• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raelson

I need to prevent myself from playing SC2 for a while. I've been playing like some bronze scrub recently...
People have been messaging me asking how i can be diamond. :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Raelson said:
I need to prevent myself from playing SC2 for a while. I've been playing like some bronze scrub recently...
Same boat here, I recently started playing 1v1 again and got promoted to platinum while losing. :lol I don't know many working strats anyone that work well lol. It sucks haha.

Cheeto

Pandaman said:
at your level, stuf like delaying gas to squeeze out extra drones doesn't matter asmuch as having solid macro fundamentals down, i wouldnt worry about stuff like that yet if i was in your shoes. that said, your apm is still higher than mine, what do you click!
He probably clicks his hotkeys... have you tried that?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Raelson said:
dont listen to em, ive been playing alot of 2k+ plats on unranked lately, and they're all a special breed of bad. >_>

there's a bigger gulf between diamonds then there is between bronze and plats.

cheeto said:
He probably clicks his hotkeys... have you tried that?
xiPCh.gif

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
elaborate, please. I was quite happy with my macro so far.
well, at one point your queen at your natural had a 120 energy lead over your queen at your main, and the nat queen was a replacement for one already killed. that's a good 5 missed injects right there.

second of all, you didn't scout your opponent at all. you are zerg, larvae management requires up to date information, you feel those attacks as 'pressure' because you had no idea it was coming, but at the end of the day 4warp gate suicide squads of zealots on move command do not qualify as a legitimate threat. you were off guard because of your lack of scouting, but you still had managed to handle it once your second spine was up, still you kept overproducing on zealots and missing injects. it wasn't until your mutas showed up that you had any econ advantage at all.

finally, i know you wanted to do muta/ling, but if you had scouted that he wasn't mining gas or just switched to roach after the second suicide squad, you probably would have rolled over him at the 10 minute mark. mutaling also can do some pretty scary run byes that destroy 4warp gates tempo. [this is why almost nobody does 4warp anymore vs zerg] even if you fear a stalker switch, roaches are always a better option when your limiting resource is larvae [which it was, because you had stopped droning].

dont get me wrong, you produced alot of stuff very fast when you were in trouble, but as zerg you dont want to make alot of stuff, you want to make just barely enough stuff, and you can only judge that with good constant scouting. zerg macro and zerg scouting are intimately connected.

(._.)

Banned
How hard is it to get to Diamond? I was told that it just means you are playing the game at where it is balanced so it just takes experience more than actual skill. Is this true? I rarely played RTS games online until SC2 so there are still some things I'm not 100% sure about when playing.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
Thank you, Panda!!! :)
i did like your opening imba line though. :lol
warmed by bitter heart.

@(._.):
i'd have to go with experience purely because alot of gaffers i play with play much better than lowbie diamonds, but are themselves very poorly ranked. most of them dont ladder seriously though, so maybe they have the experience now and just havent gone back to the ladder.

Hell, Dizzy is only silver, but he plays better than most diamonds i've seen. >_> he losses out to alot of small stuff though, so i can only assume he just needs more time to get more experience. just in the last few weeks ive seen him play ive noticed alot of stuff that used to work on him doesn't anymore, so he'll probably rank up quickly if he started laddering again because of his new experiences.

Vaporak

(._.) said:
How hard is it to get to Diamond? I was told that it just means you are playing the game at where it is balanced so it just takes experience more than actual skill. Is this true? I rarely played RTS games online until SC2 so there are still some things I'm not 100% sure about when playing.

I'd say it's pretty easy to get into diamond. To me being in diamond is approximately equivalent to being able to decently execute a standard opening and you're able to macro.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Vaporak said:
I'd say it's pretty easy to get into diamond. To me being in diamond is approximately equivalent to being able to decently execute a standard opening and you're able to macro.
:p
it is somewhat funny that 'standard' openings are reserved for the top 8 of the playerbase.

but yeah, you are absolutely right. spend 10 minutes on team liquid and play regularly, and most people would be diamond. the actual barrier to entry skillwise is relatively low given the depth of the game.

Cheeto

Pandaman said:
:p
it is somewhat funny that 'standard' openings are reserved for the top 8 of the playerbase.

but yeah, you are absolutely right. spend 10 minutes on team liquid and play regularly, and most people would be diamond. the actual barrier to entry skillwise is relatively low given the depth of the game.
:(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm starting to lean a bit more towards Protoss.
Macroing is easy as shit, everything you need comes from 2 things, units anywhere instantly, gateways only cost minerals, infinite workers, super fast upgrades, imba vs Zerg, PvP better than TvT.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hazaro said:
Macroing is easy as shit, everything you need comes from 2 things, units anywhere instantly, gateways only cost minerals, infinite workers, super fast upgrades, imba vs Zerg, PvP better than TvT.
Come to the dark side ;).

zlatko

Banned
So the past 2 days I've finally started going at this game hard. Up until now I just played casually against the computer and did an occasional loss in bronze league.

After spending about 2 hours watching tons of tutorial videos, reading guides, etc I started to apply what I had learned. I didn't know about the Grid key layout which is really awesome, so I had a lot of relearning to do at first, but once I got the hang of what does what it was much smoother for me to build things without clicking. I wasn't consistently beating the computer on normal either since I rarely played, but after the last 2 days I don't lose at all AND I was finally able to get Gold in the challenge for Terran to build 30 marines, 8 ghosts, 8 siege tanks while holding off zerg rushes. I also got a win in bronze effectively.

It sucks not being someone who is naturally good at multi tasking and losing a lot at anything can be discouraging when it's a complete blow out, but I can't but help love this game. It's great playing a game that is more thought/skill based and less based on luck like some of the other multiplayer I get into.

I hope I can get into silver by January. Trying to pace myself bit by bit. :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Aylinato said:
where is everybody! anyway, we should play tonight, for sure
ive checked into mumble every few hours, nothing. -.-

@haz: glad im not the only one feeling the call of the protoss. >_> zerg are just so warm though, ill always love em.

Spl1nter

Pandaman said:
@haz: glad im not the only one feeling the call of the protoss. >_> zerg are just so warm though, ill always love em.

The past few games I have played with zerg have me feeling like I should switch. I feel like I have to completely dominate my opponent just to be able to win. If I dont drone up I am fucked. If I dont make units I am fucked. :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Spl1nter said:
The past few games I have played with zerg have me feeling like I should switch. I feel like I have to completely dominate my opponent just to be able to win. If I dont drone up I am fucked. If I dont make units I am fucked. :(
yea, its like you're either massively better than your opponent, or you get crushed.

fights never feel close because if you get hurt, your production just cant swing back in fast enough. losing a hatch or two is just such a huge deal.

Q8D3vil

Hazaro said:
i was thinking to switch, then i saw immvp raping the zergs :lol
terran for life.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
I quit my job so I can play more StarCraft :>

ok that's not the full story but starting in january I should have a lot more time to play :)
sounds like someone has an excuse to go to korea next open. :lol

"but hun, when i was unemployeed i got so l33t good"

--

unrelated note, i bought my first new phone in years and i am terrified of it. >_>
bring on lt cliff drops because these smartphones will be the death of me. :lol

Pandaman said:
only women to touch ya been your hairdresser, eh? >_>

I WISH! I had to shave my head bald when a bum threw chewing gum into it :(

Pandaman said:
but confusing and infuriating!
[its also my first touch screen]

been rocking an iPhone since day 1. You'll get used to starting at a tiny screen when you're not staring at the big one :>

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
I WISH! I had to shave my head bald when a bum threw chewing gum into it :(
>_>
<_<
wasn't me!

been rocking an iPhone since day 1. You'll get used to starting at a tiny screen when you're not staring at the big one :>
its just like widgets and stuff. >_> what the hell are all these things, screens within screens! i drag my inger and some new screen comes up thats nothing but an analog clock! i dont even wanna attempt figuring out these custom ringtones people have been jibberjabbin about for the last few years...

Q8D3vil

unrelated note, i bought my first new phone in years and i am terrified of it. >_>
bring on lt cliff drops because these smartphones will be the death of me.
been owning smartphones since 2005 but i stopped last year, decided to throw my money some where else, my pc gaming rig.
can't be happier.

Corran Horn

Pandaman said:
yea android. an htc legend.
Some stuff to get:

SC2Cast: http://www.appbrain.com/app/sc2casts/com.sc2casts.android
*there is a fake one, make sure to get this one*

Mobile Neogaf: http://secondapps.com/neogaf/
*Just a url, but makes gaf so much better on phone

TeamLiquid App: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=166250
*Have to install the APK on your phone, might need to root it first. Mkaes an easy to read TL forums on phone.

Other than that, make sure to get stuff like Flash and then you could watch justin.tv and ustream stuff on your phone! :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
Other than that, make sure to get stuff like Flash and then you could watch justin.tv and ustream stuff on your phone! :D
:O

gom work on an android app!
im gonna need more than that 1gig dataplan. >_>;

thanks for the recommendations! it helps to know what you're looking or when you're this lost. :lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I love it when you smash someone going for some cheese.

Really getting sick of having to completely outplay someone to win as Zerg, not sure why I'm sticking with them.

DaFish

Ikuu said:
I love it when you smash someone going for some cheese.

Really getting sick of having to completely outplay someone to win as Zerg, not sure why I'm sticking with them.
Cuz... they look so damn cool

patch next week may change all this

A man can dream, right?

Corran Horn

Pandaman said:
:O

gom work on an android app!
im gonna need more than that 1gig dataplan. >_>;

thanks for the recommendations! it helps to know what you're looking or when you're this lost. :lol
There is also a mumble app if you want to chat while away from computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom