• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Nothing wrong with learning or refining things against the AI, Machine says he's spent countless hours playing the AI working on stuff.

I play vs AI almost every day that I don't have time or feel like playing live games. Keeps macro fresh and tight. It isn't for learning how to defend banshee rushes or whatever though.

hotkey nexus to 4, gateways to 5

always produce probes and gateway units

look at your supply and mineral count frequently. do not let yourself get supply blocked. spend your minerals and gas.

start mining gas as soon as it is available.

set initial army to hotkeys 1, 2, or 3

do this and you will easily win (even against very hard/brutal AI).

your hotkey setup may vary significantly from my suggested setup, which is fine. just do something that makes sense to you and keeps your organized. as you get used to running through your hotkeys, checking the minerals/supply, etc. you will be able to focus more on microing... but that is a ways down the road. you really do not need to be reading anything regarding advanced strategy and tactics right now. getting your macro up to an acceptable level will let you get wayyyyyy better in the shortest period of time.

Thanks a lot, my Macro has definitely improve since yesterday. I've managed to finally beat the A.I. on hard -- and as I thought (and many have told me), it was my Macro that was holding me back (my Micro is passable). I also had trouble deciding when to use a particular unit, much better at transitioning to other units now though. I'd still be attempting mass stalkers and a couple of sentries after defending against the first wave while the A.I. has an army of Marauders, Marines, Hellions, and Siege tanks knocking on my front door --Immortals ftw.

I suck at micromanagement and RTS games in general, small feat but a big deal.

Ikuu

You don't need to worry about micro really, just concentrate on your macro and you'll win more games.

Got to feel sorry for people who do too well in their placement matches and end up in the wrong league.

zlatko

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Thanks a lot, my Macro has definitely improve since yesterday. I've managed to finally beat the A.I. on hard -- and as I thought (and many have told me), it was my Macro that was holding me back (my Micro is passable). I also had trouble deciding when to use a particular unit, much better at transitioning to other units now though. I'd still be attempting mass stalkers and a couple of sentries after defending against the first wave while the A.I. has an army of Marauders, Marines, Hellions, and Siege tanks knocking on my front door --Immortals ftw.

I suck at micromanagement and RTS games in general, small feat but a big deal.

I'm glad I'm not alone. Let's make a new years Gaf pact to not suck at SC2 in 2011. :D

Q8D3vil

Ikuu said:
You don't need to worry about micro really, just concentrate on your macro and you'll win more games.

Got to feel sorry for people who do too well in their placement matches and end up in the wrong league.

is this his first match ? :lol

Ikuu

Q8D3vil said:
is this his first match ? :lol
I watched it again and I'm going to guess he went for Cloaked Banshees in the games he won and the people he played didn't defend them at all. I also seem to have no idea how easily I could win some games, at one point I ran from 8 marines with like 30 Mutas :lol thought he had more than that.

Checked your match history and I see you've been using that Thor rush on some poor Protoss :lol

zlatko said:
I'm glad I'm not alone. Let's make a new years Gaf pact to not suck at SC2 in 2011. :D
It's not that hard to get alright at the game to be honest. Just watch replays, read some TL and practice. Getting to Plat/Diamond isn't that difficult.

zlatko

Banned
Cheeto said:
GAF nights 2011 gogogo

Where were you last night? :( Panda and I waited and waited, BUT YOU NEVER CAME!

:p Let me know if you two decide to go at it another night down the road. I love watching SC2 to learn. :)

Q8D3vil

Checked your match history and I see you've been using that Thor rush on some poor Protoss :lol
i want to see how far can i go with it.

but it is stoppable, i join a custom game and told the other player to prepare himself for 2 thor rush. when i attack he focused on the scv ( very good micro ) then i lost.
i think if took half of the scv's ( turn it into all in ) it will be unbeatable if he used the same thing.

but, i don't see it working in the next patch at all.
:lol

SC2_2011-01-01_01-59-59-14.jpg

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
Where were you last night? :( Panda and I waited and waited, BUT YOU NEVER CAME!

:p Let me know if you two decide to go at it another night down the road. I love watching SC2 to learn. :)
he showed up at like 10ish. :p

Ikuu said:
I watched it again and I'm going to guess he went for Cloaked Banshees in the games he won and the people he played didn't defend them at all. I also seem to have no idea how easily I could win some games, at one point I ran from 8 marines with like 30 Mutas :lol thought he had more than that.

was mo
It's not that hard to get alright at the game to be honest. Just watch replays, read some TL and practice. Getting to Plat/Diamond isn't that difficult.
I was watching the replay and wondering why you were so passive. Then I saw the creep moving towards his base, and I assumed you were trying to bury him in creep for fun. That was basically all the entertainment for me. That and him constructing 70 desperation turrets. I remember doing something like that with cannons in the first game... against the computer... in a 3v3 comp stomp... oh my god I was horrible (but so st everyone at the time).

Ikuu said:

Holy crap, that was insane. I feel for the poor guy. What League are you?

Ikuu

Gold/Platinum, like I said I reckon the guy had just used the same build in all his games (this was his 10th) and didn't know that much besides it.

Keikaku

Cheeto said:
2dqW6l.jpg

:lol wtf?

I won't be able to check out the replay for another week, but that is some truly . . . unique building placement. Manner gateways blocking your own minerals and 1 colossus and 2 zealots just chillin' :lol

EDIT: I must be blind. No nexus at all :lol :lol :lol

zlatko

Banned
So today I figured I'd focus on giving Protoss more love to see how they mesh with me. I want to try to do 4 gate build against the computer, but I seem to not be able to find a solid enough builder order/guide on how to go about it. From what I found it goes:

9 Pylon
10 CBoost 2 workers
12 Gateway
12 Cboost 2 workers
13 assimilator
16 pylon
18 cybercore
18 assimilator

Questions I have are: When the first Gateway is done should I build a zealot with it? Should I keep building zealots until I have 4 gates to then start doing stalkers? When should I get the blink upgrade for stalkers? When should I be building the other 3 gateways? At how many stalkers do I want to push out with? When would I typically want to expand? When should I turn the gateways to be able to teleport units?

These are all things I'm totally clueless about.

Keikaku said:
I won't be able to check out the replay for another week, but that is some truly . . . unique building placement. Manner gateways blocking your own minerals and 1 colossus and 2 zealots just chillin' :lol

EDIT: I must be blind. No nexus at all :lol :lol :lol

It was more of a last ditch offer, figured my pseudo-expand/fronline would keep him pre-occupied long enough to move my actual expansion on the otherside of the map. But once he saw that one colossus, Lol. He had a clear advantage.

zlatko said:
Questions I have are: When the first Gateway is done should I build a zealot with it? Should I keep building zealots until I have 4 gates to then start doing stalkers? When should I get the blink upgrade for stalkers? When should I be building the other 3 gateways? At how many stalkers do I want to push out with? When would I typically want to expand? When should I turn the gateways to be able to teleport units?

These are all things I'm totally clueless about.

HDStarcraft - Exploiting The 4 Gate Timing Attack

I use the same build. I transition to other builds/strategies depending on what my opponent throws at me or if spot his 'motives' (scouting!).

9 - Pylon
10 - 2 probes (CB)
12 - Gateway (at 150 minerals, may be before 12)
12 - 2 probes (CB)
13 - 1st Assimilator (3 probes on it immediately)
16 - 2nd Pylon
* 16 - Zealot if playing Zerg, save for the Stalker if not
18 - Cybernetics Core (Spend further CB's on Warpgate, research as soon as Core finishes)
18/19 - 2nd Assimilator (I use 2 probes here for now, your call on unit composition)

Post 20 estimates (these are rough as you are leaving the rigid early phase):

* 19/20 - Stalker (T or P) / Zealot (Zerg)
22 - 2nd Gateway
23 - 3rd & 4th Gateway
24/25 - 3rd Pylon
26 - Warpgate finishes, transform your Gateways and build a 4th and 5th Pylon, you will now be using up exactly 1 Pylons worth of supply each warp in (4 units x 2 supply = 8 supply) so it is important to be planning ahead with your Pylons.
26+ - Warp in your first set of 4 units (sentry, zealot, 2x stalkers is a good start). Mix your composition up, don't go sentry heavy, 2 is a good number.

From Protoss 101 - GameReplays forums

zlatko

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Awesome things

Thank you. :D

I realized some things from this video that I must be messing up in general when I play, because I must not know the shortcut keys to do them. What's the trick to always evenly getting your probes/scv/drones to mine? When he builds the assimilator in the video he seems to easily be able to pick 3 probes and send them to it, but for me I have to click each one by one to send to it, so is there a method to help without having to click one by one? Finally, is there a way to check a unit on your map without having to click where it is to go to it? Example being you send out a scout and want to quick swap to him to see what he's seeing without clicking. I know you can hit backspace to go back to your base or if enemies are attacking you you can hit backspace to go to that point on the map as well.

Edit: I just thought about the 3 probes onto assmilator, and I'm guessing you just make a control group of 3 probes, then when it finishes you just pick that group and right click the assmilator.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So im sat here, staring at find game and thinking, "well shit, i just played 3 40+ minute games and if i play another im going to smash my head on a fucking table" and yet i feel the urge to sc2.

Tell me im not alone gaf! You ever have some nights where even with the best intentions you play some soul suckingly long games?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Mr Cola said:
So im sat here, staring at find game and thinking, "well shit, i just played 3 40+ minute games and if i play another im going to smash my head on a fucking table" and yet i feel the urge to sc2.

Tell me im not alone gaf! You ever have some nights where even with the best intentions you play some soul suckingly long games?
i dream of long games man, i cant relate.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Pandaman said:
i dream of long games man, i cant relate.
I love long games in principle

I hate long games against a group of Terrans who go two fac tank, turret up to shit and sit on 2 base for 40 minutes.

I cannot do that again and the last 3 terrans have done it, almost the same build to a T. The build fails btw, it just takes a long fucking time to kill it.

The only thing worsse than a flavour of the month build is a flavour of a month build that is equal parts bad and infuriating.

Aylinato

It's 14 gas, then 16 plyon, then cyber ore if no rush, if there is a rush build a zealot out first before the cyber, then add a gateway when you can(before stalker or so, depends on if they r rushing, then two more gateways, and u should have 2 zealots, 2 stalkers(maybe sentry if you wanna block off their ramp in order to cut down on reinforcements, make sure to get out the forward plyons

Deadman

Mr Cola said:

I hate long games against a group of Terrans who go two fac tank, turret up to shit and sit on 2 base for 40 minutes.

I cannot do that again and the last 3 terrans have done it, almost the same build to a T. The build fails btw, it just takes a long fucking time to kill it.

The only thing worsse than a flavour of the month build is a flavour of a month build that is equal parts bad and infuriating.

The worst thing about that is if you kill too many scvs you actually make them stronger. They usually have bad macro so they have money banked up, so they re-max on just units and they end up with 180 supply of army instead of like 120. Then it takes foreeeeeever to kill.

Mr Cola

Deadman said:
The worst thing about that is if you kill too many scvs you actually make them stronger. They usually have bad macro so they have money banked up, so they re-max on just units and they end up with 180 supply of army instead of like 120. Then it takes foreeeeeever to kill.
The general philosophy behind the move is "how can i not lose till he ragequits" which means they use the excess minerals they have to turret up like a bitch meaning a 2 star counter is pointless for the midgame. I really dont mind long, back and forth games, but sitting on 4 base while nothing happens but teching is just soul destroying, its simply not fun.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
why kill it at all?
just deathlock him in and sit back and laugh.
right cheeto? :p contain and cut of anything that sticks out.

FoxSpirit

Pandaman said:
*one pylon powering everything*
BffFa.jpg

have you gone back to protoss now? :lol

What show is that from?

edit: I don't play Toss but if a Terran just hardturtles, can't you get Archons and a mothership and the rest of it regular army? I mean, if you are 4 base vs 2 this should be completely feasible, uncounterable and a highly enjoyable push to boot ;-)

Q8D3vil

i'm the only one who think mass tanks are not that good in tvz unless you are cliiiiiiide and immvp >_>
i feel bad for 2 bases terran against zerg.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
i'm the only one who think mass tanks are not that good in tvz unless you are cliiiiiiide and immvp >_>
i feel bad for 2 bases terran against zerg.
not as bad as banshees.

zlatko

Banned
Corran Horn said:
YAY TSL3 soon!
InfoFlowTemp2.png

Am I seeing too many 0's or something? I had no clue SC2 tournies give out that big of a pay out. I was under the impression like the highest it got was $5,000 and there's like 5-6 of those spread out throughout a year, while the rest are smaller pay outs.

What's the highest pay out for a single tournament this year in SC2?

Q8D3vil

Am I seeing too many 0's or something? I had no clue SC2 tournies give out that big of a pay out. I was under the impression like the highest it got was $5,000 and there's like 5-6 of those spread out throughout a year, while the rest are smaller pay outs.

What's the highest pay out for a single tournament this year in SC2?
GOM TV GSL offers ~90,000$ for the winner.
they held 3 tournaments last year (each with prize of ~90,000$)

GSL 2011 tournaments will start in a few days.

Q8D3vil

nilbog21 said:
does mondragon even play sc2? :lol
from the FAQ
Mondragon finished second in the TSL2, defeating players like Brat_OK, Fenix, and Sen. He was considered one of the best players outside Korea for Starcraft: Brood War. Mondragon is not "officially active" in Starcraft 2 but has played 500 games (3100 rated). He will be active and practicing for TSL3 -- he didn't accept his seed to just lose in the first round.

zlatko

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
GOM TV GSL offers ~90,000$ for the winner.
they held 3 tournaments last year (each with prize of ~90,000$)

GSL 2011 tournaments will start in a few days.

daaaayumjimmy.gif

90k x 3? Does any other competitive game do these kinds of numbers for pro players?

Mr Cola

So Did anyone here set themself the challenge of getting into the master/gm leagues next reset? How are you doing? Im thinking about going on a big run to push into the master league on US over the next few days :eek:

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Mr Cola said:
So Did anyone here set themself the challenge of getting into the master/gm leagues next reset? How are you doing? Im thinking about going on a big run to push into the master league on US over the next few days :eek:
well, we sorta need a ladder reset first.

Mr Cola

Pandaman said:
well, we sorta need a ladder reset first.
I was under the impression the master/gm lists were generated from this seasons end results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom