• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws | Review Thread

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

PaintTinJr

First time I've bothered with reading a review in a long time, but glad I did, and returned to an old haunt(Eurogamer) that regardless of score or leaning typically let me determine whether a game was likely to have a chance to be worth my money.

The review is very detailed and reads like someone that's been gaming in that genre as long as I have, and didn't need a score to tell me this a pick up dirt cheaper later, if at all affair, especially with the parting comment about Andor that shows the reviewer is committed to SW and tracking where it all fit together and looking for extra quality SW story.

Despite the accompanying video in the review looking semi-appealing watched part way through reading, it was interesting IMO how the review text by the end had dismantled that perception in covering a multitude of design issues that make it sound like a miserable experience to actually complete, and with little payoff in regards of story and character development.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not satisfied with some of the most egregious yellow paint in a modern video game, Outlaws couples this with yellow tubes on the floor that lead you to your next location, yellow arrows painted on white placards, often pointing towards large bits of yellow paint, and overt, continuous button prompts assigned to every ledge, grapple point and handlebar. The result is something several leaps beyond the faintly patronising but at least understandable yellow ledges that spark debate, to something utterly, inexcusably infantilising, regardless of the audience Ubisoft Massive is shooting for here.

via Eurogamer

Kurotri

The Kinda Funny guys are some of the worst, but Ive been flipping through reviews all day to see what people are saying

Greg Miller gave it a 4/10 and Ive never heard him trash something like this before :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Damn that's brutal, IIRC Greg generally likes Ubi games so this must be one huge stinker

Edit: I just got done reading the Eurogamer review and it's fuckin insane, it completey shreds the game apart. Recommend reading it if you want to see a bloodbath.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Much has been made of Kay's ability to punch out helmet-wearing Stormtroopers with a single biff, which frankly is a bit of a non-issue. Far more interesting to me is the fact that, as indicated by several guard barks on discovering the crumpled bodies of their peers, Kay is in fact killing these people

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

The Eurogamer review is excellent

salva

simpatico

Gold Member
Based on some videos I've seen today, even giving this game a 7 is a huge blow to the credibility of any games media organization. This is the new Webster definition of sloppa.

a stepping stone from, say, TT Games' Lego Star Wars to Respawn's Jedi series
Holy shit. I just tried getting through Jedi Survivor and found it way too targeted at early teen gamers. Is Eurogamer saying SW Outlaws is best enjoyed by 11 year olds? Whole thing really felt like an after school cartoon TV show. Very similar in tone.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It lacks the linear polish and charisma of Uncharted. Lacks the animation flow to its yellow-ledge platforming next to a Horizon, or the sheer joy of taking platforming and making it into an actual game in itself, as in Star Wars Jedi. And, somewhat nightmarishly for Ubisoft Massive, which couldn't have known about this when committing to it at the time, Outlaws opts to tell a Star Wars heist story in a world after Andor, which has already done so with such sensitivity, humanity and precision that Kay and co's cameo-ridden non-event is unfortunately left feeling lightyears behind.

Fucking ouch

simpatico

Gold Member
It took nearly a decade of expensive R&D, but somehow Ubisfot has done it. They surpassed the girl from Mass Effect Andromeda. You think developers are just trolling? DMing each other "watch what I can get them to let me put in the game lmao"

Sleepwalker

Star wars is not a serious franchise so to expect this game to have a decent story and coming from ubisoft of all people is kinda crazy.

Cant believe thats the character model they actually shipped tho.

It lacks the linear polish and charisma of Uncharted. Lacks the animation flow to its yellow-ledge platforming next to a Horizon, or the sheer joy of taking platforming and making it into an actual game in itself, as in Star Wars Jedi. And, somewhat nightmarishly for Ubisoft Massive, which couldn't have known about this when committing to it at the time, Outlaws opts to tell a Star Wars heist story in a world after Andor, which has already done so with such sensitivity, humanity and precision that Kay and co's cameo-ridden non-event is unfortunately left feeling lightyears behind.

Fucking ouch

what can I say? i'm sure that a 'mature' star wars, full of 'sensitivity, humanity, and precision' likely also leaves the original movie trilogy light-years behind. proving what, exactly? that it's just juvenile junk now, too?...

damidu

How the fuck did this land a 77 at metacritic? After watching Kinda Funny, it sound like a 50 metacritic game.
power of the ip push most probably, it really seems like even worse than your standard ubi open world.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Has anyone ever done a full deep dive on who gets their scores counted for MetaCritic? I decided to do some digging on the oddly high scores from some people. I found this lad, who appears to be a blood relative of the MC in Outlaws.

He recommends over 98% of the games he's ever reviewed. I've got a feeling publishers have a little too much sway in who gets their review counted towards the Meta score.

This next guy seems to mostly review Indie slop. Of the bigger releases, he holds SW Outlaws in higher regard than Cyberpunk 2077, Horizon Forbidden West and Sea of Thieves.

I'm convinced this next guy is just an AI chat bot. Even the website "he" "writes" for, seems like it's entirely AI generated.

This next guy gave Gollum a 7/10

We're getting hosed lads. Do publishers really make billion dollar decisions based on these people's taste?

Last edited:
So basically it's generic Ubisoft open world crap except they stripped most of the time wasting collectathon shit out and showed us why Ubisoft open world crap is the most vapid and superficial time wasting game design in existence?

And then instead of just using actual Han Solo they put some random gremlin instead as the main character?

I'm sure it will still sell 10 million like all the other Ubicrap though, Ubisoft does what they do because it makes them money

phant0m

Has anyone ever done a full deep dive on who gets their scores counted for MetaCritic? I decided to do some digging on the oddly high scores from some people. I found this lad, who appears to be a blood relative of the MC in Outlaws.

He recommends over 98% of the games he's ever reviewed. I've got a feeling publishers have a little too much sway in who gets their review counted towards the Meta score.

This next guy seems to mostly review Indie slop. Of the bigger releases, he holds SW Outlaws in higher regard than Cyberpunk 2077, Horizon Forbidden West and Sea of Thieves.

We're getting hosed lads.
Aggregators have always been dogshit. People hold a MC/OC score as fucking gospel when really it’s a general temperature.

I rely solely on YT reviewers I trust (namely ACG, SkillUp and gameranx) along with friend recommendations.

It’s also easier than ever to just try stuff yourself now either via GamePass, Ubi+ or just steam refunds.

But a lot of people these days just want someone to tell them what to think so they can dunk on it on the internet.

Last edited:

Rivdoric

I feel very ashamed as a French to see that the worst AAA studio comes from my country.
Honestly at this point they are even shittier than EA.
But maybe they are just an accurate reflexion of the poor state of France overall.

Top Bottom