• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
perryfarrell said:
The ladder will not be reset any time soon. But they will reset the ladder at some point in a future patch. See http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1568008036?page=11#215

Don't let your laddering depend upon whether or not there will be a reset--it's silly. Ladder is just ladder, nobody cares about your rank.

Yup. Gotta get that practice in to get better. Easier to be right where you were or even better after a reset if you spent a lot of time playing.

Zen

Banned
valenti said:
Just trying to get a general idea but how often does everyone play here? And is there an eta on the ladder reset?

I play every day. or rather a day when I don't play is an exception. Because of school my matches per day has dropped drastically to about 2 (at minimum), but I'm still playing every day.

Vaporak

Hey, how do you block someone from messaging you now? Some butthurt Zerg is complaining after losing when he was behind on bases all game and the normal way to block people isn't there anymore. >.>

zlatko

Banned
Vaporak said:
Hey, how do you block someone from messaging you now? Some butthurt Zerg is complaining after losing when he was behind on bases all game and the normal way to block people isn't there anymore. >.>

Start hitting on him or stop responding to him. Take 1 second to exit the game, then sign back in usually will stop it.

You'd be surprised how many rage nerds stfu after you go, "So you sound pretty hot. I'm wearing nothing but boxers and a trainer bra. Wanna cyber?"

:)

Edit: Although I am really curious how you do block someone the right way. I thought it was just right click their name in the chat box.

IceMarker

Vaporak said:
Right Click his name anywhere you see it -> Block Communication

Vaporak

MrMister said:
Right Click his name anywhere you see it -> Block Communication

Gotcha, there used to be a little pop out bar on the side of the chats for that stuff, wonder why they changed that.

zlatko

Banned
Vaporak said:
Gotcha, there used to be a little pop out bar on the side of the chats for that stuff, wonder why they changed that.

To encourage my creeper approach to stopping internet rage. :D

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I started playing against real people (I've only been playing as protoss so far), and it's a whole lot different than playing against the AI. I'm doing the practice league for now, and am 2 and 3 in my first five matches. About the only thing I don't like about the matches at this point is that there's all those rocks everywhere, so it turns into a race to see who can make the biggest air force the fastest. Most of my matches have been Protoss vs Protoss, with one or two terran fights in there.

I'd make sure to send an observer over to see what the other player was up to, and I'd regularly see a big mass of void rays forming. Admittedly, I wound up doing the same, since it makes it a lot easier than slowly plowing through all those rocks so ground troops can get through.

Had one opponent that fast-tracked to colossi, and sent a couple in now and then to harass my drones, and he wound up making a huge army of archons that I didn't know what to do with, especially since most of my forces were void rays, and they weren't putting much of a dent in those things.

It's been interesting seeing what real people throw at me, but I do hope there aren't too many more matches with those boulders blocking ground troops. It just seems unrealistic in that setting for getting used to what I'll find in more normal matches. It's only the first five games that are like this right? In any case, I fully expect to get my ass handed to me plenty more times in the coming weeks, but every match has been a learning experience, so hopefully I'll get a little better every time that I play. =)

IceMarker

Mr Nash said:
I started playing against real people (I've only been playing as protoss so far), and it's a whole lot different than playing against the AI. I'm doing the practice league for now, and am 2 and 3 in my first five matches. About the only thing I don't like about the matches at this point is that there's all those rocks everywhere, so it turns into a race to see who can make the biggest air force the fastest. Most of my matches have been Protoss vs Protoss, with one or two terran fights in there.
Practice league has seperate ladder maps called 'Novice' maps which includes more rocks to encourage turtling and teching more and prevents super-early rushes. It's better to just go join a custom game on a ladder map as practice.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Deadman said:
Regarding zvz^^ has anyone tried the strategy day9 went over last week? It involves fast roaches to hold of any ling/baneling rubbish and a fast lair to get some nice units before expanding.

Link: http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/4612990/
Hahahaha wow! I need to try this out.

Deadman said:
Regarding zvz^^ has anyone tried the strategy day9 went over last week? It involves fast roaches to hold off any ling/baneling rubbish and a fast lair to get some nice units before expanding.

as long as the overlord pathway to your enemy is spotless, it's viable. it's only really vulernable to a substantial roach push, which, if it should happen, you can easily fend off if you stop the teching and start to produce an infinite amount of roaches.

twofold

What's the appropriate counter to HT + storms as Zerg?

I just played a game where the Protoss turtled with mass storms. They cut through my army like a hot knife through butter. I still won by grabbing 5 bases against his 3 and threw millions of Roaches at him, but even with two armour they died stupid quick.

Also -- just tried the day9 ZvZ build. Love it. Use your Mutas for map control and to deny your opponent a third. Meanwhile, you saturate your bases, grab a third and work towards Roach/Infestor with upgrades.

Spl1nter

Deadman said:
Regarding zvz^^ has anyone tried the strategy day9 went over last week? It involves fast roaches to hold off any ling/baneling rubbish and a fast lair to get some nice units before expanding.

personally I am more a fan of hatch first openings with fast roaches. Its pretty easy to hold off one base pushes and you are ahead economically which is very important in zvz

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
twofold said:
What's the appropriate counter to HT + storms as Zerg?

I just played a game where the Protoss turtled with mass storms. They cut through my army like a hot knife through butter. I still won by grabbing 5 bases against his 3 and threw millions of Roaches at him, but even with two armour they died stupid quick.

Also -- just tried the day9 ZvZ build. Love it. Use your Mutas for map control and to deny your opponent a third. Meanwhile, you saturate your bases, grab a third and work towards Roach/Infestor with upgrades.

Honestly? I don't know.

As a Toss player myself (high Gold so take it with a grain of salt), once I tech up to Storm+Amulet I feel invincible.

-Ultras don't scare me since they die so fast to my Immortals and Collosi
-Ling, Roach, Hydra melt like butter
-Mutas with good control can dodge storms decently but it just delays the inevitable

The only unit that would seriously worry me is Broodlords however, blink stalkers can deal with those just fine.

*cue Panda/Splinter.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just tried out a ZvZ and did the roach thing (teching to Lair asap)...

it worked great, hahaha! Diamond zerg too~

twofold

Spl1nter said:
personally I am more a fan of hatch first openings with fast roaches. Its pretty easy to hold off one base pushes and you are ahead economically which is very important in zvz

That's the main weakness of the build, I feel.

I usually go Speedling Expand/15 hatch into Roach/Ling. If I saw someone doing the d9 build, I'd mass drone, sac an overlord around the 6 minute mark to see if there's a spire going up and react accordingly.

Still, it definitely feels like a strong, viable build. I'm going to run it for another ten or so games and see how I feel about it then. It just feels weird to play so defensively - I prefer to play ZvZ on the offensive.

Birdman02

I picked up this game a few weeks ago. I've mainly been playing the campaign and a few custom matches against the AI. I've been playing mostly as Protoss because I can't really wrap my ahead around the Zerg mechanics, and I got enough Terran with the campaign. I haven't played any live opponents (until about 30 minutes ago) for fear of being completely dominated, but I decided to play my 1st practice game today.

I pretty much destroyed my opponent (a Terran player), so I was feeling pretty good about myself. After watching the replay, it was pretty clear he didn't really know what he was doing (no hotkeys, no rallypoint from his command center to his minerals, among other things), but it still gave me some confidence to keep playing real people. I'll probably knock out the 5 placement matches in the next day or two, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up in bronze.

I've watched some of the last 2 gaf nights on Corran's stream, but I think I'll actually jump in on the next one (at least as a spectator). My friend code (or whatever it's called) is Birdman.880...feel free to add me if you want another practice partner or want to give me some coaching tips.

Spl1nter

Birdman02 said:
I've watched some of the last 2 gaf nights on Corran's stream, but I think I'll actually jump in on the next one (at least as a spectator). My friend code (or whatever it's called) is Birdman.880...feel free to add me if you want another practice partner or want to give me some coaching tips.

Join the neogaf chat channel. Channel is called NeoGAF. Who would of thought that :)

Aylinato

dear blizzard,

I swear you must hate me, as my last team game you gave me someone on my team who built 4 plyons before any gateway(all at once) then a forge, all to prevent cannon rushing against 1 zerg, 2 terran and 1 protoss

Also, please fix your rating system for team games, as that game was far from "even" as 1 diamond on their team, vs me, and my two bronze allies vs 2 gold is not very "even."

Q8D3vil

Aylinato said:
dear blizzard,

I swear you must hate me, as my last team game you gave me someone on my team who built 4 plyons before any gateway(all at once) then a forge, all to prevent cannon rushing against 1 zerg, 2 terran and 1 protoss

Also, please fix your rating system for team games, as that game was far from "even" as 1 diamond on their team, vs me, and my two bronze allies vs 2 gold is not very "even."
i gave up on random team games because of shit like this.
i suggest playign 2v2 with a friend or just sticking to 1v1.

Aylinato

Q8D3vil said:
i gave up on random team games because of shit like this.
i suggest playign 2v2 with a friend or just sticking to 1v1.

well, im only going to play team games if neogaf people, and none of my friends r on at the moment, also wedge is viewing neogaf and not playing(my brother)

Aylinato said:
dear blizzard,

you do realize some people play team just to troll people

for example slayerscellawerra on his stream when he plays team games(on the us server) he trolls his team mate usually. while it's comical relief for the viewers(and probably him) it's probably nothing but face palms on his ally's end

Aylinato

PandaPandaPanda said:
you do realize some people play team just to troll people

for example slayerscellawerra on his stream when he plays team games(on the us server) he trolls his team mate usually. while it's comical relief for the viewers(and probably him) it's probably nothing but face palms on his ally's end

nah, that dude wasn't trolling, he was just bad

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Neogaf Tourny Videos:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25446857&postcount=108
tourny.png

Round of 16

Blip.tv: http://corran.blip.tv/
Justin.tv Videos: http://www.justin.tv/corran666/videos
Justin.tv Stream: http://www.justin.tv/corran666
Neogaf Replays: http://www.askcorran.com/replays/
-Have replays that are not here and want them to be? Just send them my way and I will upload.

Slavik(P) v BigAT(T) - R16 - SC2 NeoGAF Invitational Tournament
slavik.jpg

Blip.tv - Justin.tv
Replays:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Meeru(T) v Splinter(Z) - R16 - SC2 NeoGAF Invitational Tournament
meeru.jpg

Blip.tv - Justin.tv
Replays:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

PhoenixDark(Z) v Panda(Z) - R16 - SC2 NeoGAF Invitational Tournament
phoenix.jpg

Blip.tv - Justin.tv
Replays:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Hazard(T) v Aylinato(P) - R16 - SC2 NeoGAF Invitational Tournament
hazard.jpg

Blip.tv - Justin.tv
Replays:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Ultron(P) v Terproerg(R) - R16 - SC2 NeoGAF Invitational Tournament
ultron.jpg

Blip.tv - Justin.tv Part 1 - Justin.tv Part 2
Replays:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Vautrin(R) v Coolio(T) - R16 - SC2 NeoGAF Invitational Tournament
vautrin.jpg

Blip.tv - Justin.tv Part 1 - Justin.tv Part 2
Replays:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Jasonng(Z) v Revengeance(P) - R16 - SC2 NeoGAF Invitational Tournament - Scogoth Video
jasonng.jpg

Blip.tv
Replays:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Full Stream:*
Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3
*Will eventually put on blip.tv

Notes:
-I have noticed video quality is best on Justin.tv's website. Not sure why, maybe it is blip.tv processing the files oddly.
-To remain spoiler free, games that ended after the 2nd game, I put a placeholder replay file as Game 3.

Aylinato said:

You see some pretty hilarious stuff in team games. Have you had the terrans who wall in with upgraded supply depots? Honestly even for bronze players i find that to be really bad.

I had this one terran on my team who built a great wall of china out of supply depots. I forget the map but there are 4 starting areas with 2 teams at each and you share a choke point with your ally. He basically built supply depots right along his wall in single file. He also ended up maxing out on depots while he still only had a couple of barracks and hadn't expanded.

Aylinato said:

There is definitely something wrong with the system. I play with my friend (were both diamond) and the teams are generally stacked in our favour. Usually when i check after the match all the high ranking players are on our side. We are also mostly favoured to win (and pretty much do every time).

Yeah there are games where we get 2 bronze players and are put against all diamond/plat but they aren't as common.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ikuu said:
http://www.justin.tv/screddit#/w/767486288

Reddit Invitational finals are on tonight, some show match now with the finals in 2 hours.

Man I've been watching TotalBiscut's videos on youtube for a while now but, his live casting is just on a whole different level.

One of my favorite casters after Tastosis and Day9/Wheat.

Milabrega

The production values on SCReddit's stream/tourney is absolutely incredible. Kudos to them. TotalBiscuit shot up there as one of my favorite commentators and kiwikaki one of my favorite players thanks to that tourney.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Spl1nter said:
I recommend game 1 of Splinter vs Meeru. Only good game the series but I thought one of the best of the tournament
Pfft you better had crushed it considering it was exactly what you practiced against.

My games were sort of entertaining, but watching I played kinda bad. Felt pretty good in game though.

Spl1nter

Hazaro said:
Pfft you better had crushed it considering it was exactly what you practiced against.

I practiced 2 games against something I never played before with 2 people who aren't even able to proficiently play Terran :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Spl1nter said:
I practiced 2 games against something I never played before with 2 people who aren't even able to proficiently play Terran :)
Terran is hard man.

Also Morrow is a beast

twofold

ultron87 said:
Morrow held that 5 gate off like a champ.

Yeah. That was awesome to watch. Morrow's mechanics are insane. His creep spread is unrivaled. He has a tendency to over drone at times, but I'm sure that'll change as he gets more experience playing Zerg.

Bring on game 2.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not sure why, but I seem to have less interest when a tournament is cast from replays.

Meeru

Banned
Tbh I think my play was rather bad in game 1, buildimg only hellion and marauder lol. I was more happy with my play in game 2 ~_~ And game 3, what a big mistake XD

Watching game 2, its embarassing to see those scvs not mining the expo cuz of not lowering the supply depot lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
valenti said:
Tbh I think my play was rather bad in game 1, buildimg only hellion and marauder lol. I was more happy with my play in game 2 ~_~ And game 3, what a big mistake XD

Watching game 2, its embarassing to see those scvs not mining the expo cuz of not lowering the supply depot lol.
It's just because we have high expectations of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom