• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tntnnbltn

Yesterday in the GAF chat we were discussing ways to rebalance some of the protoss mechanics...

I was just thinking... What if warp-in time depended on proximity to the gateway being used? So warping into your base would be the same time as current, but warping units to the opposite side of the map would take longer.

Do you think that type of mechanic would be a positive change?

Won

Tntnnbltn said:
Yesterday in the GAF chat we were discussing ways to rebalance some of the protoss mechanics...

I was just thinking... What if warp-in time depended on proximity to the gateway being used? So warping into your base would be the same time as current, but warping units to the opposite side of the map would take longer.

Do you think that type of mechanic would be a positive change?

Too "complex" for SC2 I think. I don't think Blizzard would want something like that.

IceMarker

raeAm.png

Nuclear Arcade 2.3 has been uploaded to Battle.net! This update finally introduces the Rank system and Stat tracking after a rough hiatus!

-- Added fully functioning rank system
-- Rank 1: 2,000 Nuke Points
-- Rank 2: 5,000 Nuke Points
-- Rank 3: 10,000 Nuke Points
-- Rank 4: 20,000 Nuke Points
-- Rank 5: 50,000 Nuke Points
-- Added fully functional stat tracking
-- Added clearer team indicators
-- Increased speed of Brutalisk pathfinding
-- Reorganized some trigger functions
Just search for "Nuclear Arcade" to play when creating or joining a game!

Pandaman said:
Qv2VN.png

Due to the precieved casualization of nontourney gaf events, we the lonely souls of the 1v1 community hereby declare the first unofficial neogaf KOTH will begin one week from today!

the rules:

- players will be assigned a random number and play sequentially.
- if a player is not present, he or she is moved to the back of the line.
- players who are twice absent for their slotted round are disqualified.
- players will be scored by number of eliminations so if you're first don't think you're doomed.
- the last player standing will start the next weeks KOTH.
- all games will be 1v1.
- the player who GG's first is the loser.
- observers must be queued for a match that night
- challenger picks the map.
- Challengers may not pick a map that has been chosen in the last 3 games.

approved maps:
MLG shattered temple
MLG metalopolis
Xel naga caverns
Shakuras plateua [1.3]
Taldarim Alter
GSL crevasse
GSL terminus RE
Typhon peaks
GSL crossfire SE
Testbug

what we are looking for:
people who want to be the boss nerds. [players]
people who can stream if possible.

Because mrmister shouldnt have to do all the work.

Quoting for new page.

:D

IceMarker

Awesome Animals said:
Heard you make some good maps MrMister, I'll try it tonight. Any other Gaffers going to be on today/night?
I'll be on, of course. We actually just did a 2v2 on it, 'tis a bit early for GAF regulars to be on.

Stats and rank systems working in full, so awesome. I'm Rank 2 and Aylinato is Rank 3. If this keeps up I may double the amount of ranks, but for now I'll stick with 5.

MrMister said:
I'll be on, of course. We actually just did a 2v2 on it, 'tis a bit early for GAF regulars to be on.

Stats and rank systems working in full, so awesome. I'm Rank 2 and Aylinato is Rank 3. If this keeps up I may double the amount of ranks, but for now I'll stick with 5.

Well I may be on soon, so hold out for me!

Kawl_USC

Does it make me a bad person if for right now I'm just practicing really nailing a 4gate opening against easy AI before heading back into the ladder? I know it means I have no skill but I so bad :(

Kawl_USC said:
Does it make me a bad person if for right now I'm just practicing really nailing a 4gate opening against easy AI before heading back into the ladder? I know it means I have no skill but I so bad :(

Not at all, one of Day[9]'s dailies talked about refining one build as you learn to play.

NukeDukem said:
I'll be on around 6pm, any1 down for some team laddering?
I'll pop on when I'm done with dinner, not sure when that will be, but should be around 6:30 at the latest.

Slavik81

Awesome Animals said:
Not at all, one of Day[9]'s dailies talked about refining one build as you learn to play.
In fact, he did exactly that: practice variations on the same build over and over again vs. an easy AI.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Kawl_USC said:
well, the philosophy is sound but id have picked a build with more options so you can make choices and take next steps.

ezrarh

Kawl_USC said:

That's okay but like Panda said, eventually you'll want to practice a proper build that can transition into mid game and eventually late game. It'll get you a lot of games but once people stop it, you'll have to learn something else. So I guess it's okay if you want to practice basic mechanics.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kawl_USC said:
Its a build every protoss must know, so its good to practice it. But don't be a one trick pony (not you panda).

Kawl_USC

I thought 4gate was a pretty stable build that could transition into a later build, especially if probes weren't being cut to get the gates up sooner. If its not, what is a better build to learn that can go into late game situations better? 3 gate/robo? I'm a pretty noobie Protoss.

Spl1nter

Kawl_USC said:
I thought 4gate was a pretty stable build that could transition into a later build, especially if probes weren't being cut to get the gates up sooner. If its not, what is a better build to learn that can go into late game situations better? 3 gate/robo? I'm a pretty noobie Protoss.

Just 3 gate. There are quite a few variants.

Kawl_USC said:

It depends on what the matchup is...

PvP: 4 gate is so deadly, many consider it a must. The only thing that I think is even viable against an aggressive 4gate is a defensive 4gate or a 3 stalker rush into robo play, but this requires PERFECT play! any mistakes will most likely cost you the game

PvT: 3gate robo is good, very stable, allows you to get an observer out to see what they are doing and to stop any kind of banshee harass.

3gate expand is good too, BUT it is very susceptible against cloak banshees so you have to scout proactively and react accordingly.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/3_Gateway_Expansion

I have seen many good top players such as Response and ROOTMinigun on their streams try 1 gate or 2 gate expands very effectively as well but I don't have a lot of experience with this.

Stargate play is usually rare, but good in certain situations. 3gate voidray all-ins are pretty good against a terran that has walled in because you can attack his buildings pretty safely as your voidray gives high ground vision, but otherwise, stargate play isn't common because marines just rape any air units a protoss can make.

PvZ: 3gate sentry expands are most common and safe: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/3-Gate_Sentry_Expand

You can also try some forge fast expands into any transition that you want, whether it is stargate, robo, or heavy gates, all are good choices but your decisions should be largely influenced by what you scout in the opponents base so you can react appropriately.

You can find a lot of good information at teamliquid.net and their liquipedia

Trickster

Has any terran here of gaf tried experimenting with getting quick thors agains't protoss in order to negate forcefields? Because I just got totally destroyed by someone doing that.

Granted I probably stuck on low tier units too long, but it still seemed like something that could be very powerful considering that it's not really something the protoss can scout right away since they need an observer, and by the time the spot it, they will already have invested much gas in sentries.

But I'm curious as to what people think about it ?

scogoth

Trickster said:
Has any terran here of gaf tried experimenting with getting quick thors agains't protoss in order to negate forcefields? Because I just got totally destroyed by someone doing that.

Granted I probably stuck on low tier units too long, but it still seemed like something that could be very powerful considering that it's not really something the protoss can scout right away since they need an observer, and by the time the spot it, they will already have invested much gas in sentries.

But I'm curious as to what people think about it ?

How many sentries are you building up? If they attack with a thor so early on that you only have sentries then it would have been easily scouted by early gas and armoury. If its later then they've invested so much in thor tech you just go and kill them with a larger army. If its much much later then you should be scouting to see that tech and counter with immortal.

Trickster

scogoth said:
How many sentries are you building up? If they attack with a thor so early on that you only have sentries then it would have been easily scouted by early gas and armoury. If its later then they've invested so much in thor tech you just go and kill them with a larger army. If its much much later then you should be scouting to see that tech and counter with immortal.

I think I had around 8 sentries and he probably attacked around the 11 minute mark. The reason I didn't just go to kill him when I scouted him was because I didn't have all that many units myself since I was going for a pretty fast expo.

Slavik81

Trickster said:
I think I had around 8 sentries and he probably attacked around the 11 minute mark. The reason I didn't just go to kill him when I scouted him was because I didn't have all that many units myself since I was going for a pretty fast expo.
I've been killed going fast expand as Protoss by a Terran on a Thor push. It was probably a little later than the push you defended, as he had maybe 10 marines, 2 banshees, a raven and 3 thors.

He suggested that I shouldn't ever try to expand before Terran. Not sure that's actually true. I think with more Zealots after expanding rather than Stalkers, I would have won.

But I don't play enough/watch enough recent high-level matches to really know.

Trickster

Slavik81 said:
I've been killed going fast expand as Protoss by a Terran on a Thor push. It was probably a little later than the push you defended, as he had maybe 10 marines, 2 banshees, a raven and 3 thors.

He suggested that I shouldn't ever try to expand before Terran. Not sure that's actually true. I think with more Zealots after expanding rather than Stalkers, I would have won.

But I don't play enough/watch enough recent high-level matches to really know.

That's actually pretty much the exact same unit combination that my opponent used. Only he had more marines and banshees

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Won my placement into diamond. Proceed to lose 5 in a row. But since at 0 points im fine! -,- fucking cheesey zergs.

Won first game...already in top 10...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corran Horn said:
Won my placement into diamond. Proceed to lose 5 in a row. But since at 0 points im fine! -,- fucking cheesey zergs.

Won first game...already in top 10...
I might ladder a bit more since it doesn't show losses.
I'm petty like that.

Strongly considering picking up random, but I played a game with a buddy and my macro is complete shit. Well at least the spending part. I had 70 SCVs at like 16 mins. Need like 10 rax to pump units. Hit with a ghost timing attack with meds so it didn't matter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom