• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hazaro said:
lol Zerg, come on Cheeto is that what you really want.
dont listen to this one, he doesnt understand what it means to have a queen waifu.

zlat, im logging in now, panda#214

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So if I fuck up and spam roach for 20 minutes straight, with upgrades... is there any chance I might win against someone who's spent 20 minutes spamming marauders out?

zlatko

Banned
Yoshichan said:
So if I fuck up and spam roach for 20 minutes straight, with upgrades... is there any chance I might win against someone who's spent 20 minutes spamming marauders out?

If you have burrow and Micro them really well yeah you should be able to win from what little knowledge I have.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yoshichan said:
Only if you have the econ and larva injects for it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yoshichan said:
No.

its possible to gum up the way with tons and tons of roach corpses until you get better units out, but as a rule, no.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PandaPandaPanda said:
which doesn't work out well since terran have scan + the fact that they have stim = nope
not to mention you're outranged and marauders can hobble movement speed.

Pandaman said:
not to mention you're outranged and marauders can hobble movement speed.

yeahthat too

there are a few what if's like if on creep or you force wasted stims or get a nice surround but generally it's a big no no

don't ever mass just one unit, i just beat the same guy twice who massed nothing except marauders/marines(no medivacs lol) the whole game

it was really sad too since he had econ advantage the whole game as he'd just stim and snipe my expos and then leave

Safe bet for a newbie?

9 Pylon
10 Chrono Boost
12 Gateway (scout?)
13 Assimilator
16 Pylon
(17 Cybernetics Core)

Once I hit 17, I start rolling out more Gateways -- followed by a Forge, then Shrine (Dark Temps). I really don't have much of a game plan after that. I wing it... 50/50 chance of W/L. I'm low level Bronze, so losing isn't much of an issue...

Keikaku

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Safe bet for a newbie?

9 Pylon
10 Chrono Boost
12 Gateway (scout?)
13 Assimilator
16 Pylon
(17 Cybernetics Core)

Once I hit 17, I start rolling out more Gateways -- followed by a Forge, then Shrine (Dark Temps). I really don't have much of a game plan after that. I wing it... 50/50 chance of W/L. I'm low level Bronze, so losing isn't much of an issue...

I haven't played for a couple of weeks (don't have my desktop with me at the moment T_T) but I'm high gold. There are better, more practiced Protoss players on here but this is my advice.

Basic build looks good. I scout on 9, with the probe that builds the Pylon. I generally like to look for (in no particular order):
- worker counts
- gas timings
- builds
- indication of cheese. Worker count is part of this, but I also look for known cheese builds. 6 pool would be the easiest one to scout for me.

I usually find that getting a Shrine is only worth it if the opponent is lax on detection. If I don't see enough Overseers or turrets or I see MULES, then the DT's come out. Otherwise, I tech to Colossi or HT's.

I'm starting to favor expanding around the 32 food mark. A small timing push with an expansion behind it is pretty good. Once I have the expand up, I copy-past my initial build, with some tech buildings in there. Feel free to experiment a bit :D

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Man these last 2 weeks suck. No Day9 or GSL. I been watching Dailies from when Day9 just got SC2 beta :lol

I cant bare myself to watch HD or Husky anymore. I know of other people but...I need new shit now! :lol :lol :lol

Oh ya...lol 25 people viewed my bliptv of panda streaming so far.

Corran Horn said:
Man these last 2 weeks suck. No Day9 or GSL. I been watching Dailies from when Day9 just got SC2 beta :lol

I cant bare myself to watch HD or Husky anymore. I know of other people but...I need new shit now! :lol :lol :lol

Oh ya...lol 25 people viewed my bliptv of panda streaming so far.

What's up with the HD/Husky hate yo! Sometimes I just want to watch a game cast, not an hour of Day9 lol. I prefer him but still

Artosis' channel is pretty awesome

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
PhoenixDark said:
What's up with the HD/Husky hate yo! Sometimes I just want to watch a game cast, not an hour of Day9 lol. I prefer him but still

It can be summed up in a few words

I'LL SEE YOU GUYYYYYYYYYYYS NEXT TIME.

They're the Jason Lee of youtube casting

Q8D3vil

HolyCheck said:
It can be summed up in a few words

I'LL SEE YOU GUYYYYYYYYYYYS NEXT TIME.

They're the Jason Lee of youtube casting
husky is annoying as hell but hd is awesome.

at least he have balls to play in mlg.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
PhoenixDark said:

I dont hate them. They got me back into starcraft...but after watching some of the other high quality casts...stuff they dont mention or go over tends to drive me much more crazy now.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
PhoenixDark said:

I don't hate Husky or HD at all. However, after watching 3 GSLs of professional Tastosis commentary (not to mention the DJ Wheat+Day 9 MLG commentaries), Husky and HD just can't compare.

I think it's because I'm starting to prefer dual commentaries instead of a solo act, but that's just me. Artosis' videos just seem empty without Tasteless.

HolyCheck

nilbog21 said:
thanks, when does it start? its free right?

yup in 2.5 hours as corran said, tis free just need a gomtv.net account (which is free!) and to download their video player

Pankaks said:
I don't hate Husky or HD at all. However, after watching 3 GSLs of professional Tastosis commentary (not to mention the DJ Wheat+Day 9 MLG commentaries), Husky and HD just can't compare.

I think it's because I'm starting to prefer dual commentaries instead of a solo act, but that's just me. Artosis' videos just seem empty without Tasteless.

imo Tasteless isn't a good caster. He knows a lot about the game but just comes off unprofessional to me, isn't funny, and kinda distracts from games. I'd take someone like Day9 or even Husky alongside Artosis instead of him.

Aylinato

I love DJWheat and Day9(J) personally, DJ isn't afraid to give his honest opinion, and day9 trumpets!

Anyone know when DJWheat streams usually, I always catch him at the strangest times

HolyCheck

Aylinato said:
I love DJWheat and Day9(J) personally, DJ isn't afraid to give his honest opinion, and day9 trumpets!

Anyone know when DJWheat streams usually, I always catch him at the strangest times

pretty much all sunday are his shows, not sure of the times due to time zones, but i suspect around...midday america time as its like 4am monday for me

good shows too

After a couple of hours spent having my ass handed to me by the A.I. on hard, I need to 'fix' opening > mid-game transition. Lacks order. And my timing is still off. Question concerning Early game Protoss:

As a newbie or simply a Protoss player, should I always be on the defensive? The productive time for units can be so slow (and so can my macro; doesn't help). I know it has more to do with my timing and order, after 17, everything starts galling apart. But I guess practice makes perfect.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
After a couple of hours spent having my ass handed to me by the A.I. on hard, I need to 'fix' opening > mid-game transition. Lacks order. And my timing is still off. Question concerning Early game Protoss:

As a newbie or simply a Protoss player, should I always be on the defensive? The productive time for units can be so slow (and so can my macro; doesn't help). I know it has more to do with my timing and order, after 17, everything starts galling apart. But I guess practice makes perfect.
As someone who has only played 5 ladder 1v1 games since launch. Practice.
As long as you can look back and figure out what you did wrong you can improve.

AI will teach you how to defend vs about 1 build.

Vaporak

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
As a newbie or simply a Protoss player, should I always be on the defensive?

Always? No, but the single biggest improvement I ever had in PvT was one day just deciding to never attack a Terran player. The number of times you should be aggressive in PvT is very small imo, and it's better to just play defensively and slowly feeling out when it's actually safe to attack. In PvZ most standard strategies involve the Protoss player being the aggressor early game, defensive when getting their natural up, and then resuming aggressive play. Here's a very comprehensive post in TL about this sort of PvZ play. PvP is a toss up, you can play it either way just fine.

Q8D3vil

my cousin have US sc2 account that he might not use it because he have to study for the exams.
i might join us gaf if the lag is acceptable. :D

BrLvgThrChmstry said:

Just get your macro up. Always build probes, pylons, and units out of your gateways/warpgates. Always. Built more gates as money allows, but not more than you can afford. You'll be able to beat the very hard AI easily if you do this... by the time he rushes, you will have at least one sentry, a zealot or two, and a couple stalkers. Make sure to use your guardian shield to reduce damage. Or use the force field on your ramp to separate his units in half, allowing you to pick off the ones trapped at the top of your ramp. After this attack, you will be in the lead.

Pandaman said:
people really need to stop 'practicing' versus the ai.
If you do it right, it can help a lot. I like using the AI to practice new builds, see if they get killed early (the very hard AI does a pretty good early game push usually) and get the timings figured out. Also, you're less nervous than when you're laddering.

Hazaro said:
As someone who has only played 5 ladder 1v1 games since launch. Practice.
As long as you can look back and figure out what you did wrong you can improve.

AI will teach you how to defend vs about 1 build.

Yeah, I need to be more consistent and start watching my replays more often.

Pandaman said:
people really need to stop 'practicing' versus the ai.

Ok, as a player who has not only been out of the game since early August and lacks any type of consistency or reliable strategy during play, if I find that I can't defeat Hard A.I. -- even while being aware of it's predictable build order/"strategy", then why would I continue to accept losses online? ...I just want consistency, for now. Playing against A.I. may not make me the best SC2 ever and as stated by Hazaro, vs only one build, but I at least want a solid foundation knowing that I can Micro and Macro without screwing up.

I have played a total of 72 1v1 games. 26 wins. 46 Losses. Otherwise, do have any actual information to share? ...I appreciate all the help I can get.

Vaporak said:
Always? No, but the single biggest improvement I ever had in PvT was one day just deciding to never attack a Terran player. The number of times you should be aggressive in PvT is very small imo, and it's better to just play defensively and slowly feeling out when it's actually safe to attack. In PvZ most standard strategies involve the Protoss player being the aggressor early game, defensive when getting their natural up, and then resuming aggressive play. Here's a very comprehensive post in TL about this sort of PvZ play. PvP is a toss up, you can play it either way just fine.

Thanks dude. I guess I figured since Protoss produce units little slower, defensive play should be my default. But I mostly played against Terran (as Protoss), which is why it makes sense I came to that conclusion. But this sounds like great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom