• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lord_Nergal said:
Anyone feel like critiquing my lowly bronze league play? Any tips would be really helpful.
Going to type while I watch this,

1: No point in doing supply, barrack, supply against a protoss. You don't need that much food count right now so keep pumping those SCVs after your barrack :).

2: It's never, ever good to buffer up units. It takes away your resources that you could've used on something else (maybe another rax, a refinery or more SCVs).

3: You should almost always upgrade to Orbital Command when your barrack is complete.

4: When you're sending something to scout, an easier way of doing it would be to shift click your destination(s). That way your scout will go to all places without you needing to manually control him.

5: You built an engineering bay super early, but didn't use it for anything at all. Make sure that if you're about to build upgrading structures, make use of its stuff as soon as the structure's complete.

6: You're sitting on around 500 minerals very early at the game. Use it on something!

7: You just built your THIRD starport but you're not producing anything out of any of them. edit: and when you started building something, you buffered two banshees from the same starport. Even if you had three starports out.

8: Don't right click on enemies unless you want focus fire on it. Press A then right click BEHIND the opponents army.

Deadly

Battlecruiser movement speed increased from 1.406 to 1.875.

Although we don’t want to see battlecruisers used in every terran late game, we noticed they’re hardly ever used at all. To encourage their use in more games, we decided to buff their biggest weakness, movement speed.
How about them carriers then?

Yoshichan said:
1: No point in doing supply, barrack, supply against a protoss. You don't need that much food count right now so keep pumping those SCVs after your barrack :).

Yeah, just fended off my first cannon rush with SCV's. This seems kinda silly in hindsight. Thanks for your tips, I still have a LOT to learn.

scogoth

mescalineeyes said:
people who can not have a rational discussion based on facts and/or ACTUAL personal experience rather than a delusion have no place on a forum.

I thought thats what most forums were.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lord_Nergal said:
Yeah, just fended off my first cannon rush with SCV's. This seems kinda silly in hindsight. Thanks for your tips, I still have a LOT to learn.
Doing good bro! Kill those fucking toss~

Man, just tried the rest of those tips Yoshi. Completely slaughtered a zerg and had a massive army much earlier than usual. Gotta remember to use all my resources and not waste 'em.

Yoshichan

Lord_Nergal said:
Man, just tried the rest of those tips Yoshi. Completely slaughtered a zerg and had a massive army much earlier than usual. Gotta remember to use all my resources and not waste 'em.
Hell yes, now you're getting it!

I remember telling my friend that wanted to learn SC2 "When you have over 300 minerals, build another barrack". Surely, he ended up building over 15 rax each game :lol at that point I had to tell him to stop, but he did manage to pump out so many units it's not even funny. Slaughtered himself from bronze to low gold.

Yoshichan said:
Hell yes, now you're getting it!

I remember telling my friend that wanted to learn SC2 "When you have over 300 minerals, build another barrack". Surely, he ended up building over 15 rax each game :lol at that point I had to tell him to stop, but he did manage to pump out so many units it's not even funny. Slaughtered himself from bronze to low gold.

I think that's been one of my biggest problems. I will build some factories, barracks, starports, but only two of one, one of the others. Then I end up sitting on 2500 minerals. I need to remember to start building more unit producing buildings more often. :/ It will come with time I suppose.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Awesome Animals said:
I think that's been one of my biggest problems. I will build some factories, barracks, starports, but only two of one, one of the others. Then I end up sitting on 2500 minerals. I need to remember to start building more unit producing buildings more often. :/ It will come with time I suppose.

If you find yourself doing it often in longer games, take a note of the time when you usually find yourself with not enough buildings, say its the 13 minute mark, make a mental note to try and build another rax or what ever around then!

ultron87

Awesome Animals said:

Once you're fairly consistent on keeping your economy up (ie keeping up with mules and always building SCVs) you'll start to get a good feel for how many production facilities you can afford to support on X number of bases and how those production facilities will let you transition into more expansions or tech.

At your level you can get by with seeing that your money seems to be piling up and deciding whether you should throw down some more production facilities or get another expansion up.

Good tip for building with Terran is to select a group of SCVs when shift clicking to build buildings. That way if you make three barracks three SCVs will come off the line to build them, instead of one building them sequentially.

Yoshichan

They were deciding to nerf either colossi or HTs and they went for HT?!

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

Yoshichan

ultron87 said:
I wonder what a nerf to Colossi would do to 'late' game PvP.
Depends on the nerf... I just don't want them eating my marines anymore :(

I wish.

evangd007

Lord_Nergal said:
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/159215-1v1-terran-protoss-slag-pits

Anyone feel like critiquing my lowly bronze league play? Any tips would be really helpful.

Barring my terrible bumps and bad timing, I feel like I'm getting a little better each game.

1) You seem to be absolutely frightened of an early rush and therefore walled off extremely quickly. This is unnecessary.

2) Try to avoid queuing units, especially early in the game. Two SCVs in queue means that you need to wait for 50 more minerals to build your next building.

3) Don't ever stop producing SCVs. In addition, hotkey your CCs and Orbitals so that all you have to do is press the hotkey and S to build an SCV.

4) Your are very light on production structures. Late in the game you only mined gas from your expo while sitting on a ton of minerals. Classic low league "not-enough-Barracks-itis." In bronze, the easiest way to win is not with some weird tech or tactic; it generally boils down to "build things."

5) There is no reason to build all you depots near your choke. Build them out of the way so they won't get in the way of your army movement. Layering your wall isn't necessary unless you are being baneling busted in which case layering with more barracks is the better idea in the first place.

6) Scout earlier. Generally you want the SCV who made your first depot to scout. For example, you mentioned that you had trouble against cannon rushes. Well, if at that time your SCV scouts nothing in a Protoss players base, or just a pylon and forge, then that means you are being cannon rushed and should prepare the appropriate response (that being a Marauder and a bunker).

Here's an opening that can transition into pretty much anything. Learn it, do it, make it tight. The numbers is what supply number you should be making the building at. You should be making SCVs throughout, but remember, no queuing.

10 - supply depot, scout with SCV when done
12 - barracks
13 - refinery
15 - Orbital Command, Marine, second depot

From there you can get a second gas if you want to tech up or delay the gas for either more barracks and Marines/Marauders or a quick expansion. Check out Day9's Newbie Tuesdays, they will help you a lot.

ultron87

Tntnnbltn said:
'Late game PvP'? You mean after warp tech has finished?

By 'late' I mean the first major battle that usually gets decided by colossi numbers. Which is when most PvPs that aren't decided by a four-gate end.

(I put late in quotation marks for a reason).

Tntnnbltn

I really should train myself to put nexus on a control group other than 2. I need more keys for my army, but '2-E' is so automatic that it's hard to change.

Corran Horn said:
Im a history major, screw spelling.

Spelling is important for history majors I feel. :p I know it was for Pol Sci, and they are similar.

Thank you YoshiChan, evangd007, and most importantly Lord_Nergal for the tips and the initial query. It is going to help me as much as it helps him. lol

Deadman

IGN proleague got announced

http://www.ign.com/ipl/tournament-announcement

Players:

ROOTCatZ
FnaticMSITTI
SeleCT
FXOSheth
ROOTKiwikaki
VTSpades
EGIdrA
ROOTMinigun
ROOTdrewbie
EGMachine
LGAgh
FnaticFenix
sixjaxViBE
EGiNcontroL
coLstalife
EGAxslav

Commentators:

DJ Wheat
Total Biscuit
HDStarcraft and LGPainUser

When:
Thursday, April 21st to Sunday April 24th, and Thursday April 28th to Sunday May 1st at 8:00pm EST

Thursday, April 21: 6 Sets of Winner's Round 1
Friday, April 22: 2 Sets of Winner's Round 1 and Winner's Round 2
Saturday, April 23: Loser's Round 1
Sunday, April 24: Loser's Round 2
Thursday, April 28: Winner's Round 3 and Loser's Round 3
Friday, April 29: Loser's Round 4 and Loser's Round 5
Saturday, April 30: Winner's Round 4 and Loser's Round 6
Sunday, May 1: Finals

Format:

16 Player Double Elimination
First 2 Winner's Rounds: Best of 3
Winner's 3rd Round and Winner's Semifinals are Best of 5
First 3 Loser's Rounds: Best of 3
4th, 5th, 6th Loser's Rounds: Best of 5
Finals are Best of 7

Map Pool:

MLG Metalopolis
MLG Shattered Temple
MLG Shakuras Plateau
MLG Xel'Naga Caverns
GSL Cross Fire SE
GSL Crevasse
GSL Terminus RE
GSL Tal'Darim Altar

Prizes:

1st - $2500
2nd - $1500
3rd - $1000

Brackets are at the link

Seems like a "mini league" before getting the real one going some time in the future

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Season 1 looks alright but it's a test run, the commentators are pretty bad though (haven't heard PainUser before).

Yoshichan

Tntnnbltn said:
I really should train myself to put nexus on a control group other than 2. I need more keys for my army, but '2-E' is so automatic that it's hard to change.
My Hatch/Nex/OC is on 1 like a boss. (3, 7, 2 for units. 4 for rax, 5 fac, 6 starport).

Sooo weird but I got used to it :lol

Deadman

They dont mention vods, i hope they will provide them though.

And yeah the commentators are not the best.

Except for wheat.

scogoth

Ikuu said:
Season 1 looks alright but it's a test run, the commentators are pretty bad though (haven't heard PainUser before).

Are you kidding? These are the best casters in the world, theres no Husky.

ultron87

Deadman said:
They dont mention vods, i hope they will provide them though.

And yeah the commentators are not the best.

Except for wheat.

Hopefully, Wheat can hold it down. And TotalBiscuit is at least good for a laugh.

Has PainUser ever casted before?

Ikuu

scogoth said:
Are you kidding? These are the best casters in the world, theres no Husky.
Husky, recently, has been better than most of those (when he stops talking so much).

IceMarker

I've played around 12 ladder matches today, feel abrasive man. Also, I've decided for 1v1 from now on... I'm switching back to Terran full-time after months of being Random. I'll still be Random in team games though.

Bah, I have to go to work soon.

scogoth

Ikuu said:
Husky, recently, has been better than most of those (when he stops talking so much).

Husky's voice grates my ears. His voice is one of the most annoying I've ever heard, his analysis is pretty bad and he never shuts up. How is he better then most?

Ikuu

HD and TB are complete garbage, not heard PainUser and DJWheat is only good with Day9.

WedgeX

Banned
MrMister said:
I've played around 12 ladder matches today, feel abrasive man. Also, I've decided for 1v1 from now on... I'm switching back to Terran full-time after months of being Random. I'll still be Random in team games though.

Bah, I have to go to work soon.

Good to see you joining splinter and I.

to be honest, I was never a fan of TB's casting, but the man is nothing if not nice. I had the pleasure of meeting him (and Apollo etc.) last weekend and everyone is so friendly, nice and helpful.

oh yeah btw if you play zerg and you have problems dealing with the slow push, cloud's advice was just to make more lings :D

Ikuu

I'm sure he's a nice guy, doesn't mean I want to see him casting stuff. Is Cloud BM in real life like he's been on the TL forums lately :p

I just wanted to Avatar quote you.

zN04D.gif

I love Psych

ezrarh

IGN pro league looks interesting. HD isn't as awful a caster as you guys seem to be making it out to be. Granted, I haven't listened to him in a while but at least he's not as grating as Husky. The players roster is kinda weak but it's forgivable since it's just a test run.

Reding that FAQ for the IGN league kinda gives me a bit of hope for it as a whole. They aren't blowing their load on the fiest season, relatively small player pool and prizemoney.

They seem to be saying the right things as far as future events go too, bigger prizes, qaulifications and not just invites.

It's also just straight double elim so far so no confusing super biased to seeded players format.

Seems like it's going to be restricted to American based players which is a little dissapointing. Also no Tyler invite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom