• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws has sold around 800,000 copies according to Games Industry

S0ULZB0URNE

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it had to do with it being Ubisoft. I know a lot of the Jabba DLC stuff that was making rounds didn't really make a lot of people happy either. I highly doubt the protagonist's looks had anything to do with the game's performance. Never understood the outrage, I think she looks fine, you can find plenty of pictures like this. Not like I'm only playing games with protags that I'd wanna bang, lmao.

If the games good, that's all I care about. But all I've really heard is that the game is fine/mediocre, or good. Though I'm sure being a Star Wars fan and the level of one affects the outcome.
hq720.jpg
No she doesn't

NickFire

Yeah, at the end of the day it's not really about male/female protags. If the game is good then most of the time it'll sell well.
I agree too. 100%

Just leaving this here. I think there’s a clear pattern. When people think the game looks good, interesting, fun, etc. they are gonna play it. And different kinds of games will naturally be judged by different standards. Clash of clans doesn’t need a story. Sports games need a story relevant to an athlete coming up the ranks for story modes, or really fun progression to keep people hooked who skip through it anyway. Character based games need to have interesting characters relevant to the game. Etc., etc. And there’s room for everyone. Literally everyone. Just make them authentic. People can recognize the difference between authentic and paint by the numbers.

I’ve seen worst sales, but yeah that’s rather disappointing especially for such an expensive IP. I think one problem with the Star Wars IP in general, is it’s WAY too overexposed. Back then Star Wars was like a rare major event, now I feel thanks to the constant milking the franchise seems to have lost it’s presence, quality and mystery.

Stuart360

To be fair its only a few days sales, and 800k is probably around 60-70mil in sales when taking into account the people that bought the Gold or Ultimate Edition.

I read that AVATAR did 1.6mil sales in its first week. Outlaws probably wont be that far behind after a full weeks sales.

tkscz

To be fair its only a few days sales, and 800k is probably around 60-70mil in sales when taking into account the people that bought the Gold or Ultimate Edition.

I read that AVATAR did 1.6mil sales in its first week. Outlaws probably wont be that far behind after a full weeks sales.
After all is said in done, Ubisoft will receive probably 10 - 30 mil of that. There is a reason games can sell 5 million units and publishers still say it didn't sell enough.

It was an objectively bad show with terrible writing and horrible paper thin characters. Don’t confuse liking a show with it being good or bad. I like dog shit shows sometimes too.
Nah. Star Wars fans just get butthurt anytime a black person not named Lando is a lead.

E4 they were choreographing fights at a level Ive never seen before in the franchise. I’m not saying it was a masterpiece by any stretch, but again not a bad show.

Kotaro

Not at all. There are countless games that could never come close to 800k sales in the first week.

Now, was that a real question, or just a dig at the people who have been predicting underperformance after underperformance with almost crystal ball like accuracy? If it was the latter, well, it's a rather weak dig.

those countless games are not attached to license IP, and we're talking about Star Wars, one of the most expensive IP out there along with Harry Potter

For comparison, Hogwarts Legacy sold 12 million units in the first 2 weeks.

Jesb

I don't think UBI+ affected their AC games sales much, but it feels like more people are catching on to just sub for a month; perhaps UBI+ was a misstep for them since they don't really have a high volume of release output.
That’s basically what I did. Subbed for it and I’ll be cancelling it before it renews.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Everyone i know who played rented on their service. That is the problem to launch sp games in a service u can rent for a month and finish the game.
Eh… Outlaws fans will enjoy how The Best Deal In Gaming (Ubi edition) has helped the sequel to their games not to be created… if it only sells like this and it does not causes an immense boost in subscriptions indicating the same people would pay for far more (or they plan to introduce 3 months minimum subscriptions) then the game is toast as it costs a huge amount of money to make.

Not great. Their fault and to some degree they would have known before hand. There is a perception that companies like Ubisoft and Disney etc are stupid and don't understand why they are losing money. They absolutely do. They would have known that if they just made the main character Han Solo it would have sold significantly more. The investors on the other hand don't care about the politics, they just want to make money and that discrepancy between the stock holders and the woke upper management in these companies is going to come to ahead.

StereoVsn

I got to say though these numbers are a bit SUS as my kids would say. Is the source actually reliable and is it both digital and physical?

Even with all the issues and Star Wars going to shit as a brand, this seems low.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I think the marketing was weak. Star Wars just came off a thing people thought was terrible and Disney has hurt the brand. There is fatigue with SW. but a good movie would turn it all around.

The game also had bugs and I don’t think there was a clear picture of the game prior to release. Me seeing all the stealth stuff turned me off.

KiteGr

Star Wars is dead...
There was hope when Ubi took up the licence, but in that time Disney destroyed it. At this point, just wearing the IP might actually worked against it.

Tomi

Bad numbers :(
Ubisoft needs total 180° or someone will buy it very soon
Company is dying with this leadership...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Is Star Wars really that big of an ip anymore? Sure, at one time it was enormous, but since then Disney bought it and has oversaturated the franchise with mediocrity. It’s no longer the special thing it once was.

This just looks like an extension of that modern Star Wars stuff. Might be fun at a discount but it’s not worth a full price purchase.

Why such a blatant lie?? Did any "Star Wars fan" complain about Mace Windu as the leader of the Jedi council?

Everyone loves Samuel L. Jackson's character. What you are saying is fucking bullshit.
What I’m saying is subjective so I don’t care to argue back and forth. Samuel L Jackson is a top tier actor so he transcends roles often so that doesn’t even refute my point

Duchess

God, I remember being so excited for the sequel trilogy. My timeline went like this:

The Force Awakens - Okay, that was a good film. Not great, but good. They played it a little too safe, though.

Rogue One - Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, that was incredible! If they're going to put that much effort into a spin off movie, the next major film is going to be mind blowing! I can't wait to watch it!

The Last Jedi - Aaaaand, I'm done with this franchise.

What I’m saying is subjective so I don’t care to argue back and forth. Samuel L Jackson is a top tier actor so he transcends roles often so that doesn’t even refute my point
Your thesis was this:
Nah. Star Wars fans just get butthurt anytime a black person not named Lando is a lead.
Is Mace Windu black? Yes.
Is Mace Windu not named Lando? Also yes.
Is that subjective? No.

Therefore, your point is refuted.

mdkirby

Given it was 2 days, sounds quite good? Like what’s normal for what’s considered a moderately successful AAA release?

Generic

Shared on the gamesindustry.biz podcast, it was estimated through their insider data that Star wars outlaws sold an estimated 800k copies throughout the month of august Take into account the game came out on August 30th.
800k in two days sounds good. This is almost what Stellar Blade sold in 3 months.

Your thesis was this:

Is Mace Windu black? Yes.
Is Mace Windu not named Lando? Also yes.
Is that subjective? No.

Therefore, your point is refuted.
You’re actually agreeing with me. Sam J and Billy Dee are the same caliber. Actors that transcend their roles bc of their starpower reputation is silly to use to refute my point.

Ozzie666

Well they tried at least. But with Star Wars fees and Microsoft/Sony cut, there isn't much left to go around. The more I think about it the current Apple/Valve/Sony/Microsoft digital set-up is pretty unfair to developers, very little risk for the shop owners.

Do Sony and Microsoft take less % for physical copies? because 30% seems bonkers. I swear I don't remember the fee's being terrible to print/press and license to publish games.

PSA, a Mace Windu's book is coming out soon!

StereoVsn

Well they tried at least. But with Star Wars fees and Microsoft/Sony cut, there isn't much left to go around. The more I think about it the current Apple/Valve/Sony/Microsoft digital set-up is pretty unfair to developers, very little risk for the shop owners.

Do Sony and Microsoft take less % for physical copies? because 30% seems bonkers. I swear I don't remember the fee's being terrible to print/press and license to publish games.

PSA, a Mace Windu's book is coming out soon!
Physical copies make about 50% from price sold. Sometimes sellers like BestBuy or Amazon may have an agreement to ship unsold copies to the publisher depending on circumstances.

So digital in general is a lot more profitable to publishers even with MS, Sony, Nintendo, Steam, etc. fee.

You’re actually agreeing with me. Sam J and Billy Dee are the same caliber. Actors that transcend their roles bc of their starpower reputation is silly to use to refute my point.
Me: "The character in question is black and people didn't have a problem with that said character being black."
You: "But muh actors!"

Repeating the same non sequitur ad nauseam effectively refutes your own point. It's also telling that you cannot point to a specific part of my comment that you have a disagreement with. Oh and...

I guess this is also false. If you can't practice what you preach, then why would I assume you're arguing in good faith?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Can we now get back to normal? I don't think companies need more lessons, and we need AAA gaming back to shape again so they should stop these DEI stuff and also trying to make everything 200M.

The dumbest part of all this is that they would probably had released a great game with great female protagonist that everyone likes if they weren't trying too hard to comply to cliché DEI versión of "strong woman".

Top Bottom