• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilbog21

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
as far as battles go, i find terran armies to be the most micro intensive, almost every terran unit has a non-autocast skill that you need to be on top off.the ones that dont are hellions and medivacs and those are tough to micro right. and even before you get stim on the infantry you have to scoot and shoot, to deal with lings and lots.

terran only requires "intensive" micro in tvp tho

Aylinato

anyone noticed that the insane AI has been cheating worse than before this last patch?

Like, now the AI goes reapers to counter reapers, and has more units out than normal(i did a cannon rush and it had 6 marines out, instead of the normal 1-2), as well as having roaches before I get my 8pool to their base(like 3-4 roaches)

Though mutas work, but now they use infestors to keep my mutas in place

Spl1nter

Striek said:
Hah, good one.

But I am being serious :(

Ive played all the races and Toss is the easiest. After 5 matches I was beating mid-high diamonds. The same could not be said for zerg or terran.

nilbog21 said:
terran only requires "intensive" micro in tvp tho

I dont know man. Marine splitting is actually really difficult to pull off successfully. TvT is pretty micro heavy with tanks and vikings.

Striek

-COOLIO- said:
as far as battles go, i find terran armies to be the most micro intensive, almost every terran unit has a non-autocast skill that you need to be on top off.the ones that dont are hellions and medivacs and those are tough to micro right. and even before you get stim on the infantry you have to scoot and shoot, to deal with lings and lots.
So you would say terrans unit abilities are harder to control than protosses? An army consisting of forcefield, guardian shield, blink, storm, feedback and graviton beam?

As for microing units, the protoss army is wildly all over the place in terms of movement speed. Stalkers and Colossus are faster than zealots and sentries, so if you a-move across a map you will probably lose, and templar are slow as molasses. The typical TvP composition (MMM, maybe tanks, maybe ghosts) moves more or less at the same speed (medivacs slightly faster). Terrans don't have to worry about unit positioning because they're all ranged and it doesn't really matter whats in front. I really don't think hitting T and kiting zealots is very hard in comparison.

Protoss is allllllll about the unit control/micro. Splitting the army, storming the army, focus firing the anti air, controlling the colossus, making sure your zealots are in front, spending the first 5-10minutes of the game hovering your mouse over the choke with a sentry selected so you don't die immediately to stupid crap your weak army will never be able to cope with...

Trickster said:
I'd love to know where your faith in haypro comes from. He strikes me as a very low tier player compared to pretty much every other "pro" player.
I feel like hes been wrote off far too soon. He lost in his first GSL to cheese from BitByBit and he lost in the last one in whats been a very difficult season for Zergs (against terran and protoss), much the same as Ret and Moonglade.

He hasn't entered that many 'foreign' tournies so he is harder to judge than someone like Kas. Still hes been doing well in the team-leagues and I think his experiences in Korea will pay off.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Striek said:
So you would say terrans unit abilities are harder to control than protosses? An army consisting of forcefield, guardian shield, blink, storm, feedback and graviton beam?
yes

the speed thing sounds like a bitch but yes.

a176

Banned
Striek said:

As for microing units, the protoss army is wildly all over the place in terms of movement speed. Stalkers and Colossus are faster than zealots and sentries, so if you a-move across a map you will probably lose, and templar are slow as molasses. The typical TvP composition (MMM, maybe tanks, maybe ghosts) moves more or less at the same speed (medivacs slightly faster). Terrans don't have to worry about unit positioning because they're all ranged and it doesn't really matter whats in front. I really don't think hitting T and kiting zealots is very hard in comparison.

Protoss is allllllll about the unit control/micro. Splitting the army, storming the army, focus firing the anti air, controlling the colossus, making sure your zealots are in front, spending the first 5-10minutes of the game hovering your mouse over the choke with a sentry selected so you don't die immediately to stupid crap your weak army will never be able to cope with...

I feel like hes been wrote off far too soon. He lost in his first GSL to cheese from BitByBit and he lost in the last one in whats been a very difficult season for Zergs (against terran and protoss), much the same as Ret and Moonglade.

He hasn't entered that many 'foreign' tournies so he is harder to judge than someone like Kas. Still hes been doing well in the team-leagues and I think his experiences in Korea will pay off.

well said. agree 100%

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
having trouble with early mass zealot + 2nd tier unit armies

what does terran do to counter early mass zealot and voidray/collossus/immortal?

a general counter to each would be good since i cant be 100% sure which is coming unless i happen to scan the hidden buildings

Max

I am not Max
Procarbine said:
Max:

Looks like the beginning frame of the animations for downloading and the league medal shine. I have no idea why the animations wouldn't finish.
It isn't frozen it's just that the images arent under the other UI so i'm seeing the bits i'm not supposed to. I tried repair.exe and that did nothing.

Oh well. Maybe it'll go away with the next patch

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
-COOLIO- said:

what does terran do to counter early mass zealot and voidray/collossus/immortal?

a general counter to each would be good since i cant be 100% sure which is coming unless i happen to scan the hidden buildings
3 rax?

Won

Striek said:

I tell you a secret:

All 3 races require proper micro, control and positioning.

Deadman

Slavik81 said:
Oh. Actually, they only need to leave 1 behind. The guy doing the video just left 2.

But still.

You dont have to leave anyone behind, the last stalker just arrives in the base slightly later than the rest. Once all the stalkers are in the base you have vision and can blink everything in at will. 0 cost vs robo or hallucinate.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
so I just "tried out" the new maps... wtf?

I think I'll be back in a couple of weeks again.

IceMarker

92z0v.png

Introduction

Welcome to Nuclear Arcade where nukes fly about as much as lava flows, "Get that shimmer!" is a legitimate catch phrase, and everyone wants to know why on Earth this is so fun! In all seriousness, Nuclear Arcade is the work of a madman who just wants some more explosions in his life, so he creates the Nuke Machine that deploys hyper nukes at an alarming rate, and goes on a rampage on Char with his friends, but it just so happens that another madman did the same thing with his buddies too and now both groups decided to nuke each other.

In Nuclear Arcade, you and up to four teammates are gathered in a 5v5 to decide who is the best armed with Hyper Nukes. These 'Hyper Nukes' travel and deploy 82% faster than your standard Ghost-issued tactical nuke and cause much more havoc in doing so. Armed with the Hyper Nukes deployed from to each his own Nuke Machine, you are given a Spotter and a limited amount of time to nuke as much as possible, Zerg and enemy Spotters alike, in the given amount of time, but as always there are many catches. There are upgrades, abilities, and bonuses you must account for throughout this insane exhibition, and they could make or break your team. Now you have to ask yourself, can you nuke more crap than the lucky punk on the other side(s) of the internet? Well give Nuclear Arcade a chance and that may become clear.

How To Play

You and your team are each given one (1) Nuke Machine with unlimited Hyper Nukes and one (1) Spotter to begin with, which is used to target nukes for your Nuke Machine. At the beginning of the round players vote whether they want to play a standard length game (30 minutes) or if players are in a hurry and quick game (20 minutes). After players are oriented, the Nuke Machine immediately begins building Hyper Nukes and Spotters are sent off to begin to destroy any Zerg forces or enemy Spotters on the field, gaining points and resources.

Alas, everything is not so simple, you, your allies, and your enemies can purchase upgrades and abilities for each others Spotters with the resources you have collected from collectively blowing everything up! After four (4) rounds of Zerg waves (which later rounds involve Overseers that turn the Zerg against your Spotters for once) team scores are tallied and the team that blew up stuff up more efficiently gets the crown of Superior Nuke-Team Alpha.

Map Stats
  • Name: Nuclear Arcade [BETA]
  • Category: Custom
  • Mode: Nuclear Arcade
  • Version: Beta
  • Region(s): NA
  • Players: 4-10 Recommended

Media

http://i.imgur.com/BeT5A.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CWYug.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qngh5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IUhCj.jpg

FAQ

Q: What if the teams are un-even and/or people quit? Won't that make the map unfair?

A: On the contrary having someone leave can be a boon to your team if the player who left was playing badly in the first place, him leaving allows one of your teammates to take control of him and essentially have double the nuke capacity. As for uneven teams, the map has so many close calls that it will be up to each individual lobby to decide what teams are fair, remember that no win is guaranteed unless your team is at least 5000+ points ahead of the other team.

Q: In the introduction you said something about shimmering, what do you mean?

A: In Nuclear Arcade observers (or Spotters) don't have detection like they do in SC2, and therefore only see a 'shimmer' of the enemy spotters, and requires a good eye and some skill to spot and kill enemy Spotters. So remember kids, get that shimmer!

Q: What if I forget anything I read in this thread? Is there any in-game help?

A: Why yes there is! If you need a quick reference guide with even more tips than I could shove in here, hit F12 while in-game to pull open the help menu!

Q: How long do you plan on supporting Nuclear Arcade and how will you be supporting it?

A: Nuclear Arcade will get at least a full year of effort out of me, depending on how well it is received among the greater SC2 community. As for what I'm going to support it with, well many things, including cinematic tutorials, a Solo Mode and Duel Mode, as well as Achievements and High Score keeping. Some other things are in the works, but I will keep them a secret for now.

Conclusion

I've told people several times throughout Nuclear Arcades alpha, this will be the map I want people to get home at night play a few competitive matches of normal SC2 and then go "Damn, let's unwind with a custom map!" and shoot straight for Nuclear Arcade. This is the map where fun factor is a first, not bells or whistles. If you'd like to help me or just try the map out for yourself, spread the word and play Nuclear Arcade today by searching for "Nuclear Arcade" when creating a custom game, or scroll through the Join Game list. Thanks for reading all of this if you did, and I hope you love this map as much as I've had fun making it and will continue to do so.

Feedback, bug reports, and suggestions are always welcome in the thread as well!

Links
Starcraft II Official Forums Thread
TeamLiquid Thread
SC2Mapster Thread

Aylinato

one suggestion: Look at the DoTA (the one on custom maps) to see how they do the respawn thing(as people were mentioning the the hotkey thing)

Spl1nter

-COOLIO- said:

one base or two base from your opponent? Also what is your opening in tvp.

Early mass zealot implies that they dont have charge so they are not as difficult to handle

Striek said:

Protoss is easy to play until low masters or so and the mechanics look easy. We get cheap high HP units, we can warp stuff in anywhere, our units can do cool things like blink and charge etc. Protoss really feels powerful until you realize just how weak our units actually are. Stalkers are a cool unit with their high HP and speed until the midgame when every other race gets faster ranged units. Zealots are cool until you realize that they do literally zero damage against well kited mm. Colossi are cool butt hey were designed to have every weakness in the book. Phoenix lose to properly controlled vikings or corruptors (vikings by just planting over a couple marines).

Protoss can still do fine by just playing well and they aren't particularly weak (FF is pretty amazing, as is our aoe in the right hands). It's just that a lot of the stuff that looks amazing (warp gates, colossi) have serious issues when your opponent knows how to respond.

EDIT: Also, in regards to terran most terran micro is essentially the same. Stim the bio and then just stutter step around. Protos is more about doing the right thing five seconds in advance (get the zealots in front of the stalkers before the fight starts) or very precise abilities (blink, ff, storm).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone else had issues with Battle.net not recording games (only seems to be wins for me), won a few games tonight (all on Scrap Station) that haven't been counted and I'm sure this has happened before.

Deadly

Ikuu said:
Anyone else had issues with Battle.net not recording games (only seems to be wins for me), won a few games tonight (all on Scrap Station) that haven't been counted and I'm sure this has happened before.
Yeah happens sometimes to me too...

Slavik81

Deadman said:
You dont have to leave anyone behind, the last stalker just arrives in the base slightly later than the rest. Once all the stalkers are in the base you have vision and can blink everything in at will. 0 cost vs robo or hallucinate.
It can't blink from the cliff into their base, so you'll have to wait 20 game seconds to do 2 blinks just to get in. You'd have to spend 30 seconds in their base for it to be able to blink back out.

That's an eternity. In 30 seconds, 5 stalkers can nearly take down a command center.

Deadman

Slavik81 said:
It can't blink from the cliff into their base, so you'll have to wait 20 game seconds to do 2 blinks just to get in. You'd have to spend 30 seconds in their base for it to be able to blink back out.

That's an eternity.

A robotics facility takes 65 seconds, an observer takes 40 seconds.

Hallucination takes 80 seconds.

Those are eternities, 20 seconds where you have 1 less stalker than your full army is not an eternity.

Slavik81

Deadman said:
A robotics facility takes 65 seconds, an observer takes 40 seconds.
Hallucination takes 80 seconds.

Those are eternities, 20 seconds where you have 1 less stalker than your full army is not an eternity.
Except you don't have to be standing outside your opponent's base while you research hallucination. Nor do you have to have blink finished.

You can't parallelize that waiting time.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Spl1nter said:
one base or two base from your opponent? Also what is your opening in tvp.

Early mass zealot implies that they dont have charge so they are not as difficult to handle
usually 3 rax, and it's always a one base attack from them.

i know the zealots can be kited but doing so while the high dps tier 2 stuff is chipping away at my infantry usually works in their favor

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-COOLIO- said:

i know the zealots can be kited but doing so while the high dps tier 2 stuff is chipping away at my infantry usually works in their favor
id like to say 'working as intended' but i know better.

Spl1nter

-COOLIO- said:

Well you are utilizing 3rax which is a pretty 1basey. Since your opponent is 1 basing as well it basically comes down to execution. Its pretty difficult to bust a toss ramp with a 3rax timing attack. People have learned how to hold them off as they have been around since beta. You are most likely losing because of your opening. I would recommend a different opening. Look at the opening: Select 2 rax expand. You apply pressure when you are expanding, if the toss fast expands you can engage, however you have to be more tentative, dont lose most of your forces to some good forcefields. If your opponent is staying on one base then put down 2-3 bunkers at your front and you should be fine.

My transition from this build consits of:

-cc @ nat
-3rd rax (tech lab when complete)
-factory (reactor)
-engi bay, turret at front to defend against dt timings and upgrades
-starport (swap with fact)
-4th barracks

This build leads into a relatively quick 3rd and you are able to put a bit more pressure on your opponent once you have your first 2 medivacs out through direct pressure or drops. However, I have only used this build with this transition once or twice, so I am still working on it.

I can understand wanting to stick to your main BO, post a replay of a game where you lost to that 1 base toss.

ezrarh

ultron87 said:
*play one 8 minute ladder match*

*feels light headed*

Hmm, playing this while sick might not be the best plan.

haha. I understand, sometimes it feels like I don't breath while I'm playing so being sick on top of that makes playing sc2 very hard.

edit: I recommend what splinter recommended. Terran fast expand can be very powerful against protoss. Most good protoss can hold off 3rax at normal timings now and they'll either be at a tech advantage or they'll have a faster expansion.

Vaporak

-COOLIO- said:

3Rax is a terrible anti-macro build focused on winning the game early and you should stay clear of it. If you're going to do a 1 base oriented build at least do a good one like the Polt Timing Attack or the 2 Thor Rush. If you're in it for a macro game then do some 2rax expand variant.

Spl1nter

Vaporak said:
3Rax is a terrible anti-macro build focused on winning the game early and you should stay clear of it. If you're going to do a 1 base oriented build at least do a good one like the Polt Timing Attack or the 2 Thor Rush. If you're in it for a macro game then do some 2rax expand variant.

2 Thor Rushes are a lot weak now because of the change in scv priority when repairing. However, polt timing attack and iechoic 1-1-2 build are still strong.

V_Arnold

Slavik81 said:
Except you don't have to be standing outside your opponent's base while you research hallucination. Nor do you have to have blink finished.

You can't parallelize that waiting time.

Slavik81 said:

That's an eternity. In 30 seconds, 5 stalkers can nearly take down a command center.

Slavik81 said:
Ok...? They have to leave 2 stalkers behind (250 minerals, 100 gas), but avoid spending the 225 minerals and 175 gas on a robo + observer, or 150 minerals and 200 gas on hallucinate + observer.

A small advantage in some circumstances.

Wow sir, you do not really watch or play any PVZ nowadays, do you?
Talking about seconds and losing 2(!) stalkers.
You really should realize that if the opponent scouts no sentry and no robo (if he is able to scout as much anyways), he should NOT worry about defending from inside his main, because there is no way any stalkers can BLINK up there. You do not need to invest in a single sentry and a hallucination research OR a robo + stalker when you are going on the Blink tech route.

Zergs are already having a bad time against blink timing pushes, spine crawlers are usually considered at the ramp, as that is where attack will come in. In this case, not anymore. And once a stalker ball is inside your main, it is pretty much gg, no matter what amount of units you have.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fuck the new maps, WOW!

Yoshichan

Spl1nter said:
good to know your keyboard is still functional enough to post
:(

twofold

NukeDukem said:
so on a 2rax expand, what kind of add-ons do you add?

Put a tech lab on the first rax after the marine finishes and a reactor on the second one.

You'll have just enough gas to get a Reaper and Concussive Shells.

Use the Reaper to scout and produce Marines and Marauders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom