• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

Yeah, Europe has more than enough tournament/league stuff going on. It's just more spread out.

Also what's up with NASL? No announcement or press release for the names? Just the names randomly appearing on the site?

Feep

Banned
ChronicleX said:
If you can go in, do damage without risk then its free harass. The bio units have a use, they are the core of your army, they play a major role later. You can still harass without stim, you just have to be more careful.

As for the bold do I really need to explain this? Its RTS 101. Its a choice, a decision to commit to something. If 1 thing is significantly better than everything else then there is no choice and you do it every damn game (example - PvP you 4gate - THAT IS THE LAW). That is why stim now comes 30 seconds later and the reason 5rax reaper got nerfed out of the game.
Chronicle is so cute. I'm glad I didn't ignore him.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Battle net is down in WoW too

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Won said:
Also what's up with NASL? No announcement or press release for the names? Just the names randomly appearing on the site?
It's just been a series of misteps, they also accused Avilo of vote hacking on the poll and published PMs and stuff on TL and then apologized when they realized how stupid it was to do.

F#A#Oo

Banned
BigAT said:
Can't you go and get banned again?

I like ChronicleX...he adds alot to discussion....as for balance discussion it's part and parcel...and the reality is those who complain/bitch/moan are the ones get games balanced and patched...

If no one bitched everyone would be addressing each other on Bnet with their real life names...

twofold said:
Darkforce is an awesome Zerg. Don't hate.

No hate, I'll just see who they've skipped to get him in, and more importantly, is Incontrol gonna self invite himself even though he has nothing to show for it.

clav

Trickster said:
Applying patch 1.3 I believe.
Getting this message now upon logon screen:

rm35o8.png

Ikuu

TheThunder said:
No hate, I'll just see who they've skipped to get him in, and more importantly, is Incontrol gonna self invite himself even though he has nothing to show for it.
Supposedly he has nothing to do with the invites, I'd be very shocked if he wasn't invited.

ezrarh

Ikuu said:
Supposedly he has nothing to do with the invites, I'd be very shocked if he wasn't invited.

He hasn't really shown anything that would warrant his invite over other the multitude of other plays that have applied. His tourney results has always been lackluster.

Ikuu said:
He is friends with the head of NASL. He plays, streams and casts from the boss's office.

If Incontrol *Really* wants to get in, he will get in no matter how many more deserving and more accomplished players are above him.

Sliver

After a couple games against Protoss I'm still not sold on the fungal changes. Not quite on the level of Neural Parasite nerf but it is so short and the increase in damage is only on armored.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I dont want to support IGN :/
Why must they get a proleague starting!

And I guess I need to learn what to do with this new Obs mode.

I wonder if the IGN league is working alongside the other leagues in terms of scheduling; I'd imagine it is given how stacked everything is becoming.

The NASL first player "announcement" is getting some criticism on Team Liquid; looking forward to InControl's response on SoTG tonight. Having some type of write-up or official announcement would have been better than just throwing the names on the site. But people questioning the league's professionalism are dumb. Idra and a shit ton of other players clearly think highly of it, for more reasons than the prize pool

I will say this though: the TSL's pre-event production values have blown every aspect of NASL out the water thus far. The write ups, interviews, player drawings, etc were fantastic.

It's hard to imagine NASL will drop the ball on that in the long term, so I can't complain too much. Also, anything IGN does will have high production values so it'll be interesting to compare the two once we get more details.

Striek

Sliver said:
After a couple games against Protoss I'm still not sold on the fungal changes. Not quite on the level of Neural Parasite nerf but it is so short and the increase in damage is only on armored.
Wait and see more. I think they'll be quite awesome. I'd take infestors over HTs anyday.

In fact it wouldn't shock me if next patch infestors got that missile nerf Blizzard wanted to do this patch.

PhoenixDark said:
I wonder if the IGN league is working alongside the other leagues in terms of scheduling; I'd imagine it is given how stacked everything is becoming.

The NASL first player "announcement" is getting some criticism on Team Liquid; looking forward to InControl's response on SoTG tonight. Having some type of write-up or official announcement would have been better than just throwing the names on the site. But people questioning the league's professionalism are dumb. Idra and a shit ton of other players clearly think highly of it, for more reasons than the prize pool

I will say this though: the TSL's pre-event production values have blown every aspect of NASL out the water thus far. The write ups, interviews, player drawings, etc were fantastic.

It's hard to imagine NASL will drop the ball on that in the long term, so I can't complain too much. Also, anything IGN does will have high production values so it'll be interesting to compare the two once we get more details.

Except so far they are 100% right, so how are they dumb? You even said it yourself, so far everything about the TSL has blown what the NASL has done out of the water. The NASL is supposed to be a much larger tournament and yet so far it looks like a job being done by 2 guys in their basement.

Perhaps when they actually show some level of professionalism then people will stop making the criticisms.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I never really understood the video application for NASL...

Were people suppose to show some sort of personality/character in their video's? I know a few of the lesser known people tried drumming up their rivalries with others...

Striek

F#A#Oo said:
I never really understood the video application for NASL...

Were people suppose to show some sort of personality/character in their video's? I know a few of the lesser known people tried drumming up their rivalries with others...
It was mostly a marketing exercise.

In no way shape or form will those videos influence their decisions IMO. Nor the voting.

Mairu

PhoenixDark said:

I don't really agree with this. I don't really like the way all the pre-NASL stuff has been handled by staff. Almost every release of information has had issues associated with it, and their excuse along the way has been "we're getting something different/better when it launches". The showmatch that served to be the announcement for NASL had massive production issues and the website even launched before they "announced" it, which consisted of just displaying the trailer.

The trailer itself has served to be a disaster as the people dissatisfied with the players announced so far have always referenced that dumb "the best players" marketing line.

They've had issues with the rules regarding team and foreigner/Korean limits that they've had to change (which in itself is good but shows they didn't really put enough thought into the rules they came up with). When they released that image showing how the seeds make it from the beginning to the final 16, there were design issues & bracket issues and they once again excused it as "not final".

Then of course most recently they've mismanaged releasing the players list, releasing ten more than they had intended due to a website error. And their method of releasing the player list? Just updating their "preliminary" website that they've stated time and time again is not final and being worked on. Maybe it's just because incontrol spent so much effort hyping up the initial announcement, but the way they've handled every other release of information since then has been extremely lackluster.

I have no issues with the player list and people who expect a mostly Korean NASL are fooling themselves but I don't think the pre-production on hyping up NASL and getting people excited about the league has been done well.

twofold

This is amazing.

The internet has found so much info about the IGN league. Well done, internet.

"IGN has invited 16 of the most talented Starcraft 2 players from North America, and will be launching a series of tournaments in search for the best players in America.

As the top gaming site on the internet, IGN is passionate about nurturing the gaming scene. We believe that the main reason why America is not yet competitive in the eSports scene is the lack of events and sponsorships to support America's talent. IGN will be investing in accelerating the growth of the eSport scene in America."

Incontrol was invited over Tyler. lol.

http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/32611-IGNs_StarCraft_2_Proleague

zlatko

Banned
The last few pages of this thread have been nothing but epic. Trololols all over the place. Kudos gentlemen.

I'm excited to spend a ton of hours today with the new patch. Should be fun. :)

Mairu

IPL is pretty cool but if it's only a 16 player tournament with those players I doubt I'll watch much of it D:

Maybe it'll have a better player pool in the second season :|

Mairu

Corran Horn said:
eww
Thats a horrible tournament.
I wouldn't call it horrible, but the player pool leaves a lot to be desired if the league really has 150K+ in it. A lot of the recent invitational tournaments have had a much more exciting player list

What format is it gonna be ?

Is there gonna be further qualifications or these 16 players are gonna be the only ones there.

and yeah way to go missing out on one of the biggest names in the US.

mcrae

TheThunder said:
What format is it gonna be ?

Is there gonna be further qualifications or these 16 players are gonna be the only ones there.

and yeah way to go missing out on one of the biggest names in the US.

who?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Such excellent work MrMister.
It's actually really awesome to just have this community here where we all can do our roles and make something like this happen today.
TECHNOLOGY. Just need to get Corran better UL speed now. Been thinking about getting a new mic as well.
Mairu said:
I wouldn't call it horrible, but the player pool leaves a lot to be desired if the league really has 150K+ in it. A lot of the recent invitational tournaments have had a much more exciting player list
Yeah.
Honestly, I'd like a much better list of players for that amount of prize money.
Money draws the players.
Players draw the numbers.

Don't need so much money for that set of players imo.
If it is actually $150k+ that is absolute insanity this early on.

Still, I'm obviously happy more things are happening, just scared that it might burn itself out.

iNcontrol + Drewbie over Tyler + QXC? ROFL. That's like inviting me over Jaedong to a SC1 Starleague, especially in the case of iNcontrol v Tyler.

Ikuu

As mentioned QXC is still in Spain and hasn't exactly been performing well recently, surprised people aren't questioning Spades being invited as he's not exactly top tier.

Says alot about the US pro scene that they have trouble getting 16 great players together ;)

PhoenixDark said:
But people questioning the league's professionalism are dumb. Idra and a shit ton of other players clearly think highly of it, for more reasons than the prize pool.
It's got a decent prize pool and it's legit that's all they care about, IdrA entered some local LAN that paid like $100. Everything the NASL has released so far has been pretty shoddy, and has deserved the criticism.

zlatko

Banned
Go on ladder to level up my Zerg!

Try 7 roach rush(not all in variant). Get rolled 4/5 games.

Get sad and pick Protoss. Win all my games with 4 gate.

I suck at life. :/

V_Arnold

zlatko said:
Go on ladder to level up my Zerg!

Try 7 roach rush(not all in variant). Get rolled 4/5 games.

Get sad and pick Protoss. Win all my games with 4 gate.

I suck at life. :/

I get the feeling. I spent 9 hours practicing terran in Sunday.
Then a Zerg dude tells me "hey man, go back to zerg!".

I regain my spirits, go to zerg.... and the fucker kills me with 6 hellions.
FUCK.

Seriously, it is so sad sometimes, to see in comparison how binary zerg is. You either HAVE what you need to defend, or you dont. And then you are fucked up. :(

Meeru

Banned
V_Arnold said:
I get the feeling. I spent 9 hours practicing terran in Sunday.
Then a Zerg dude tells me "hey man, go back to zerg!".

I regain my spirits, go to zerg.... and the fucker kills me with 6 hellions.
FUCK.

Seriously, it is so sad sometimes, to see in comparison how binary zerg is. You either HAVE what you need to defend, or you dont. And then you are fucked up. :(
Applies to all races.

V_Arnold

Meeru said:
Applies to all races.

That is the thing, it does not. With Terran, I am having an 50/50 split of marines marauder early game, with other tech being made, and I WILL have a scan if a banshee arrives, I will have anti-air, I will have anti-ground and anti-armored. I do not need to realize "oh shit, I need a roach warren" because placing a tech lab to one of the barracks is NOT like having 30 lings die instantly to 6 hellions, and all drones too. Not the same.

zlatko

Banned
V_Arnold said:
That is the thing, it does not. With Terran, I am having an 50/50 split of marines marauder early game, with other tech being made, and I WILL have a scan if a banshee arrives, I will have anti-air, I will have anti-ground and anti-armored. I do not need to realize "oh shit, I need a roach warren" because placing a tech lab to one of the barracks is NOT like having 30 lings die instantly to 6 hellions, and all drones too. Not the same.

Yup. I'm still of course a major noob, so what I'm trying to say might be hard to place into words correctly, but:

Terran just has this luxury of building marines/marauders, and thanks to mules are able to afford to blindly put out turrets if it wants. Zerg early game has to be much more mindful of resource. Teching to lair too quick can cost you a game it seems if they never come with banshees and their first push has just more ground units and you have less because of going to lair. It's always like these small things add up to being such a big deal to when you clash against your opponent. I feel I'm in the dark very often playing as Zerg on trying to get info on my opponents, but a Terran can scan me, and a Protoss can just chuck an observer my way as it goes towards the Collasi it wants anyway.

Again, I'm a noob so many other things cost me a loss I'm sure, but I feel for Zerg players at higher levels who get a loss just from such small decisions.

syllogism

TheThunder said:
Not like there's a pool of great NA/EU zergs to choose from. Alternatively, he is great but unfortunately he plays zerg.

twofold

I'm really liking the map pool with this patch. I have backwater gulch and DQ downvoted but the rest of the maps are pretty damn good.

Good work, Blizzard.

Edit - This is hilarious.

http://i.imgur.com/yLiNd.jpg

Don't worry guys; you didn't lose that 1v1 - you came in 2nd place.

It's a photoshop job - but it's still amusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom