• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
zlatko said:
daaaayumjimmy.gif

90k x 3? Does any other competitive game do these kinds of numbers for pro players?
They are slashing it to a half this season though.

Can't wait for the TSL. I think it's the biggest prize pool outside of GSL and Blizzcon.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
TheThunder said:

Can't wait for the TSL. I think it's the biggest prize pool outside of GSL and Blizzcon.

And various russian or mexican tournaments...

TheThunder said:

It's definitely the biggest prize pool for a primarily online tournament so far. Can't wait. :)

Deadly

Mr Cola said:
So Did anyone here set themself the challenge of getting into the master/gm leagues next reset? How are you doing? Im thinking about going on a big run to push into the master league on US over the next few days :eek:
Isn't GM/Master league for like the pros and the top 200? Damn you must be pretty good

Haunted

Master League is the top 5% of Diamond (which, in turn, is the top 5% of all players), Grandmaster League is the Top 200 of each region.

It's probably safe to say that all the pros will be in the GM league.

HolyCheck

Haunted said:
Master League is the top 5% of Diamond (which, in turn, is the top 5% of all players), Grandmaster League is the Top 200 of each region.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Haunted said:

no.
blizzard is restructuring the ladder so that its split in 20%
20% of the playerbase in bronze
20% of the playerbase in silver
20% of the playerbase in gold
20% of the playerbase in plat
20% of the playerbase in diamond[15%]/master[4.99%]/grandmaster[0.01%].
of that 20% of diamond, the top 5% will be masters and the top 200 will be grandmasters.

given that the current diamond league is the top 8% of the playerbase, almost half of the current diamond league should advance to masters. offhand, i can think of about 6 gaffers who should easily make masters in NA.

Can anyone recommend some good websites for tips on playing multiplayer versus?

I've mainly just been playing campaign but the practice match and a few versus AI games I played were horrible. Also what is the best way to learn, practice against the AI or just use the 50 practice matches against another person?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
What race do you play? I would only play a couple of the practice maps, they're on modified maps and are played at Normal.

I tried Zerg but had no clue what I was doing. I should just stick with ter at first since I'm familiar with them from the campaign.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Cellbomber said:
I tried Zerg but had no clue what I was doing. I should just stick with ter at first since I'm familiar with them from the campaign.

Play against easy AI to get a feel for all the races. Really it's the only way to get Multiplayer. First learn the basics of all 3 races, how they work, what they can do and what they can't.

You don't have to know all the stats, but for example you should know that a viking has more range than a mutalisk or corruptor, and equal range to a carrier before he launched his interceptors.

Once you played all three races and understood how they work, pick one and stick with it. Play against harder AI and finally against real players. You can look up various build orders on the Internet (liquipedia) but at first, the most important thing to know for multiplayer is:

Build Drones/Probes/SCVs constantly,
build Pylons/Overlords/Supply Depots constantly,
keep you money low at all times (below 500 if possible)

You will quickly learn how many barracks you have to build that you can support with your income from one base (hint: it's 3 when you have 1 reactor and 2 tech labs for marauders, it's 6 without addons and constant marine pumping)

Just play and you'll find out.
Once these basics work, you can try to do funky stuff :D

Also always ask for advice if you need help. People will gladly help you.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
zlatko said:
Am I seeing too many 0's or something? I had no clue SC2 tournies give out that big of a pay out. I was under the impression like the highest it got was $5,000 and there's like 5-6 of those spread out throughout a year, while the rest are smaller pay outs.

What's the highest pay out for a single tournament this year in SC2?
TSL2 was brood war and had payout of 10,000 $. But ya, gsl gives like 87,000 $ to winner.

Also I bet MLG will offer large prize pools this year. They see the huge audience and market for it and can finally plan for it.

Spl1nter

Des0lar said:
Build Drones/Probes/SCVs constantly,

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS.

Playing zerg in a similar style to the other two races with only trickling a few drones in with each batch of larvae is bad, very bad. You will hit a wall with your performance and not be able to improve. Droning is extremely difficult. Pro and very high level players know how to trickle the right number of drones in at specific times in the mid-late game. You do not understand those timings. Either make drones or make units, dont try to mix mash especially in the early game. You will find your economy is extremely weak for almost no reason. Its because of you trying to make drones and units at the same time. The only way to learn is to play and with scouting figure out when you can drone and when you cannot. Its what makes zvz such a difficult match up.

Playing at the diamond level my ability to know when to drone and not to drone is still atrocious. It is an extremely difficult concept.

Spl1nter

Cellbomber said:
Can anyone recommend some good websites for tips on playing multiplayer versus?

Pick a single race and play it. When you chosen that race ask us for some build orders. Follow those build orders and then join us on GAF. We will help guide you through a game and how to improve your play.

Spl1nter said:
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS.

Playing zerg in a similar style to the other two races with only trickling a few drones in with each batch of larvae is bad, very bad. You will hit a wall with your performance and not be able to improve. Droning is extremely difficult. Pro and very high level players know how to trickle the right number of drones in at specific times in the mid-late game. You do not understand those timings. Either make drones or make units, dont try to mix mash especially in the early game. You will find your economy is extremely weak for almost no reason. It because of you trying to make drones and units at the same time. The only way to learn is to play and with scouting figure out when you can drone and when you cannot. Its what makes zvz such a difficult match up.

Playing at the diamond level my ability to know when to drone and not to drone is still atrocious. It is an extremely difficult concept.
Yes. Day9 has a good daily on this subject which I recommend to any Zerg player. Definitely improved my understanding of when to pump drones and when to get units.

zlatko

Banned
Cellbomber said:
Thanks for the tips and advice. I'll try to pop in here more often so I'm sure I'll have more questions. :D

Another thing I would recommend since you're in the early stages of learning the game like myself is to set the controls to the Grid option. This makes it so you can play all 3 races much easier on how it will map your keys for you. It'll use these keys:
QWERT
ASDFG
ZXCVB

So you can use your left hand to issue out commands. So to make a SCV with Terran it's usually set to S on the keyboard if I remember right, and Probe is something different too. Now it will be Q for both. It's also set up so for example you click a SCV to build, and you see all the building options on top middle and bottom row, and they correspond in order/row of the keys set up. So a refinery to get gas is the second on the first row, so you hit W for it. It takes a little bit to re adjust from playing the campaign with the standard set up, but you will thank yourself in the long run switching it to this.

Spl1nter

If you are beginner which it sounds like you are and want to play zerg I would first play Terran till you are able to grasp a number of basic rts mechanics and fundamentals. Then you can switch over to zerg. There is so much to do with zerg that it is probably better to learn the very basic with another race and then transition over.

nilbog21

Banned
Mr Cola said:
So Did anyone here set themself the challenge of getting into the master/gm leagues next reset? How are you doing? Im thinking about going on a big run to push into the master league on US over the next few days :eek:

i'm gona try @_@
but i hav no practice partners :[

Cheeto

Pandaman said:
why kill it at all?
just deathlock him in and sit back and laugh.
right cheeto? :p contain and cut of anything that sticks out.
RIGHT! Only when I can actually pay attention and react to the mini-map though

Feep

Banned
If the top 8% of all players are currently diamond, and that's changing to the top 20% of players are diamond, there is no way I won't make Diamond league, I think. I'm definitely in the upper-half of platinum, and I beat 1800-2000 diamonds about 50/50.

(Right?)

jasonng

Spl1nter said:
Pick a single race and play it. When you chosen that race ask us for some build orders. Follow those build orders and then join us on GAF. We will help guide you through a game and how to improve your play.

Kinda ironic coming from you.

Feep said:
If the top 8% of all players are currently diamond, and that's changing to the top 20% of players are diamond, there is no way I won't make Diamond league, I think. I'm definitely in the upper-half of platinum, and I beat 1800-2000 diamonds about 50/50.

(Right?)

diamond league is a joke-hell if anything league as of right now isn't a good representation of how good a person is (hopefully the new leagues do give some indication-but i'm not holding my breath)

if anything there's nothing but people who cheese in here. there's a few people that are actually legitimately good that i've been in but they're pretty rare from the games ive played (1000+)

HolyCheck

TheThunder said:
which ones ?

Gamecune was $10k first place in Mexico and only TT1 and Fenix attended of anyone notable.

Beeline sc2 tourney for russian only citizens $10.5k first place won by bratok

jasonng

Cheeto said:
For some people, being told that they're a terrible player/person helps them get better :lol

hahah

I had an idea for GAF night, inspired by you and panda. I figured we should dedicate a portion of the night where we do a 1v1 with lower rank players and have two Diamond player coach each one respectively. Not sure how productive it is in improving the lowbies but judging from what happened with your game, I'm sure hilarity will ensue.

Spl1nter

jasonng said:
Kinda ironic coming from you.

I help everyone out by pointing out the flaws in there play. Just depends if I am doing it for entertainment of the group or to improve an individual. My style of coaching differs slightly when i try to entertain

Deadman

Is interesting though that if they want to not disrupt GSL then they either patch tonight or in 1 month.

I imagine they will just disrupt it.

FoxSpirit

PandaPandaPanda said:
diamond league is a joke-hell if anything league as of right now isn't a good representation of how good a person is (hopefully the new leagues do give some indication-but i'm not holding my breath)

if anything there's nothing but people who cheese in here. there's a few people that are actually legitimately good that i've been in but they're pretty rare from the games ive played (1000+)

Ah, so you are currently there. Seriously, become better, meet less cheese.

I'm still in SIlver and it's nice: bad cheesers are stuck in bronze or somehwhere below me while the decent cheesers all got to diamond. Not to mention all the "I 4 gated into diamond but now I'm stuck" people.

I have to play more, I wanna meet the cheese ceiling :D

Snow

Pandaman said:
no.
blizzard is restructuring the ladder so that its split in 20%
20% of the playerbase in bronze
20% of the playerbase in silver
20% of the playerbase in gold
20% of the playerbase in plat
20% of the playerbase in diamond[15%]/master[4.99%]/grandmaster[0.01%].
of that 20% of diamond, the top 5% will be masters and the top 200 will be grandmasters.

given that the current diamond league is the top 8% of the playerbase, almost half of the current diamond league should advance to masters. offhand, i can think of about 6 gaffers who should easily make masters in NA.
Pretty sure it's intended to be 20% of the player base already. I know that doesn't matches with what's on SC2ranks, but I'm guessing Blizzard might be doing some filtering for activity to get those percentages. And I think master is top 5% of diamond, top 1% of total player base. I don't think 'almost half of current diamond to masters' is going to happen; they've not been completely consistent in their statements, but I'm pretty sure they intend current top couple percent of diamond to go in.

edit:
Just looked up what they said at Blizzcon, and pretty sure I'm correct.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpAWz18UcB8#t=8m29s for current league distribution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1JTXdpeQPo#t=00m31s on how many percent of total population and how many percent of diamond goes in master

Cheeto

Pandaman said:
morrow give up on zerg?
No idea but that was the most hilarious game I've seen in awhile... he attempted a cannon rush, did a little bit of damage but it ends up being a base trade situation where morrow had 4 stalkers and the other guy had a couple DTs, lots, and stalkers, they spent 10 mins dancing around inside the guy's main sniping buildings and retreating back to his cannons... when he finally takes out the nexus for the 2nd time morrow asks when the carriers are going to stomp him. The guy then tells him that he didn't have enough minerals for an expo, morrow thinks he is going to win then sure enough 200/200 carriers and mothership come in for the kill...

now he says he has been cheesing all night and failing everytime

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sweet mother of God, soon a whole year later and this game is still the best fucking game ever created.

Jesus.

-COOLIO- said:
you know how youre suppose to stop on a losing streak?

FUCK IT

IM 10 GAMES DOWN AND LOVING IT. ITS A RUSSSH

Lol, YES!

After losing SO many matches in a row, I've finally successfully pushed off a 6 Pool/Zerling Rush to Roach Rush. As soon as saw the other player was Zerg, I knew what was coming -- seems to be all the rage in the Bronze league. I also Scouted just to be sure, didn't want to commit to a flawed strategy. So threw up a couple of Gateways and some Pylons, got up a forge and cyber core to tech up. Constant stream of Zealots. Felt good.

zlatko

Banned
I got cannon rushed 3 times today. After the first rush I was like UGH that's what I get for not scouting enough. Second, and third game I scouted like a fucking HAWK, and caught them both times, but both times it was too late on the catch. When I saw it I was like OMG NOT AGAIN :O :O :O /panic /panic /panic FUCK I FORGOT TO BUILD SHIT WHILE I SCOUTING PANICKING /panic now about that /panic more ..... MASS GATE BUILD. LMAO!

So what did I do? Next game I cannon rushed the poor guy---and I didn't even know HOW to do it I just sorta winged it. I think it was on blistering sands too or whatever, so I build cannons outside both the exits, and got lucky that I left 1 probe up the ramp to keep building, because I realized as I did a few cannons---shit I can't get up the ramp now LMAO.

The poor Zerg guy lost to a super half assed cannon rush.

I've won a total of 23 games now out of like 62 or something. So my win/loss is going great compared to a few days ago where I was like 4 wins and 30 some losses. Loving protoss more and more than the other two races. Plus, the 4 gate build leaves me so many options to play the game better and react to what I see scouted. I can expand without feeling iffy about it.

Oh and I stumbled across day9 on youtube. He's seriously the most amazing/entertaining thing to enter my life since Lost wrapped up its final season. :lol

Majine

Banned
This is why I'm so fucking paranoid when facing toss, instantly pulling an scv to scout my ramp for uninvited guests.

Awesome. Sounds like you were having a blasting and showing signs of overall improvement. I think I have Bronze level Zerg figured out but Turtle/Cloaked Banshee base attack and Mass Marine/Marauder Terran are giving trouble. I didn't catch the cloaked banshees thanks to my lack of Observer(s) and/or Probes, I also failed to properly scout both matches. I usually stick to 3 Gate Robotech, but I always go immortals first and tend to completely forget about the observer.

As for MMM (Ugh), I need to improve my micro some. I usually use Colossus for these engagements -- I think High Templar would be better suited given the speed of MMMs. Keep HT to the Rear and my cluster Stalkers, Zealot, maybe Immortals up front. But my lame Micro skills are holding me back on this one. I have a hard time commanding more than one :|

HolyCheck

Just a notice for the cool kids who actually play SC2

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417258&page=2
The proper 2011 GSL season kicks off in 35 minutes!
JqEdB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom