• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ezrarh said:
Wow Panda. You're taking this way further than it has to be. No one's denying that zerg isn't the hardest race to play at the moment. My previous argument wasn't taking into every external factors you're bringing up. The inherent nature of it is to be able to get a bigger army earlier than zerg and is almost all-inish so of course it will have a timing window where the protoss has a larger army. Otherwise nobody would do it but the longer the protoss fights, zerg will simply outproduce him and can over run with sling/roach. That's all I'm saying. Is it easier to 4gate than whatever else you have to do? Yea sure but at our current level of play, you can overcome it and when whatever issues are addressed, you'll come out better.
i fear arguments are diverging from each other.

ill try to set out some key ideas:
1). 4gate is an allin, its not almost, its all the way. they aren't called derpgate expands for nothing. if 4gate fails and zerg kept his nat, its over and zerg wins without some spectacular fail.

2). while 4gates do grant food advantages, that is not the only reason 4 warpgate is strong. i believe there is also an efficiency advantage at work here when the right conditions are met.

3). i think that the existence of those conditions and exploitation of them make it so that mass sentry/ff spam is not a requirement for safe protoss expands or effective aggression [in zvp].

4). i dont think 4gates are that hard to stop all things considered. speedling crawler into lair tech isnt that complex and it doesnt require a high drone investment.

5). the zerg production argument only holds true because protoss is resource limited realive to zerg in a 4gate vs 2 base situation. this is why i also brought up the 6gate because both players will typically be on equal resources, with zerg sometimes having an unsaturated third [to risky to saturate]. in this situation i feel protoss zealot/gateway demonstrate their viability in situations with low forcefield counts, in these situations with equal production, zerg needs the tech advantage to win, but has better creep to defend itself to prevent the harass weakness of typical 4gates.

6). the closing point of my vanilla zeal/stalker vs vanilla roach/ling example was that the better player wins in these early game/low ff situations. my complaints about forcefields are largely related to sentries that can throw out 4 apiece. early sentry and small forcefield counts already have a counter in burrow, but where burrow should force robo or give zerg map control, sentries reach a critical point where more forcefields just keep solving the problem because they never seem to runout, and this is where its tough to be a zerg.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Yoshichan said:
Hmm, when terran double bunker the ramp against a 15 hatch zerg, what do they gain except a bit of a delay in the zerg play? Should the terran completely fill the bunkers up? What if the zerg goes banelings early and destroys both bunkers + all the marines?

How should the terran go from that point on (when the bunkers are gone)?

Yeah Panda already said it. You forced some stupid tech, like super early banelings, or a lot of roaches or if you destroy it with spine crawlers it will take ages...

So you delayed his expansion, or you forced him to tech into something he didn't want.

Really getting 2 bunkers up at the Zergs ramp is just sooo horrible. As Terran you can expand behind it and will be so far ahead it's ridiculous and most of the time, you can expect some all-in which won't work if you prepare... Easy victory.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks. Will try out some more double bunker games later on today :)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yoshichan said:
Thanks. Will try out some more double bunker games later on today :)
its biggest strength is that zerg cant harass your marines coming in, cant build a queen at the natural and cant surround to easily overwhelm repair rates/attack scv's.

its really a world apart from normal bunker rushes. remember you can always build up 100 life, cancel and start the second to wall early. bringing a second scv very early can be a give away.

as for zergs, drone. patrol. bottom ramp.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
What am I supposed to do when Protoss just gets their huge death ball and just rolls anything you can do?

Q8D3vil

pretty much every conversation I've ever had with Devil up to this point about race balance.
I love the kid, but he's a fucking douche when it comes to this.
you are the douche :(
i want to play my internet is fucked up.

ultron87

Ikuu said:
What am I supposed to do when Protoss just gets their huge death ball and just rolls anything you can do?

If you let Toss get a max supply 'death ball' and you don't have the resources/larva to rebuild your army after the first engagement you're probably going to lose that game.

Ikuu

ultron87 said:
If you let Toss get a max supply 'death ball' and you don't have the resources/larva to rebuild your army after the first engagement you're probably going to lose that game.
So basically if I don't completely outplay my opponent I will lose? Yup, sounds about right for Zerg.

ultron87 said:

I just watched Machine lose a game even though he was on 200 supply during an engagement for over 5 minutes... so I guess you can be a damn good player and still lose.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
I just watched Machine lose a game even though he was on 200 supply during an engagement for over 5 minutes... so I guess you can be a damn good player and still lose.
.. can i watch it too?

Ikuu

mescalineeyes said:
Saw that too, his opponent was pretty good, but it was pretty stupid how easily he just rolls through at the end.

Q8D3vil

Ikuu said:
So basically if I don't completely outplay my opponent I will lose? Yup, sounds about right for Zerg.
no it doesn't mean that.
zerg can expand way easier than the other races late game because they have map control and creep.
its also harder for the other races to expand against zerg for the same reasons ( getting more than 3 bases).
if you engage your enemy at 200 food without having more resources than your opponent to support the 300/200 army then you are the one outplayed here.

Q8D3vil said:
no it doesn't mean that.
zerg can expand way easier than the other races late game because they have map control and creep.
its also harder for the other races to expand against zerg for the same reasons ( getting more than 3 bases).
if you engage your enemy at 200 food without having more resources than your opponent to support the 300/200 army then you are the one outplayed here.

at this point, I don't think your opinion is based on facts.

twofold

Ikuu said:
Playing so so bad today, lost to some truly awful players :(

Same.

I was playing high diamond/masters players and, after losing to three completely unique Terran all-ins, I went on major tilt and lost about 18 out of my last 20 games. I decided to stop playing when the matchmaking system paired me up with a mid platinum Terran and I lost.

Worst Starcraft day of my life. Bah.

I should switch races. Playing Zerg is an exercise in futility and frustration.

Ikuu

Haha, after getting a top 250 EU player last week in Craft Cup I got a top 150 player, as you might expect I lost :p

To be honest most of my loses have been my own fault, lost like 20 drones as I didn't have my natural defended properly and got hit with Hellions, lost a few by focusing on macro too much and losing units as I wasn't paying attention.

twofold

Ikuu said:
Haha, after getting a top 250 EU player last week in Craft Cup I got a top 150 player, as you might expect I lost :p

To be honest most of my loses have been my own fault, lost like 20 drones as I didn't have my natural defended properly and got hit with Hellions, lost a few by focusing on macro too much and losing units as I wasn't paying attention.

See, that's what is annoying me about Zerg at the moment.

The difference between winning and losing is ever so slight. It feels like you're crossing a tightrope over a shark infested pit of water where the slightest wrong step will end in certain death.

Take, for instance, you're playing against a Protoss opponent. You send in an overlord at the 5 minute mark for the sacrificial scouting. You see both gases taken, two gateways, a sentry, a stalker and a zealot before your overlord dies. What do you think he's doing? Is it a delayed 5 warpgate all in? Or a 3 gate expand? Both builds require completely different responses and if you guess wrong - you lose.

It's frustrating me to no end.

Ikuu

The maps really don't help, they're so small that you can scout an attack but have no real chance of getting the proper defense in play for it.

twofold

Ikuu said:
The maps really don't help, they're so small that you can scout an attack but have no real chance of getting the proper defense in play for it.

Agreed. Every map should have a natural-to-natural distance of cross positions metalopolis/shakuras plateau at the very least.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Forgot to upload vods while at work and school.... Doh!

Guess later today, I think finals are up on blip now though.

Also I love the cycles this thread has. Calm for awhile then everyone gets all bitchy :)

Ikuu

I wish they would just make Metal. and to a lesser extent LT like Shakuras and you can't spawn close positions.

Have you had your training with Destiny yet, if not is it being streamed?

Ikuu said:
I wish they would just make Metal. and to a lesser extent LT like Shakuras and you can't spawn close positions.

it's tonight at 4AM eurotrash time :)

also, while I am personally very happy with Shakuras, it's bordering on overkill (but I will never not choose it over any other map in any matchup)

Q8D3vil

Ikuu said:

:D
close position ftw, can't believe i got lucky two times in a row :D

31 vs 14 apm bronze? sorry brah, that doesnt really say much about balance :/

plus it was against P, not Z.

loving the nickname though. I now have the Ecto 1's sirens playing in my head :|

ezrarh

Spl1nter said:
lol at this thread. zvp is not an equal matchup get over it toss

This is my last post on this matter, and this goes to Panda as well, you guys are completely missing my point. I never said toss didn't have an advantage over zerg or mentioned about the overall balance of the matchup. My initial point was that for an equal priced army of zealot/stalker vs roach/sling, roach/sling is stronger. Now, is there an issue with warpgates getting out units faster than zerg can at the beginning? Possibility, but now we're getting into production timing, map positioning, scouting issues, and whatever else. You guys can bring whatever other issues you want into it but that's a whole other argument that I'm not going to get into because I don't play zerg enough to argue every aspect of balance.

edit: This has been stated by others before, but at low levels, the balance issues aren't that important where skill can't overcome it. Sure it might take more work with one race than another but deal with it and you'll come out better for it when the game is further balanced.

Ecto311

mescalineeyes said:

loving the nickname though. I now have the Ecto 1's sirens playing in my head :|

Guess I posted this sounding too serious and in the middle of a conversation about zerg.

This applies to neither. It's meant to be a bit of a joke, the guy attempts to cannon rush me - me using my sc2 skill realize if he is doing that, that early then he has nothing else. I walk around his cannons into his base with 3 marines and kill all his workers then he makes a remark about terran being bullshit and leaves.

Q8D3vil

mescalineeyes said:

bronze days, when my apm was 20 and i was bitching about how op the zerg was (baneling bust days).

Cheeto

Ikuu said:
Use a higher bitrate for the sound, it sounds pretty bad at the moment.
Oh wow, thanks... I was going with the default there did not notice it was 11kbps... up'ed it to 44 should be better

Cheeto

Corran Horn said:
How you like owned? I tried it again today and it lets me record now but quality seems the same to me as other streams i get.
I like the tool better than the hoops I had to jump through to get ustream working... I'm still having issues getting my game FPS to normalize when I'm streaming though. The game also just misses inputs a lot, it's kinda annoying, like I will hit hotkeys to build probes and it takes like 2-3 key presses to get one sometimes.

Ikuu

You can use Xsplit to broadcast to Ustream if you wanted to, also you'll want to disable to hotkeys as they'll mess with the ones in-game. Running the game in Medium seems to work really well for Streaming, you can't tell the difference in quality and the game should run really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom