• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

Kodiak said:
MrMister. I'm having internet problems at home so I haven't been able to try your map yet. Still just reading about your stuff inspired me to dive in and start learning the editor myself. :D

I've started building what I hope is the first in a series of story based missions focusing about a pair of characters: Fisk and Korban

Fisk is a sentient alien-dog with powerful psychic abilities, and Korban is a genetically modified super-badass assassin and the pair have been best friends ever since Korban saved Fisk's life back in the day. You have to use the pair's abilities in tandem with each other in order to overcome the wide variety of obstacles and enemies that await you.

The maps are gonna be designed so that they are fun to play single player or with two people and I'll post some screenshots later.

Any ideas on how you guys would like to see story presented without the luxury of recorded dialog?
I'm glad to see you've taken up the editor! I'm glad no one has figured out Shadow Assault is a story-based mission! :lol Your idea sounds very interesting, I look forward to the screenies.
Well, for me, I use a combination of tips and game play to present my story. I'm trying to use transmissions now, if only the damn Data Editor would stop whining over custom sound files, so for now I'm sticking to the stock sounds.

Anyways, I have a bit of an announcement to make, Shadow Assault 2.0 is nearing completion and I need beta testers. First 7 people interested who find me online in SCII get the job, you will be included in the credits as well. (I will be online at random hours today.)

Raelson

Zzoram said:
HD just yells really loud exactly what is happening and is visible to my eyes already.

Day9 analyzes the reasoning behind what is happening that I may not understand, he points out things about timing and smoothness and transitioning that I would otherwise not notice.

You watch Day9 to learn. You watch HD if you have bad eyes. You watch GSL with Tasteless if you want entertainment.
HD is so horrible, he doesn't really know much at all about SC2. I have no idea why he is popular...

Zzoram

Raelson said:
HD is so horrible, he doesn't really know much at all about SC2. I have no idea why he is popular...

He's popular because he was one of the first, if not the first, to have HD quality VODs. He's actually a terrible player with no real knowledge of the game though. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a Silver level player.

Zzoram said:
He's popular because he was one of the first, if not the first, to have HD quality VODs. He's actually a terrible player with no real knowledge of the game though. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a Silver level player.

wtf? He's 1100+ diamond :lol

He's a very good player.

Zzoram said:
What's his Battle.net ID? If he's good then why does he sound like he doesn't know a thing in VODs?

Dunno his ID, doubt he'd give it out. But the guy is a good player with nice insight into the game. I grow tired of him constantly saying obvious stuff, but overall his stuff is good - especially ZvT casts

Yaweee

Zzoram said:
What's his Battle.net ID? If he's good then why does he sound like he doesn't know a thing in VODs?

Because it can be really damn hard to watch a replay for the first time and discuss everything in real-time while giving detailed and accurate descriptions of what is happening, plus giving guesses of what the different players might be going for?

I'm normally not one to say this, but you should try commentating the videos. I agree that HD isn't as good at analysis as a lot of other video makers, but he is still pretty damn good all things considered.

Pandaman said:
thats like taking sc advice from me, a terrible idea.

He's not giving out advice, he's casting a game.

I think(?) I watched a cast by Day9 once where he kept pausing the game and analyzing every little move. I don't want that crap, it's annoying as hell. Just let me watch the game and throw in some entertaining commentary, it's not that hard.

Zzoram

PhoenixDark said:
Dunno his ID, doubt he'd give it out. But the guy is a good player with nice insight into the game. I grow tired of him constantly saying obvious stuff, but overall his stuff is good - especially ZvT casts

If you don't know his ID, how do you know he's Diamond 1100? Also, 1100 isn't that good. It equates to maybe a C player in the Broodwar iccup ranking. It's respectible but not impressive. There are 11,000 on the US server alone over Diamond 1000.

Yeah, it's actually tough to figure out everything going on in a video. I've tried watching replays and staying on top of what my opponent is doing as well as what I'm doing at any time, knowing for sure there's a spire coming and still missing it when I'm looking for it because there's a battle going on and I'm trying to watch what I did wrong there too. If you go into these things blind and have to comment on everything in real time, it's pretty damn tough. Look at Tasteless and Artosis, two players both with their own screens, both high level players and they still miss stuff in the game. Day9 catches eveything because he slows it down and analyzes, but all the other casters have to do the best they can in real time while they watch these videos for the first time. HD does a great job for a solo caster in my opinion.

Zzoram said:
If you don't know his ID, how do you know he's Diamond 1100? Also, 1100 isn't that good. It equates to maybe a C player in the Broodwar iccup ranking.

I think he's mentioned it in a few of his casts. There's a 4v4 game he casted where he was playing with diamond/pro players.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Zzoram said:

Many of his early videos were first-person. So you can see for yourself what level of play he's at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoQ1lsb8Dbs

If he was a Gaffer, he'd probably easily hang with our best players like alumnus or valenti. But there is a huge skill difference between himself and the players he commentates on.

Zzoram

ZealousD said:
Many of his early videos were first-person. So you can see for yourself what level of play he's at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoQ1lsb8Dbs

If he was a Gaffer, he'd probably easily hang with our best players like alumnus or valenti. But there is a huge skill difference between himself and the players he commentates on.

HDstarcraft doesn't exist as an ID anymore. I wonder what he changed it to.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zzoram said:
If you don't know his ID, how do you know he's Diamond 1100? Also, 1100 isn't that good. It equates to maybe a C player in the Broodwar iccup ranking. It's respectible but not impressive. There are 11,000 on the US server alone over Diamond 1000.
lolno.

i dislike it when people are all like 'diamonds lol, they'd be scrubs on iccup'. for starts because iccup is for a completely different game.

It's rare that someone good at a thing can explain why or teach others how. Thats what makes Day9 a little more valuable than most others in the casting field.

That said I like HD's casts, he's excitable and keeps me interested. Obviously Day9 is preferable, especially when he gets sarcastic during lower level casts ("It turns out the proper counter to a base in your base is to attack at any point...").

Zzoram

Pandaman said:
lolno.

i dislike it when people are all like 'diamonds lol, they'd be scrubs on iccup'. for starts because iccup is for a completely different game.

I guess, I'm just saying there is a huge disparity in skill within Diamond.

V_Arnold

Pandaman said:
lolno.

Everyone is a scrub if it is not SC:BW! When will you learn that?

I don't really like HD that much. He's mediocre in pretty much every aspect. At least Husky makes up for his lack of knowledge by being funny and enthusiastic. He even acknowledges that he's an idiot.

That said, Day9 is definitely the best. Hilarious AND knowledgeable. I think my current least favorite is Tasteless.

Zzoram

V_Arnold said:

That's not what I meant. I just mean that Diamond is a poor indicator of skill, since there are so many levels within Diamond. Iccup's system was more informative because there were more ranks so there was less skill disparity within the ranks. Iccup had 12 ranks, Battle.net has 5 ranks. I understand why they did 5 ranks, they wanted more people to feel good about their rank and for there to be a bigger matchmaking pool of players at the top, but it still results in the meaning of Diamond being devalued.

Personally I think they should've kept Copper, with an extra tier to spread across the low end Diamond players wouldn't be so bad.

ZealousD

Zzoram said:
HDstarcraft doesn't exist as an ID anymore. I wonder what he changed it to.

I think he changed it to HDgamer. HDstarcraft was his beta ID.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
V_Arnold said:
well thats self evidently true, but the skills relevant to climbing the ladder are not transferable. its tough to see as gaffers since most of us were around for beta and playing as the metagame developed.

Zzoram

Pandaman said:
the worst diamond is still relatively higher than a C in iccup though.

Unlikely. My D+/C- friend is Diamond 700 right now but he hasn't played for weeks or he'd probably be a bit higher (there is also some inflation so points keep devaluing).

I was a D iccup player and I'm Diamond 350 but I have half as many games as my friend and only got promoted about 10 games ago so I'm still not sure where I'll settle.

Zzoram

Considering that most of the SC2 top players were excellent Broodwar players, skills definitely appear to be transferable.

ZealousD

Zzoram said:
That's not what I meant. I just mean that Diamond is a poor indicator of skill, since there are so many levels within Diamond. Iccup's system was more informative because there were more ranks so there was less skill disparity within the ranks. Iccup had 12 ranks, Battle.net has 5 ranks. I understand why they did 5 ranks, they wanted more people to feel good about their rank and for there to be a bigger matchmaking pool of players at the top, but it still results in the meaning of Diamond being devalued.

Personally I think they should've kept Copper, with an extra tier to spread across the low end Diamond players wouldn't be so bad.

If you want the rankings to be that precise, why not just used the numbered ranking? 1500 Diamond vs 1000 Diamond is plenty informative.

Zzoram

ZealousD said:
If you want the rankings to be that precise, why not just used the numbered ranking? 1500 Diamond vs 1000 Diamond is plenty informative.

That is what I like to use, because it's the most accurate system we have. I'm just saying it would be nice to have a more stable system, there seems to be point inflation due to the bonus pool though, so what's considered good will slowly rise over time.

Volodja

vicissitudes said:
He's not giving out advice, he's casting a game.

I think(?) I watched a cast by Day9 once where he kept pausing the game and analyzing every little move. I don't want that crap, it's annoying as hell. Just let me watch the game and throw in some entertaining commentary, it's not that hard.
It is also not that hard to understand the difference between a commentary and a game analysis for people that actually are interested in the strategy of the game.
The dailies are analysis, they are not so much about the matches but about the points he wants to illustrate using them. He will speed 'em up, quit the replay halfway through and pause everytime it is needed. When he does normal casts he doesn't do any of that.

Zzoram

Also, it's pretty retarded that Blizzcon qualifiers are decided purely on ladder rank. The GSL Open 1 winner didn't get to play qualifiers because like all the best players, he spends most of his practice time playing with his teammates and not on the ladder.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why do they let people who aren't NFL players comment on professional football? They clearly aren't as skilled.

Zzoram

Dance In My Blood said:
Why do they let people who aren't NFL players comment on professional football? They clearly aren't as skilled.

Don't retired players regularly get jobs commentating?

Zzoram said:
Don't retired players regularly get jobs commentating?
sometimes, but definitely not exclusively. And most of the worst ones are ex players. Athletic skills don't equal entertainment skills automatically. Same thing applies to video games.

watervengeance said:
I don't really like HD that much. He's mediocre in pretty much every aspect. At least Husky makes up for his lack of knowledge by being funny and enthusiastic. He even acknowledges that he's an idiot.

That said, Day9 is definitely the best. Hilarious AND knowledgeable. I think my current least favorite is Tasteless.

I'm fine with Husky's casting except at the beginning where he always goes "this is H-to-the-usky Husky!" and at the end where he goes "and I will see youuuuuu neeeeeeext time!" Can't stand it.

Volodja said:
It is also not that hard to understand the difference between a commentary and a game analysis for people that actually are interested in the strategy of the game.
The dailies are analysis, they are not so much about the matches but about the points he wants to illustrate using them. He will speed 'em up, quit the replay halfway through and pause everytime it is needed. When he does normal casts he doesn't do any of that.

I saw this one Youtube video that was [starcraft xxx vs. yyy] and he kept pausing the video and commentating on little things, drove me crazy. I don't think it was a daily. Possibly I got something mixed up. In any case I can't stand Day9. Gimme Tasteless or HD any day. Day9 may be good at analysis and teaching noobs but I don't really care about that.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zzoram said:
Unlikely. My D+/C- friend is Diamond 700 right now but he hasn't played for weeks or he'd probably be a bit higher (there is also some inflation so points keep devaluing).

I was a D iccup player and I'm Diamond 350 but I have half as many games as my friend and only got promoted about 10 games ago so I'm still not sure where I'll settle.
this where that first part comes in: they aren't the same game.

im 1k+ because i was a pro top 100 sakura player in ssf4.
yea...

IceMarker

C'mon guys I need you online, there's 2 people online for me right now, Mcrae who is obviously set to away again and Chickenstrip (Yawee) who I don't feel would be right for Beta testing 2.0 means 0 beta testers...

I definitely need MisterAnderson (Flux), Pandaman, and Pyke to join me, they are fun to play with and let me know where the exploits are. :lol

Volodja

vicissitudes said:
I saw this one Youtube video that was [starcraft xxx vs. yyy] and he kept pausing the video and commentating on little things, drove me crazy. I don't think it was a daily. Possibly I got something mixed up. In any case I can't stand Day9. Gimme Tasteless or HD any day. Day9 may be good at analysis and teaching noobs but I don't really care about that.
On his channels there are either dailies or just a few casted matches from the king of the beta tournament or some showmatches that have no pausing.
Surely his analysis is not for everyone, but its objective is pretty clear and it would be difficult to do it without pausing and jumping from key point to key point in the match.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
MrMister said:
C'mon guys I need you online, there's 2 people online for me right now, Mcrae who is obviously set to away again and Chickenstrip (Yawee) who I don't feel would be right for Beta testing 2.0 means 0 beta testers...

I definitely need MisterAnderson (Flux), Pandaman, and Pyke to join me, they are fun to play with and let me know where the exploits are. :lol

lol I went on for 10 mins and you weren't on.. now its 10:20am and I havent slept yet :p

hope you find the test subjects!

Vaporak

Being Diamond is in no way comparable to being C rank on ICCUP. Diamond encompasses roughly all of the ICCUP ranks, with everything below diamond being more comparable to the average Bnet players in Broodwar. The bad ICCUP players were/are already better than 95% of the Bnet Broodwar players.

Also, Day9 is both the best game analyst, and the best game commentator. :lol There's really no one else I'd rather have.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Zzoram said:
Also, it's pretty retarded that Blizzcon qualifiers are decided purely on ladder rank. The GSL Open 1 winner didn't get to play qualifiers because like all the best players, he spends most of his practice time playing with his teammates and not on the ladder.
blizzard are more concerned about getting people to play on the ladder then they are about getting the best players to play at blizzcon i guess.

JoeFu

Banned
Anybody else still doing the funday monday thing? I want to try mass infestors or something with you guys!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
vicissitudes said:

He only pauses and analyzes on his dailies. His actual casts you cant really find on his youtube but are great, he usually casts for other people so they are out there though. I cant stand tasteless anymore...at least I didnt really like him on this currently GSL season. Watching the korean stream I just notice how much stuff they miss :(
HD and Husky are entertaining...but you cannot take what strategy they are saying with a grain of salt. I remember when I use to like listening to their discussions :lol

Corran Horn said:
He only pauses and analyzes on his dailies. His actual casts you cant really find on his youtube but are great, he usually casts for other people so they are out there though. I cant stand tasteless anymore...at least I didnt really like him on this currently GSL season. Watching the korean stream I just notice how much stuff they miss :(
HD and Husky are entertaining...but you cannot take what strategy they are saying with a grain of salt. I remember when I use to like listening to their discussions :lol

Gotcha. I saw King of Beta finals, it was pretty good. I still prefer the GSL casts and HD, ::shrugs:: to each his own.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FUCK THIS, what the fuck is this piece of shit?

ZvZ, right? Okay, so the dude builds one probe and spawning pool right after that. He sends that probe to scout and immediately when he finds me (and his spawning pool is done), he builds A FUCKING SPINE CRAWLER IN MY BASE? And it's placed JUST NEXT to my spawning pool so I can only attack it with 2/3 of my drones and I'll NEVER kill it in time before it's complete and starts hammering me. ALSO! As if that's not enough, he sends 6 zerglings just 2 seconds after that spinecrawlers done.

What the?????????

Yoshichan said:

ZvZ, right? Okay, so the dude builds one probe and spawning pool right after that. He sends that probe to scout and immediately when he finds me (and his spawning pool is done), he builds A FUCKING SPINE CRAWLER IN MY BASE? And it's placed JUST NEXT to my spawning pool so I can only attack it with 2/3 of my drones and I'll NEVER kill it in time before it's complete and starts hammering me. ALSO! As if that's not enough, he sends 6 zerglings just 2 seconds after that spinecrawlers done.

What the?????????
pick up keyboard, smash on desk

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Yoshichan said:

What the?????????

You can do that with a probe?!??! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom