• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcrae

pretty cool panda. ive never done a baneling bomb. that and infestors, and burrow roaches i need to try doign more... ive researched burrow less than half a dozen times i think lol.

to the zergs out there: i tend to keep at least 2/3 of my lings far outside my base, so that when the opponent attacks its easy to get a surround and usually hopefully kill them. anyone else do this?

DaFish

pieatorium said:
Did you read the post about why people where invited? some of the picks were for popularity, they say that and said that from the begining, it was the whole point of the video applications. These were only a handful of the choices. Overall there are only a few of the non "fan favourites" that are questionable. Machine and Incontrol never really done much as far as results. Never really heard of Vibe or dde but apparently (according to some TL posters) they have been smashing up the smaller tourneys over in US so at least thats something. Painuser hasn't done anything since MLG Dallas afaik. Never heard of Stalife, noone knew who Cruncher was before he beat Idra in tsl games.

I remember inControl saying on SotG that the voting page wasn't going to have any effect on the players chosen.

Trickster

Spl1nter said:
So many undeserving gaf members in higher leagues than they should be because they play toss.

Don't you play terran?

Must be hard to make marine/marauders and 1a+stim in order to win most games.

Elcheris

Neo Member
After much thought and crying in a corner, I have devised a reason as to why I got slapped back into diamond. I only made it in at the ending of the last season, so my MMR probably wasn't so amazing. Now, when the ladder resets and Masters is the top 2% of diamond or w.e, the spots quickly fill up. Then when I come home late and play my game, my sub par MMR is not considered masters worthy for the current active base of the ladder (because the ladder just reset there are not many people who have played it.)

Or its because im terrible.

Spl1nter

Trickster said:
Don't you play terran?

Must be hard to make marine/marauders and 1a+stim in order to win most games.

Arent you euro.

Dont you just be trash and are henceforth eurotrash

Good job not being in NeoGaf NA Channel

scogoth

Elcheris said:
After much thought and crying in a corner, I have devised a reason as to why I got slapped back into diamond. I only made it in at the ending of the last season, so my MMR probably wasn't so amazing. Now, when the ladder resets and Masters is the top 2% of diamond or w.e, the spots quickly fill up. Then when I come home late and play my game, my sub par MMR is not considered masters worthy for the current active base of the ladder (because the ladder just reset there are not many people who have played it.)

I believe.

Slavik81

Elcheris said:

If you're terrible, the rest of GAF must be downright atrocious.

evangd007

Ikuu said:
I like how they narrowed it down to CrunCher vs Minigun, yet Incontrol gets invited with a weaker record than both of them. DeMuslim is out of practice and so no invite, but Artosis hasn't played since October and has recently switched but he's a fan fav so invite him :lol

They also confirmed that the groups weren't random (as everyone thought) which I'm not a fan of either.

Not having the brackets be random will increase competition within the divisions, as well as match-up variety thanks to the 4-3-3 race spread (though how do they count TLO who is random?). It's similar to the NFL, where the Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East.

evangd007 said:
Not having the brackets be random will increase competition within the divisions, as well as match-up variety thanks to the 4-3-3 race spread (though how do they count TLO who is random?). It's similar to the NFL, where the Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East.
GSL wasn't completely random either at the start with the splitting up of foreigners.

EviLore said:
Incontrol directing, producing, organizing, promoting, and casting the NASL, does he really need to be giving himself a spot to play in the league too? Especially over more deserving competitors.

Reduces the credibility of the organization.

How does that reduce the credibility at all? Artosis much of that for GOM TV and if he could qualify he'd be playing in the GSL as well as casting it.

Given the money involved I'm not worried. Plus InControl is a humble, hard working dude - I trust him to get this right, and he's surrounded by people as talented and goal oriented as him.

PhoenixDark said:
How does that reduce the credibility at all? Artosis much of that for GOM TV and if he could qualify he'd be playing in the GSL as well as casting it.

Given the money involved I'm not worried. Plus InControl is a humble, hard working dude - I trust him to get this right, and he's surrounded by people as talented and goal oriented as him.
Artosis actually has to qualify rather than being invited.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
pieatorium said:
Artosis actually has to qualify rather than being invited.
Also Artosis just casts/promotes the games. He does nothing behind the scenes. They mentioned how people like John couldnt play because of that in the past.

Jeff-DSA

I played and won my placement match. The guy got all salty with me at the end when he couldn't continue running to lay down a new nexus or some hidden structure to extend the inevitable. Our end of game conversation went like this:

Him: I thought were were going to be different. I guess not.
Me: What do you mean?
Him: Same strategy as every other. People are too stupid to do different builds.
Me: I scouted, you didn't. You just kept sending DTs and void rays. When you didn't put out a colossus, I just went big bio and upgraded.
Him: I'm making you kill every last unit and building.
Me: Fine, you're getting revealed anyway. By the way, if you're seeing the same strategy over and over and you keep losing, change yours. Don't keep running headfirst into a wall. Go over it or around it.

At this point I finally destroyed his last probe and pylon and it finally ended. Lame. Basically he's mad that his dumb build didn't catch me off guard, and despite him destroying my 3rd base he wasn't equipped to handle my big death push that came soon after.

Yu8Hl.jpg

Haha, it's almost like he's breaking up with me...

cdyhybrid

Good lord Blizzard, are you kidding me? I was Silver last season, lose my placement, and get put in Gold. Now I'm getting steamrolled every game. Getting put on giant maps every game, can't find my opponents for-fucking-ever to scout them, they one base push me every game, crushing my early expo. Just nothing I can do. I have no fucking clue how or why I got put in Gold. What a waste of time.

Edit: And after reviewing match history, it's placing me against top 8 Gold players and Plat players? What the fuck?

scogoth

cdyhybrid said:
Good lord Blizzard, are you kidding me? I was Silver last season, lose my placement, and get put in Gold. Now I'm getting steamrolled every game. Getting put on giant maps every game, can't find my opponents for-fucking-ever to scout them, they one base push me every game, crushing my early expo. Just nothing I can do. I have no fucking clue how or why I got put in Gold. What a waste of time.

Edit: And after reviewing match history, it's placing me against top 8 Gold players and Plat players? What the fuck?

Apparently you where winning a lot before the ladder reset. So you have options

1) Lose a lot drop back into lower leagues
2) Get someone to teach you and roll all the gold/plats

cdyhybrid

scogoth said:
Apparently you where winning a lot before the ladder reset. So you have options

1) Lose a lot drop back into lower leagues
2) Get someone to teach you and roll all the gold/plats

Gonna have to be 1. I just can't compete with these players. I'm always like one larva vomit away from holding off their push and I just can't stabilize. If I had like 30 more seconds every game I'd hold it off and be far, far ahead, but I just can't do it.

Edit: Doesn't help that every god damn game is ZvZ (my least favorite matchup) on Scrap Station (my least favorite map out of the ones I haven't voted off).

mcrae

cdyhybrid said:

why are you early expanding if you havent scouted?

cdyhybrid

mcrae said:
why are you early expanding if you havent scouted?

I was a Silver player before the reset. I early expand because it's the only build I'm decent at, and it usually worked in Silver. Even if they pushed off one base, I could usually hold it in Silver. Not so in Gold, I'm usually 30 seconds behind. Another ZvZ just now. Strongly considering switching races so I don't have to play ZvZ anymore. Out of my 10ish games tonight only two have been T or P.

Edit: And scouting doesn't help when you don't know what you're looking for. My scouting at the moment basically consists of "OK, he's not 6pooling/bunker rushing/proxy building, and he's going to be making X unit." Beyond that, I can't tell if he's just building some units for D or actually going to push until I see that he has 20 roaches and is moving out, at which point it's obviously too late. I think I'm just gonna tank down to Bronze.

Keikaku

What the . . . just did my placement match against the worst Terran ever. We're playing cross positions on Taldarim Altar and he marches his first 3 Marines over to my base to die to my Stalker. Hell, even my Zealot gets 1 of them.

I figure the guys an idiot and decide to 4-gate. I make the proxy pylon, build up a small ball of about 6-7 Zealots, 10 Stalkers, 2 Sentries to find . . . 2 Tanks without seige, 1 Hellion and a bunker full of marines. I kill everything and start to work on his buildings. He then lifts and flies off with his Command Center into bumblefuck nowhere.

When my voids find his CC a while later and I kill him, I'm placed in Gold. I look at this dudes record-that was his first game.

?!?

Spl1nter said:
So many undeserving gaf members in higher leagues than they should be because they play toss.
If you keep this stupidity up Yoshi will have to fight for the title of biggest baby, you been trespassin on his turf too much recently.

Oh and FYI. Typical Micro Battle.

Zerg
1A, 2A(Flank), 4BFFFTTTTTTTTT, 3X, 1A,2AClickBClickBClickBClickBClickB

Protoss
2G, 1A, 2FFFFFFFFFFF, 3A, 4TTT, 3ClickBClickBClickBClickBClickB

Terran
1TA,A,A,A,A,T,A,A,A,A

fanboi

Banned
I can't fathom the skill Splinter have in inciting madness from other members.

It's a new form of art!

Son, if you where as good in SC2 as in trolling you would be Master A+++++ Mega super man.

fanboi

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Tal'Darim Altar LE is so perfect for Baneling drops in the naturals.

I choked on my toothbrush.

Will try next game I play.

Fanboi are you trying to imply that the above is not true? Shame on you!

Regarding Splinter or regarding micro battle?

Splinter = Joker so he pulls his little strings on his puppets and all shit breaks loose, quite funny to see.

Micro battle = Protos deathball is only A+left click mouse. Played a game against Knives where we had 200/200 each, and he didn't even mind the battle, he focused on macroing...

Thats because Knivies is much better than you ATM. 200 v 200 zerg looses, you should know that. If knives had to "try" you would of had to been FF and stormed same as every other zerg with blink micro so stalkers don't die =)

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:
Thats because Knivies is much better than you ATM. 200 v 200 zerg looses, you should know that. If knives had to "try" you would of had to been FF and stormed same as every other zerg with blink micro so stalkers don't die =)

Yes, he is much better, but this is my point, 200/200 deathball from P is way worse then any other unit composition in the game.

He didn't even have one sentry...

Trickster

fanboi said:
I can't fathom the skill Splinter have in inciting madness from other members.

It's a new form of art!

Son, if you where as good in SC2 as in trolling you would be Master A+++++ Mega super man.

While I choose to respond to him even though I realize he's just trolling, I'm kinda surprised he's been allowed to get away with using the term eurotrash the way he does.

Wonder what would happen if someone started to throw around "americunts", or something equally dumb, in a similar fashion.

fanboi

Banned
Trickster said:
While I choose to respond to him even though I realize he's just trolling, I'm kinda surprised he's been allowed to get away with using the term eurotrash the way he does.

Wonder what would happen if someone started to throw around "americunts", or something equally dumb, in a similar fashion.

From the days of the Beta we have always been EU > NA, NA >>>> EU, EU >>> CA >>>>>>>>>>> NA etc.

Just friendly bm talk. Nothing to get upset about.

Also getting banned for calling a whole continent "trash" is quite harsh imo.

mcrae

cdyhybrid said:
I was a Silver player before the reset. I early expand because it's the only build I'm decent at, and it usually worked in Silver. Even if they pushed off one base, I could usually hold it in Silver. Not so in Gold, I'm usually 30 seconds behind. Another ZvZ just now. Strongly considering switching races so I don't have to play ZvZ anymore. Out of my 10ish games tonight only two have been T or P.

Edit: And scouting doesn't help when you don't know what you're looking for. My scouting at the moment basically consists of "OK, he's not 6pooling/bunker rushing/proxy building, and he's going to be making X unit." Beyond that, I can't tell if he's just building some units for D or actually going to push until I see that he has 20 roaches and is moving out, at which point it's obviously too late. I think I'm just gonna tank down to Bronze.

i probably play at like gold-plat level, but im in silver league, my situation is opposite yours lol so take my advice with a grain on salt..

what i do is send out a drone at 14, see fi they are going to be early pressure or not, if not then i continue building the expo that i set up at 15, then get the drone out of there if possible. build a set of lings as soon as possible, send one up the ramp a minute or so later, if you see a big knot of units, make more lings and get ready for a push with 3-4 spines. if not, you should have an overlord on each side of the base, and some gas by now. get overseer tech and drop some changelings, if you REALLY like information you can get overlord/seer speed too and use them for scouting.

basically try to get a general idea of the composition of the enemies force, and have your army be slightly underpowered in comparison. when you see they are moving out build some quick static defense and a ton of units so that now your army is bigger than theirs when they attack. another fun tactic is to have your army outside of your base (or at least your speedlings) and then to sandwich their army between your static defense on one side, and your army attacking from their behind on the other.

aside from that the second you see collossus be sure to throw up a spire and get corrupters. anything like dts, drops, ghosts should all be scoutable as well.

ChronicleX said:
If you keep this stupidity up Yoshi will have to fight for the title of biggest baby, you been trespassin on his turf too much recently.

Oh and FYI. Typical Micro Battle.

Zerg
1A, 2A(Flank), 4BFFFTTTTTTTTT, 3X, 1A,2AClickBClickBClickBClickBClickB

Protoss
2G, 1A, 2FFFFFFFFFFF, 3A, 4TTT, 3ClickBClickBClickBClickBClickB

Terran
1TA,A,A,A,A,T,A,A,A,A

who is that zerg fighting that he is not fungaling but rebuilding mutas? what a nub.

fanboi said:
But... you said things where "gay" etc... so you might had it coming.
That was only on IRC because a certain someone gotRAAAAAGGEEEE everytime I did it.

mescalineeyes said:
who is that zerg fighting that he is not fungaling but rebuilding mutas? what a nub.
You have your hatch's on 4 and not 6-9 like normal people? Shame on you!

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:
That was only on IRC because a certain someone gotRAAAAAGGEEEE everytime I did it.

You have your hatch's on 4 and not 6-9 like normal people? Shame on you!

No you did type it here as well and I told you to edit it...

So the EU ladder has reset, played my placement match before I went to work this morning. Won a suitably epic PvZ, despite devil trying to distract me, and stayed in platinum.

I don't know exactly when the reset happened but some people in my new division had already played 15+ games :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom