• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I like how they narrowed it down to CrunCher vs Minigun, yet Incontrol gets invited with a weaker record than both of them. DeMuslim is out of practice and so no invite, but Artosis hasn't played since October and has recently switched but he's a fan fav so invite him :lol

They also confirmed that the groups weren't random (as everyone thought) which I'm not a fan of either.

Mairu

Ikuu said:
I like how they narrowed it down to CrunCher vs Minigun, yet Incontrol gets invited with a weaker record than both of them. DeMuslim is out of practice and so no invite, but Artosis hasn't played since October and has recently switched but he's a fan fav so invite him :lol

They also confirmed that the groups weren't random (as everyone thought) which I'm not a fan of either.
pretty sure they confirmed the groups weren't random before any of the players were announced when they said they wanted to avoid team kills

Ikuu said:
From TL about why certain players were chosen.
Seems reasonable, with the exception of it was down to Minigun vs Cruncher when both are better than Incontrol but I'm done harping on that point.

I hope Dimaga, Losira and NesTea would qualify in the next open, because we need crazy Zergs and July alone is not enough.

Ikuu

Mairu said:
pretty sure they confirmed the groups weren't random before any of the players were announced when they said they wanted to avoid team kills
Well for a start that rule is just stupid, but they could have worked it so that the rule wouldn't be broken and the groups would still be random.

Ikuu said:
Well for a start that rule is just stupid, but they could have worked it so that the rule wouldn't be broken and the groups would still be random.
GSL did it for foreigners in the open season so they won't meet each other first round.

It changed in 2011 since everything is done by seed now.

Deadly

I'm not that happy about the Cruncher vs minigun also. minigun seemed like a great player.

As for the the matchups I'm glad about the separated teammates in order to avoid team kills but the other explanation was just meh. Something like separate the teammates+randomize the rest would be ok (if that's doable)

Won

The reasoning for the lack of Minigun is dumb, even ignoring the fact that Incontrol got in.....

Also Nightend seems seriously pissed.

ultron87

I didn't realize that being able to travel to the U.S from some countries had such potential difficulties.

Guess it kind of makes sense that they wanted that stuff sorted out before hand.

twofold

Won said:
The reasoning for the lack of Minigun is dumb, even ignoring the fact that Incontrol got in.....

Also Nightend seems seriously pissed.

He seems more upset than anything. Reading his posts, it's hard not to feel for the guy.

I can't believe the nasl didn't tell the unsuccessful applicants that they didn't get in ahead of time. So, so dumb.

Haunted

minigun.jpg

fighting!

Will ROOT for him in the open qualifiers for sure.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Incontrol directing, producing, organizing, promoting, and casting the NASL, does he really need to be giving himself a spot to play in the league too? Especially over more deserving competitors.

Reduces the credibility of the organization.

Ecto311

EviLore said:
Incontrol directing, producing, organizing, promoting, and casting the NASL, does he really need to be giving himself a spot to play in the league too? Especially over more deserving competitors.

Being a new person to this whole community (since the launch anyway) I agree. Someone posted a link showing that inControl has only earned $200 playing SC2 in competition. I think I could make that much being a badass bronze.

ezrarh

Ecto311 said:
Being a new person to this whole community (since the launch anyway) I agree. Someone posted a link showing that inControl has only earned $200 playing SC2 in competition. I think I could make that much being a badass bronze.

Incontrol is still riding on reputation from BW..he hasn't done anything in SC2 except overcharge fools with a lot of money to throw around.

Haunted

Ecto311 said:
Earned in a showmatch vs Painuser, btw.

Spl1nter

Cheeto said:
Did my placement match and got diamond... i'm coming for you canadians

lol the system is completely broken if you got diamond.

Huge congrats man. Could tell you have improved a lot when we played yesterday. Well deserved.

Cheeto

Spl1nter said:
lol the system is completely broken if you got diamond.

Huge congrats man. Could tell you have improved a lot when we played yesterday. Well deserved.
Yeah, man we had an epic like 45 minute game where we both we're mining pretty much the entire map and you didn't even GG... so bm

mcrae

so for placement matches, is the general consensus that things such as apm, relative unit count, etc factor into placement in season 2?

Spl1nter

mcrae said:
so for placement matches, is the general consensus that things such as apm, relative unit count, etc factor into placement in season 2?

doubt it. Just realigning the divisions since some people dont play the game anymore

mcrae said:

Huh? No, those things have NOTHING to do with placement. (And they don't have anything to do with skill either.)

Placement is purely determined by the level of players you beat, and the level of players you lose to.

Cheeto

mcrae said:
Nah I doubt it, I think its just placing you based on your MMR at the end of season 1 instead of waiting for the usual arbitrary time to promote/demote you

gah had this huge ass post about NASL almost done then somehow wiped it, anyhow heres a short verrsion.

Incontrol can give out shit but can't take it, makes him look like a manbaby.

I agree that his involvement with the league should exclude him but if he wasn't involved you could argue a spot for him among the "fan favourites" but if you were to have another of those spots then it should go to Cella he is at least liked and has similar results as artosis as far as GSL qaul.

ST got 4/10 of the Korean invites, must be happy with there Torch pickup I'm sure he helped alot. Some notable Koreans (TSL guys) that applied passed over for guys like Ace,Squirtle they mention Fruitdealer app being late but not the others. Not bagging Ace or Squirtle but would be better for more split in teams though imo.

Ikuu

They rejected DeMuslim as they assumed he wouldn't be ready in time, sounds like they didn't even try and get in touch with him.

Incontrol most definitely can't take it as much as he likes to dish it out, pretty funny watching him duck any question asking why he was invited.

Also my tip for who will win the whole thing is oGsZenio even though he is in the group of death he's got form in online tourneys placing second in FXOpen, has the best ZvZ of his group and I don't think the Terrans in his group will trouble him (go find his BO 5 from the FXOpen vs Strelok in lower braket finals it was epic).

Trickster

I find it funny how incontrol has gone from being a seemingly well liked person when he was hyping the NASL, to now where a lot of people seem to hate him.

Personally I don't really give a shit if its incontrol or minigun in the tournament.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Trickster said:
I find it funny how incontrol has gone from being a seemingly well liked person when he was hyping the NASL, to now where a lot of people seem to hate him.

Personally I don't really give a shit if its incontrol or minigun in the tournament.
being popular doesnt mean he can abuse his popularity without recourse.

he's a good guy and a decent pro player, but he's not as good as the people whose spot he's taking.

DaFish

EviLore said:

Artossis made it in... there is your cred right there

Wallach

EviLore said:

I'd rather he play than cast. Now when he gets bounced he's still going to be hovering around the whole time. This is really going to hurt my enjoyment of NASL if he doesn't improve his casting dramatically.

Striek

mcrae said:
These things have never counted. The matchmaking system is entirely based on wins and losses.

DaFish said:
Artossis made it in... there is your cred right there
Yeah but Artosis isn't involved with NASL otherwise.

If Incontrol wasn't involved with NASL he most definitely would've still been invited based on his popularity and level of community involvement, and people wouldn't be complaining too much about it for the same reason Artosis isn't complained about. However he is involved in NASL, so he has a responsibility to make the selection look unbiased.

Really the issue for me is just how convoluted it all is, from the mechanics of the league itself to these selections. Eh. Really making me indifferent to the whole affair. I'll tune in for specific matchups, but not really tempted to follow.

DaFish

Striek said:
These things have never counted. The matchmaking system is entirely based on wins and losses.

Yeah but Artosis isn't involved with NASL otherwise.

If Incontrol wasn't involved with NASL he most definitely would've still been invited based on his popularity and level of community involvement, and people wouldn't be complaining too much about it for the same reason Artosis isn't complained about. However he is involved in NASL, so he has a responsibility to make the selection look unbiased.

oh so its a popularity contest? okay

Striek

a176 said:
why else do you think they had to make those stupid videos
Yeah. And they only took one player as a result of those videos - the one which was voted most popular (MoMans). Of course it was going to be a popularity contest from the start.

DaFish said:
oh so its a popularity contest? okay
Did you read the post about why people where invited? some of the picks were for popularity, they say that and said that from the begining, it was the whole point of the video applications. These were only a handful of the choices. Overall there are only a few of the non "fan favourites" that are questionable. Machine and Incontrol never really done much as far as results. Never really heard of Vibe or dde but apparently (according to some TL posters) they have been smashing up the smaller tourneys over in US so at least thats something. Painuser hasn't done anything since MLG Dallas afaik. Never heard of Stalife, noone knew who Cruncher was before he beat Idra in tsl games.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
pieatorium said:
Did you read the post about why people where invited? some of the picks were for popularity, they say that and said that from the begining, it was the whole point of the video applications. These were only a handful of the choices. Overall there are only a few of the non "fan favourites" that are questionable. Machine and Incontrol never really done much as far as results. Never really heard of Vibe or dde but apparently (according to some TL posters) they have been smashing up the smaller tourneys over in US so at least thats something. Painuser hasn't done anything since MLG Dallas afaik. Never heard of Stalife, noone knew who Cruncher was before he beat Idra in tsl games.

Stalife invented the Stalife drop! the man needs nothing else!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ikuu said:
They rejected DeMuslim as they assumed he wouldn't be ready in time, sounds like they didn't even try and get in touch with him.

Incontrol most definitely can't take it as much as he likes to dish it out, pretty funny watching him duck any question asking why he was invited.
Its funny to watch people troll him on his stream. He gets so mad lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom