• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Yoshichan said:
FUCK THIS, what the fuck is this piece of shit?

ZvZ, right? Okay, so the dude builds one probe and spawning pool right after that. He sends that probe to scout and immediately when he finds me (and his spawning pool is done), he builds A FUCKING SPINE CRAWLER IN MY BASE? And it's placed JUST NEXT to my spawning pool so I can only attack it with 2/3 of my drones and I'll NEVER kill it in time before it's complete and starts hammering me. ALSO! As if that's not enough, he sends 6 zerglings just 2 seconds after that spinecrawlers done.

What the?????????
V3yVD.gif

Yoshichan said:

ZvZ, right? Okay, so the dude builds one probe and spawning pool right after that. He sends that probe to scout and immediately when he finds me (and his spawning pool is done), he builds A FUCKING SPINE CRAWLER IN MY BASE? And it's placed JUST NEXT to my spawning pool so I can only attack it with 2/3 of my drones and I'll NEVER kill it in time before it's complete and starts hammering me. ALSO! As if that's not enough, he sends 6 zerglings just 2 seconds after that spinecrawlers done.

What the?????????

Clever. :lol

Haunted

Yoshichan said:

What the?????????
Must've been one talented dude.

vicissitudes said:
I'm fine with Husky's casting except at the beginning where he always goes "this is H-to-the-usky Husky!" and at the end where he goes "and I will see youuuuuu neeeeeeext time!" Can't stand it.
smh

That's the best part of his casts!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I told him "Lame..."

and he responded "Not lame, requires lots of micro".

What...?!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yoshichan said:

What the?????????
i see that build has filtered down. :p

I've had that spine crawler in my base shit done in about half of my ZvZ games. It's so bad that we often joke about doing it and then just do it, and then crack jokes about how our day is or something like that, like it's a routine.

I can't believe this is the first time you've seen it. What did you think all the complaints about the zerg mirror were about?

vicissitudes said:
I'm fine with Husky's casting except at the beginning where he always goes "this is H-to-the-usky Husky!" and at the end where he goes "and I will see youuuuuu neeeeeeext time!" Can't stand it.
I'll back you up on this. That shit drives me up the fucking wall. It's done in such a nasally voice too.

Psy's "inject bitch, inject" rattles my bones too. It just seems like such a gross, hateful thing to say from a guy that's normally very chill and natural. I don't know who's making him think that's charming or funny.

eosos

Banned
There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread XD

Anyways would anyone be interested in a SC2 mapmaking thread? I personally love making custom maps and I see that some of the guys here like making custom and melee maps. So let me know if you want one cause I already made a banner!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
eosos said:
There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread XD

Anyways would anyone be interested in a SC2 mapmaking thread? I personally love making custom maps and I see that some of the guys here like making custom and melee maps. So let me know if you want one cause I already made a banner!
i mentioned it briefly in the old thread, but figured there wasn't much point since there only seems to be 2-3 people actively modding SC2.

but maybe a thread dedicated to modding will inspire more people to try their hand at it and bring more people out of the wood work.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I've had that spine crawler in my base shit done in about half of my ZvZ games. It's so bad that we often joke about doing it and then just do it, and then crack jokes about how our day is or something like that, like it's a routine.

I can't believe this is the first time you've seen it. What did you think all the complaints about the zerg mirror were about?
maybe one of the 7 other builds that hardcounter a hatch before 60. >_>

cdyhybrid

There's no way to switch my SC2 profile onto another account is there? My WoW account got hacked long after I had quit, and I tried to use it when I registered SC2, but it was taking too long to get done so I just made a dummy account and started playing with that. Now with Cataclysm coming back, I might want to try WoW again and would like to put everything on one account.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I'll back you up on this. That shit drives me up the fucking wall. It's done in such a nasally voice too.

Psy's "inject bitch, inject" rattles my bones too. It just seems like such a gross, hateful thing to say from a guy that's normally very chill and natural. I don't know who's making him think that's charming or funny.
he probably doesn't do it to be funny, i have heard that its compulsive and he's enrolled in a disabilities school because of it[or the cause of it], dunno if its true but according to psy his roommate is deaf and if i had to match a compulsive swearer with a roommate i'd pick a deaf guy.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Pandaman said:
he probably doesn't do it to be funny, i have heard that its compulsive and he's enrolled in a disabilities school because of it[or the cause of it], dunno if its true but according to psy his roommate is deaf and if i had to match a compulsive swearer with a roommate i'd pick a deaf guy.
tourettes syndrome?

Draft

What is the proper response to spine crawler in your base? I mean, fairly cheesy strat, has to have a good hard counter.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Draft said:
What is the proper response to spine crawler in your base? I mean, fairly cheesy strat, has to have a good hard counter.
1) Don't freak out.
2) Attack it with some drones
3) Start building your zerglings and rally them at the crawler

Congratulations, you have defeated a spine crawler.

Yoshichan

Draft said:
I COULD just attack it with my drones and kill it (tried it out) but if he plants it right next to my own spawning pool, I can only attack it with 2 drones making it impossible for me to kill it before it pops up. Ridiculous.

Yoshichan

Dance In My Blood said:
1) Don't freak out.
2) Attack it with some drones
3) Start building your zerglings and rally them at the crawler

Congratulations, you have defeated a spine crawler.
You don't have time to build zerglings with this strategy. All your drones will most likely be dead by then unless you went for a super early spawning pool.
ALSO! As if that's not enough, he sends 6 zerglings just 2 seconds after that spinecrawlers done.

Mystery

Draft said:

When the spine crawler starts, start your own spine crawler next to it within range. Attack his building spine crawler with your 2 drones. When both complete, his will be weaker and die.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yoshichan said:
You don't have time to build zerglings with this strategy. All your drones will most likely be dead by then unless you went for a super early spawning pool.
So...attack them with your drones too?

Yoshichan

Dance In My Blood said:
So...attack them with your drones too?
Attack the spine crawler or zerglings that are coming at you at a constant pace? A perfectly placed spine crawler would be next to the extractor or spawning pool which makes it impossible for the drones to kill the spine. Now if they managed to finally kill it, there's no chance he'll keep up economy wise with the other player. The other player should be engaging combat with 6 zerglings only seconds after that spine is finished.

IceMarker

Scrow, I would not mind a map making thread, but I feel other mappers and I would get even less attention than we already do now. :lol

Anyways, in about an hour Pyke Presco and I will be online with 2.0 Beta, we're going to be doing a couple runs and anyone is welcome to join. Literally, need at least 6 people.

Mystery said:
When the spine crawler starts, start your own spine crawler next to it within range. Attack his building spine crawler with your 2 drones. When both complete, his will be weaker and die.

Fairly Simple :/

Yeah, I'll jump on after Day9. It's kind of sad that this has become my nightly routine from 10-11, but I don't care! I need my starcraft strategy! It's even worse when GSL is live, because there goes 5-7/8 every morning as well. God this game is ruining me.

*high-five*

Yoshichan said:
I COULD just attack it with my drones and kill it (tried it out) but if he plants it right next to my own spawning pool, I can only attack it with 2 drones making it impossible for me to kill it before it pops up. Ridiculous.

I have no idea how your pool is placed such that a spine crawler next to it can only be accessed by 2 drones. I mean honestly if you spot it as it goes down just take 3-5 drones they'll take it out easily.

Mystery said:

They usually 6-pool or maybe 7,8 pool as they do this rush and if you're doing the standard 14-pool your spawning pool won't be done by the time they lay down the spine.

eosos

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Attack the spine crawler or zerglings that are coming at you at a constant pace? A perfectly placed spine crawler would be next to the extractor or spawning pool which makes it impossible for the drones to kill the spine. Now if they managed to finally kill it, there's no chance he'll keep up economy wise with the other player. The other player should be engaging combat with 6 zerglings only seconds after that spine is finished.
Spread out your shit. Also post a replay.

Yoshichan

True. Only solution is to not put my spawning pool where I've put it for the past 6 months :/ So frustrating.

Niblet

ugh hit submit early hold on let me edit the actual post in. . .

----
I think I want to start playing ladder Sc2. I've very little RTS experience, but I've been watching husky, HD and day9tv since beta and know the game that way. This doesnt translate into execution yet, but I know its gonna be a while until things are smooth. I have 2 questions:

1) Should I intentionally drop my placement matches when I get around to doing them? I'm going to be doing 1v1 against CPU until I get a handle on macro. I read horror stories about dudes winning a few placements against really bad opponents and getting mismatched for their skill. I want to start at the bottom of the ladder and work my way up. Is this a good idea?

2) I played a few customs during the beta to try out the game and although I didn't know what to do, I made an effort to memorize key shortcuts. The key shortcuts make alot of sense in their positioning, but between that time and now I switched to Dvorak keyboard and the standard keys are more spread out now and not as natural IMO. Anyone have any experience with grid style controls? Any deficiencies I should know about?

Thanks.

eosos

Banned
Yeah just attack with drones and don't put the spawning pool there. Also don't get an extractor first. Yeah you could have attacked with at least 3 drones.

Yoshichan

eosos said:
Yeah just attack with drones and don't put the spawning pool there. Also don't get an extractor first. Yeah you could have attacked with at least 3 drones.
Obviously we know what to do now. But back there, first time seeing this tactic and all? Not putting my spawning pool there after doing it for months upon months? :lol No, that game was a clear loss no matter what I had done after that pool placement.

Also, early extractor because I wanted to go for early Lair. Nothing I do every game.

Zzoram said:
If you don't know his ID, how do you know he's Diamond 1100? Also, 1100 isn't that good. It equates to maybe a C player in the Broodwar iccup ranking. It's respectible but not impressive. There are 11,000 on the US server alone over Diamond 1000.

He mentioned in a recent video he was 1100 diamond. Dunno why you're so adamant on him being a shitty player without giving examples of his shitty-ness. Being a bad caster doesn't make him a bad player. Husky isn't a great player but is a good caster.

eosos

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Obviously we know what to do now. But back there, first time seeing this tactic and all? Not putting my spawning pool there after doing it for months upon months? :lol No, that game was a clear loss no matter what I had done after that pool placement.

Also, early extractor because I wanted to go for early Lair. Nothing I do every game.
So after seeing someone put the spine crawler in your base your first reaction was to give up? Odd

Yoshichan

eosos said:
So after seeing someone put the spine crawler in your base your first reaction was to give up? Odd
:lol Nah, that was just me and my friend trying it out. Not the actual game.

edit: Oh and 6 zerglings were coming to my base at that point. It's like a better kind of 6 pool that only works on ZvZ. My drones had no chance, even if I had that crawler down.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mystery said:
unless he focuses his spine on your building spine and kills it before it's finished building or weakens it enough to finish it off after it has finished building

LakeEarth

Ahh silver ... I just had a 1 hour+ game against a protoss player on Desert Oasis. He took up both islands, and surrounded them with cannons, while destroying my economy when I wasn't paying attention with DTs. At one island base, he had built 41 cannons. FOURTY ONE! There wasn't even space to build another. It took a while cause I kept having to pull back to rebuild my interceptors, and I had to destroy every single building cause he's either an ass or doesn't know how to surrender. I'm seriously not sure.

Niblet said:
ugh hit submit early hold on let me edit the actual post in. . .

----
I think I want to start playing ladder Sc2. I've very little RTS experience, but I've been watching husky, HD and day9tv since beta and know the game that way. This doesnt translate into execution yet, but I know its gonna be a while until things are smooth. I have 2 questions:

1) Should I intentionally drop my placement matches when I get around to doing them? I'm going to be doing 1v1 against CPU until I get a handle on macro. I read horror stories about dudes winning a few placements against really bad opponents and getting mismatched for their skill. I want to start at the bottom of the ladder and work my way up. Is this a good idea?

2) I played a few customs during the beta to try out the game and although I didn't know what to do, I made an effort to memorize key shortcuts. The key shortcuts make alot of sense in their positioning, but between that time and now I switched to Dvorak keyboard and the standard keys are more spread out now and not as natural IMO. Anyone have any experience with grid style controls? Any deficiencies I should know about?

Thanks.

Don't worry about your placement matches. I played maybe 10-15 team game comp-stomps with my buddies (to be fair I was awful, and those didnt really help me much except figuring out what buildings made what units) and then hopped into 1v1 ladder. Won a couple of my placement matches and it ranked me in gold. I lost some, won some and now I'm at something like 75 wins and 60 losses, which basically tells me I am exactly where I should be. The matchmaking works. If you lose 10 games in a row at the start, it'll match you up against worse players until you're winning 50% of the time. You want to play people at your skill level because it will make you better. You don't want to sac your placement matches, get placed in bronze and then stomp players for 40 games and then it ranks you up to silver, when you should have just been silver in the first place, because you wont be learning anything except "Man, these guys are terrible and I'm so much better than them".

eosos

Banned
Scrow said:
unless he focuses his spine on your building spine and kills it before it's finished building or weakens it enough to finish it off after it has finished building
The theory is that your drones will have already weakened it so that even though it has a little head start you spine crawler will be less weakened then it. You build your own spine crawler immediately after you see it being built.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Yoshichan said:

In zvz you need to play to expect things like that. My most recent zvz my opponent 6 pooled and sent the first lings with a drone to build a crawler. I responded by pulling half of my drones, sending 3 to attack the crawler and distracting the lings with the rest while zerglings/queen was spawning. Took out the crawler and the lings and mopped up his scouting overlord, and then he left instantly.

The reason I won so easily is that I overpooled, meaning doing the extractor trick to get 11/10 and then building the spawning pool. This build was fast enough to beat 6 pool on close position on that 4 spawn map that looks like xel'naga caverns, forget the name, but still provides enough economy to have a strong advantage over a <10 pool opponent. Yes, 14 gas 13 pool or w/e variants that give you the instant zergling speed or super fast lair are appealing, but zvz is too rush-heavy of a match up to do something like that and win >50% of the time, if that. Play the matchup, it's different than playing P or T. As lame as it is, you have to.

Yoshichan

Good tips Procarbine, thanks! :D

Sloegr

Niblet said:

1. I don't think you should drop your games unless you're determined to start from the beginning no matter what. You'd be surprised how many people on the ladder will have less knowledge and skill than you do. If you end up in a league higher than you deserve, you'll take your lumps and end up where you belong. No harm done unless your ego is very fragile :D

2. I only tried grid keys for a while and wasn't a big fan. Perhaps if I had tried from the 'beginning' I would have enjoyed them. The biggest annoyance for me was that the attack hotkey was moved. Give it a shot for a few practice games and see how it works for you. Perhaps it will suit you perfectly.

IceMarker

Shadow Assault 2.0 beta test run going on right now.

EDIT: Seems we will start with 6, due to lack of GAFers online in NA

Zzoram

Apparently after WCG before their flight back to South Korea, the SK team went to a pool to hang out. Kal fell into the deep end of a pool, didn't know how to swim, and started drowning. An American referee present at the time dived in to try to save him, but wasn't a strong enough swimmer and was struggling to not drown himself trying to help Kal so he backed off. Jaedong apparently didn't know how to swim either. Flash ended up saving Kal because he was a strong enough swimmer.

Flash = Greatest Starcraft player of all time + real life hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom