• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
brothers killing brothers pic*
Uv4S5.jpg

zlatko said:
Thank you. Just lost another fight due to Terran walling up and building tons of air units to shit on me. :/

if terran is walling if with one or a few layers use banelings to break the choke point to make a way for your forces to get in

if of course they have tanks in seige mode then that isn't going to work out too well but it's really a case by case scenario really

i'd say zerg is the hardest race to play out of the 3 races but that's just my opinion

zlatko

Banned
PandaPandaPanda said:
if terran is walling if with one or a few layers use banelings to break the choke point to make a way for your forces to get in

if of course they have tanks in seige mode then that isn't going to work out too well but it's really a case by case scenario really

i'd say zerg is the hardest race to play out of the 3 races but that's just my opinion

It feels that way. I think I have like 14 wins and 50 losses or something like that. I seriously ldon't think there is anyone worse than myself in Bronze League. The way I get molly whopped it feels like everyone I play against is on an alt account to crap on me with. I've only had 2 games ever where the other guy was I'd say equal/felt like he belonged in Bronze League like myself.

:/ It's exhausting trying to learn a game when you constantly lose. I don't know what to take away from most games since they are losses. The only time I feel I'm learning anything IS if I win, because I know up to that point I was building the right things based off of what I scouted.

zlatko said:
It feels that way. I think I have like 14 wins and 50 losses or something like that. I seriously ldon't think there is anyone worse than myself in Bronze League. The way I get molly whopped it feels like everyone I play against is on an alt account to crap on me with. I've only had 2 games ever where the other guy was I'd say equal/felt like he belonged in Bronze League like myself.

:/ It's exhausting trying to learn a game when you constantly lose. I don't know what to take away from most games since they are losses. The only time I feel I'm learning anything IS if I win, because I know up to that point I was building the right things based off of what I scouted.

well as the old saying goes practice makes perfect really

you could try watching replays of good zerg players and try and pick up a thing or two

for example players such as eg.idra, fruitdealer(korean player), eg.machine, liquidret etc.

could start here and look for zerg games here http://www.youtube.com/user/ArtosisTV#p/u

i can't really offer any solid advice for zerg since I play random and zerg is my worst race and usually more often than not I lose when I get zerg in diamond league unfortunately

zlatko

Banned
PandaPandaPanda said:
well as the old saying goes practice makes perfect really

you could try watching replays of good zerg players and try and pick up a thing or two

for example players such as eg.idra, fruitdealer(korean player), eg.machine, liquidret etc.

could start here and look for zerg games here http://www.youtube.com/user/ArtosisTV#p/u

i can't really offer any solid advice for zerg since I play random and zerg is my worst race and usually more often than not I lose when I get zerg in diamond league unfortunately

Got any tips on how to manage building while you are still attacking to keep pressure on? I make control units at the start, but I always forget to keep building while I'm making my pushes AKA I suck at multi tasking. :(

I read and watched all the helpful videos IGN.com put up in their SC2 multiplayer guide. I've really been going at it hard though for a few days now trying to get better at macro, micro, build orders, scouting, etc. It's still really rough though. I hope in a months time I can at least move up to silver league. Not sure how far someone with awful multi tasking skills can go in this game. :p

Add Kotaku to the "long" List of people who thought StarCraft 2 was a disappointment for not being different enough from StarCraft 1.

I guess 4 years of the eerilie similar Call of Duties must've slipped their mind.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
mescalineeyes said:
Add Kotaku to the "long" List of people who thought StarCraft 2 was a disappointment for not being different enough from StarCraft 1.

I guess 4 years of the eerilie similar Call of Duties must've slipped their mind.

Yeah. I bet they're paid off by kespa!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
zlatko said:
Got any tips on how to manage building while you are still attacking to keep pressure on? I make control units at the start, but I always forget to keep building while I'm making my pushes AKA I suck at multi tasking. :(

I read and watched all the helpful videos IGN.com put up in their SC2 multiplayer guide. I've really been going at it hard though for a few days now trying to get better at macro, micro, build orders, scouting, etc. It's still really rough though. I hope in a months time I can at least move up to silver league. Not sure how far someone with awful multi tasking skills can go in this game. :p

I just wanted to give you some hope.

I'm in the bronze league on SEA/ANZ with a record of like 30 / 60.

I then did my placements on the NA server and got into gold :)... sure I've not played any 1v1 on either... but just know that all the hard work has seen a change in your skill.. and you'll get the recognition soon!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
:/ It's exhausting trying to learn a game when you constantly lose. I don't know what to take away from most games since they are losses.
not what id expect to hear from a street fighter avatar. :p

The only time I feel I'm learning anything IS if I win, because I know up to that point I was building the right things based off of what I scouted.
are you really learning anything that way? i mean, the fact that you won means you already know how to read and counter that particular build. ideally, you should then study the games where you lose, because they must then be games where you couldn't tell what your opponent was doing, and you must learn a way to either maximize your scouting in that situation or look for something more subtle as a hint.

maybe you should step back from some of the subtleties and just build a big stick and get used to the feel of whacking people. in bronze, you could probably merc your way into gold just doing 14gas/14pool 15ovie 16queen/ling speed - zergling allin.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not a good idea to just all-in your way up the ladder, just learn to macro properly and throw in the occasional all-in to mix it up. Or just switch to Terran or Toss and you'll probably do much better anyway.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ikuu said:
Not a good idea to just all-in your way up the ladder, just learn to macro properly and throw in the occasional all-in to mix it up. Or just switch to Terran or Toss and you'll probably do much better anyway.
thats why i suggested 14gas/14pool, its not an allin unless you build the zerglings. its a safe opener that transitions well into macro, tech or aggression.

you cant just learn to macro like you're flipping sa switch, he needs to advance piecemeal and to do that he'll need a steady increase in the skill of his competition. macroing well against a bronze leaguer will just get you complacent on your defenses or lazy on your macro.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
mescalineeyes said:
Just stop, man.
It was a joke, though I don't think it's controversial to say that Terran and Toss are easier to win with at his level.

Ikuu said:
It was a joke, though I don't think it's controversial to say that Terran and Toss are easier to win with at his level.

I don't know, I was really struggling with Terran and Toss and found Zerg to be the easiest. I guess it is different from person to person.

Snow

mescalineeyes said:

The entire article feels kinda silly to me, to be honest. The write-up for sc2 in particular, since it is basically 'it's good, maybe great, but it isn't this other thing we also really like'. But I guess there is something interesting about these complaints in general, which tend to mostly be that certain choices recent RTSes made (the Relic ones in particular, maybe the GPG ones too) aren't present SC2 final form.

The interesting thing to me is that the choices made by those other games are usually presented as unequivocally being advances. It is true that they tend to add extra complexity to certain aspects of RTS games, but it usually also means de-emphasizing other aspects of the basic RTS formula. I get that some people either dislike the economy and base management part of RTS or on the other hand don't want to focus on fine unit control and tactical management. But having another game after all those years that has the same macro/micro balance as they used to have isn't a step backwards, when what is defined as advancement is in part specialization in titles.

Q8D3vil

so good to be terran, i was losing against toss in mid-late game but thanks to mescalineyes guidance i won 85% of my TVP in the past 3 days.

lol_sc2.jpg

Q8D3vil said:
so good to be terran, i was losing against toss in mid-late game but thanks to mescalineyes guidance i won 85% of my TVP in the past 3 days.

lol_sc2.jpg

*high five*

for everyone wondering what our Protoss Player jagdsaison here is saying: "ridiculous. unbelievable."

FoxSpirit

Q8D3vil said:

lol_sc2.jpg

What did you do, 2 rax scv allin? Cloaked Banshee rush? Must have been something nice to earn that comment :p

FoxSpirit said:
What did you do, 2 rax scv allin? Cloaked Banshee rush? Must have been something nice to earn that comment :p

this is platinum league. none of those builds are viable ... especially not against toss ;)
it was something far, far cooler. It's a fairly old build, it involves the Thor and strike cannons :)

Q8D3vil

mescalineeyes said:
this is platinum league. none of those builds are viable ... especially not against toss ;)
it was something far, far cooler. It's a fairly old build, it involves the Thor and strike cannons :)
yeah, fun part that its not even all in.
only way to counter it is dt rush.

Can anyone recommend some good Protoss replays/videos, strategies, suggestions? ...I've been out of the game for a few months. Not sure where is a good place to start.

zlatko

Banned
Pandaman said:
not what id expect to hear from a street fighter avatar. :p

are you really learning anything that way? i mean, the fact that you won means you already know how to read and counter that particular build. ideally, you should then study the games where you lose, because they must then be games where you couldn't tell what your opponent was doing, and you must learn a way to either maximize your scouting in that situation or look for something more subtle as a hint.

maybe you should step back from some of the subtleties and just build a big stick and get used to the feel of whacking people. in bronze, you could probably merc your way into gold just doing 14gas/14pool 15ovie 16queen/ling speed - zergling allin.

:p The difference for me with learning to be better at SF and SC2 is that SF was easier to get better at in a lot of ways. Especially SF4. I got beat up very badly in the start, but the amount of resources to help you overcome sucking is really vast. I'm not the next Daigo, but I win more than I lose and I'm happy with that. :)

Good tip. I think I'm going to dial it back a few notches and build on more fundamentals before going further into learning more. Practice being more effective at what I've learned, then add more to it.

I'll try that build order a few times against the A.I first then put it to use. :)

zlatko said:

i don't know what the videos on ign are like but the youtube channel shows games from pro gamers(people who's job is to play nothing but starcraft 2 all day-hence no actual day job) just to show you some ideas for zerg

as for pressure, you always want to try and stay one step ahead of your opponent if you can(by scouting) if you see them going something build appropriate units to counter it

as for multi tasking use your hotkeys if you aren't already and use them for your production buildings

this way when you do get into battle you can keep pumping out units as you fight(and lose units) without having to take your eyes/screen off the battle and micro

anyway just keep at it you'll find out what works for you. like i said I think zerg is the hardest to play (eg when to stop making drones, creep spread, transfusion timing etc) but if you stick with it maybe you'll find out what works for you

just don't play random like I do(I do it just so I don't get bored of playing the same race every game and I don't really care about my record either) as you need to learn 9 match ups vs the regular 3.

and for your league don't worry too much about it. i'm in diamond (hovering around rank 6-12) and there's a lot of bad people/cheesers in here so don't sweat too much about it. I just played a game vs a guy who just massed marine/marauders/medivac the whole game and I steam rolled him

oh yeah also watch replays where you lose. it sucks watching yourself get destroyed but you need to pin point crucial points where you make a mistake so you can learn from them.

ezrarh

I've been too tired lately to play starcraft. Hopefully I'll catch up on sleep this weekend, since I'll have 4 days to sleep in and get my mind and body back into it. I find myself unwilling to play it after work because I know I'll just keep losing because of the lack of concentration. God I need more sleep. ><

zlatko

Banned
Cheeto said:
:(

I've always got room for you

Any chance I could join as a spectator to watch you guys play? Or if I could have a replay once you guys wrap up? :D

Edit: Just tried out the build order Panda told me on an Insane difficulty Terran and won without a single issue. :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i dont mind, any idea when you'll be on cheeto so i can get dinner out of the way? :p

zlatko said:
Edit: Just tried out the build order Panda told me on an Insane difficulty Terran and won without a single issue. :lol
its a good build, i used it when reapers were still horrifying.
i you want ast tech, just skip lings and 22 expand.
if you want econ, pull off gas ater you get ling speed and 18 expand.

Cheeto

Pandaman said:
i dont mind, any idea when you'll be on cheeto so i can get dinner out of the way? :p

its a good build, i used it when reapers were still horrifying.
i you want ast tech, just skip lings and 22 expand.
if you want econ, pull off gas ater you get ling speed and 18 expand.
I'm on now and I'll be on till late too since I have off tomorrow. I'll probably be with the wife sometime around 7-9ish est. Whats good for you?

Deadly

I keep getting really really random crashes for like no reason, anyone ever encountered these?

I'm also down for tonight, what race you play again Cheeto?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Cheeto said:
I'm on now and I'll be on till late too since I have off tomorrow. I'll probably be with the wife sometime around 7-9ish est. Whats good for you?
im getting dinner ready now, so ill probably pop on in an hour and just stay around all night. :p

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Can anyone recommend some good Protoss replays/videos, strategies, suggestions? ...I've been out of the game for a few months. Not sure where is a good place to start.

Practicing the 9 Pylon 12 Gateway opening -- guess I'll continue this till I'm comfortable enough transitioning to a mid-game build without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom