• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
super noob question: how do I play a squirmish? I want to play just like a multi game, but against AI. I found it with a partner but now I'm alone, can't find a game where I play against AI

krzy123

UnluckyKate said:
super noob question: how do I play a squirmish? I want to play just like a multi game, but against AI. I found it with a partner but now I'm alone, can't find a game where I play against AI

Create Custom game -> pick map -> use +AI button

Who's the other commentator? I recognize the voice, have heard it before but have no idea who he is. And he's also not very good...

EDIT: Yeah, that would make sense. Only watched a handful of his casts, that's why I don't know the name. Not a big fan.

Syth_Blade22 said:
Jesus, the part with Idra :lol :lol

On a more serious note, do you guys think it is worth getting another account to publish more maps and to get more casual play? I used up all my practice matches and got placed into Platinum in my placement matches and now I'm afraid I'm going to get raped repeatedly and without mercy. I also realized I used up all my practice matches on Terran and I've recently had the itch to try out the other races. What are your thoughts?

Blue_Gecko said:

On a more serious note, do you guys think it is worth getting another account to publish more maps and to get more casual play? I used up all my practice matches and got placed into Platinum in my placement matches and now I'm afraid I'm going to get raped repeatedly and without mercy. I also realized I used up all my practice matches on Terran and I've recently had the itch to try out the other races. What are your thoughts?

Don't waste your money buying a new game. Play the game, if you lose a bunch right at the start you'll get knocked down to gold and then play there.

Seriously, your win/loss doesn't matter to anyone. If you only win 40% of the time because you're training with other races or getting cheesed, who cares. You know why you're losing, and nobody is going to look at your profile and then send you messages telling you that you suck. Is it that important to you to have a 75% win ratio?

Fjord

Blue_Gecko said:

Oh you big scaredy cat! Everyone goes 50-50, don't worry about it man, the matchmaking is fantastic. It doesn't really matter what division you're in, your hidden matchmaking rating will keep you winning half the time.

The comments about Gunn on team liquid are pretty funny. I think 'smooth jazz dj' has him nailed. Some people actually like him! Very 'relaxing' hahah.

edit:
'GunRun looks far to cuddly to have such a badass voice'
'Gunrun is so cute!'

:lol

Oh furthermore Gecko I think practice matches can actually hurt your skill level. You'll pick up bad habits with the no rush maps and opponents with no clue.

Blue_Gecko said:

No one gives a shit about your record. Seriously.

If you're not really a Platinum player, you'll get moved into another league when the game realizes you suck.

Nothing stops you from playing custom games to try out other races.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
gunruns voice is why i got capped last month.

I left his stream on as i went to sleep.. thinking it would shut off after the tournament i was watching..

his soothing voice put me to sleep, his stream never ended :(

Also, Blizzard will wipe match records & standings every season. So you'll have a chance to start over.

I think they're implementing this in patch 1.2.

So I did a single player map against 7 Insane AI FFA to get the achievement. I finished it and I didn't get the achievement. Anyone know if this is bugged or something? Pretty annoying to go through all that and get nothing in return.

God damn the stream cut out right at the mothership battle and then started up again when there was like 2 vikings left. I missed everything!!!

I just assume there was a bunch of 1A and maybe a scan. But still, worst timing ever.

EDIT: Nicely done by Kiwi then, gotta cheer on my fellow Canucks. I literally started laughing when day9 was scrolling over the base and in my head I was going "Double Robo all the way! Wait, Fleet Beacon! Wait, Mothership!" and just started cracking up. Love it.

Spl1nter

Kiwikaki won there as he retreated back to the choke point and colosus just destroyed the bunched up terran units. Plus vikings where firing on phoenixes and not collosus. Just good positioning but kiwikaki won the battle and game.

Deadman

Both of these players must watch the day9 daily as they are clearly using the "lose your whole fucking base" strategy.

Man, crazy base race. Love how both players decided to rebuild in the SAME PLACE!

EDIT: Yeah, very Day9 funday style game here.

"The direct counter to losing your base is just to attack at any time" and "So how I win is I just lose my whole fucking base" both in full effect here.

Spl1nter

Deadman said:
Both of these players must watch the day9 daily as they are clearly using the "lose your whole fucking base" strategy.

Also if he doesnt have units just go fucking kill him, which suggy did.

Yaweee

NonseigedTanks, Banelings, Stalkers was too legimatimate of a combo. We crushed our opponents with it, so not even going to bother submitting it.

Our 4v4s have not gone so good, partially because we are Diamond, partially because we pick retarded compositions. I'm really trying to get Corruptors to work, but, uh, yeah, not really happening. You kind of need:
1 anti-Light or AoE
1 anti-Armored
1 anti-Air
1 early defense

SentriesGhostsQueens and SentriesRavensInfestors were awesome replays. Submitted both; hopefully he isn't too picky about sending two replays in one email, or titling it Monday Funday instead of Funday Monday.

Also, I accidentally made some WarpPrisms in one game that I never used. Hopefully I don't get DQed for that.

Fitz

Azwethinkweiz said:
So I did a single player map against 7 Insane AI FFA to get the achievement. I finished it and I didn't get the achievement. Anyone know if this is bugged or something? Pretty annoying to go through all that and get nothing in return.

Did you play the game via Single or Multi player? I don't think you can get any Custom Game achievements via single player.

Sentries are probably my favorite unit to mass for this Funday Monday. The spells are so broken en masse. Ever see what 30 sentries can do with forcefields? It's absolutely ludicrous. And Hallucination can fake out like 6 colossi or a fleet of void rays and just totally fuck with the opponent. Bonus points if you actually build the tech structures for colossi since it forces the enemy to think its real!

EDIT: Lol, what the hell? What did the warp prisms do? Transport an army of probes around the map?

EDIT 2: It never occurred to me to power a cannon or building with a warp prism. That's actually kind of cool.

Fjord

The two I submitted were warpprism/hydra/ghost and warpprism/baneling/infestor/ghost both were pretty awesome.

I actually thought about using warp prisms to do cannon drops (and to mass expand so you can feed your allies).

Archons are so awful in this game. Their unit radius is waaaay too big.

Yaweee

Pyke Presco said:
Sentries are probably my favorite unit to mass for this Funday Monday. The spells are so broken en masse. Ever see what 30 sentries can do with forcefields? It's absolutely ludicrous. And Hallucination can fake out like 6 colossi or a fleet of void rays and just totally fuck with the opponent. Bonus points if you actually build the tech structures for colossi since it forces the enemy to think its real!

EDIT: Lol, what the hell? What did the warp prisms do? Transport an army of probes around the map?

1) Sentries are awesome en masse. COMPLETE DOUBLE BUBBLE WALL against Zealots and Zerglings with 0 losses.

2) Warp Prisms = cannon douching.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i has an apartment.
i has a coffee shop with free wifi within my laptops range.
>_>

woo at being out of homelessgaf! when does the next gsl start anyway? >_>

Fjord

The warp prisms were great, it freed up all my gas for my allies, all my supply for probes. I actually had a higher resource collection rate than 3 of the enemy players combined. I find cannon drops much more elegant than a cannon rush, they're so fast. You pop open drop three cannons instantly and a pylon, move slightly to the side and drop some more as they don't need power to keep warping in. Then you zoom over to repeat on the next guy's base while they're scrambling and your teammates open up nydus worms in the safety of the cannon nest.

Kirashi said:
unrealistic to mass entry coz of the gas cost

No different from anyone massing Phoenix, High Templar, Ghosts or Mutalisks. It's part of the fun. Take an extra base or 2 and use the excess minerals on tons of probes to tnk or cannon the map from end to end. (or feed minerals to your teammates, trade minerals for gas with someone going marines or zerglings, etc)

clav

Who the fuck is this side commentator?

He's the worst Starcraft 2 commentator ever. Someone tell him to shut up.

clav

Zzoram said:
TheGunRun literally just talks to remind us he's there. Day9 says stuff of substance.
Even Husky is better than him. God damn. I hope this guy never shows up to another Starcraft 2 tournament to commentate. Just let Day[9] talk.

Fjord

I'm a bit worried about Gunrun's emotional health when he sees the teamliquid thread.

Here are a few good replays if anyone is interested

A very high level epic 3v3 including players in the top 200. I am way out of my league in this one hahah just look at the APM.
http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=155822

Funday Monday - Ghost/Warp Prism/Hydra
http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=155820

Funday Monday - Ghost/Warp Prism/Baneling/Infestor
http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=155823

Yeah, really not a fan of his style. He basically just spends the entire time backing up day9's statements. When he solo casts he provides a little more insight, but here he is just relegated to saying "Yeah, that sounds about right. I agree with you. Hmm Day, what do you think of this." Just not good synergy between these guys.

Nothing matches Tasteless and Artosis for team casting. Great back and forth, able to both provide insight from different perspectives. This just doesnt mix as well.

I think I'm going to go back to random. =/
I've had a lot of success sticking to one race (toss), but it's just not as fun without the variety.

Anyone have a good generic zerg build that I can use for gold league?

I'm still at the skill stage where I'm only focusing on macro, so my generic "every game" build for toss is 2 gate robo, my terran build is 1/1/1 MMM, but I don't have a zerg equivalent. I don't much like mutas, so I was thinking about infestor-zergling, but I don't know what I should do for anti-air....

clav

SnakeswithLasers said:
I think I'm going to go back to random. =/
I've had a lot of success sticking to one race (toss), but it's just not as fun without the variety.

Anyone have a good generic zerg build that I can use for gold league?

I'm still at the skill stage where I'm only focusing on macro, so my generic "every game" build for toss is 2 gate robo, my terran build is 1/1/1 MMM, but I don't have a zerg equivalent. I don't much like mutas, so I was thinking about infestor-zergling, but I don't know what I should do for anti-air....
Muta ling.

Mystery

ultron87 said:
Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone about that. I don't want more people using it till I figure that damn thing out.

I should probably use more phoenixes.

2 cannons on your main nexus, and go sentry/stalker, and put early zealot pressure on the zerg. If you force him to make more lings than he needs, then he won't have enough money for a lot of mutas early on. You just have to remember to pressure, pressure, pressure.

ultron87 said:
Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone about that. I don't want more people using it till I figure that damn thing out.

I should probably use more phoenixes.

I find I can usually stop Muta's if I just force enough pressure early on. My two main strats against Zerg are DT rush (usually skip on warpgate for the twilight council and dark shrine, research it while the shrine is building and hope 2 gate is enough to buy me time. Keep a probe outside the base and have zealots holding on ramp to fight the lings, since you cant afford the gas for a sentry. Snipe the spire ASAP with the DTs, and then just leave one in his base hitting the mineral line. Always use 1 DT at a time for harassment) and quick phoenix. If you can get 3 phoenix out fast and snipe the queen, you can usually force the zerg player to avoid muta's completely.

EDIT: Note that this is gold level. Strategy may not work at higher levels.

EDIT 2: Jesus HuK, pay attention to your army. The Stalkers did nothing, just A-moved onto the unbuilt CC and lost 4 Colossi to 5 vikings. Sloppy sloppy play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom