• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Aylinato said:
eh, I'd rather have banelings do that to marines that belonged to splinter(and his maraduers) just to give him a fair 'challenge'
ive been saying infestors = a safe transition out of banelings. [with the exception of bane mines] now that they have double dps.

>_>

also infestors > splinter.

IceMarker

Well this is it guys, we've come a long way playing Starcraft II with each other in this community, helping each other improve ourselves and constantly debating on what can be improved about the game we all love, and after a tournament and a half it's about time I reveal in detail what I got planned for the community for the rest of 2011 in the realm of community tournaments and events. You might want to grab some coffee as this will be somewhat of a long post.

__The Past and Present___

8BkGB.png

The year got off to a great start after the NeoGAF Starcraft II Night Initiative in late 2010, shortly thereafter frequent gaffers kept mentioning wanting to start a tournament for the community especially after the SCII Beta. Therefore our very first post-Beta North American tournament was born! The NGI was a great and rocky launch for our own personal tournament season. The 16 player invitational went very smoothly, with only 1 invite being declined and eventually Pandaman being crowned the winner. Very swiftly after that the NGOpen, which of course is still in progress, registration was open! The slots filled up very quickly almost doubling the intended amount of players! Eventually qualifiers had to be played, and some upsets were already in the making, so far the tournament has been smooth, but bottom brackets continue to be slightly confusing. I personally have learned that double elimination tournaments hosted by myself will be kept below 32 players. Either way, this Thursday will be the exciting Semi-Finals and I hope you all continue to participate or watch over on Corran Horns quality stream.

Now that we've summarized what's been happening with SCII-GAF so far this year, I'd like to finally formally announce the planned tournaments for 2011, including a couple that I have not previously mentioned to anyone before.

__The Future___

2kQEO.png

The NGSI. This will be the next major tournament this year, consisting of 32 slots for this single elimination tournament, 16 players who have shown their strength in previous tournaments or during NeoGAF Starcraft II Nights will be invited for a guaranteed slot on the roster, while 16 others will be hand-picked from a future registration thread.
This tournament is planned to start in late May.

Eq6vF.png

The NGWZ. This will be the largest tournament of the year in terms of player count. 64 players will battle in single elimination format, battling for the crown. The registration will be open to NeoGAF members only, anyone can sign up as long as they have an approved NeoGAF account.
This tournament is planned to start in early August.

eIEsg.png

The NGC. This is the big one. Only players who have truly shown their true skill through winning NeoGAF tournaments or topping the ladder time and time again will be invited to the NeoGAF Championship. 8 of our highest tier players by the end of the year will be selected to compete against each other in this double elimination tournament to determine who might just be the best NeoGAF Starcraft II player of 2011.
This tournament is planned to start in early December.

__The Extra___

POArR.png

A couple of bonus tournaments to fill the gaps in between the big ones.
The NTT. This is a 2v2 team tournament. Each player registers with a partner and competes in a 16 player (8 team) single elimination tournament.
The NGGE. This is a group tourney. Each player registers to be in one of four 4-player groups, then each group plays each other in 1v1 format in king of the hill format, first group to lose all 4 members is out of the tournament.
These two bonus tournaments planned for this year, but I have no solid date for either, instead I'm leaning on GAF to give me some guidance as to when these tournaments should begin, as long as they don't overlap with any of the major community tournaments.

__The Conclusion___

I love Starcraft II-GAF, if it wasn't for you guys beginning from Beta I wouldn't be as involved with Starcraft II as I am today, even if in the long run this was all of little significance to any of you I still had fun and will continue to have fun doing this for you guys. I look forward to all the events this year and I hope you all participate!

-MrMister♠

Detox

As a complete noob at SC2 I don't think I'll be joining in. Good job on the community events but I have to just say Halo-GAF have their own twitter account so...

:p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Detox said:
As a complete noob at SC2 I don't think I'll be joining in. Good job on the community events but I have to just say Halo-GAF have their own twitter account so...
halo-gaf? that some sort of church community? i bet they deliver the sacrament to you while you sit on big comfy pews.

WedgeX

Banned
Detox said:

:p

Come to GAF night and hang out with the rest of us noobs! Do it!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Detox said:

Halogaf isn't a friend of moonglade or sheth!

have at ye!

Q8D3vil

lucky NA players :(
i wish i have time to keep up with you guys but fuck this semester and fucking midterms everyday

goes and study for tomorrow double midterms :(

q_q

So how are you going to determine who gets into the 2v2 tourney? Will it be invitational or will there be qualifying matches?

Also as an aside do we know when the ladders will reset officially? Will it be in one week now that 1.3 is out? Also, how will it work? Will there be placement matches again or what?

scogoth

q_q said:
So how are you going to determine who gets into the 2v2 tourney? Will it be invitational or will there be qualifying matches?

Also as an aside do we know when the ladders will reset officially? Will it be in one week now that 1.3 is out? Also, how will it work? Will there be placement matches again or what?

Don't think the 2v2 tourny has details yet. When MrMister has it organized he'll post about it.

Ladder resets one week from now then one week after that grandmasters league opens. You are locked into your current league for this week to focus on moving your rank up.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Detox said:
My last post was ignored :(. I'm from the EU and not 100% on how the online in this game functions.

tired, delirious and its 6am

if you dont want to be ranked play custom games

play ranked games, no one really cares about your ranking. and you will be placed against people as good and or as bad as you

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I recommend not being like some cowards around here who shy away from the 1v1 ladder, just jump in and play.

scogoth

HolyCheck said:
tired, delirious and its 6am

if you dont want to be ranked play custom games

play ranked games, no one really cares about your ranking. and you will be placed against people as good and or as bad as you

There are only two ranks that matters in gaf, how often you show up for gaf night and your star battle rank.

Spl1nter said:
Coming from the master of complaining. I am so honoured.
Everything I have commented on being OP / Broken / Stupid / etc is true and the patches reflect that. The only thing I "Complain" about that hasn't been "Balanced" yet is forcefield.

Spl1nter

ChronicleX said:
Everything I have commented on being OP / Broken / Stupid / etc is true and the patches reflect that. The only thing I "Complain" about that hasn't been "Balanced" yet is forcefield.

According to your warped sense of understanding this game. Then again you are probably just trolling.

Spl1nter said:
According to your warped sense of understanding this game. Then again you are probably just trolling.
You need to learn what trolling is, then read your own posts. Or you can just read your own posts and learn that way.

Spl1nter

ChronicleX said:
You need to learn what trolling is, then read your own posts. Or you can just read your own posts and learn that way.

Or you could read my posts and see sensible discussion instead of the crazy buffoonery you throw out.

Milabrega

So who else is a member of Team Random?

Btw does anyone still use the sc2 irc? It was on quakenet which blocks mibbit so I only popped in during big tourney events (and i didn't have the game at the time) or did it die when chat channels went live?

Spl1nter

ChronicleX said:
You were saying?

1. The change has a negative effect on a macro terran against zerg. There are two ways to play out of a fast expand as terran, bio or factory harrass. Stim comes later because of the fast expand which delays any harrass terran can put on zerg which is important in the matchup. Most terrans push out just a few seconds before stim finishes to reach the zerg base when stim finishes.
2. Blizzard does something to help stop extremely strong 1 base terran pushes which are good however it harms the ability for terran to do the above.
3. Everyone in this thread knows when I make a statement I will often over exaggerate. You on the other hand will make a statement yet no one knows if you are over exaggerating or being serious.

fanboi

Banned
Milabrega said:
So who else is a member of Team Random?

Btw does anyone still use the sc2 irc? It was on quakenet which blocks mibbit so I only popped in during big tourney events (and i didn't have the game at the time) or did it die when chat channels went live?

Still lives #starcraft2-gaf @ qnet

Spl1nter said:
Wah wah QQ wah

1 - It has no effect. Stim still exists, still costs the same, still does the same thing. Now you have to make a choice instead of having all the cakes at once.
2 - Wah blizzard nerfed my overpowered TvZ thing and now I have to plan my builds and counter what the zerg is doing? ZOMG!
3 - See Prior.

Spl1nter

ChronicleX said:
1 - It has no effect. Stim still exists, still costs the same, still does the same thing. Now you have to make a choice instead of having all the cakes at once.
2 - Wah blizzard nerfed my overpowered TvZ thing and now I have to plan my builds and counter what the zerg is doing? ZOMG!
3 - See Prior.

Thank you for showing us your lack of reading comprehension, understanding of match ups and ability to troll. I present to everyone the same old chroniclex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom