• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jeff-DSA said:
Is it possible to get out of Bronze before 100 games played? I've been winning far more than losing lately, including wins over silver and gold players and even a platinum player. I think in my 1v1 games I've won something like 18 of my last 22. When can I get out of the Bronze ghetto and move up into the Silver ghetto? I think I'm around 92 games played, so that's why I was wondering if I had to hit 100 or more to change leagues.
yes it is.

on one of my trollo guest pass accounts, i went 0:5 in placement and then started playing seriously. i was promoted out of bronze in about 25 games. made it to plat in 45~ games, ran out of time before i made it into diamond. ;_;

Jeff-DSA

mescalineeyes said:
no one knows.

Well, maybe I'll find out in a few more matches. I highly doubt I'll be staying in Bronze for long either way.

The other question I have is what is a good opening for 2v2? The issue we're running into right now is that if we scout and find the other team going 4 gate, 4 rax, or early pool, than we're typically late to prepare for the rush since we've been doing a standard opening on our side. If we play for the early rush, often times we get burned because we get behind in the tech/macro game. I've yet to find a strategy that's consistent with my playing partner.

For what it's worth, I always play Terran and he always goes Protoss. Seems that we generally win if we don't get hit by early cheese or rushes, but there's so much of it in 2v2 that we struggle.

Spl1nter said:
I doubt it will get you out of silver. Even if it does once it stops becoming effective you will drop right back down. This sort of cheese doesn't exactly make you a better player.

Yeah that's very true. That being said I feel like its imperative to try and disrupt both Zerg or Toss if your Terran early in any way.

ultron87

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah that's very true. That being said I feel like its imperative to try and disrupt both Zerg or Toss if your Terran early in any way.

Especially true for Zerg. But it doesn't have to be anything as extreme as building a barracks in their base. Just sending a few early marines to make them make early lings instead of drones is enough.

ultron87 said:
Especially true for Zerg. But it doesn't have to be anything as extreme as building a barracks in their base. Just sending a few early marines to make them make early lings instead of drones is enough.

With Zerg Ive been throwing a quick hellion to force some zerg production and then immediately going marines / siege and that seems to have been going pretty well lately.

Spl1nter

BruceLeeRoy said:
With Zerg Ive been throwing a quick hellion to force some zerg production and then immediately going marines / siege and that seems to have been going pretty well lately.

you want a winning strat for silver. Reactor hellions into cloak banshee all on one base makes zerg silver players cry.

Spl1nter said:
you want a winning strat for silver. Reactor hellions into cloak banshee all on one base makes zerg silver players cry.

Oooh I like that.

I need to play with some of you guys so I can actually start getting better. I have almost 400 games in silver under my belt and I have been at #1 for the last couple months. Kind of a blessing though since I know the second I get put up to gold I am going to get my ass handed to me.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Normally I'd suggest to stop with the gimmick builds and learn how to actually play the game, but then again you're Terran.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Oooh I like that.

I need to play with some of you guys so I can actually start getting better. I have almost 400 games in silver under my belt and I have been at #1 for the last couple months. Kind of a blessing though since I know the second I get put up to gold I am going to get my ass handed to me.

glad to have you btw :D
hope you can make the OT for Heart of the Swarm ;D

mescalineeyes said:
glad to have you btw :D
hope you can make the OT for Heart of the Swarm ;D

Ahh thanks mescaline we still need to play together. Ill be on Thursday for quite a while if you want to jump on.

I am a blizzard fanboy but I never got into the first Starcraft. I got addicted to Warcraft 2 and then played 3 obsessively. Warcraft 3 plays obviously so differently than SC that it has taken me a while to change my habits. That being said of course Ill do the OT for Heart of the Swarm.

Cheeto

Jeff-DSA said:
Yes, gimmick builds are unique to Terran...
Not unique to terran. However terran at least, isn't punished for them.
spray_trollface_copy.png

Ikuu said:
Normally I'd suggest to stop with the gimmick builds and learn how to actually play the game, but then again you're Terran.

Oh man I didn't realize the Terran group were being hated on. I should have kept that on the down-low.
If it makes you feel any better when I was playing Random in the beginning I had a way higher k/d ratio with Zerg.

Along the same lines outside of watching replays all day long and trying to walk away with good micro and such are there any really solid resources I should be looking at to help me? I already go to Gosu and TL quite a bit.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Oooh I like that.

I don't think it works like that. When you finally get promoted to gold i think you will find you are still facing the same level of people.

The system is most likely already looking at promoting you and i'd say you would be getting matched up against quite a few people who are higher than silver.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ahh thanks mescaline we still need to play together. Ill be on Thursday for quite a while if you want to jump on.

I am a blizzard fanboy but I never got into the first Starcraft. I got addicted to Warcraft 2 and then played 3 obsessively. Warcraft 3 plays obviously so differently than SC that it has taken me a while to change my habits. That being said of course Ill do the OT for Heart of the Swarm.

I never really got far into the MP side of warcraft. I really enjoyed the campaign and spent some time fighting bots but never really went online with it.

Starcraft has always been my go to game when playing RTS's online.

Yeah all my friends except one were all huge into Starcraft so it was just me and one other guy with W3. Though I truly love both of them because they are so different.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah all my friends except one were all huge into Starcraft so it was just me and one other guy with W3. Though I truly love both of them because they are so different.

same.
war 3 is an incredibly beautiful game and I hope one day we'll see a sequel.

on another note, fuck mules.

Didn't War3 sell like crazy? If we take Blizzards track record into account we should be playing as the Demon Hunter's Panda friend by 2040 at the latest.

Deadman

It amuses me when people get mad at losing and start throwing insults when they play really really terribly. "My one base 4 gate into void ray into mass collossus didnt work, no fair!"

Ugh, this sucks, I will probably miss out on GAF night tomorrow, I've got the flu and will probably be sleeping once I get home from work.

Note: I wouldn't be going to work tomorrow but I am supposed to hear about a promotion.

Q8D3vil

Spl1nter said:
this
it worked so well when i was in gold.
but i was expanding if the other player didn't quit and roll him with tanks after 5 minutes.

i also had a lot of success using it against diamond us players 2 days ago.

Spl1nter

Q8D3vil said:
this
it worked so well when i was in gold.
but i was expanding if the other player didn't quit and roll him with tanks after 5 minutes.

i also had a lot of success using it against diamond us players 2 days ago.

no surprise seeing as it gets use at every level including gsl.

ultron87

The Blizzard custom maps they announced at Blizzcon are out except for DOTA.

Starjeweled is fairly entertaining if you enjoy a match 3 game paired up with a tug of war game.

Trying Left 2 Die now.

DaFish

ultron87 said:

Starjeweled is fairly entertaining if you enjoy a match 3 game paired up with a tug of war game.

Trying Left 2 Die now.

StarJeweled fucking rocks!

Sorry about crashing tonight... Guess I need a format soon

Meeru

Banned
ultron87 said:

Trying Left 2 Die now.
What...goodness WHY

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
valenti said:
What...goodness WHY

Because Blizz is afraid to release DotA for fear of balance issues I bet. They utterly failed at wow arena, but then again this is much less complicated, and the less they try to change the more balanced it will probably be. Cross your fingers for the release.

Meeru

Banned
The problem is they only have like fifteen heroes or something..not to mention there's no denying (afaik). No runes, and thr map is totally unlike dota.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
dear god, they know our secrets!

actually, when you think of it as the border between shouta and tsundere canada, chaleur bay suddenly makes sense.

Q8D3vil

Vaporak said:
I'm so happy with the ladder right now, I don't think I've gotten more than 3 or 4 PvP's in my last 20 games.
i've been getting shitloads of tvz in the ladder.
bunker rush, if it didn't work just expand and play a normal game.
just played a legitimate tvz in shakura close position.
gotta love the rocks.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Q8D3vil said:
gotta love the rocks.
ill stop bunker rushing the expo when zerg players start making expos they can defend

Q8D3vil

-COOLIO- said:
ill stop bunker rushing the expo when zerg players start making expos they can defend
seriously, i played against a zerg today who didn't even have an overlord in his natural.
i took my gas and as soon as he exit my base i canceled it and start building another rax.
then went and bunkered his ramp which i thought he will stop by bringing his drones but he didn't even see that (knew that after watching the replay) and as soon as his hatchery finished he saw 2 bunkers and quit the game.
he was diamond player with many many games.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
seriously, i played against a zerg today who didn't even have an overlord in his natural.
i took my gas and as soon as he exit my base i canceled it and start building another rax.
then went and bunkered his ramp which i thought he will stop by bringing his drones but he didn't even see that (knew that after watching the replay) and as soon as his hatchery finished he saw 2 bunkers and quit the game.
he was diamond player with many many games.
your not supposed to put an ovie in your natural versus terran, if terran does a true 2rax and snipes it, you lose.

better to a click the scout scv and keep an eye out for a second one to leave terrans base.

fanboi

Banned
Pandaman said:
thats what the first ovie is for.

'whoops, i rallied to your base, teehee'

Actually you should put your ovi in natural so you can see if he bunker rush you.

Ofc, this is for a short period of time when you are building your FE

And yes, best is to A attack scv that scouts and keep eye out,... but it is more risky

Ikuu

Seems just Jungle Basin was removed from US, guess I'll play that account today.

Q8D3vil said:
gotta love the rocks.

Shakuras is awesome if its close position. Otherwise its a total pain in the ass for terran. Way too big of a map, way too open, rush distance too far.

Regarding early hellions, I've never had luck with it, spine crawlers are always up when I get there and I'm only in gold league. Now a marauder/hellion push however, that is pretty sexy so long at zerg doesn't fast tech to mutas.

Ikuu

Even though I'm terrible, it could be fun to start entering tournaments. Apart from Craft Cup what other tournaments are there for the EU that allow anyone to enter and are held pretty regularly?

TheRagnCajun said:
Shakuras is awesome if its close position. Otherwise its a total pain in the ass for terran. Way too big of a map, way too open, rush distance too far.

awww, poor Terran.

Maybe think about doing another strat than the usual Tank/Thor/Marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom