• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
what is t suppose to do againt a quick early switch to mass zealots? like say i have a standard mm mix for dealing with the standard stalker, zealot, sentry composition. then say they warp in 10 zs without the stalkers. how do you fight that? retreat and bunker up until you get preignitor?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-COOLIO- said:
what is t suppose to do againt a quick early switch to mass zealots? like say i have a standard mm mix for dealing with the standard stalker, zealot, sentry composition. then say they warp in 10 zs without the stalkers. how do you fight that? retreat and bunker up until you get preignitor?
kite?

Max

I am not Max
Where can I get some pointers on how to play this game? All I've done months ago is memorize a single build order for protoss but have now forgotten. Never got super into the game like I would have liked to because of the huge learning curve. I think I should start playing the game rather than just watching other people play in GSL

Striek

WmUkG.jpg

:D

Max said:
Where can I get some pointers on how to play this game? All I've done months ago is memorize a single build order for protoss but have now forgotten. Never got super into the game like I would have liked to because of the huge learning curve. I think I should start playing the game rather than just watching other people play in GSL
Well I presume you've been placed into bronze/silver. So set yourself a goal first to motivate you. Say advance into the next league. Should be easily attainable if you are willing to learn.

Then second know that to begin with build orders, scouting, timings, micro etc. are not stuff you need to be concerned with to begin with (at low level play). Focus on the basics.

Namely macro:
- Always build workers. #1 mistake of almost every low-level player. You would be surprised how much more stuff you have than your opponent if you just build workers constantly. I guarentee that at lower levels this will help most people win.
- Always build units from your structures, but do not queue too many units (none if possible). Again at lower levels its very common to see players just not to building anything, resulting in a much smaller army when you need it.
- Build more structures if you can't spend all your money. Spending money is the key concept of the game.

Following these three steps is the way to build a big army. You will be a) maximising income and b) maximising expenditure. Learn to do the above in a refined manner and its crazy how much bigger your army will be than your opponents. Your only concern will be not dying to the cheesy bs.

Only after that worry about strategies, timings, expansions and build orders. Only after that worry about learning the hotkeys, control groups and micro. The more you play the more you will naturally learn that stuff.

I know this is very obvious advice, but still its where most people go wrong from what I've seen.

And if you are still having trouble post here (w/replays preferably) or ask in the NeoGAF channel on SC2.

Wow grats on getting into masters!

Got into diamond tonight. Not sure why i got promoted so fast my record is like 18-14. The vast majority of my matches are against terran players and every single one of them rushes.

My first game in diamond the terran player went for a marine rush with about 5-6 SCV's.

Pretty much if i survive past the 5-10 minute mark i win (against protoss and terran).

Still struggling with Z v Z. At the moment im just sticking with roaches but i have no idea what im doing.

Striek said:
You need to first activate it at battle.net then you logout (press the arrow button beside where you put your email) and select 'region' at the login screen and choose NA then login normally.

Thanks. Now i will actually be able to play with GAF players and enter the next tournament.

Do you know how i can post replays in here if i wanted to look for advice or have an interesting game?

YakiSOBA

Striek said:
WmUkG.jpg

Grats! :)

Just wondering, did you lose and then get promoted? I notice you're below him in the graphs, and the match only lasted about 7 minutes... was it some sort of all-in?

More details! :)

Slavik81

-COOLIO- said:
Go offensive on them and use marauders + slow. That demolishes zealots.

IceMarker

Oh my aching head... I guess that's what I get for getting around 10 hours of sleep Wednesday through Friday and sleeping for 16 hours last night to catch up... need to moderate my use of the map editor, even though I really want Nuclear Arcade to be a hit.

Tntnnbltn

Oh my god, you can shift-queue blink in combination with move commands so that stalker balls don't get cut in half when taking shortcuts.

Why did no one tell me this?!

ultron87

Tntnnbltn said:
Oh my god, you can shift-queue blink in combination with move commands so that stalker balls don't get cut in half when taking shortcuts.

Why did no one tell me this?!

This is one of the reasons blink stalkers are my favorite unit.

IceMarker

Get on around 12pm PST (just under 2 hours) if you'd like to play the last version of Nuclear Arcade Alpha before Open Beta goes live today. (Scogoth will be there!)

I will make a more formal and informative post about Nukade in the near future, as I'm not completely ready to announce it officially yet.

Deadman

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
bnet messed up for anyone else?

im getting the disconnect surrender thing but im not being booted no matter how long i wait : \

and ive got this game in the bag so i dont want to leave : [

IceMarker

Final test for Nukade Alpha starting now! Get in here within the next 10 minutes after this post to play!

LIVE EDIT: Status - Closed! GG!

Max

I am not Max
Striek said:
Well I presume you've been placed into bronze/silver. So set yourself a goal first to motivate you. Say advance into the next league. Should be easily attainable if you are willing to learn.

Then second know that to begin with build orders, scouting, timings, micro etc. are not stuff you need to be concerned with to begin with (at low level play). Focus on the basics.

Namely macro:
- Always build workers. #1 mistake of almost every low-level player. You would be surprised how much more stuff you have than your opponent if you just build workers constantly. I guarentee that at lower levels this will help most people win.
- Always build units from your structures, but do not queue too many units (none if possible). Again at lower levels its very common to see players just not to building anything, resulting in a much smaller army when you need it.
- Build more structures if you can't spend all your money. Spending money is the key concept of the game.

Following these three steps is the way to build a big army. You will be a) maximising income and b) maximising expenditure. Learn to do the above in a refined manner and its crazy how much bigger your army will be than your opponents. Your only concern will be not dying to the cheesy bs.

Only after that worry about strategies, timings, expansions and build orders. Only after that worry about learning the hotkeys, control groups and micro. The more you play the more you will naturally learn that stuff.

I know this is very obvious advice, but still its where most people go wrong from what I've seen.

And if you are still having trouble post here (w/replays preferably) or ask in the NeoGAF channel on SC2.
Thanks i'll keep this in mind. The last game played I had way too many minerals and I seem to limit myself to how many buildings I make for some reason. Is there a certain time that you need to stop making workers? Always afraid of making too many and then not expanding at the right time.

Going to make my goal to advance to silver TODAY.

TLO owned Nada at IEM Gamescom, but Nada was only playing SC2 for... a day.

Now I think Nada is gonna have it, especially if TLO doesn't smart up and pick a race and stop fucking around with random.

mcrae

Deadman said:
Last stage of the TSL3 qualifiers is today with the playoff for the last spot in the tournament between Select and Strelok.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=198616

Ill edit in the stream link when it starts, but it should be in the spotlight anyway.

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/TeamLiquidTV

Following the playoff Liquid Tyler will be drawing the brackets for the tournament itself.

This starts at 2pm EST (has already started)

i'd like to thank deadman and all others who make posts like these. i enjoy watching sc2 but im not into the scene and am virtually never on teamliquid, so i wouldnt know about it without these sorts of posts. thanks especially for the stream link. cheers guy

Deadman

mcrae said:
i'd like to thank deadman and all others who make posts like these. i enjoy watching sc2 but im not into the scene and am virtually never on teamliquid, so i wouldnt know about it without these sorts of posts. thanks especially for the stream link. cheers guy

You are welcome :)

Nestea vs Goody
Naniwa vs Ret
Idra vs Cruncher (hahahaha)
Mondragon vs zeerax

This means idra, ret and nestea are in the same quarter of the bracket :(

The reason why idra vs cruncher is funny is because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAAQsgkl38s .
The day after cruncher qualified to tsl3 idra went on jp and friends and, in his words, played a replay of him "bashing noobies for fun on the american server". The noobie he bashed in that replay was cruncher.

TSL_SmallBracket.jpg

IceMarker

NUCLEAR ARCADE OPEN BETA HAS BEEN RELEASED! To play just search "Nuclear Arcade" when creating a custom game or find me online!

I have to go to work soon so I don't really have time to make a more formal post.
When I get back though rest assured you will see one.

Striek

AdventureRacing said:
Do you know how i can post replays in here if i wanted to look for advice or have an interesting game?
Save the replay on SC2 then go to Documents/Starcraft 2/Username/Replays and upload it to sc2replayed.com or a similar site, then post it here.
Congrats on diamond btw.
BigAT said:
Great...now my seeding in the Open has officially given me three Masters players in a row.

Congrats.
Hey I saw how you played against ezrahr, no sympathies here if you keep that up :p

YakiSOBA said:
Grats! :)

Just wondering, did you lose and then get promoted? I notice you're below him in the graphs, and the match only lasted about 7 minutes... was it some sort of all-in?

More details! :)
Nah I won that match. PvP on scrapstation, so you have to 4gate because you simply can't hold your ramp with forcefields. So I did the korean4gate (definitely all-in), but he denied my pylons but lost to the very delayed push anyway. The reason I'm below him is I mined slightly less and had slightly less units. I think he might've gg'd too early personally.

The game before that I got 8 pooled and ended up winning a 60 minute game and had less score too.

Max said:
Thanks i'll keep this in mind. The last game played I had way too many minerals and I seem to limit myself to how many buildings I make for some reason. Is there a certain time that you need to stop making workers? Always afraid of making too many and then not expanding at the right time.

Going to make my goal to advance to silver TODAY.
Yeah its very common to see players have 2k+ minerals stockpiled in lower leagues despite having almost no production and been on 1base.

The only times you need to stop building workers are if a) you are doing a very precise build that cuts workers for a reason (which you wont be yet) or b) you have 70+.
26 is ideal saturation on one base, but you want to build constantly so you can transfer some to your expansions to saturate them quicker.

Expansion timing is a very hard thing to judge without scouting information, so I'd recommend building your forces until about 8 minutes then attacking, cut production temporarily and expand. Gradually learn when its safe and when its not.

When you get better you can learn how to fast-expand safely, but at bronze level no ones going to be playing a proper macro game, so you don't have to worry about been behind economically with heavy 1-basing.

GL in getting to silver.

(._.)

Banned
I have been taking a small break myself and plan to ladder into gold this week. I'm off for a day and I shouldn't be that busy if I get some work I have backed up finished tonight and tomorrow.

Max

I am not Max
Anyone have any idea what's goign on with my menu's graphics? Its as if some effects just aren't on the right layer. Last time I had the game installed I had the same problem.

the shine tween
2cgdkic.png

the arrow tween
29ftnx5.png

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Max:

Looks like the beginning frame of the animations for downloading and the league medal shine. I have no idea why the animations wouldn't finish.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I'm not 100% sure, but I encountered a SalsaShark a league match in 2v2. I had given up on the game, he was steam rolling me with Broodlords so I bugged out to go watch a movie. Somehow my friend pulled it out on his own. Awesome game SalsaShark if that was you.

Haunted

Deadman said:
Possibly close matches:

Nada vs TLO is sick.
Having Mondragon play Zeerax is messed up seeding.
Jinro vs Morrow should be good.
Nestea vs Goody will see several bunker rushes.
Before Assembly, I would've said that Naniwa is the perfect counter for ret, but ret crushed him so hard at Assembly, I think he got this.
Kas will beat Haypro.

The other matches seem clear from the outset. Of course there'll be some upsets, but who knows where. Amazingly stacked brackets.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Striek said:
Don't you play terran?

Talk about simple.
as far as battles go, i find terran armies to be the most micro intensive, almost every terran unit has a non-autocast skill that you need to be on top off.the ones that dont are hellions and medivacs and those are tough to micro right. and even before you get stim on the infantry you have to scoot and shoot, to deal with lings and lots.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Slavik81 said:
Ok...? They have to leave 2 stalkers behind (250 minerals, 100 gas), but avoid spending the 225 minerals and 175 gas on a robo + observer, or 150 minerals and 200 gas on hallucinate + observer.

A small advantage in some circumstances.
yea i dont see why hallucinate isnt better. its not like kulas where a probe could give you the vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom