• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1608

Banned
I really can't wait for TFA Blu-ray. Watched it twice in theaters, and it was awesome...next month is gonna be fun as hell. Siblings haven't watched the film, so I can't wait to see their reactions. I love the entire series, even the PT which is more of a hate-love relationship but would certainly watch them over far worse movies (damning with faint praise amirite). I do really like ROTS though!
I had no idea there were people in this forum that would dislike Maz. She is one of the coolest new characters.

It's one of those intriguing, fantasy like characters you'd expect Star Wars to have but haven't been focused on in decades.

Lupita is a goddess full-stop. The character and performance was very fun and I'm interested in learning more.

I loved her. Especially the voice
Wow, I thought I was the only one! Add me to the Maz fan club!:p

With my eldest son about to go to college for Theater Production, the Target version sounds like it has some features that he'll really enjoy.

Not

Banned
– Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey (69:14)

Oh man, this made me want this so bad. For some reason, this did it. Wish it didn't come out right after my birthday. Also, I wish I had a blu-ray player. But if I'm getting a PS4 someday, I don't want two... arghhhhhhhhhh

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Wow 70 min documentary? Nice.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like this has become rare on home releases now. I would highly recommend the extra features that come with the Prometheus Blu ray to those that like the film.

Rootbeer

Banned
So is Target not going to offer an in store pre-order for the Target Edition?

website only lets you order it shipped, with no release date delivery. Been like that since it went up.

I mean, I can get to Target that morning, but not at opening. And I really don't want even a small risk that it will be sold out. Would be nice if I could pre-order.

TruHero

Banned
So is Target not going to offer an in store pre-order for the Target Edition?

website only lets you order it shipped, with no release date delivery. Been like that since it went up.

I mean, I can get to Target that morning, but not at opening. And I really don't want even a small risk that it will be sold out. Would be nice if I could pre-order.

It's not going to sell out at Target. It won't.

I plan on picking my copy up on the way home & after the gym at around 6:30pm

Rootbeer

Banned
It's not going to sell out at Target. It won't.

I plan on picking my copy up on the way home & after the gym at around 6:30pm

There are people earlier in this thread claiming that target editions consistently sell out the first day. So I don' t know what to think!

Megasoum

Banned
Wait so that 70min documentary is only on the Target version?

Any info if this will be even available anywhere in Canada since we don't have Targets?

Edit: OK so it's only extra 20min... Point still stands about Canada though.

Oh man, this made me want this so bad. For some reason, this did it. Wish it didn't come out right after my birthday. Also, I wish I had a blu-ray player. But if I'm getting a PS4 someday, I don't want two... arghhhhhhhhhh
Get a dedicated player. Ps4 is the backup player.

Matticers

Wait, wtf? 3D version isn't available at launch?? Why??

$$$

They know people will buy one of these standard versions or the digital and buy the 3D version later. If they toss new extras onto the 3D package, they might get even more people to buy it on top of that. That's a lot harder to pull off with new or smaller franchises but the cash rolls in with every new Star Wars re-release.

RPGCrazied

After my initial viewing, I thought it was the 3rd best SW film behind Empire and ANH. Upon repeat viewings it's about tied with Empire as my favorite. TFA has issues that are unique to it among the SW films, but also a great many strengths in some surprising areas. Above all I think it's the most nuanced visual story telling in the series to date.

I saw it a ridiculous number of times and I'm looking forward to the home release enormously.

Yup, totally agree. At the least, I'd like it to be done after the other two episodes are out, both for the distance from TFA and the perspective on how it all ultimately came together.

ESB: 10/10
Star Wars: 10/10
Jedi: 9/10

TFA: 9/10

Prequels: 1/10

I think the fact that way more people seem upset about the lack of a 3D release than there are people who care about the lack of a commentary track explains why they didn't even bother with it. Me and maybe two other people actually give a shit about commentary tracks.7/10. I love it bunches and bunches, minus a few stupid problems here and there. You'll like it.

Wow, that good? Glad its not a prequel like flop. Can't wait to see it now.

SegaShack

I had no idea there were people in this forum that would dislike Maz. She is one of the coolest new characters.

It's one of those intriguing, fantasy like characters you'd expect Star Wars to have but haven't been focused on in decades.
She is probably my only major issue with the film. Her scenes are just pure exposition for the film's background. It's bad story telling in my opinion when you have a character explicitly tell you everything that is already implied.

Why does Maz have to tell Rey the lightsaber is calling to her when it is glaringly obvious from before? Why does she have to tell Finn that a lightsaber is a weapon when he has already seen one being used before? Why does she have to explain what the force is when Han already did so 5 minutes earlier in the film?

Furthermore, it ruins the pacing to the movie, she is a character that is given all this time and dialogue, yet is nonessential to the plot in any way.

I just don't understand why she is a part of the movie to be honest. Also, don't get me started on how much the CG stands out for her character when even the random background characters of the scene are full practical creatures.

Phased

Are we sure there's no commentary? Maybe it's just not listed.

Commentary is one of the major reasons I buy Bluray. If the documentary and other stuff isn't bad it may be worth it still, and the movie definitely is worth owning, but no commentary is a huge bummer.

Surfinn

Holy shit, Hamill just speaking "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..." got me super hyped. I'm pumped for all these new featurettes and deleted scenes, probably more than I am for watching the movie again.

Yup, this is super exciting. Mark has a great voice. :)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
There must exist footage of the entire table read, i hope one day it makes its way online

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it's super lame. I'm still debating on whether to wait or just forgo it. Leaning toward just getting this release at the moment.

Holy shit, Hamill just speaking "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..." got me super hyped. I'm pumped for all these new featurettes and deleted scenes, probably more than I am for watching the movie again.

td_jakes_dancingo2qdu.gif

How is it possible to get re-hyped!? I just did.

obin_gam

No, it's just a few highlights and interviews with the cast/crew's take on it.

Super-missed opportunity to not have the entire read available :(

Yeah, it's super lame. I'm still debating on whether to wait or just forgo it. Leaning toward just getting this release at the moment.

There is one (1) scene in the entire movie that benefits from the 3D... and it's a static shot of the star destroyer.

Just get the regular version.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
No Maz scene is just, meh, only reason I can see they cut it is because they are unsure how fans would react to it and want some flexibility with the character going forward.

Still, the scenes done, put it in.

Erevador

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like this has become rare on home releases now. I would highly recommend the extra features that come with the Prometheus Blu ray to those that like the film.
Prometheus Blu Ray was magnificent, one of the best releases in years. Near the gold standard set by the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition releases.

Super-missed opportunity to not have the entire read available :(

There is one (1) scene in the entire movie that benefits from the 3D... and it's a static shot of the star destroyer.

Just get the regular version.

There is more than one dude. There's two. Let's be truthful. lol

Is it done, though? Considering how late they got the design finalized, it's possible they were cutting Maz scenes long before they were actually finished in order to save time and devote energy towards things they absolutely knew were going to make it in.

I get the sense this documentary might shine a light on just how hot this movie came in.

edit: regarding the Prometheus blu-ray set, those extra features are invaluable for people who didn't like the film, too. De Lauzirika's documentary is just as good as Phantom Menace's "The Beginning" (better, honestly) at showing you why a film went off the rails without having to actually comment on it.

Is it done, though? Considering how late they got the design finalized, it's possible they were cutting Maz scenes long before they were actually finished in order to save time and devote energy towards things they absolutely knew were going to make it in.

I get the sense this documentary might shine a light on just how hot this movie came in.

edit: regarding the Prometheus blu-ray set, those extra features are invaluable for people who didn't like the film, too. De Lauzirika's documentary is just as good as Phantom Menace's "The Beginning" (better, honestly) at showing you why a film went off the rails without having to actually comment on it.

It appears that Episode VIII will be just as hot except for the script. It looks like Rian had over a year. What do you think?

I dunno. Johnson's pretty efficient as a filmmaker. Then again, he's never done anything like this before, either. I think so long as he's got his script in place, and he knows what he wants visually, it should be a little easier go around.

So long as like, major stars don't have huge pieces of the set fuck their lower body up.

-griffy-

Banned
It appears that Episode VIII will be just as hot except for the script. It looks like Rian had over a year. What do you think?

Force Awakens came in so hot largely because the script situation. They were writing and re-writing while shooting. VIII had a more or less complete script well before shooting began, it sounds like, though they did do another draft recently after the release delay, but still before shooting began.

It's kind of hard to say specifically what "coming in hot" really means with a movie like this, though. Even if they have a fully complete script and shoot exactly that, and all else goes according to schedule, they're still gonna be editing and iterating VFX and tweaking until the last possible second before they need to deliver a finished film.

In any case, Rian Johnson has had a lot more time for pre-production on his film than the quick turn around J.J. had jumping off Star Trek Into Darkness into Force Awakens.

Oli

This has probably already been asked, but has it been determined if the iTunes version comes with the bonus features including the documentary?

-griffy-

Banned
This has probably already been asked, but has it been determined if the iTunes version comes with the bonus features including the documentary?

The iTunes listing was updated recently to add that it will indeed have iTunes Extras, and it looks like it will have most all of the extras from the physical release:
EyynHHgh.png

One of the laziest lines of dialogue committed to film.

"We could explain what's going on, but mehhhhh."

Somebody recovered Luke's lightsaber. Maz managed to get her hands on it.

They could have done a five minute scene explaining how it was passed from owner to owner like the Falcon, but hey, that may have bored a few people.

I'd say it depends on your setup and how much you like 3D. It's probably worth it to some people as it's pretty subjective. I'm getting it when it comes out but if I had a big nice 3D TV, I'd definitely get the 3D version when it comes out as I thought it was fantastic in cinemas.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I dunno. Johnson's pretty efficient as a filmmaker. Then again, he's never done anything like this before, either. I think so long as he's got his script in place, and he knows what he wants visually, it should be a little easier go around.

So long as like, major stars don't have huge pieces of the set fuck their lower body up.

For some reason, I'm always thinking of Skellig as a death trap since they mentioned the whole weather conditions thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom