• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcrae

i fucking hate FFAs, in all rts games. the chances of me winning are sooo low, i feel like im always going to get double teamed and should just turtle up in order to win... but turtling is such a boring ass style of play... FUCK FFAs :lol

It's not about winning. It's about busting out ridiculous strategies just because you can.

We need more people, only 3 of us so far and it's awfully lonely here.

Oh man, my zerg play is so bad. Just got stomped by Yaweee with his battle cruisers and mad crazy bioballs. I was only on Lair tech at like 150 food. Definitely need to work on that.

elrechazao said:
I disagree, can't stand listening to the glhf guys, his normal partner is annoying as hell.
yeah Margarine or whatever his name is. That dude is so horrible he makes gunrun sound good !!

whats everyones opinions on the new maps, havent had a chance to play in a bit since ive been studying for exams. I've played a couple of customs on jungle before and i kinda likes it as zerg, your third is a bit further/ harder but it seems you can get 2 base going reasonably unmolested.

Trasher

GG guys! You all made me work for that one haha. Crazy amount of Colossi in that game. Had to do it though to melt Corran's massive ball!

That was pretty epic. After my wipe early on I rebuilt on the other side of the map and Trasher and I had an epic showdown. i lsot to DTs though. Looked back at my base to try and fight one colossus and my army disappeared. So sad.

EDIT: Damn, replay wont upload. That makes me sad.

Also, is every single person on GAF except me in diamond? I am feeling seriously outclassed right here...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ok.

WTF.

I decided to do my placement games on the NA server.

On SEA I am mid bronze.

I decided to just do a simple build every game, pretty much just 3 rax marine + marauder.

I am now mid gold, having almost beaten a platinum dude aswell. had I placed a supply depot behind the tall grass on some map near the rocks to my base I woulda had him (my army was moving out, it was a lot smaller than mine)

Now my question: Is it just that the simple marine + marauder +the occasional tank is just too powerful at those lower levels? Is that where the cries of imba come from??

I normaly try to play a 1/1/1 build so I can get a bit creative. I normaly lose, hence my low rating on SEA, but it is more fulfilling.

do people around my level (well let's just say the Terran bastards) just do what i did for an easy win? with a full attack around the 7 - 9 minute mark?

Syth, the truth of the matter is as you get better at playing more and consolidating your build order, you will be able to stomp on people who dont have those skills down. The thing is, the bronze league where you trained you probably lost a bunch so it'll take a while to boost up, but the new account you have all your previous learning available from the get go.

If you can execute a build order, know to get at least one expansion a game and be aggressive while keeping your money low, you are guaranteed to at least be a gold level player. Watch some bronze replays. These guys will have 2000 minerals banked and mine out off one base with tier 1.5 tech, and then be surprised they lose.

Also, yeah, at lower levels an MMM ball is ridiculously powerful. Especially to the players slow to tech who are about 4 minutes behind on reaching tier 2 or 3 because they built a ton of units at the start afraid of an attack.

The 7-9 minute timing window, when a Terran player might be just about to get their first medivac, or the protoss player hits the 4 gate warp in with 2 production cycles, is very often the game ender in gold league. If you can get past that point a lot of players wont know what to do and don't have a plan for any farther, and it's basically just cleanup at that point. Feel comfortable knowing that this is the gold standard, you belong here with us.

EDIT: Also, can NA make SEA accounts now too? If so, how do I do that?

HolyCheck

Pyke Presco said:
Syth, the truth of the matter is as you get better at playing more and consolidating your build order, you will be able to stomp on people who dont have those skills down. The thing is, the bronze league where you trained you probably lost a bunch so it'll take a while to boost up, but the new account you have all your previous learning available from the get go.

If you can execute a build order, know to get at least one expansion a game and be aggressive while keeping your money low, you are guaranteed to at least be a gold level player. Watch some bronze replays. These guys will have 2000 minerals banked and mine out off one base with tier 1.5 tech, and then be surprised they lose.

Also, yeah, at lower levels an MMM ball is ridiculously powerful. Especially to the players slow to tech who are about 4 minutes behind on reaching tier 2 or 3 because they built a ton of units at the start afraid of an attack.

The 7-9 minute timing window, when a Terran player might be just about to get their first medivac, or the protoss player hits the 4 gate warp in with 2 production cycles, is very often the game ender in gold league. If you can get past that point a lot of players wont know what to do and don't have a plan for any farther, and it's basically just cleanup at that point. Feel comfortable knowing that this is the gold standard, you belong here with us.

Awesome :) yes, I've gotten damn good (in my own eyes) not letting my minerals get over 2 - 300 ever. except when i'm saving up to expand. Next step for me is practicing that stage after my first push, when say I can't just destroy them right then and there, I've already got my factory down and during the push starting my starports going up, hot keys are set so it's just a matter of now focusing on when to pull back from a push to set up my 2nd!

go gold league!

I've just been put off the SEA server because my ratio is something shit like 10 - 30, and i've only once ever had a game where i've been "slightly favoured" not even any favoured :(

edit: you can't :p Only SEA can make NA accounts, it's quite cool. our news feed when logged into NA is still the SEA news feed, keeping us up to date on local tourneys and shit.

Syth_Blade22 said:
Ok.

WTF.

I decided to do my placement games on the NA server.

On SEA I am mid bronze.

I decided to just do a simple build every game, pretty much just 3 rax marine + marauder.

I am now mid gold, having almost beaten a platinum dude aswell. had I placed a supply depot behind the tall grass on some map near the rocks to my base I woulda had him (my army was moving out, it was a lot smaller than mine)

Now my question: Is it just that the simple marine + marauder +the occasional tank is just too powerful at those lower levels? Is that where the cries of imba come from??

I normaly try to play a 1/1/1 build so I can get a bit creative. I normaly lose, hence my low rating on SEA, but it is more fulfilling.

do people around my level (well let's just say the Terran bastards) just do what i did for an easy win? with a full attack around the 7 - 9 minute mark?
I placed higher on NA aswell I think mainly because of alot of early losses on SEA you gotta fight you hidden rating back up, I think that keeping your build simple helps alot with how effective you are at controlling your army in lower divisions aswell (MMM, 2gate robo/4gate/5 roach rush/get ling speed before expand)

edit: yeah basically what pyke said

Trasher

Corran Horn said:
Watching baseball game now. I was stupid to attack your colossus with my ball :/
Had you scouted my Colossi at that point? I bought just enough time to get enough out apparently with my Zealots going in to your base. Then luckily you went and finished off Pyke. I think I had 8 or 10 Colossi by the time you attacked me.

And by the time you killed him and asked if the game was over, I was running off two fully saturated bases with a third coming up, 9 colossi and a smattering of chargelots and stalkers. I really should have had an observer or two out scouting around after that point, but I got cocky. Even so, moral of that story is scout!

If anyone had scouted that entire half of the map while I was rebuilding the game could have ended like 20 minutes earlier, but instead you and I got our massive and epic colossi wars going on. So good!

EDIT: Syth, your factory dies just as I make my first push into Trasher's base. I don't think you actually get to see any battles, just my first army build up. We have an epic bout after the factory dies, then he finds my third and wipes it while I rebuild, we have two more epic battles and then he DTs my army to shreds and kills everything in my bases with 1 colossus cuz I have nothing left harvesting. Wish I could upload the replay but it wont do it, giving me errors when I try to on sc2replayed.com. Maybe Trasher can get it up here for all to enjoy.

HolyCheck

vicissitudes said:
No GSL = zzz :(

GSL QUALYS NOW! check gsl thread =D

edit: I'm glad I stayed around with my floating factory of doom, gonna watch and enjoy that replay later lol.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Trasher said:
Had you scouted my Colossi at that point? I bought just enough time to get enough out apparently with my Zealots going in to your base. Then luckily you went and finished off Pyke. I think I had 8 or 10 Colossi by the time you attacked me.
I dont scout at all in FFA or team games :lol

I wanted to snipe your collosus but overstimmed and I think I had mostly marines so I was fucked.

Trasher

Pyke Presco said:
And by the time you killed him and asked if the game was over, I was running off two fully saturated bases with a third coming up, 9 colossi and a smattering of chargelots and stalkers. I really should have had an observer or two out scouting around after that point, but I got cocky. Even so, moral of that story is scout!

If anyone had scouted that entire half of the map while I was rebuilding the game could have ended like 20 minutes earlier, but instead you and I got our massive and epic colossi wars going on. So good!

EDIT: Syth, your factory dies just as I make my first push into Trasher's base. I don't think you actually get to see any battles, just my first army build up. We have an epic bout after the factory dies, then he finds my third and wipes it while I rebuild, we have two more epic battles and then he DTs my army to shreds and kills everything in my bases with 1 colossus cuz I have nothing left harvesting. Wish I could upload the replay but it wont do it, giving me errors when I try to on sc2replayed.com. Maybe Trasher can get it up here for all to enjoy.
Pretty sure the thing that saved me was my level 3 weapon upgrades. It kept those battles we had pretty close even though I was down in supply to you. I still can't believe you were able to rebuild that whole time under the radar. I was convinced the game was over when Corran left. :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Trasher said:
Pretty sure the thing that saved me was my level 3 weapon upgrades. It kept those battles we had pretty close even though I was down in supply to you. I still can't believe you were able to rebuild that whole time under the radar. I was convinced the game was over when Corran left. :lol
I went from 200 max food to like 80 food in mere seconds :lol

HolyCheck

Pyke Presco said:

God damn trasher taking down my factory! it did nothing but dance

Trasher said:

Yeah, watching the replay there is no doubt it was the +3 weapons. The first big colossus battle I was 1/1/1, and you were 3/0/1 (no armor). I lost that twilight council at my main and didnt rebuild it for ages, so couldnt get the +2 and +3. I had more guys, better concave and you still came out with 2 or 3 colossi when I should have had it just looking at numbers. Great stuff, but an absolutely pyrrhic victory for you.

EDIT: I'll play more! Coming back on! Val, log in dude!

HolyCheck

1286592243_1.JPG

:)
posting updates as they are posted on TL in the gsl thread!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406276

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Pyke Presco said:
4gate into whatdoidonow is also popular in plat, its cute but alittle depressing.

last game i played i was tempted to call gg the second i stopped his 4gate because i knew he had no other plans and was just wasting my time. moved a zergling scout in and saw no expand and just smh'd.

Pandaman said:
4gate into whatdoidonow is also popular in plat, its cute but alittle depressing.

last game i played i was tempted to call gg the second i stopped his 4gate because i knew he had no other plans and was just wasting my time. moved a zergling scout in and saw no expand and just smh'd.

I used to like 4gate into expansion. Only problem is that is my tech is so delayed, so I stopped doing that.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
watervengeance said:
I used to like 4gate into expansion. Only problem is that is my tech is so delayed.
does protoss have a notimmediatelydie onebase followup vs mutaling?
because ive never seen one.

Hell, I don't even have a 2 base strategy against Muta-Ling. Muta is the bane of my existence as protoss. If I can't stop the spire I crumble, I usually try to fast phoenix or DT rush against zerg and hope for the best. if they don't go spire I laugh and have fun. if they do, I better hope I'm quick enough.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
phoenix and zealot/sentry 4gate are probably the strongest builds toss has vs mutaling, but if the 4gate fails you lose usually.

watervengeance said:
1 or 2 base Zerg? Archons perhaps? I don't know. I always lose to Mutaling anyway.
templar for storms on the mutas and then archons to tank once there oom (magic box is just as good/evenbetter vs archon splash as it is thors i believe). I usually go roach/ling then into roach/muta and whatever leftover minerals into lings vs toss. Roaches take so long to die vs everything other than voidrays and immortals so i find myself being able to draw out fights and reinforce. The toss will also need to focus his stalkers on the mutas so their bonus damage vs roach doesn't come into play as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom