• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Come on Blizzard Europe, reset the god damn ladder.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
ultron87 said:
But don't you see, unless someone is in Masters they always have a 100 percent win ratio! If you can't see losses they don't exist right?

My self-esteem is sky rocketing! Thanks Blizzard!

Got some hydra drops for you if you want to be brought back down to earth.

Aylinato

Procarbine said:

i got a colosi waiting for your lil hydras =)

Colossus_SC2_Cncpt2.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jeff-DSA said:
I thought that the EU reset was going to happen tomorrow.
WHAT, really???

Spl1nter

Won my placement match got diamond. No surprise. I am so boss that I am already 1st in my diamond division. Was tvp and my opponent qq about mmm + ghost. So delightful.

Jeff-DSA

Spl1nter said:
Won my placement match got diamond. No surprise. I am so boss that I am already 1st in my diamond division. Was tvp and my opponent qq about mmm + ghost. So delightful.

Was he missing his CRYydarin amulet and warp in storms?

My buddy plays Protoss and even he's glad the upgrade is gone because of all the crying he'd endure when he'd use it.

Aylinato

Jeff-DSA said:
Was he missing his CRYydarin amulet and warp in storms?

My buddy plays Protoss and even he's glad the upgrade is gone because of all the crying he'd endure when he'd use it.

pfft, sometimes I'd forget to upgrade it and people would still say "storm IMBA"

Yoshichan

Lord_Nergal said:
Would you recommend starting from the very beginning of his daily video series?
Definitely not. Start watching from a couple of videos back imo.

Jeff-DSA

Lord_Nergal said:
Would you recommend starting from the very beginning of his daily video series?

That's a daunting task, I'd go through his Newbie Tuesdays first and then go to his more general videos. Funday Monday won't teach you much until you understand the game a bit deeper.

If you want a practice friend that's closer to your level, add me as a friend and we can play some 1v1 matches and talk about the results. My battle.net name is Jeff. Yeah, just "Jeff".

Just get started practicing some common builds. Get really good at them and then start adding your twists to the builds as you start developing your own style. SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT. Send an SCV out when you build your first depot at 9 supply and try to really keep an eye on your opponent as best as possible! Seeing what they're doing is the key to everything.

Haunted

NASL is so fucking stacked.

Tashi0106 said:
OK, that's cool by me. I'm going to create the thread then if that's OK. I don't know if anyone's claimed it already though.
haha lol now you have to make it, you mentio...

wait, you're actually volunteering to make the thread? That's awesome! Good man.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
twofold said:
Does Demuslim still have a broken hand? Surprised to see him missing from the lineup.

broken hand takes.... 6 weeks to heal? 2 months? It's been that. but fair enough if he's not 100% committed now (altho we know he could take out boxer + incontrol)

10 Koreans, which I thought would be the perfect number. Glad to see it happen.

Still bothered by people like Incontrol and Vibe being there but not Minigun who's far more accomplished than both, but whatever, It was obvious that incontrol is gonna get in giving his connection and where he actually does his stracraft work from.

Hope they deliver when it comes to production now.

Jeff-DSA

HolyCheck said:
broken hand takes.... 6 weeks to heal? 2 months? It's been that. but fair enough if he's not 100% committed now (altho we know he could take out boxer + incontrol)

I broke my wrist, and after it's healed the worst part is getting your strength and stamina back up in the muscles. I imagine after he's healed up he's going to need some rehab to not cramp up after long training sessions.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Jeff-DSA said:
I broke my wrist, and after it's healed the worst part is getting your strength and stamina back up in the muscles. I imagine after he's healed up he's going to need some rehab to not cramp up after long training sessions.

awesome, ty i've never had a broken anything, I can imagine it would take a while to be / feel 100% comfortable with it again

ultron87

Procarbine said:

*blames the map because you had to walk 27 miles between bases and there were gigantic drop zones in the mains*

*self-esteem unaffected*

Yoshichan

HolyCheck said:
awesome, ty i've never had a broken anything, I can imagine it would take a while to be / feel 100% comfortable with it again
It's a pain in the ass... trust me :(

Deadly

I think I'm going to play crappy during my new placement matches to get into a lower league and then rank up slowly. Bad idea?

Yoshichan

Deadly said:
I think I'm going to play crappy during my new placement matches to get into a lower league and then rank up slowly. Bad idea?
Excellent idea imo

ezrarh

scogoth said:
I expect grandmasters from you

in starbattle only

and deadly, it doesn't really matter. matchmaking will do the job of matching you against players you should be playing after several games anyway, regardless of league but if you want to stomp on some noobs, you could tank placement match.

Deadly

ezrarh said:
in starbattle only

and deadly, it doesn't really matter. matchmaking will do the job of matching you against players you should be playing after several games anyway, regardless of league but if you want to stomp on some noobs, you could tank placement match.
K I'll do that. Worst comes to worst it'll at least boost confidence level :lol

scogoth

Deadly said:
K I'll do that. Worst comes to worst it'll at least boost confidence level :lol

Thats what I did. Silver players don't know what hit them when a 200 toss army is at there front door and they have 2 tanks a few marine mauraders and 12 scvs. Meanwhile I'm on 8 base to there 1.

Yoshichan

scogoth said:
Thats what I did. Silver players don't know what hit them when a 200 toss army is at there front door and they have 2 tanks a few marine mauraders and 12 scvs. Meanwhile I'm on 8 base to there 1.
That's just mean.

I 3 rax all in them, their response is almost always worth it: "how the fuck u get so many marines this early"

scogoth

Yoshichan said:
That's just mean.

I 3 rax all in them, their response is almost always worth it: "how the fuck u get so many marines this early"

Yeah sometimes I just 2 gate them and stop at 18 supply. I don't need more the 4 zealots to finish the game. Mean? Maybe but at least I can practice my micro, and I really do need the practice (see ff on game one me vs twosocks).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
scogoth said:
Thats what I did. Silver players don't know what hit them when a 200 toss army is at there front door
man i dont even know what to do when that happens.

make banelings i guess.

Jeff-DSA said:
That's a daunting task, I'd go through his Newbie Tuesdays first and then go to his more general videos. Funday Monday won't teach you much until you understand the game a bit deeper.

If you want a practice friend that's closer to your level, add me as a friend and we can play some 1v1 matches and talk about the results. My battle.net name is Jeff. Yeah, just "Jeff".

Just get started practicing some common builds. Get really good at them and then start adding your twists to the builds as you start developing your own style. SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT. Send an SCV out when you build your first depot at 9 supply and try to really keep an eye on your opponent as best as possible! Seeing what they're doing is the key to everything.

I'll have to take you up on that. I'm trying to develop a good build order, but I need to learn to start production of an army faster. My first game against an actual human ended in failure after 30 minutes because I let my economy get destroyed by a poorly placed depot at my front door.

Oh well, live and learn.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Deadly said:
Just play normally and you'll end up in the right division, playing people much worse than you will only make you a weaker player.

Ecto311

(._.) said:
Will play mine either later or tomorrow. Hope I get gold :\

What are you before you play it? I was #1 bronze and won my placement - putting me at 62 in bronze. I was a silver in 4v4 - played that placement to warm up and got gold.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
North American Star League – The Players

We hope that this will shed some light to the community about our application and selection process. On February 1st I contacted as many teams as I could and allowed them to begin preparing. These are the people/teams that fell under the category of “direct approach.” When we opened the application process, I contacted those teams again to allow them to officially submit their players. Anyone whose team manager was not directly contacted was part of the “public application” pool.

Because we were running at a fairly tight deadline, we had to close the application period at March 16th – we were not able to consider all the “public applications” received after this time. This applies to players such as DIMAGA, Kas, and LaLuSh, for example. Now, to clarify: the “application” is not just the video. The application is complete when the contract has been signed. The process for a public application was for them to send their application video along with manager contact information to apply@nasl.tv . After receiving their info, I would then send the contracts out to be signed. LaLuSh, DIMAGA, and Kas did not follow this application process.

Why does this bureaucracy matter?

We have deadlines. The contracts needed to be received before we could officially count any player in the league, and we needed time to do that. We needed to confirm every one of the 50 players before our website launched, to prepare content, and before the league starts, to ensure that it runs smoothly. Furthermore, because we need to run a broadcast schedule five days a week every week, we had quite a bit of concern over players who were unable to quickly follow these guidelines.

Now that that’s out of the way…

We had a grand total of 104 applications. We immediately eliminated 30 applicants who either: a) didn’t have a video with their application, or b) posted a video on youtube without actually applying. This left us with 74 players on our board. Next, we separated the 74 players by region: Asia, Europe, and North America. After separating the players by region, we went down the list and selected players who: a) were considered “top” players and b) were fan favorites, starting in North America (KiWiKaKi, SeleCT, and IdrA for example), followed by Europe (MorroW, White-Ra, and TLO for example), and Asia (July, MC, and Boxer for example). After this first round we had: 9 North Americans, 8 Europeans, and 6 Koreans.

Before the second round, we went backwards through the list, eliminating the lowest skilled/fame in a group of amazing players: (Cezanne, KenZy, Antimage for example). Then we went back through the regions to select the “second tier” list of admitted players, again based on results and popularity. Players in this list included (some examples: KawaiiRice, Axslav, Haypro, HasuObs, and Ace). This left us with 42 total invites, and 8 remaining spots for the third round of selection.
At this point, we had a two day debate about the remaining players, in which we went to the poll and the application videos to help make our selections. Players who made the final cut included MoMaN and Dde for example. This left us with the North American Star League’s 50 players.

How did we group the players?

The first thing we did is separate teammates – we put all teammates in different groups. The next thing we did was to look at fun and exciting rivals and try to pair them: I.E. IdrA vs Tyler, Zenio… and Grubby vs Moon. After this, we attempted to create an equal balance between races and regions. Two Koreans were placed in each group, and each group has a balance of 4-3-3 (races). We also used our selection process to help the grouping, separating those selected in the first round in different groups, etc.

Overall, we chose 3-4 players (Artosis, Grubby, MoMaN) who were designated as “fan favorites” and 3-4 players (ViBe, CrunCher, DarkforcE) who may be considered “underdogs.” The rest of the players were chosen based on their results and skill level.

Why we picked them

Stalife: Stalife took 2nd place in the EG Masters Cup, multiple ESL Go4SC2 victories (including 1st in the Monthly final), and over $3,500 in prizes won, Stalife has shown to be one of the most underrated players in NA.

ViBe: Nearly qualified for the TSL and had an impressive showing at MLG Dallas 2010, proving that he is one of those up and comers we want to see in this event.

CrunCher: He validated our pick by defeating IdrA in the TSL, but his qualification was impressive as well, taking down top players in an official setting.

Dde: Similar to ViBe, Dde is another player whose results in online cups consistently puts him in the top3 and leads us to believe that he has the potential to surprise many people in the North American Star League.

Grubby: One of the most legendary RTS players of all time – he’s shown some good games at the
Assembly LAN and the FXOpen Invitational. He is one person that we’re sure everyone would love to see succeed.

MoMaN: He’s played pretty well in online cups, and we were really as impressed with his application video, which was one of the most popular we received. He was an easy “fan favorite” choice for us.

Artosis: Artosis posted some good results in the beta stages when he was active, qualifying for the first GSL. Now that he will be active again, we believe he can surprise many people, and of course was one of our fan choices!

Why we didn’t pick them

DeMusliM: He was wearing a cast in his application video, standing outside of a hospital saying that he just had another procedure done, we can't really choose a player who hasn't played in months and have him work his way back into shape in the actual league.

Kas: Despite being late, he actually applied correctly. However, Ukraine does not have a VISA waiver program with the US, and we only wanted players who have demonstrated travel to the US before – having a “high risk” player is something we didn’t want (I.E. we don’t want a situation where visa problems would stop a player like Kas from showing up to the finals).

*Note: players such as White-Ra have demonstrated on numerous occasions that he can travel to the US without problem, and we officially verified that BRAT_OK has a B1 VISA that allows him to travel to the US.

NightEnD: Same reason as Kas. He assured us that he could get a VISA, but we only accepted players who actually have a copy of a VISA that they could show us.

Minigun: This was a difficult pick, however, due to our attempt to balance by race and region, we only had room for one more Protoss. We essentially made a judgment call between two very very good players; and chose Cruncher over Minigun.

FruitDealer: Incomplete application forced us to remove him from consideration

Who didn’t apply

DIMAGA: Application video past the deadline, neither him or his manager contacted me, so they were never sent contracts.

Jinro: Did not sign contract, probably to focus on GSL

HuK: Did not sign contract, probably to focus on GSL

IM: Nobody from team IM applied

Prime: Only asked about applying after the application process was over

Final Remarks

Unfortunately, in a tournament with 50 players, it is impossible to create a list that will satisfy everyone. We tried our best to make the most objective list we could. Remember, we have 16 spots next season that will be up for grabs. We encourage everyone to sign up for the Open Tournament and Seasonal Qualifier – especially those that we unfortunately couldn’t select to be in the league this season.

We hope that you all will enjoy the league and know that this process was lengthy and no decision was made hastily or without a great deal of thought.

From TL about why certain players were chosen.

Q8D3vil

went to nasl.tv and saw the list of players.

player who imo are not worthy to be in the league:-
Artosis - ViBe - Grubby - Haypro - Slush - incontrol

there is other names but i don't know how good they are like moman, dde and darkforce.

don't hate me people but its obvious they choose artosis and other players like moon and grubby just because they are famous and not because they have any accomplishment in the game.
as someone mentioned the fact that they didn't invite a great player like minigun is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom