• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

None of them. Studios don't give a shit about visual continuity apparently.

At the whims of some marketing exec.

I got the OT steelbooks, and it's a shame this won't match. I also got season 1 and 2 of game of thrones in steelbooks, but the following seasons seem delayed or cancelled.

FTF

VJHaw-.gif

- Darkest moment ✓
- Most emotional moment ✓
- Best visual moment ✓
- Best music cue ✓
- Best choreography ✓
- Best performance by Mark Hamill ✓
- Best moment ✓

Yup, this right here is my favorite moment perhaps in any SW movie. The music and emotions it elicits are amazing...goosebumps every time.

If there's going to be commentary they might as well wait for the "complete trilogy" version comes out along with the retrospective (as if they're not going to have X, XI and XII). A cast one and then the one with directors, writers, SFX guys, ect.

I think it would be neat if they cap the Episodes at X. Seems a cool number to end it at rather than stretching it for another trilogy.

NateDog

God, the emotional rollercoaster that will be the Complete Saga edition with all nine films and Annie, Luke, and Rey on the cover.

Now you guys are making me think of just waiting until then to buy the older ones on Blu-ray. The missus has the previous 6 on DVD but I wanted them on Blu-ray and in a more complete package with extras but maybe now I should wait.

bgbball31

I hate all of these covers, so I'll probably get the Target one and wait for someone to upload a good custom cover.

If I get lazy and just want to buy it in town, then BB-8 it is.

-griffy-

Banned

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I might have missed it as I skipped a few pages, but do we have the cover for the standard blu-ray yet? as in the actual case and not the slip cover?

When you say Empire has the best sound, does this refer to the score, sound editing, effects etc specifically or all of em together?

Score/Sound Effects/Dialog. You could put the movie on with no display attached to the player and it'd still be beautiful.

And yeah, using the old blu-ray "complete saga" set to actually house the complete saga when Episode 9 comes out is a pretty decent idea. I repurposed the LOTR EE books from DVD to house the blu-ray extendeds, the theatrical, and the theatrical bonus disc (used the theatrical bd cases to hold the EE bonus discs)

iPaul93

YES GOD YES!I have a week off from work from the 4th till the 11th of April and I haven't gotten to watch it in the theaters so I'll just wait for the blu ray to be released.The time couldn't be more perfect.

-griffy-

Banned
It'll be real. Someone will mock it up and make it downloadable/printable.

Hmm, this is a pretty strong argument for just getting the standard Blu-ray with the standard case actually. There's gonna be so many custom Blu-ray covers/inserts it'll be easy to find one you like and print it off yourself. Probably are already.

Kemal86

Which cover matches the current US SteelBook ver? Also, I wished it had episode VII somewhere on the cover(or spine)

If you're referring to the individually sold Steelbooks, none really. The Best Buy TFA Steelbook is the closest. It matches the "layout" (close up of a face with the logo in a bottom corner, no episode # on the spine) but some of the formatting is way off. I posted about it a couple pages back.

This might be the first movie I ever buy, digitally. I'm looking at PSN to get it but should I turn elsewhere? Maybe Amazon movies?

-griffy-

Banned
This might be the first movie I ever buy, digitally. I'm looking at PSN to get it but should I turn elsewhere? Maybe Amazon movies?

Worth noting that if you buy it on PSN, you only have it on PSN. If you buy it on Amazon or iTunes, you can link it to your Disney Movies Anywhere account and it will also unlock it for iTunes, Amazon, VUDU, Google Play and Microsoft if you have accounts for those services.

And considering the Blu-ray comes with the digital code and is going for the same price as the digital only version at $19.99, it frankly makes the most since to just get the Blu-ray. That way you'll have the Blu-ray, the DVD, the bonus features, AND the digital version on 5 services plus Disney's website for streaming.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
God, the emotional rollercoaster that will be the Complete Saga edition with all nine films and Annie, Luke, and Rey on the cover.

On the downside, I would have no idea how to pull off a group marathon to newcomers anymore.

Worth noting that if you buy it on PSN, you only have it on PSN. If you buy it on Amazon or iTunes, you can link it to your Disney Movies Anywhere account and it will also unlock it for iTunes, Amazon, VUDU, Google Play and Microsoft if you have accounts for those services.

And considering the Blu-ray comes with the digital code and is going for the same price as the digital only version at $19.99, it frankly makes the most since to just get the Blu-ray. That way you'll have the Blu-ray, the DVD, the bonus features, AND the digital version on 5 services plus Disney's website for streaming.

Thanks for providing me all that detail. Makes sense, like you said, to get the physical disc.

7 will be the last watched in any marathon at least until 8 comes out.

Proper watch order is sequential. Including 1-3 (I'm never going to tell newcomers to not watch the prequels regardless of how I or any other fans may feel about them, let them make their own mind up)

Also, the prequels are made with the thought that you have foreknowledge of things such as Jedi.

ANH is designed as if you know nothing, which is why it is the best start point.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Release order is still the proper order, but it does seem like 7 be viewed right after 6 don't it?
Not necessarily an issue of order, but rather endurance, especially with 8 and 9 coming but...

The prequels will only become more irrelevant as time goes on I think.

This is also true. Thing is, I think the prequels still have some sort of place in terms of a marathon.

For example, I did a group marathon from morning to midnight prior to TFA. We started in chronological order and it was still a blast mainly because the right pieces came into play. So in the morning to afternoon, it was generally comprised of Star Wars veterans and no newcomers yet. Given that it was Saturday and we were all drunk the day prior, the prequels were actually a great way to laugh our hangovers off and have breakfast.

When the newcomers arrived, they came in the middle of Ep. III end fight which is surprisingly a nice prologue to the OT apparently. (Would've left it there for them but because they were so curious, I had to show them this pretty well edited 10 minute recap of 1 -3.)

TheXbox

If someone were new to Star Wars I would show them 7 tbh. It's a good sequel to ROTJ, but an even better jumping-on point for newcomers. Everything about it was designed with accessibility in mind. The protagonist herself is an outsider to Star Wars. Old characters are straight up mythological. The movie requires zero background knowledge besides only the vaguest awareness of pop culture in the last forty years. "Oh yeah, Luke Skywalker, I've heard of him. That Darth Vader fella, he's really scary, right?" That's all you need.

If someone were new to Star Wars I would show them 7 tbh. It's a good sequel to ROTJ, but an even better jumping-on point for newcomers. Everything about it was designed with accessibility in mind. The protagonist herself is an outsider to Star Wars. Old characters are straight up mythological. The movie requires zero background knowledge besides only the vaguest awareness of pop culture in the last forty years. "Oh yeah, Luke Skywalker, I've heard of him. That Darth Vader fella, he's really scary, right?" That's all you need.

Exactly. There is nothing in Episode 7 that necessitates anything other than even the most basic of cultural osmosis to "get," and even then, you don't need it. That was essentially the basis of an article I wrote pre-release, mostly in response to every entertainment outlet issuing about a month's worth of "Here's how you watch Star Wars THE RIGHT WAY so you don't get lost during The Force Awakens" which were mostly horseshit.

Anyway, I called it "Star Wars is for Everyone" because it is, and you don't need to be a Star Wars fan at all to watch and enjoy Force Awakens.

Not necessarily an issue of order, but rather endurance, especially with 8 and 9 coming but...

At that point you just break your marathons up into weekends. 3 weekends, three movies per weekend. Done and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom