• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws has sold around 800,000 copies according to Games Industry

Fake

Gold Member
Can we now get back to normal? I don't think companies need more lessons, and we need AAA gaming back to shape again so they should stop these DEI stuff and also trying to make everything 200M.

The dumbest part of all this is that they would probably had released a great game with great female protagonist that everyone likes if they weren't trying too hard to comply to cliché DEI versión of "strong woman".

I don't think companies are getting 'lessons'. They are chasing a target audience that don't even play video games.

I'm not giving any company a lesson. They don't make games that appeal to me, so I don't waste my money, in fact they are making me save money.

StereoVsn

I don't think companies are getting 'lessons'. They are chasing a target audience that don't even play video games.

I'm not giving any company a lesson. They don't make games that appeal to me, so I don't waste my money, in fact they are making me save money.
And until current management gets booted, not much will change. They may rename DEI to LEI or DMV or whatever, like some Universities are doing right now to hide from Supreme Court order and lawsuits.

DEI will continue until morale improves!

PSlayer

Some people are saying it's ok because it's only 2 days of sales.Thing is,sales are front loaded,those 800k numbers include months worth of pre orders and star war fans who bought day one. The next month won't be nice to this game. Can legs be good? sure! but don't expect 2 million copies milestone until price cuts hit.

Kacho

Some people are saying it's ok because it's only 2 days of sales.Thing is,sales are front loaded,those 800k numbers include months worth of pre orders and star war fans who bought day one. The next month won't be nice to this game. Can legs be good? sure! but don't expect 2 million copies milestone until price cuts hit.
It's just cope. Similar to people defending The Acolyte because they can't let 'chuds' have a victory. Or Final Fantasy fans claiming recent games didn't underperform, Square just had unrealistic expectations.

The gameplay looks repetitive as hell, combined with clearly woke inspired character designs, it better flop. Still happy about Stellar Blade, one developer was bold enough to counter this trend and they were rewarded for it.

Reactions: Isa

Frugal

Neo Member
That's awful for a Star Wars game, Disney takes a massive cut of all those sales. The Star Wars brand is not strong enough to carry such an uninspired game, this game would have sold like gangbusters if it came out a decade ago but no one cares anymore. These Star Wars games need stronger gameplay and story hooks to sell, you can't just put anything out with the name on it now.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just skip open world games and focus more on good story and gameplay.
I think the idea behind open world modern design was that it favored players retention by putting every possible likable mechanic in the game, also it favored mtx like the ones ubi sell (exp boost, walk speed boost, etc). I think they were trying to really live off one game or something like that

Bernardougf

Nah. Star Wars fans just get butthurt anytime a black person not named Lando is a lead.

E4 they were choreographing fights at a level Ive never seen before in the franchise. I’m not saying it was a masterpiece by any stretch, but again not a bad show.
When in distress pick up the bonus race card .... it has +2 in strawmaning and +4 in bad faith argumentation

Paasei

I just fail to understand why Ubisoft is so stuck in this standard gameplay loop. They do one thing right (hoe you discover new abilities), but everything else is so fucking basic. Such a shame, really. Objectively speaking most of their IPs have so much potential.

Last edited:
I just fail to understand why Ubisoft is so stuck in this standard gameplay loop. They do one thing right (hoe you discover new abilities), but everything else is so fucking basic. Such a shame, really. Objectively speaking most of their IPs have so much potential.

Because you need talented creators to innovate, what they had in the past. Copypasta freaks have replaced those so the company is stagnating.

Reactions: Isa

Just_one

Brought with a 3 for 2 promo alongside dragon ball sparkling zero and AC Shadows.

The game is not bad but its just not clicking for me at the moment.

To be honest i should have went it astrobot as the 3rd game in the promo but i wasnt feeling astrobot at the time.

Playing plucky squire at the time alongside broken sword reforged , i will go back to outlaws at some point im sure.

Hopefully the game clicks on me because taking the controversy of the protogonist aside, its not a bad game. The OST for an example is awesome,the space battles are pretty cool and the planets are really detailed.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Ubisoft is a conundrum. They possess potential, yet game directors at the company appears to persistently fall short of their objectives. This is puzzling, especially after f.ex. reading about the directors for Star Wars Outlaws in this article:

link to article

Creative director Julian Gerighty and game director Mathias Karlson may be playing Neon White and Rocket League in their free time, but it's easy to understand where their passion for shouldering the challenge of Star Wars Outlaws' construction comes from as we discuss the video games they love, and why.

"When you look at Rockstar Games, GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2, they are such works of incredible scope and detail at every single level; they are endlessly inspiring for professionals," says Gerighty. "They make a lot of decisions that you can agree or disagree with, but the level of execution, the level of imagination and commitment to what they are doing, is commendable. You'd be hard pressed to find a developer who, deep down in their jellies, doesn't recognize that."

Karlson adds: "Elden Ring is a fantastic experience, and I could talk at length about the key steps FromSoftware took across its previous games to make it the monster success that it has become. But the way you can just be curious, and be rewarded for just following your nose – especially throughout a game of that scale – is really very impressive."

So, they demonstrate a passion for video games and an understanding of what constitutes a great game. However, here comes Star Wars Outlaws, a game whose gameplay could arguably be mistaken for that of 2004 rather than 2024..

Last edited:

PeteBull

Just for comparision, jedi fallen order sales, straight from the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Jedi:_Fallen_Order

Electronic Arts confirmed that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order had the fastest-selling digital launch for any Star Wars game within its first two weeks on sale.[82] The game sold over 8 million units by the end of January 2020, exceeding EA's expectations.[83] Over 10 million units were sold by the end of March 2020.[84] By June 2021, the game had attracted over 20 million players.[85]
That alone confirms as long as game is decent(not crazy awesome top of the top but decent) SW IP can push it to tremendous sales worldwide, ubisoft dropped the ball like they usually do in recent years, no wonder their stock price is bombing just like that game :messenger_angry:

tkscz

Just for comparision, jedi fallen order sales, straight from the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Jedi:_Fallen_Order

That alone confirms as long as game is decent(not crazy awesome top of the top but decent) SW IP can push it to tremendous sales worldwide, ubisoft dropped the ball like they usually do in recent years, no wonder their stock price is bombing just like that game :messenger_angry:
That was back in 2020 though. While people didn't like The Last Jedi, Rouge One and The Mandolorian restored faith that Star Wars was still something worth being immersed in. Now, in 2024, Disney can't even get 4 million people to watch their newest Star Wars content, not even children are watching little Jedis or whatever that show is called. To the point the toys that cost $30 originally now cost $5. Jedi Fallen Order is a great game no doubt but if it released today it would not do that amazingly.

I think the idea behind open world modern design was that it favored players retention by putting every possible likable mechanic in the game, also it favored mtx like the ones ubi sell (exp boost, walk speed boost, etc). I think they were trying to really live off one game or something like that
But by putting every possible likable mechanic into the game, they are guaranteeing that everyone will hate 70% of the mechanics in the game.

I'm enjoying it a lot tbh. Not a Star Wars fan so maybe it helps that I'm not as furious with the series as other people. Don't love the stealth sections, but got the hang of them now. It's one of those games where you don't have to sit down for an hour following the story if you don't want, you can just potter around in the world doing stuff. Happily completing contracts and digging up intel at the moment, building my reputation with the factions. The main thing I don't like (or at least roll my eyes at) are the stealth takedowns - really Massive? That's the best you could do?

Apart from that, 12 hours in and haven't down a main story mission for quite some time. I like Kay's character. The woke accusations are even more unfounded here than usual. Aiming to finish it before Shattered Space but if not I think it's good enough for me to delay jumping back into Starfield... Want to be clear for Shadows in November though.

PaintTinJr

That was back in 2020 though. While people didn't like The Last Jedi, Rouge One and The Mandolorian restored faith that Star Wars was still something worth being immersed in. Now, in 2024, Disney can't even get 4 million people to watch their newest Star Wars content, not even children are watching little Jedis or whatever that show is called. To the point the toys that cost $30 originally now cost $5. Jedi Fallen Order is a great game no doubt but if it released today it would not do that amazingly.
I completely disagree. The EA games and Mandalorian expand out of the Clone Wars/Bad Batch Series and tales of the Jedi which are highly regarded animations by those that have watched them, and in today's settled opinions, Rogue One is considered decent by the Andor series being the best thing made by Disney with a SW name, and the Mandalorian's stock has been lowered by the way it ended and its connections with Boba Fett which was middling.

The EA games would still continue to do well releasing today because of the product and because the Clone Wars characters/locale they intersect aren't a problem because the series remains great SW.

There are two sales projections that we know of:
  1. Barclays projected Outlaws to sell 5 million by the end of this quarter.
  2. JP Morgan projected Outlaws to sell 5.5 million by the end of the fiscal year ending March 2025.
JP Morgan's projection came later after Outlaws has been in the market for a few days.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I'm enjoying it a lot tbh. Not a Star Wars fan so maybe it helps that I'm not as furious with the series as other people. Don't love the stealth sections, but got the hang of them now. It's one of those games where you don't have to sit down for an hour following the story if you don't want, you can just potter around in the world doing stuff. Happily completing contracts and digging up intel at the moment, building my reputation with the factions. The main thing I don't like (or at least roll my eyes at) are the stealth takedowns - really Massive? That's the best you could do?

Apart from that, 12 hours in and haven't down a main story mission for quite some time. I like Kay's character. The woke accusations are even more unfounded here than usual. Aiming to finish it before Shattered Space but if not I think it's good enough for me to delay jumping back into Starfield... Want to be clear for Shadows in November though.
I have no problem with a smaller woman (of any color or race) in a stealth game but she needs to take down targets differently than a man. Hell women probably make better thieves due to their dexterity.

But stealth takedowns with a knife ninja style is probably not very good for the age rating.

I have no problem with a smaller woman (of any color or race) in a stealth game but she needs to take down targets differently than a man. Hell women probably make better thieves due to their dexterity.

But stealth takedowns with a knife ninja style is probably not very good for the age rating.
There’s that issue, but also I was more complaining about them walking towards me, then I press X when the prompt appears on screen and the enemy stands up straight and stiff like a mannequin waiting for me to clobber them lol.

Kataploom

Gold Member
But by putting every possible likable mechanic into the game, they are guaranteeing that everyone will hate 70% of the mechanics in the game.
Definitely agree, yet they seem to justify it by saying that it's a big investment and that they have to engage as many people as possible, pretty bad take imo

kiphalfton

Frustrated World Cup GIF

hi-smile.gif

dragon age is next and let's see what kind of "modernity" Indiana Jones has.

it feels like a tipping point in entertainment in general with a bunch of high profile flops.

it was reported that Disney said to pixar to decrease the "gay" aspects on Inside Out 2.

Agreed 100 percent. They are chasing the wrong target audience with their DEI crap.

Hollywood that used to be a beacon of entertainment the world over have become repulsive for the majority of people.
I have not watched a single movie released since 2019 when I watched Avengers End game in theaters.

Video games like FFXVI, Concord, and others are suffering millions in losses due to less sales for chasing the wrong ideology. If they want to target the minority segment, they should become used to record losses on games.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Damn... How can you fuck up a well established franchise like that.
Spend 10+ years fumbling the ball, oversaturate with a constant slew of content, and insult your fanbase on a consistent basis. Eventually apathy will spread amongst fans and viewers like a virus.

Honestly it's a testament to how huge and beloved Star Wars is that this didn't start happening sooner.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
dragon age is next and let's see what kind of "modernity" Indiana Jones has.

it feels like a tipping point in entertainment in general with a bunch of high profile flops.

it was reported that Disney said to pixar to decrease the "gay" aspects on Inside Out 2.
2024 is a reckoning. TV, movies and gaming. People had enough DEI stuff, and traditional manly content being womanized too. People voted with their wallets and viewership numbers. Like anything in life, swing the pendulum too far and fast and it'll rebound hard too. It's like politics. Best way for any side to get their way long term is to inch their way and get people to normalize it as a way of life. Kind of like when you hear people say political parties now are way different than how they were 25 years ago kind of thing. Swing it too harshly greedy on people and they revolt.

But not everything will turn on a dime. So expect another couple years worth of failures as you got stuff already in motion. Also, media creators with their egos are a stubborn bunch. Only so many will adjust or delay stuff. But I think in 2026+, media content as a whole will normalize. It wont go back to all dude bro gaming content like the 360/PS3 days, but it'll gravitate closer to that like a midway point.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
2024 is a reckoning. TV, movies and gaming. People had enough DEI stuff, and traditional manly content being womanized too. People voted with their wallets and viewership numbers. Like anything in life, swing the pendulum too far and fast and it'll rebound hard too. It's like politics. Best way for any side to get their way long term is to inch their way and get people to normalize it as a way of life. Kind of like when you hear people say political parties now are way different than how they were 25 years ago kind of thing. Swing it too harshly greedy on people and they revolt.

But not everything will turn on a dime. So expect another couple years worth of failures as you got stuff already in motion. Also, media creators with their egos are a stubborn bunch. Only so many will adjust or delay stuff. But I think in 2026+, media content as a whole will normalize. It wont go back to all dude bro gaming content like the 360/PS3 days, but it'll gravitate closer to that like a midway point.
The fact that Bob Iger was asked about the woke shit during an investor call was kind of amazing to hear. Now, Yves Guillemot acknowledging the drama around "creative decisions'" is also huge. Concord's complete rejection was glorious to witness.

there has been a string of high profile flops and the relentless negativity online around this issue is definitively having an effect on things. (at least from a PR/Marketing perspective)

someone on ResetEra, working in a DEI department, said they can't use certain words anymore. There is a video of a former Sweet Baby Inc. employee saying that companies fear being associated with Sweet Baby Inc too.

i think you are right about taking a coupe of years more (assuming high profile flops keep occurring). I just wonder if things are going to get nastier and more complex:

Companies continuing to trim the fat in general and A.I. implementation... which makes me think on MS completely shitting the bed as gaming business creating some kind of crash.

CashPrizes

I just subbed to Ubisoft+ for 1 month, got 3 more days left before the sub ends, but I am like 80% done with Outlaws and really am just trying to max out the remaining ability trees before I do the final story missions.

Pretty good deal for $15 or $18 or whatever it cost. Also got to try out that Avatar game (no thanks) and the recent Prince of Persia.

Maybe some people will find value in the service and continue paying for it, not me.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I just subbed to Ubisoft+ for 1 month, got 3 more days left before the sub ends, but I am like 80% done with Outlaws and really am just trying to max out the remaining ability trees before I do the final story missions.

Pretty good deal for $15 or $18 or whatever it cost. Also got to try out that Avatar game (no thanks) and the recent Prince of Persia.

Maybe some people will find value in the service and continue paying for it, not me.

It's clear to anyone except Ubisoft that Ubisoft+ is too much value for money. The big publishers only lose money by putting brand new AAA games on day 1 on a subcription service where you can drop in and out on a monthly basis at a price that's a third of what you'd pay for the full game.

TBiddy

I don't like games that force me to stealth, unless it's a stealth game. I don't like seeing a 50 kg woman knocking down stormtroopers in armor without breaking her bones. I don't like the gameplay of the game, really. I suspect I'm not the only one.

Top Bottom