• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws launch sales less than half of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor managed in 2023

Hookshot

Gold Member

It was a disappointing launch for Ubisoft's big Star Wars game. The first week's sales were less than half of what EA's Star Wars Jedi: Survivor managed to achieve back in 2023. It did, however, sell better than 2020's space combat game Star Wars Squadrons (also by EA).

If it's like that everywhere it's no wonder Ubisoft's shares were falling.

Also has a brief bit on Concord.

One of the most talked about games of August was Sony's Concord release, which failed to find an audience and was subsequently pulled from sale. The game charted at No.347 across Europe for August. It was the 13th best-selling new game of August, behind Nintendo's Emio: The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club. Note: Nintendo games do not include digital sales.

ahtlas7

Gold Member
Saddest part is it didn’t have to be this way
Obi Wan Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

simpatico

If I had to guess I'd be Outlaws cost nearly double to make what Survivor did. Survivor was really bland. All the areas looked great, but I found I was really having to push myself to boot it up. Ended up uninstalling and just canceling GamePass again after a couple weeks. Wish Respawn used that effort to make a new action adventure RPG IP. I've got a feeling it would have had more soul and the Jedi series, which just feels like a product rather than art.

Last edited:

Kacho

I look forward to them addressing the issues, see what they can salvage out of this flop. If Breakpoint is anything to go by we will get some meaty changes that are worth checking out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In the plus side, gaming has way too many games flooding the market anyway.

This reckoning of gamers and tv/movie watchers voting with their wallet will sink many ships.

After it’s all settled, this will return to balance. And for tech and gaming that’s quality of product and insane employee counts which ballooned the past bunch of years as if COVID sales would zoom up forever. The techie industries thought that and went ape shit on hiring and costs thinking the golden goose would be infinite eggs. True only industry that did that.

Just like the stock market when things go too high or low, it always comes back the other way. Just a matter of when. And it turns out 2024 is the year.

Last edited:

Zathalus

If it was a white male protagonist it would've sold as much as Survivor, maybe more. Bet.
Doubtful. The game is mediocre and you don’t play as a Jedi, two strikes against it.

Plenty of mediocre games out there that feature white male protagonists that have bombed. Some of them even Star Wars games.

If this game was actually good and not typical Ubi slop it would have done way better.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Star Wars has become a minefield, with way too many bad games, tv shows and movies.
People have become increasingly wary of the Star Wars brand.

Ubisoft just reinforced this point with such a lame game.
All these recent bomb games probably started development 4-5 years ago. So at that time DEI stuff was at a high. Unfortunately for them it’s come crashing down the past year or two. So they got burned.

If it was here and there that’s fine. But when you got all of them copying a trend like back in the 360 days and everyone started copying COD it gets to a point of stupid saturation. At least for that trend is simply too many dude bro military shooters dressed in green and brown uniforms. There wasn’t politics or DEI involved preaching warped ethics like present day.

Solarstrike

Few things I would fix. One being the swinging animation(s)grappling hook. Seems kinda jank as if a few frames of animations are missing and/or the whole thing was added during the final stages of the games development. The speeder bike controls also need work

Last edited:

Zathalus

Mandalorians popularity says otherwise. People dont care about lightsabers if the media is incredibly great.
The last Star Wars game that you played as a Mandalorian was also mediocre and flopped. Even Republic Commando was a sales disappointment.

The most popular single player Star Wars games have always been those where you play as a Jedi or a Starfighter pilot. Or Lego.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If after all this and AC Shadows shenanigans won't make them change what they're doing drastically as a company and shift focus to what they did best and before AC was even a thing, remove Uplay from the face of the earth (but before that remove all Uplay requirements for games on Steam), they're effin' dead for good I tell ya.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If it was a white male protagonist it would've sold as much as Survivor, maybe more. Bet.
I bet there are a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of closed door meetings across the entertainment spectrum discussing this very thing. They simply can not deny that "horny frat boys" are the PREDOMINATE market for certain types of things and that any hypothetical audience they might be trying to cater to is just that....hypothetical.

And it wouldn't even preclude diversity with ethnic and female representation. You CAN do that stuff without alienating that massive core demographic by simply not PREACHING to them about how bad they are! Had they sexed up that Outlaws character a bit, maybe teased a mission where she infiltrates a Hutt palace in the Leia slave garb, all would have been ok. Had GoY just had a less batshit crazy VO for the female lead, I don't think anyone would be complaining (because, after all, we have been constantly told that cartoon characters MUST be fully represented by their VO actor). Had Yasuke just been the mentor/quest giver (or hell, a BOSS to defeat after a long quest exploring his story) instead of the lead in a looooong awaited Japanese focused AC game, GREAT! It would be like having a game set in the height of the Aztec empire starring a Samoan who just happened to make it across the pacific on a log (sure, there are rumors it happened but it's hardly the norm by any stretch of the imagination).

Some stuff like Concord are lost causes and some films like The Marvels were just never destined for success, but a lot of it could be radically improved by fewer blue hairs and more fun storytellers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dont worry we already have a fucking bugfix roadmap for a fully priced 70 game

I guess im playing this after nov 21 on the Pro at half price

By Nov 21, it'll 4 patches in 3 months.

Well, that's digital download gaming for ya. Release the game at any time "when it's good enough". Follow up with endless updates after.

On the plus side, at least software makers dont make cars. "Thanks for buying our car, we plan on adding AC on day one, a month later we'll add radio, and later on we'll also add AWD and heated seats".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I bet there are a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of closed door meetings across the entertainment spectrum discussing this very thing. They simply can not deny that "horny frat boys" are the PREDOMINATE market for certain types of things and that any hypothetical audience they might be trying to cater to is just that....hypothetical.

And it wouldn't even preclude diversity with ethnic and female representation. You CAN do that stuff without alienating that massive core demographic by simply not PREACHING to them about how bad they are! Had they sexed up that Outlaws character a bit, maybe teased a mission where she infiltrates a Hutt palace in the Leia slave garb, all would have been ok. Had GoY just had a less batshit crazy VO for the female lead, I don't think anyone would be complaining (because, after all, we have been constantly told that cartoon characters MUST be fully represented by their VO actor). Had Yasuke just been the mentor/quest giver (or hell, a BOSS to defeat after a long quest exploring his story) instead of the lead in a looooong awaited Japanese focused AC game, GREAT! It would be like having a game set in the height of the Aztec empire starring a Samoan who just happened to make it across the pacific on a log (sure, there are rumors it happened but it's hardly the norm by any stretch of the imagination).

Some stuff like Concord are lost causes and some films like The Marvels were just never destined for success, but a lot of it could be radically improved by fewer blue hairs and more fun storytellers.
Its so easy.

Just cut out all the DEI and politics and glam up the characters. Everything from the texture quality, audio, game modes etc.... can all be the same. Just give the writers and artists a kick in the ass to knock off the political agendas. And if the bosses are involved too, then the BoD or CEO has to fire them too. If everyone is in on it, then best thing to do is let them rot. Any bank or investment company with big dollars to spend just avoid funding them and let them go broke. Dont waste your money on Concord, Dustborn, Outlaws or any other shit. Just toss that money into a 5% interest bearing account and ride it out until something really good is worth investing in.

I dont think anyone cared Cole was a Gears of War meathead. He just kicked ass with the crew and even stereotypically played football as a big black guy. The core game and story was smashing aliens to bits. If it was made now, Cole would be talking about locker room hysterics when he played football about players coming out as gay or not. How that has anything to do with killing aliens who knows. But modern day drama queens would somehow weave it into the story like a focal point how to kill the King Locust.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If it were Han Solo, which it should have been and not some DEI wish dot com retcon butt chunked face Fem Solo, it would have outsold Jedi Survivor.

Disney has ran this franchise into the ground, and turned the once ravenous fanbase away. That's quite a feat.

Last edited:
So what should Ubisoft learn from it:

-The old checklist system with do the same thing a thousand times doesn’t work anymore.

- Players are sick of woke inspired agendas.

What Ubisoft takes away in reality:

- We have to sell on stream from day 1…

Top Bottom