• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Birdman02 said:
My wife was actually really excited about going to MLG Dallas..until she watched some vids from last year. Now she's worried that we'd be the oldest people there (we're late 20s), so she doesn't want to go.

dj wheat will be there!

JKTrix

How noob friendly is this GAF night? I've had the game since launch but I haven't even laddered. I think I would like to participate, and maybe learn some stuff.

ultron87

JKTrix said:
How noob friendly is this GAF night? I've had the game since launch but I haven't even laddered. I think I would like to participate, and maybe learn some stuff.

Very noob friendly! (Just ignore Spl1nter.)

I'm sure there will be at least one other Bronze or Silver player for you to test your mettle against. And you can always just observe the games.

HolyCheck

JKTrix said:

As possibly the worst player who joins in on these GAF nights occasionaly, very friendly :) if you dont feel like playing right away theres always watching to do, make sure you get on mumble if you can aswell!

team and custom games are a great start if you just wanna have a bit of fun too!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Birdman02 said:
My wife was actually really excited about going to MLG Dallas..until she watched some vids from last year. Now she's worried that we'd be the oldest people there (we're late 20s), so she doesn't want to go.
Late 20s isn't old. :(

Corran Horn

JKTrix said:
Noob friendly but be willing to take criticism and have some what a thick skin as we all make fun of each other.

Spl1nter

ultron87 said:
Very noob friendly! (Just ignore Spl1nter.)

Im the only person who actually welcomes and takes care of the the little nubs. I caress them and nurture them so that one day they may go out on their own.

We still have quite a way to go with you.

HolyCheck

Corran Horn said:
Noob friendly but be willing to take criticism and have some what a thick skin as we all make fun of each other.

Find a replay of one of my games to show him the level of bad that some times appears... a certain failed 12 drone rush comes to mind :(

Haunted

oGs videos are up!

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=8306620

And a related comment from Jinro:
Liquid'Jinro said:
Btw, I saw some comments for the startale vods about how its just their managers preparing this etc, and I cant speak for Startale but all of oGs did this on their own - yeah, they asked for help when they needed it but nobody here wrote it for them.

Inca basically soloed his completely. So the idiots saying the Koreans arent making an effort to interact with the non-Kor scene or whatever... just dont even start.
Seeing something like this was unthinkable in the BW era. It's nice how some of the people who put the Koreans on a godlike pedestal for years are getting their mind blown by this. :lol

Also, I'm seeing Zzoram on TL playing devil's advocate. You rascal, you.
I'm Bobster on TL, btw.

Birdman02 said:
Thanks for making me feel old. :(

HolyCheck

Haunted said:
oGs videos are up!

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=8306620

And a related comment from Jinro:
Seeing something like this was unthinkable in the BW era. It's nice how some of the people who put the Koreans on a godly pedestal for years are getting their mind blown by this. :lol

Also, I'm seeing Zzoram on TL playing devil's advocate. You rascal, you.
I'm Bobster on TL, btw.

Thanks for making me feel old. :(

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...sbVNJUUQ1N2pkYUE&hl=en&authkey=CKv3ydUN#gid=1

You should be keeping this gold for Neogaf and making TL feel bad and have to quote us. Like that week where farnham translated two news thingies over here.. tl were raging something hard it was lol.

Haunted

HolyCheck said:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...sbVNJUUQ1N2pkYUE&hl=en&authkey=CKv3ydUN#gid=1

You should be keeping this gold for Neogaf and making TL feel bad and have to quote us. Like that week where farnham translated two news thingies over here.. tl were raging something hard it was lol.
haha

Well, even though the posting quality on GAF is about a bazillion times better, TL does have the constant SC2 discussion and general activity to make something like that worthwhile.

I just want to spread the love. ^_^

scogoth

Spl1nter said:
Im the only person who actually welcomes and takes care of the the little nubs. I caress them and nurture them so that one day they may go out on their own.

Mother Spl1nter cares for her little nubs with the smack of nonna's wooden spoon. Tongue lashings and verbal abuse are the tough love that makes them into fierce warriors of GAF.

Spl1nter

scogoth said:
Mother Spl1nter cares for her little nubs with the smack of nonna's wooden spoon. Tongue lashings and verbal abuse are the tough love that makes them into fierce warriors of GAF.

It makes you so proud when you see them all pro, going out into the gaming world themselves and dominating noobs.

Corran Horn

Spl1nter said:

Unless they are european

mcrae

Spl1nter said:

its a shame the official gaf night is the one night of the week im guaranteed to be working. starting either an hour before or after gaf night starts, and working till at least 230am. ah well.

NukeDukem

Banned
Spl1nter said:

Sensei Spl1nter please give me lessons Q.Q

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The TL thread about Koreans in the NASL is pretty funny, a few players who have applied don't want them invited as they're too good :lol

Haunted

Ikuu said:
The TL thread about Koreans in the NASL is pretty funny, a few players who have applied don't want them invited as they're too good :lol
Lost so much respect for Cloud in that thread. :( But eh, he's always been the consummate professional, I should've expected him to bitch about anything limiting his chances to get the money.

Very much looking forward to another truly international tournament from a spectator's perspective. And honestly, if they're competitive guys and have at least some pride, the foreigners who applied should be burning to eradicate the IEM results right now.

On a fun sidenote, I'm fairly certain someone posted my NASL list of applicants on a Korean site, because I've been getting very frequent visits from Korean guests in the last hour. :p

IceMarker

mcrae said:
its a shame the official gaf night is the one night of the week im guaranteed to be working. starting either an hour before or after gaf night starts, and working till at least 230am. ah well.
Tuesday is typically pre-GAF-night, we still have a good amount online, and then usually after Tourney Thursdays we still have enough people online to play a few non-serious games. Wednesday just happens to be the big day where there are up to 40 gaffers online at once!

NukeDukem said:
Why don't you keep that garbage to it's own thread, mrmister
If I could keep mapping topics in their own threads then Star Battle, Nexus Wars, City of Tempest, etc. would have their own threads on GAF.

zlatko

Banned
NukeDukem said:
Why don't you keep that garbage to it's own thread, mrmister

Not sure if serious, but you got a lot of balls on you junior.

He gets more activity telling us here, then his own thread that's for sure. Don't hate on MrMister for having passion to commit his time to making something awesome.

WedgeX

Banned
JKTrix said:

Very noob friendly! Lots of people who are willing to coach, as well.

HolyCheck said:
As possibly the worst player who joins in on these GAF nights occasionaly, very friendly :) if you dont feel like playing right away theres always watching to do, make sure you get on mumble if you can aswell!

team and custom games are a great start if you just wanna have a bit of fun too!

You and me both, HolyCheck.

Nothing as awesome as getting on mumble and clarifying that I am the bad wedge haha.

Corran Horn

WedgeX said:
Very noob friendly! Lots of people who are willing to coach, as well.

You and me both, HolyCheck.

Nothing as awesome as getting on mumble and clarifying that I am the bad wedge haha.
Im still confused. One of you need to become Wes Janson or maybe Tycho.

zlatko

Banned
MrMister said:
NukeDukem is an IRL friend of mine, he's semi-serious, think of him like Splinter is to Scogoth and Caderyn. Either way LOL

Haha, okay. It's always hard to pick up tone online without the additions of j/ks, lols, or :p faces to show messing around.

No one harms our SC2 Gaf without COMING AT ME BRO!

Birdman02

Corran Horn said:
Late 20s isn't old. :(

I know, but I don't think there was anyone over 17 in the videos she watched. Granted, just about everything she watched was more focused on the FPS games...not much SC2 info that I could find.

Corran Horn

Birdman02 said:
I know, but I don't think there was anyone over 17 in the videos she watched. Granted, just about everything she watched was more focused on the FPS games...not much SC2 info that I could find.
Maybe its just MLG but Blizzcon was full of over 30 people when I went last year.

Slavik81

Spl1nter said:

cannavaro.png

KuroNeeko

Hey all,

Thanks for the games. Saw on Corran's stream that I was lagging up the game so I'll probably duck out of the bigger games from now on. Was a lot of fun but being halfway across the globe will do it to you I guess. Sorry!

:D

Haunted said:
Lost so much respect for Cloud in that thread. :( But eh, he's always been the consummate professional, I should've expected him to bitch about anything limiting his chances to get the money.

Very much looking forward to another truly international tournament from a spectator's perspective. And honestly, if they're competitive guys and have at least some pride, the foreigners who applied should be burning to eradicate the IEM results right now.

On a fun sidenote, I'm fairly certain someone posted my NASL list of applicants on a Korean site, because I've been getting very frequent visits from Korean guests in the last hour. :p
Yeah, talk about total defeatist mentality.

I'm just glad that the fighting game community (especially Street Fighter) weren't as chicken shit as some of those so called "competitive" pros and tried to ban Japanese players because they were winning most of the tournaments.

twofold

NASL is screwed regardless of what they do.

If they limit the amount of Korean players (which is then smart choice..), a certain subset of viewers will bitch a ton and not bother watching the tournament.

If they don't limit the amount of Korean players, we'll be seeing an all Korean NASL by Season 3 with only a few NA/EU players in it.

For NA/EU players to compete with the KR players, they need to have the team house structure set up, else they'll have no chance. The only way that'll happen is through sponsors and sponsorship money, which they'll get through exposure in leagues like the NASL. If the NASL is dominated by Korean players, there won't be any sponsorship money available to the NA/EU teams and they'll continue to fall further and further behind the East.

They should limit the number of Koreans to 10 or so and be done with it.

10 koreans is a good number to start with, if further more want to come in they can try for the 1000 man tournament and place in top 8 to get in.

However limiting the number of Korean players to 10 at all times would be stupid move by them.

twofold

Why?

One of their primary goals is to grow the NA/EU scene and get more money pumped into it so that players can turn professional and play the game without needing a job on the side to make a living.

That's not going to happen if the NASL becomes a Korean tournament.

Why should it be ?

If you're not gonna catch up to Koreans now then you'll never will. Team houses are already happening, There is the Root/Fanatic house, the EG house and TLO and Sjow are supposedly starting something in Sweden really soon.

There are many full professional teams, Liquid, EG, Fanatic and FXO from the top of my head do pay their players monthly salaries and make them full time professional gamers (something only the TSL team in korea is doing right now).

Even if you limit the number to let's say 10 , Jinro and Huk are not gonna apply for the first season. What if non of the Koreans drop down and Jinro and Huk want to get in next season or the next, what do you do ?

Do you tell them no and lose probably one of the best foreigners (and the world in case of Jinro) to compete in your league or do you let them in and come off as xenophobic because you're turning players down now based on their race/skin color.

People need to stop fearing the Korean boggieman and just accept the challenge. So what if MC or July destroys everyone and wins the first NASL. Sooner or later people who take this game seriously are gonna catch up and are going to beat the koreans just like it happened with Street Fighter. A Japanese player is no longer an auto win just as we saw last week when Puertorican Balrog beat Tokido, one of the best players in Japan and took the championship.

Anyway GSL is starting so I'll replay later if you wanna continue the argument.

mcrae

TheThunder said:
Why should it be ?

If you're not gonna catch up to Koreans now then you'll never will. Team houses are already happening, There is the Root/Fanatic house, the EG house and TLO and Sjow are supposedly starting something in Sweden really soon.

There are many full professional teams, Liquid, EG, Fanatic and FXO from the top of my head do pay their players monthly salaries and make them full time professional gamers (something only the TSL team in korea is doing right now).

Even if you limit the number to let's say 10 , Jinro and Huk are not gonna apply for the first season. What if non of the Koreans drop down and Jinro and Huk want to get in next season or the next, what do you do ?

Do you tell them no and lose probably one of the best foreigners (and the world in case of Jinro) to compete in your league or do you let them in and come off as xenophobic because you're turning players down now based on their race/skin color.

People need to stop fearing the Korean boggieman and just accept the challenge. So what if MC or July destroys everyone and wins the first NASL. Sooner or later people who take this game seriously are gonna catch up and are going to beat the koreans just like it happened with Street Fighter. A Japanese player is no longer an auto win just as we saw last week when Puertorican Balrog beat Tokido, one of the best players in Japan and took the championship.

Anyway GSL is starting so I'll replay later if you wanna continue the argument.

i think its much better to compare sc2 pros with sc1 pros, as opposed to compared sc2 pros to street fighter pros, no?

Haunted

They can actually control the NA/EU/KR balance in upcoming seasons via placement in the Open tournament bracket.

Top 8 advance, but you only want max. 5 EU players coming in? Place them into 5 brackets (a 1024 man tournament is 8 brackets á 128 players) so they hit each other before getting to Top 8. Max. possible number of EU players to advance: 5. Bam, done.

Some possible distributions for this first season:
NA/EU/KR
20/20/10
20/15/15
18/24/8
25/17/8

twofold

The formation of team houses is a great thing - it's definitely what is needed for the the NA/EU players to catch up to the Koreans. But if you notice.. The root/EG houses were only put together recently. They're only possible now because of the NASL and the increased exposure and sponsorship money they'll be receiving from it.

I don't think it's about the players being scared of Koreans -- at least, I hope it's not -- it's more that the NA/EU players need to get more exposure to attract sponsors to allow them to go fully pro and compete with the Koreans. There's not much money in esports at the moment - if there was, Root would have got a sponsor long ago. If the Koreans end up outnumbering the NA/EU teams in the NASL, they're not going to be able to attract sponsors they need as they're not going to get enough exposure for sponsorships to be worthwhile.

I'd like to see a 20/20/10 split, personally, in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom