• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
I swear I have Gracken syndrome. When I win I'm like "meh yah whatever," and when I lose I'm like, "FUCK THIS GAME AND ALL WHO PLAY IT GOD DAMN DOG SHIT RAAAAAWR!"

xD

:( I can't help but get mad when I lose though. It's fuel to get me better, but I hate that I come off as a stubborn whiny bitch. How do manly men get mad without doing so? :D

I had one game today I just couldn't get out of my head. I had it in the bag. My army was huge, upgraded more. Tons of extra minerals, expanded twice. I went to go for his exp and his main, but during that time he went for my natural then my main with nothing but void rays. I was like whatever I got this. Stomp through his main, lose a fair amount of stuff, but still had probably 15 stalkers and a few collasi, as well as some sentries. I then go to where I think he is, same time he takes out the base I didn't finish yet, right as it was about to finish, so I couldn't cancel quick enough. The only building I had left was the nexus that was done with a few drones at it, so I send my army hurdling over there thinking, "Oh you're done now." As I get there it says he wins. I realize I'm an idiot and didn't bother to just add in an extra damn pylon somewhere during this. :/

Never again....never again.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
its because you're at the point where you can recognize your own mistakes but they are still the largest contributing factor towards your losses.

'i did what i was supposed to do' or 'he fucked up' is not the same as 'omg, didnt research stim, wft fuck this shit, void ray rushing scrub if i had scouted that you'd be deaaaaaaad'

zlatko

Banned
Pandaman said:
its because you're at the point where you can recognize your own mistakes but they are still the largest contributing factor towards your losses.

'i did what i was supposed to do' or 'he fucked up' is not the same as 'omg, didnt research stim, wft fuck this shit, void ray rushing scrub if i had scouted that you'd be deaaaaaaad'

Question for you since you play Zerg.

On Steppes Of War today I lost to a zerg player who kept denying me my expansions.

In the start I scouted his base and saw no spawn pool or gas, then saw the early expansion he did. I started to throw zealots at it, and took out a lot of drones, almost got the expo and a ton of zerglings.

At this point I thought I was in the lead, so I macroed up. Got my 24 probes, was up to 4 gate, and decided to go for void rays to keep harassing him. So I push out with a fairly nice sized army to go there, and boom hydras/roaches/lings already. I was like woah. I lose the skrimish and retreat. Seeing I'm a bit behind since he had his expo up, I tried to claim the gold by my main. No dice he sent his army there. I take my void rays to stop his attempt at a gold, then I kill off a buncha drones at his main.

Then I try to expand at my natural...denied there. I cancel it, and go for the gold again, while still adding in units and continuing harassment with voids. The gold got put up, but got destroyed almost right away, because I didn't have enough units there to help defend it.

I just couldn't get any expos up, and my void rays felt like they were a totally money sink since he went hydra before I even went void rays.

Should I have gone Collasi? More warp gate units? GGed even earlier? xD

ezrarh

zlatko said:
Question for you since you play Zerg.

On Steppes Of War today I lost to a zerg player who kept denying me my expansions.

In the start I scouted his base and saw no spawn pool or gas, then saw the early expansion he did. I started to throw zealots at it, and took out a lot of drones, almost got the expo and a ton of zerglings.

At this point I thought I was in the lead, so I macroed up. Got my 24 probes, was up to 4 gate, and decided to go for void rays to keep harassing him. So I push out with a fairly nice sized army to go there, and boom hydras/roaches/lings already. I was like woah. I lose the skrimish and retreat. Seeing I'm a bit behind since he had his expo up, I tried to claim the gold by my main. No dice he sent his army there. I take my void rays to stop his attempt at a gold, then I kill off a buncha drones at his main.

Then I try to expand at my natural...denied there. I cancel it, and go for the gold again, while still adding in units and continuing harassment with voids. The gold got put up, but got destroyed almost right away, because I didn't have enough units there to help defend it.

I just couldn't get any expos up, and my void rays felt like they were a totally money sink since he went hydra before I even went void rays.

Should I have gone Collasi? More warp gate units? GGed even earlier? xD

Why would you go for the gold if he denied your natural. If you don't have the army to defend against whatever he has to throw at you then you're not going to get an expansion up against a competent player. Going voidrays after he already got hydras out is a stupid idea. You're not going to do enough damage to stop the inevitable push. Once he gets hydras up, you have to have an AOE unit because gateway units aren't good enough. (Assuming you're on equal supply)

You generally want to expand when you know he's not going to have a big enough army to attack or when you're attacking. What you don't want to do is illogically throw down an expansion and get it denied because you don't have the army or map control. It appears to me like you still need to work on your transition play. The jist of it seems to be that going voidrays did you no good when you could have teched to colossi or expanded then teched. You have the right idea, early pressure and then use your advantage to get a macro advantage, just stayed on one base to long while he was on 2.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Spl1nter said:
TL open time. Have a feeling i will get demolished in first round lol

you've got no big names or anyone i've heard of in you area of the bracket!

good luck, get atleast a few wins!

(I take it you're spl1nter3)

Spl1nter

I lost. It was a master league zerg but I didnt play that well. First game of the day plus being intimidated a bit by a much higher level player... :(

I know I could of won that game as well if I was playing at 100%. I let my minerals get around 1000 in a zvz in the mid game which is just crazy for me, never have it above 400

Spl1nter said:
I lost. It was a master league zerg but I didnt play that well. First game of the day plus being intimidated a bit by a much higher level player... :(

I know I could of won that game as well if I was playing at 100%. I let my minerals get around 1000 in a zvz in the mid game which is just crazy for me, never have it above 400

think about it this way, 1 week ago, he was only diamond ;)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
nothing quite like nibbling on a gateway with 3 lings and then running by with 20 lings when the zealot moves. >_>

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
nilbog21 said:
does anyone know what it takes to get grand masters exactly? Like a certain number of ladder points?
grand masters is top 200.
masters is top 2% of MMR for active players.

Spl1nter

forcefield energy cost or sentry energy capacity needs to be changed. Such bullshit that protoss can create extremely effective walls no matter the terrain multiple times in a very short time span

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Or simply let FF act as a meatshield that has health

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Spl1nter said:
forcefield energy cost or sentry energy capacity needs to be changed. Such bullshit that protoss can create extremely effective walls no matter the terrain multiple times in a very short time span
psszzzzzzzZ-bitch.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MY GOD, where are my laughing smileys when I need them XD

zlatko

Banned
Spl1nter said:

I suppose I'm a bit bias since I'm a toss player, but I suppose how much energy each sentry can get is a fair nerf. Maybe a better nerf is how fast they regain energy. That way you could try to bait a couple out, pull the army back, and then you know he's got less fields. It'd also force toss to make more sentries instead of better attack units.

Oh and they did that SCV threat generation increase when repairing, so they could do the same with sentries. Maybe make it so if they have energy stocked up their threat is up high, but once they waste it it is low, so your army could focus them down faster in big skrimishes.

Making them too weak would really dampen Toss in the long run.

Spl1nter

zlatko said:
I suppose I'm a bit bias since I'm a toss player, but I suppose how much energy each sentry can get is a fair nerf. Maybe a better nerf is how fast they regain energy. That way you could try to bait a couple out, pull the army back, and then you know he's got less fields. It'd also force toss to make more sentries instead of better attack units.

Ya i dont think the energy cost should increase as you should be able to forcefield when you warp one in but they become so powerful in the mid game when your 6 sentries can place 24 forcefields...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Spl1nter said:
SING IT SISTER, HALLELUJAH.

forcefield should cost 75 energy
sentries should spawn with 75 energy
dont think warp-in guardian shield will make protoss imba as fuck

Meeru

Banned
Spl1nter said:
Ya i dont think the energy cost should increase as you should be able to forcefield when you warp one in but they become so powerful in the mid game when your 6 sentries can place 24 forcefields...
Try using roaches and the burrow. They can move under the ffs.

But make the moment count. These are definitely those trick cards you can use that can make or break your game.

Spl1nter

valenti said:
Try using roaches and the burrow. They can move under the ffs.

But make the moment count. These are definitely those trick cards you can use that can make or break your game.

lol. Spending 150/150 on roach burrow movement is not worth it. They have an obs and its completely useless. Burrow is good enough in the case of any 6 gate type pushes

Meeru

Banned
Spl1nter said:
lol. Spending 150/150 on roach burrow movement is not worth it. They have an obs and its completely useless. Burrow is good enough in the case of any 6 gate type pushes
My other suggestion was to just fight in a very big open field :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Spl1nter said:
yep, nothing burrow move does that burrow alone wont also do.

Spl1nter

Vaporak said:
@Panda, I ragequit like that in PvP sometimes. >.> Non-Terran mirror matches are just so stupid. :(

zvz is fine if you dont fuck up. yet its retarded how easy it is to fuck up.

Tip for lost temple. When they use roaches to break their gold rocks you can pretty much win the game when they try to leave that small choke. How i lost in TLopen and how I just won my zvz lol

zlatko

Banned
valenti said:
Just trying to get a general idea but how often does everyone play here? And is there an eta on the ladder reset?

I play everyday or try to. Join the Gaf chat channel if you haven't already in game.

As for the ladder reset it's 100% up in the air right now, so anyone's guess is as good as someone elses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom