• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

zlatko said:
I'm just confused by how points are totaled. I actually got a couple wins that resulted in gaining 20 points even though I was favored. It's confusing. I appreciate though if I lose in this game it's my own fault to a full extent, where as a FPS or a fighting game has that random factor that can really play too big of a role sometimes with things like auto aim funkiness or lag.

I'm def. getting my skill up. More control groups, more scouting, keeping my money low by spending it, watching more replays/tutorial videos, and getting much better at executing build orders.

It is okay then. Just do not be afraid to be more creative even in ladder games. I have been a very solid platinum player before I switched to random, then Toss, fall back to Gold. Then I got back to platinum, again as a Zerg. Now I have been again experimenting with Toss, and back to gold, my ratio is below 50% :D But I do not care, as a week of playing Zerg would get me to Plat. My goal is different this time, not the league type.

Points are kinda fuzzy right now due to the fact that if you do not play for a day, and win, "rested xp" helps you more than a lose hurts.

zlatko

Banned
V_Arnold said:
It is okay then. Just do not be afraid to be more creative even in ladder games. I have been a very solid platinum player before I switched to random, then Toss, fall back to Gold. Then I got back to platinum, again as a Zerg. Now I have been again experimenting with Toss, and back to gold, my ratio is below 50% :D But I do not care, as a week of playing Zerg would get me to Plat. My goal is different this time, not the league type.

Points are kinda fuzzy right now due to the fact that if you do not play for a day, and win, "rested xp" helps you more than a lose hurts.

They have the WoW rested experience in SC2 as well? Haha. :lol My focus right now is learning. I have a jiggaton of free time with no college this semester, no work, and living at home with the folks. That's right limitless SC2 for me so I can learn at an expanded rate. :D

I have a random set of scrub questions for anyone---how do you effectively split up probes for mining both at the start of the game, and as the game goes on? When I start, i quickly pick my Nexus, and issue make a probe and set the rally point to the middle mineral area. After that 1-2 second to do that, I highlight and pick the top 3 probes and make them into a control group, send them to the farthest mineral, then do the same with the other 3 probes, and pick the opposite farthest mineral there on the line. This probably takes a total of 6 seconds. Is there a faster way to select them all and split them up quickly? I generally lave the rally point from the nexus there in the middle mineral node. Should I be doing something differently?

That was the first question....but with a buncha other questions involving it haha. The second is just if I have a giant control group of units, and just want to select a specific unit type, what do I do? I generally have stalkers + collosi + something else, and I can't Blink my stalkers. Is the only option to make the stalkers their own control group?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
I generally have stalkers + collosi + something else, and I can't Blink my stalkers. Is the only option to make the stalkers their own control group?
tab cycles through castable abilities.

zlatko said:
They have the WoW rested experience in SC2 as well? Haha. :lol My focus right now is learning. I have a jiggaton of free time with no college this semester, no work, and living at home with the folks. That's right limitless SC2 for me so I can learn at an expanded rate. :D

I have a random set of scrub questions for anyone---how do you effectively split up probes for mining both at the start of the game, and as the game goes on? When I start, i quickly pick my Nexus, and issue make a probe and set the rally point to the middle mineral area. After that 1-2 second to do that, I highlight and pick the top 3 probes and make them into a control group, send them to the farthest mineral, then do the same with the other 3 probes, and pick the opposite farthest mineral there on the line. This probably takes a total of 6 seconds. Is there a faster way to select them all and split them up quickly? I generally lave the rally point from the nexus there in the middle mineral node. Should I be doing something differently?

That was the first question....but with a buncha other questions involving it haha. The second is just if I have a giant control group of units, and just want to select a specific unit type, what do I do? I generally have stalkers + collosi + something else, and I can't Blink my stalkers. Is the only option to make the stalkers their own control group?

1. probes will automatically find free nodes to mine. You don't need to assign them, just set the rally point in the middle node of the mineral line.

2. Use tab to toggle through different units within a selected group.

zlatko

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
1. probes will automatically find free nodes to mine. You don't need to assign them, just set the rally point in the middle node of the mineral line.

2. Use tab to toggle through different units within a selected group.

Okay, cool. I should also ask I believe I heard on a video somewhere you can click on say 1 probe, and then hit something so it selects every other probe around it in the same area for you. What's the keys to do that instead of trying to manually click/drag select all of them at once?

Cheeto

zlatko said:
Okay, cool. I should also ask I believe I heard on a video somewhere you can click on say 1 probe, and then hit something so it selects every other probe around it in the same area for you. What's the keys to do that instead of trying to manually click/drag select all of them at once?
If you hold CTRL while you click on something it selects all of the same unit in the screen area. Double clicking also works the same way.

zlatko

Banned
Cheeto said:
If you hold CTRL while you click on something it selects all of the same unit in the screen area. Double clicking also works the same way.

Alright that will help with those pesky moments where Mutas come over a mineral line and I try to scramble to get them out of there. :lol

<3 SC2 Gaf. You guys are the most helpful wizards on the internet. :D

ultron87

zlatko said:
*probe split questions*

I believe the most efficient way to do this is the following from the game start:

1) Build Probe at Nexus
2) Select all probes, send to middle mineral patch.
3) Set Nexus rally point to an unused patch.

You can cycle the rally point around as your first few probes complete until all patches have at least 1 miner, and then you are pretty safe with just leaving it at the center patch.

I believe it's been proven that right clicking the center patch or splitting them half and half results in pretty much identical amounts of minerals. So don't worry about splitting the initial six. The important thing is to start building your first worker and then to immediately get all your workers mining.

In how you described your process I'd send workers to mining before setting the Nexus' rally point, since you have 30 seconds to do that before the first probe comes out.

Deadman

ultron87 said:
I believe the most efficient way to do this is the following from the game start:

1) Build Probe at Nexus
2) Select all probes, send to middle mineral patch.
3) Set Nexus rally point to an unused patch.

You can cycle the rally point around as your first few probes complete until all patches have at least 1 miner, and then you are pretty safe with just leaving it at the center patch.

I believe it's been proven that right clicking the center patch or splitting them half and half results in pretty much identical amounts of minerals. So don't worry about splitting the initial six. The important thing is to start building your first worker and then to immediately get all your workers mining.

Yes this is all correct.

I still do the 3/3 split for fun, but the mining speed is identical whatever split you do as long as you make the worker first.

Aylinato said:
ill be playing team games again tonight in order to get artanis(eventually, less than 750 to go!)
I've been out of the loop for a while. Are you talking about the profile picture reward? Are those the only rewards in the game?

Played about 10 games yesterday and barely managed to scrape by with 1 victory. :lol

It's gonna take forever to rank down to silver or gold where I belong.

Yeah but that's boring. I'd rather actually try, and maybe learn some stuff about what I'm doing wrong by getting my ass handed to me by players who actually belong in Platinum.

It's a serious problem with the matchmaking in the game if you ask me...just 5 placements isn't enough when it could end up sticking you where you don't belong after 4 or 5 lucky wins. But compared to my team games, my 1v1 record is miniscule so it's probably not as much of a problem if you 1v1 more regularly. But it definitely helped me be even less enthusiastic about continuing my 1v1 career.

Pandaman said:
tab cycles through castable abilities.

And this will certainly come in handy. I watched LiquidRet stream last night (Zerg), the level of precision, Macro/Micro on an insane level. He completely wrecked Diamond ranked Terrans -- they lost before the match started (They all generally stuck to the same strategy/build). He had a interesting ZvZ match, though the opposition clearly didn't stand a chance. It still amazes how someone is able to equally divide their attention to Macro/Micro/Scouting with such ease (?).

Edit: Zlatko, I just added you to my FL. I'm Chmstry.

droopy

Pai Pai Master said:
Played about 10 games yesterday and barely managed to scrape by with 1 victory. :lol

It's gonna take forever to rank down to silver or gold where I belong.

On the plus side you are often matched up with people outside of your league anyways so your ride to silver or gold will most likely be littered with silver and bronze opponents.

Oh so I'm sucking against people in lower leagues too?

I dunno what's happened to me in my absense...I was pretty good before. :lol I can kick some pretty decent ass in 2v2 with my bud but when I'm on my own I just lock up and do so much stupid shit, my macro falls to pieces in the early game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I swear every time I go to ladder I end up watching a stream instead, haven't played a single game in like 3 days now. TLO needs to switch to the English client or put music on, sounds ridiculous in German.

ZvZ Lesson with Ret http://mrbitter.blip.tv/file/4587829/

jasonng

Corran Horn said:
Needs more insults.

He just needs to yell at one of us for a recharge. I think if it wasn't for GAF nights, I'd probably would've stopped playing sc2 multiplayer altogether by now.

@Coolio, nothing official tonight but you'll probably see a few online. I may be on and in mumble later tonight. I do feel the urge to ladder.

Cheeto

Spl1nter said:
Played a second game and it went even fucking worse. Just complete ass. Guess im not feeling it today.
You are a bad and you should feel bad

Aylinato
I'll try to be online whenever I'm at the computer, but if I'm online then that probably means I'm spending time with the misses. She'll be tired and probably goto bed somewhat early though

Deadman

Day[9] Daily #232 - Special: eSports and 2011

"Hear a fun, exciting little talk about all the great stuff planned in the coming year and how YOU can be part of it. "

zlatko

Banned
The best two things ever happened today so far. I was totally screwed one game, but the other guy didn't realize it, and thought he was the one in the shit spot if the game kept going on so he GGed out. Then just a few minutes ago, I was about to lose hard to just mass mariners and marauders with medivacs. He stopped me from expanding, so my minerals/gas was not good to keep pumping out stalkers to stop him from destroying that expo. As he was coming in with his deathball, the game freezes up and says it's being slowed down by him----and 30 seconds go by then BOOM says he quits cuz of d/c. :D

Ecto311

This game has ingame chat right? I have tried out the not gaf mumble and it works great but what's the point? Is the ingame dogshit compared?

Also if someone wants a bronze Terran to play with/against I'm around in the morning/mid day as ectoprime.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ecto311 said:
This game has ingame chat right? I have tried out the not gaf mumble and it works great but what's the point? Is the ingame dogshit compared?

Also if someone wants a bronze Terran to play with/against I'm around in the morning/mid day as ectoprime.
ingame is only permament in party mode, and you cant have large parties or create games on maps with a playercount lower than your party count.

so yeah, its shit.

zlatko

Banned
Ecto311 said:

Add me I'm a bronze Protoss. So I could always go for a best of 3 scenario when you want.

Outlaw#812

zlatko

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
And this will certainly come in handy. I watched LiquidRet stream last night (Zerg), the level of precision, Macro/Micro on an insane level. He completely wrecked Diamond ranked Terrans -- they lost before the match started (They all generally stuck to the same strategy/build). He had a interesting ZvZ match, though the opposition clearly didn't stand a chance. It still amazes how someone is able to equally divide their attention to Macro/Micro/Scouting with such ease (?).

Edit: Zlatko, I just added you to my FL. I'm Chmstry.

I didn't get a friend request from anyone. You sure you did it right?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Pankaks said:
Damnit I only caught the ending of the "announcement" >_<. Oh well archive should be up soon.

Wasn't too much, but on what it was it was exciting. Said he wants to use the brilliant sc2 community (I assume reddit over TL... as TL are not the brightest bunch...) to do projects, and act as a captain, ie every month or two he'll put forward an idea for something.. and as a community they can all work on it.

that and he's going to live off of donations for food so he can use his spare time doing sc2 shit :lol :lol

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
zlatko said:
I didn't get a friend request from anyone. You sure you did it right?

you don't get friend requests, it simply adds the person he'll need to message you in game, or tell you his code on here too

zlatko

Banned
HolyCheck said:
you don't get friend requests, it simply adds the person he'll need to message you in game, or tell you his code on here too

Ah okay so I need his code got it. :)

I also just really effectively beat a Zerg on jungle basin who had the profile pic for 100 protoss wins in team battles, so I thought I was going to be beaten. I did a cannon rush, which failed, but saw the speedlings, so I walled off and set up cannons at home. I then went to 4 gate, expanded, held of another rush of lings. Scouted a cpl times, and managed to catch the nydus worm. Quickly set up pylons/cannons near the edges of my bases, and it killed it when it popped. After that I took about 4 collasi, 4 probes, tons of stalkers, and went for the kill. Had a back up army ready in case it failed.

Feels good man. :)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
anyone else feel that mass roach is waaaay too effective now with the range increase? i mean considering they can just burrow under an army and pop up, they can cover waaaay too much range.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-COOLIO- said:
anyone else feel that mass roach is waaaay too effective now with the range increase? i mean considering they can just burrow under an army and pop up, they can cover waaaay too much range.
no.

how can you not notice a massive ball of burrowed roaches moving towards your army? :\

Q8D3vil

-COOLIO- said:
i've been experimenting a lot in the tester.
if you have 7 siege tanks with like 10 marines for spotting than you can beat 3000 mineral army worth of roaches.
they key is to focus fire the roaches in the middle in the army with siege tanks for splash damage.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
-COOLIO- said:
At first I didnt like it. Was harder to cannon expo at first but things evolve. Burrow roaches I dont care about though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom