
Oh yeah absolutely. I was mostly just talking in the context of the male/female protagonists, and how it doesn't really have that huge of an affect on sales.

IP is interesting, because it seems a bit harder to gauge nowadays on which IPs will guarantee big numbers. Sure you're gonna have heavy hitters like Spider-Man, CoD, and the like, but I'm interested in seeing how games Indiana Jones and Blade will do. Also will be interesting to see how IPs like Star Wars do down the line, because it seems to be losing favor amongst fans.

Last edited:

Krathoon

People are getting tired of the gaming industry's bullshit. They were asking way too much money for the deluxe editions and they tried to force people to get the season pass.

xrnzaaas

I'll be curious if this or Avatar ends up selling more. For as generic as both games are, I think the Star Wars IP having been run into the ground has more impact here. I'll pick up the Avatar Ultimate Edition or whatever they call it when its on sale. I wouldn't even install this game it was given to me for free.
Avatar had a weaker start apparently and no one remembers about this game anymore (much like the movie Avatar 2).

ZehDon

Avatar had a weaker start apparently and no one remembers about this game anymore (much like the movie Avatar 2).
According to Tom Henderson, Avatar pulled around 1.9 million players in it's first two-ish months. Sales are harder to understand because of Ubisoft's subscription stuff, but I imagine the vast majority bought the game. That's not lighting the world on fire - especially considering it was originally supposed to release alongside the movie and ride that wave - but it might limp on to a decent enough profit. As I posted, I'll be buying it once it's on sale. Star Wars, however, looks likes it'll limp to a million and basically die. It's worse received than Avatar and the Star Wars IP is getting close to cooked.

Top Bottom