• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

The prequels will only become more irrelevant as time goes on I think.

It's nice that the TV shows and other EU stuff is trying to bridge the disparities between the OT and PT (trying to fix the mess rather) but I agree. In terms of the mainline films I don't reckon the PT will ever have any real influence.

The "more" content of that content is probably going to be as calorie-free as possible. They're not even going to press it to a disc.

Hell, it's probably already available as part of an EPK somewhere. Daisy Ridley interview, John Boyega interview, Costumes fluff piece, Weapons fluff piece. I bet they're already on youtube somewhere in some form.

-griffy-

Banned
Here, I'll give you a transcript of the interviews from the Target thing: Ridley "Oh my god you guys, this is CRAZY. I can't believe it."
Boyega "Come on! I'm on the Mellenium Falcon!"

Metalmarc

I cant believe we have to wait in the UK another week later, we had the cinema showing earlier, I have no patience haha

I have been asked countless times why i want to see it again after seeing it 3 times in the cinema, (no one i know offline, realises that my view count is low compared to most fans), anyway i say " it's like going on your Favourite Rollercoaster ride, A damn fine Star Wars Rollercoaster ride, sure i know whats coming, but it's a hell of a ride" , "It's fast, exciting, thrilling, has edge of your seat moments, ups and downs and before you know it" it's all over"

Someone restart this ride, i wanna go again.

Anth0ny

The "more" content of that content is probably going to be as calorie-free as possible. They're not even going to press it to a disc.

Hell, it's probably already available as part of an EPK somewhere. Daisy Ridley interview, John Boyega interview, Costumes fluff piece, Weapons fluff piece. I bet they're already on youtube somewhere in some form.

Here, I'll give you a transcript of the interviews from the Target thing: Ridley "Oh my god you guys, this is CRAZY. I can't believe it."
Boyega "Come on! I'm on the Mellenium Falcon!"

Yup. And in 2016, if it's not already on YouTube, it'll be on YouTube within days.

The hour long behind the scenes documentary that'll be included with every blu Ray? Probably not. That's the stuff actually worth watching and worth owning.

TheXbox

Yup. And in 2016, if it's not already on YouTube, it'll be on YouTube within days.

The hour long behind the scenes documentary that'll be included with every blu Ray? Probably not. That's the stuff actually worth watching and worth owning.
Do we know that the documentary is actually going to be an hour? I really hope it is, but I'm not holding my breath.

Vashetti

Banned
Do we know that the documentary is actually going to be an hour? I really hope it is, but I'm not holding my breath.

We know the lengths of every feature

– Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey (69:14)

– The Story Awakens: The Table Read (4:01)

– Crafting Creatures (9:34)

– Building BB-8 (6:03)

– Blueprint Of A Battle: The Snow Fight (7:02)

– ILM: The Visual Magic Of The Force (7:54)

– John Williams: The Seventh Symphony (6:51)

– Deleted Scenes:
1. Finn And The Villager (0:31)
2. Jakku Message (0:47)
3. X-Wings Prepare For Lightspeed (0:22)
4. Kylo Searches The Falcon (0:50)
5. Snow Speeder Chase (0:48)
6. Finn Will Be Fine (0:23)

– Force For Change (3:22)

TheXbox

– Deleted Scenes:

– Force For Change (3:22)
Right on, thanks.

Metalmarc

– Deleted Scenes:

Wow didnt expect all of those deleted scences to be so short, maybe they could have left them in.

TheXbox

Wow didnt expect all of those deleted scences to be so short, maybe they could have left them in.
Some of them were probably omitted because they created plot holes or inconsistencies. Kylo Ren boarding the Falcon is cool, but then you have to wonder why he didn't blow it up afterwards.

No doubt they're holding onto a lot of footage for that 9-film boxset, stuff like Maz handing over Luke's lightsaber to Leia.

GhaleonEB

One month until we get this ish in crisp 1080p:
SPOILER
Another reminder how great the ending fights are. The setting, lighting, direction, choreography, the emotions on display, the weight of the weapons, the sparks as the blades clash. Goddamn I want to rewatch it right now.

Nice, nearly 2 hours of behind the scenes material. Much more than I was expecting - I didn't realize the big one was over an hour.

And Maz using the Force to pull down the ceiling of her base to help them escape.

Fucking Maz Kanata. Literally nobody's favourite Star Wars character. Yoda 2 bullshit. Thank Christ they didn't have it using The Force.

Actually fuck this film.

Yoda 2.
Vader 2.
Luke 2.
Emperor 2.
Cantina 2.
Tarkin 2.
Death Star 3.

It's a disgrace.

Have a nice night.

Fucking Maz Kanata. Literally nobody's favourite Star Wars character. Yoda 2 bullshit. Thank Christ they didn't have it using The Force.

Actually fuck this film.

Yoda 2.
Vader 2.
Luke 2.
Emperor 2.
Cantina 2.
Death Star 3.

It's a disgrace.

Have a nice night.

alright-disney-calm-down-with-the-star-wars-promotions-25-photos13.gif

Cheebo

Banned

Actually fuck this film.

Yoda 2.
Vader 2.
Luke 2.
Emperor 2.
Cantina 2.
Tarkin 2.
Death Star 3.

It's a disgrace.

Have a nice night.
I like how you assume any of those character archetypes originated with the original trilogy. Force Awakens is no different to the OT than A New Hope is to Flash Gordon

TheXbox

^ lmao

Maz is so weird. The second act in general is kind of a clusterfuck, and Maz is at the center of it all.

I liked maz. But she stuck out because everything was practical. I hope they consider using a puppet, but on the other hand EP1 yoda was pretty crappy.

TheXbox

I'm still not sure anyone working on the film was clear on why they even go to Maz's castle.

Finn: Solo, why are we here?
Han: (grunts) We need a clean ship.

Five minutes later they fly the unclean ship to the Resistance Base, and then to the super-secret obscenely-important location of Luke Skywalker. Okay. Also this chick has Luke's lightsaber? Also she uses the Force?? (ok no she doesn't) She then disappears from the movie shortly after her utility is expensed.

Hopefully we get some insight on the changes that were made in the documentary. I don't know what happened, but evidently there was severe restructuring around the second act.

I like Maz, by the way. I just think they had no idea what to do with her, other than she HAD to be there.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm still not sure anyone working on the film was clear on why they even go to Maz's castle.

Finn: Solo, why are we here?
Han: (grunts) We need a clean ship.

Five minutes later they fly the unclean ship to the Resistance Base, and then to the super-secret obscenely-important location of Luke Skywalker. Okay. Also this chick has Luke's lightsaber? Also she uses the Force?? (ok no she doesn't) She then disappears from the movie shortly after her utility is expensed.

Hopefully we get some insight on the changes that were made in the documentary. I don't know what happened, but evidently there was severe restructuring around the second act.

I like Maz, by the way. I just think they had no idea what to do with her, other than she HAD to be there.

A story for another time.

RPGCrazied

Why couldn't the steelbook have the character art??? I haven't seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure Kylo isn't the main character.

I thought it was because Han was trying to avoid seeing Leia and thought it was better for them as fugitives to find safer passage to the Resistance base. Han knew Maz and trusted that she could help. Yes it's also to introduce Maz and move the story forward in other ways but that's how it works.

TheXbox

I thought it was because Han was trying to avoid seeing Leia and thought it was better for them as fugitives to find safer passage to the Resistance base. Han knew Maz and trusted that she could help. Yes it's also to introduce Maz and move the story forward in other ways but that's how it works.
Which still leaves us with the issue of the movie forgetting that the Millenium Falcon is supposedly dirty.

And the idea that all those people die and Rey gets kidnapped because Han is a giant pussy is a little upsetting. Not that you're wrong, because I think that's part of it, but I still don't like it.

Metalmarc

Maz was fine the only jarring thing on first view was Snoke, but once you get used to him, on second viewing it was fine, especially when you knew it was a hologram

I dont get the Maz hate.

Which still leaves us with the issue of the movie forgetting that the Millenium Falcon is supposedly dirty.

And the idea that all those people die and Rey gets kidnapped because Han is a giant pussy is a little upsetting. Not that you're wrong, because I think that's part of it, but I still don't like it.

I actually think a big part of Han's character journey is that he intentionally tries to avoid things and act like there's no problems, just like him initially refusing to help the alliance with the Death Star attack, how he's always on the run from Jabba, and now how he's avoiding Leia and brushing certain things under the rug. I liked the Kanjiklub stuff because it showed us that even after Han got out of the predicaments we found him in during the OT that he still finds himself in trouble. So to me Han has always sorta had a layer of cowardice in him but ends up finding his humanity which leads to him helping someone or getting himself or others deeper into shit.

Once the First Order showed up earlier than expected (because goth chick called them in), the Falcon being "dirty" didn't matter. The First Order still would have tracked anyone flying out of the system.

WillyFive

I had no idea there were people in this forum that would dislike Maz. She is one of the coolest new characters.

It's one of those intriguing, fantasy like characters you'd expect Star Wars to have but haven't been focused on in decades.

I had no idea there were people in this forum that would dislike Maz. She is one of the coolest new characters.

It's one of those intriguing, fantasy like characters you'd expect Star Wars to have but haven't been focused on in decades.
I loved her. Especially the voice

TheXbox

Once the First Order showed up earlier than expected (because goth chick called them in), the Falcon being "dirty" didn't matter. The First Order still would have tracked anyone flying out of the system.
I'm not gonna die on this hill because it doesn't really matter, but the movie explains later on that the First Order finds the Resistance Base for unrelated reasons. (Something about scout ships) And, again, they fly this filthy disgusting spaceship right in the direction of Luke Skywalker. Maybe the Resistance cleans it, whatever that even means. I'm sure they'll write a book about it.

Brandon, you're totally right about Han's character, but I think the sequence onboard the freighter tells us enough about his character and the state of his marriage. The rest of it? Han don't need that kinda blood on his hands.

Brandon, you're totally right about Han's character, but I think the sequence onboard the freighter tells us enough about his character and the state of his marriage. The rest of it? Han don't need that kinda blood on his hands.

I wouldn't say it's really blood on his hands specifically. He was doing what he thought was best at the time and several factions were after them at once. I think Han felt this was the better way of handling things but maybe underestimated the First Orders' speed of pursuit. It was basically just a shit situation and not really Han's fault at large. If anything the fault was shared across all of 'em.

Raistlin

It was finished in 2K, and Disney isn't interested in putting out 2K upscales, so you'll be waiting a long time.
I couldn't care less about the resolution. However I most definitely want the superior color and dynamic range. Fuck 8-bit / rec 709.

Disney is completely missing the point. There's a reason VUDU keeps HDR going even when bandwidth constrains the resolution down.

It's nice that they are saying the 3D one will be later this year instead of pretending it doesn't exist in the hopes people will double dip.

I'll get the 3D one, I hope the wait won't be too long.

I'm not gonna die on this hill because it doesn't really matter, but the movie explains later on that the First Order finds the Resistance Base for unrelated reasons. (Something about scout ships) And, again, they fly this filthy disgusting spaceship right in the direction of Luke Skywalker. Maybe the Resistance cleans it, whatever that even means. I'm sure they'll write a book about it.

I know. I figured the scout ships were able to find the Resistance planet by tracking/following the Resistance as they left the system.

Rootbeer

Banned
I loved the documentaries that came with the Prequels (The Beginning being the best, which is now famously quoted and gifed to hell in Star Wars discussions across the internet), I can't get my paws on those special features soon enough.

Empire of Dreams is amazing too, on the OT side of things. I need to go on another SW docu binge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom