• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it depends on your setup and how much you like 3D. It's probably worth it to some people as it's pretty subjective. I'm getting it when it comes out but if I had a big nice 3D TV, I'd definitely get the 3D version when it comes out as I thought it was fantastic in cinemas.

I have Viewsonic 3D projector with a 90" screen. I only have the Avengers movies in 3D.

For some reason, I'm always thinking of Skellig as a death trap since they mentioned the whole weather conditions thing.

Yeah, the reports about that place last year always made it seem like the mere act of walking on it was tempting death. Like any stray pebble could cause you to go cartwheeling 900 feet into the ocean, where you'd explode into 40 ribcages like a Mortal Kombat fatality.

rokkerkory

a bit lost, which edition comes with the extra 70min of behind the scenes vid?

I thought target was only 20 min of extras?

-griffy-

Banned
a bit lost, which edition comes with the extra 70min of behind the scenes vid?

I thought target was only 20 min of extras?

They all come with it. The only thing that's different is the cover/case the movie comes in, otherwise the extras are identical. Target's release comes with 20 minutes of exclusive extras in addition to the existing extras.

They all come with it. The only thing that's different is the cover/case the movie comes in, otherwise the extras are identical. Target's release comes with 20 minutes of bullshit EPK fluff not even important enough to press to a disc in addition to the existing extras.

FIXED!

Looks like the steelbook is only available at Zavvi in the UK and everyone's complaining about the cover and the spine and how it doesn't 'fit' with the previous films. And it's £10 more and seems to have no extra stuff. Really bad.
Although I didn't like the film that much I think I'll get the normal £15.99 from Amazon.

mattp

I wish this had a documentary like Dangerous Days.

i wasn't expecting anything that comprehensive, but maybe after they finish the trilogy?

honestly though, the documentary coming with this being over an hour long as a huge surprise, and is great.

I'm a sucker for steelbooks but what an uninspired cover.

There was lots of great imagery in the movie that could have made for some great covers had they not gone for the most boring focus group tested options possible.

We know the lengths of every feature

– Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey (69:14)

– The Story Awakens: The Table Read (4:01)

– Crafting Creatures (9:34)

– Building BB-8 (6:03)

– Blueprint Of A Battle: The Snow Fight (7:02)

– ILM: The Visual Magic Of The Force (7:54)

– John Williams: The Seventh Symphony (6:51)

– Deleted Scenes:
1. Finn And The Villager (0:31)
2. Jakku Message (0:47)
3. X-Wings Prepare For Lightspeed (0:22)
4. Kylo Searches The Falcon (0:50)
5. Snow Speeder Chase (0:48)
6. Finn Will Be Fine (0:23)

– Force For Change (3:22)

So the biggest one is over an hour, all in all about 2 hours total of special features, plus 20 minutes of [probably fluff] from Target. That's pretty nice.

The only thing I'm missing is a commentary track, preferably JJ and Kasdan together. Wouldn't mind throwing John Boyega in with them too to stir it up a little. I love group commentaries where it's a group talking with each other rather than just one dude narrating.

Peru

Would be nice if we got a peak at the Star Wars story group, but for all I know they want to keep the mysterical/secretive aura around their work.

Throw in Kennedy for the (imagined) commentary track, though - I'd love to hear how the relationship with JJ, Kasdan and her (and her group) was in terms of plotting out the film.

Jason at Making Star Wars has done a write-up of the documentary that comes with the Blu-Ray, The Secrets of The Force Awakens. The whole thing was shown at SWSX.

A few interesting tidbits.

Abrams also added some backstory saying that Han couldn’t stay in one place and that Leia couldn’t stop fighting. His nature as a rogue and her nature as a freedom fighter clashed. Against that backdrop, Snoke targeted Kylo because of his powers and potential. The implication was that in the absence of solid parenting, Kylo Ren emerged.

--

Ford also talks about Han’s death saying that he didn’t want Han to die, just that he wanted Han Solo to contribute to the emotional part of the story. He said he had fun working on A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back (he left out Return of the Jedi).

At the end of filming the death scene, Harrison Ford was tearing up and sobbing a little. I think it was as hard for him to say goodbye to Han as it was for us to see it. The other members of the cast were also moved by his performance and cried and hugged him. It was really cool to see this captured on film and makes this documentary work.

--

Mark Hamill. Mark talked a little about working on Skellig Michael. Abrams spent some time talking about Luke, saying that the other movies will focus on what happens to him next. This was the only real forward looking vision provided in the documentary.

At the end of filming the death scene, Harrison Ford was tearing up and sobbing a little. I think it was as hard for him to say goodbye to Han as it was for us to see it. The other members of the cast were also moved by his performance and cried and hugged him. It was really cool to see this captured on film and makes this documentary work.
Yeah, I'm gonna cry again watching that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's cool to see Harrison actually care about something. He likes playing up that cynical and grumpy old man so much that it's sometimes hard to see where fiction ends and the reality begins.

Jackpot

Banned
ARTDEPT_VD_TFA_016.jpg

This makes so much sense.

Would be nice if we got a peak at the Star Wars story group, but for all I know they want to keep the mysterical/secretive aura around their work.

Throw in Kennedy for the (imagined) commentary track, though - I'd love to hear how the relationship with JJ, Kasdan and her (and her group) was in terms of plotting out the film.

Kathleen has had such an amazing career. There should be a movie about her life.

Interesting. Why the not!?
I don't even have a 4K TV. I just get the impression that it would look amazing 4K downsampled to 1080p!

UHD Discs just came out within the last two weeks. The format is just too new for them to bother to such a small install base for such a huge film.

That's all we get for deleted scenes? Ewwww

Guess Disney/Lucasfilm isn't willing to bankroll post production for the rest of the footage like George was, so we're just getting stuff that required little post or that was deleted late in the game. I can't blame them, because it's not like the BluRays will sell less without it, but it does suck not to see more, especially since some of the other cut stuff seems pretty damn interesting. Maybe for a reissue down years down the line.

It's the prettiest of all the Star Wars films.

We'll see what Edwards does with Rogue One (his films always LOOK good, at least).

I haven't been super impressed with Edwards yet (both visually and content-wise) but this could be the game changer. I'm kind of worried about the spinoffs feeling like fan fiction but I guess it's all fan fiction.

I haven't been super impressed with Edwards yet (both visually and content-wise) but this could be the game changer. I'm kind of worried about the spinoffs feeling like fan fiction but I guess it's all fan fiction.

The new films will be as much fan fiction as the prequels.

chaislip3

Yeah that shot, the Tie Fighter sunset shot, the Star Destroyer wreckage, and the Bridge scene (among many others) all looked fantastic. The cinematography was incredible. I'm definitely interested to see what Rian Johnson and Steve Yedlin bring to Episode VIII.

Every movie made after Lucas sold out, even the main episodes, are basically fan fiction.

The new films will be as much fan fiction as the prequels.

Yeah I mean like I said it's all technically fan fiction. But sometimes things can feel more fan fictiony than usual. I know TFA gets lashed at a bit for its callbacks/fan service but I thought it felt like a legitimate thing that successfully keeps the story going. Doing a movie set during the OT and probably with Vader in it and all the OT shit it could easily feel like fanfic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom